Author Topic: 'Cover your kid's ears' when listening to Before I Self Destruct, Fif warns.  (Read 603 times)

Elano

"It's a catch-22," the rapper said over the weekend in Las Vegas, referring to the criticism he received for Curtis, an album that he calls "softer" than Get Rich or Die Tryin' and The Massacre. "They'll say, 'Oh, it's too aggressive.' ... Soon as you do something that's a little more lighthearted, and you can play the whole record and feel like you don't have to cover your kid's ears, I get penalized for it. So get ready to cover your kid's ears. Now I'm really interested in seeing how the public responds."

Fif is promising a decidedly harsher edge on Before I Self Destruct, and he's been working with Eminem, Dr. Dre and Scott Storch. Storch produced the album's first look, "Get Up," but the G-Unit Chairman of the Board says we'll hear another song before the album's December 9 due date — a definite thunder clap.

" 'Get Up,' is just the appetizer," he said on Saturday, in a separate interview at the BET Hip-Hop Awards. "I got so much more, so many different records to feel out and see what direction I wanna go in next. I've been writing this record for a year. I started Before I Self Destruct before I started Curtis. Conceptually, this one has been very well-groomed."

Unlike Curtis, which had cameos from Justin Timberlake, Mary J. Blige and Robin Thicke, it doesn't seem like 50 is too interested in having collaborators stop by the studio this time around. Eminem is the only name he shared. (The Queens native described the record "Norman Bates Motel" as "the return of Slim Shady.")

"So, far I've kinda kept to myself and wrote what I felt was exciting from my perspective," Fif said. "It's always fun working with Em for me. He's in a space where he has the luxury of just being able to sit down. The rest of us ... me, I do the actual footwork. Dre hasn't had an album out in seven years. Em — two years. Me — seven, eight months. They send me out to test the waters, and everyone else will jump in the tub. I stay a little more active. Em is by far the biggest rap artist, period. I'm the largest hip-hop touring artist. I travel more places than he travels to be in front of a live audience."

50 traveled to Detroit to stay with Em twice while recording. One time was over the span of a weekend, and Em encouraged his signee to carry out his idea of shooting a movie to accompany the album.

"He's like, 'Go, just do it. If you wanna go, just do it, and we'll figure everything out after the fact,' " 50 recalled. "There were a few technical questions, considering this is my fourth and final actual studio album. My fifth album requirement [to Shady/Aftermath] is a greatest-hits requirement."

The film "Before I Self Destruct" will be packaged with the album on December 9.

Skeptic

• Muthafuckin' OG
sounds like it could be real dope

ima def cop it when it drops, feelin get up
« Last Edit: October 22, 2008, 07:22:57 AM by Skeptic »

Invincible

Dre hasn't had an album out in seven years. Em — two years.

This must be some old info, either that or 50 doesn't have a clue what hes talking about.

Webby05

• Muthafuckin' Double OG
sounds better than covering my ears when i heard Curtis lol

Fuck Your Existence

• Muthafuckin' Don!
sounds better than covering my ears when i heard Curtis lol
LOL

MediumL

This must be some old info, either that or 50 doesn't have a clue what hes talking about.

the Re Up
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/DjGVAwyb454" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/DjGVAwyb454</a>

Lunatic

i've got a real good feelin bout this cd for real..
Co-Director of Site Content For Raptalk.Net
Staff Writer For WordOfSouth.Com
Staff Writer For Illuminati2G.Net
Staff Writer For SoPrupRadio.com

BIG.DADDY

• Muthafuckin' OG
  • back da fuck up before you get smacked the fuck up
do you really think 50 is capable of making a good cd anymore? lets face it he can rap but, his subject matter is VERY limited. i mean, i dont want to hear another album about how much crack you sold, how many guns you have, how many bitches you fucked, etc. i may be alone here but goodness, lets see a little growth from a lyrics standpoint. And enough with the same old hooks. Sometimes i wish he would just mute his vocals and just give us a instrumental album because the beats are always on point.
JUST MY OPINION.

The Phoenix

• Muthafuckin' Double OG
  • Rise...The Phoenix
do you really think 50 is capable of making a good cd anymore? lets face it he can rap but, his subject matter is VERY limited. i mean, i dont want to hear another album about how much crack you sold, how many guns you have, how many bitches you fucked, etc. i may be alone here but goodness, lets see a little growth from a lyrics standpoint. And enough with the same old hooks. Sometimes i wish he would just mute his vocals and just give us a instrumental album because the beats are always on point.
JUST MY OPINION.
Well put.  I just couldn't get into Curtis.
Time for a change...bring it!

Black Excellence

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Niggaz Hatin' On Me But They Bitch Ain't
cover your ears cause it's gonna be trash. what could a 50 say that's so blatant and hard that hasn't been said by a more gangsta emcee ?
"Summa y'all #mediocres more worried bout my goings on than u is about ya own.... But that ain't none of my business so.....I'll just #SipTeaForKermit #ifitaintaboutdamoney #2sugarspleaseFollow," - T.I.

Matty

its not a catch 22 where people will complain if his music is too hard or too soft. people didn't like curtis because it was crap, nothing to do with how adult or non-adult the content was. grow up 50.

Cios

• Muthafuckin' Double OG

the Re Up

Either way, Dr. Dre's 2001 dropped 9 years ago and not 7.

Meho

• Muthafuckin' Don!
I don't trust shit what 50 says, he always know what to say before the album drops. However, the fact that he's been working on the album since 06, Dre and Em being heavily involved again, no corny guest apperances,  "Get Up" and "Norman Bates Motel" makes the project look good so far.

BIG D O

• 'G'
  • Spreadin' That Good Music....
how bout we just cover up our own ears instead?

or even better how bout we just don't ever put ourselves in a situation where we have to hear 50 Cent's music....

Out Now!!

Download for free here:
www.myspace.com/d_o_beatz

CHECK THE ILLEST BLOG ON THE NET:
www.purehip-hop.blogspot.com

MontrealCity's Most

• Muthafuckin' Don!

i guess he juts cant count