Author Topic: Why do you identify yourself politically.  (Read 152 times)

M Dogg™

• Greatest of All Time
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Feel the Power of the Darkside
Why do you identify yourself politically.
« on: November 02, 2008, 01:27:12 AM »
I was reading the history of the Democrat party, the party which I belong, and I for the life of me cannot see how the oldest party in America is still around today. As a Democrat, I can agree with my parties beginnings and present, but it's history is fucked up, and just out right confusing. I looked at my party to see how I am shaped politically. After all, my party still hold Jefferson/Jackson dinners, the modern civil rights party holding dinners in honor of slave holders. How is that the party I'm part of.

My party started out as an opposition party, there were the Federalist who wanted to pass the constitution, and then there were these group of forefathers who basically wanted to change the constitution. Lead by Thomas Jefferson, they wanted to make sure our government made sure our rights were protected. From there the Democrat-Republicans were born. Democrat was a label no one wanted then, so they mainly known as the Democrat. This history I can identify myself with. Jefferson's vision for America was one of straight democracy, one that every person had rights and votes, even if he himself was a slave owner, the vision was there.

As time went on, the Democrats went from opposition party to dominate party, calling themselves Democrats and Andrew Jackson took out the National Bank, wanting instead a gold standard. To my Ron Paul people, this is an era you'd be a Democrat. As time moved on though, slavery took over the nations attention, the Democrats were fighting with themselves, which left the door open for the Republican party to come to power. Once the Republican party came, the Democrats lost power of the country but gain power in the South. My party was in shams, and basically a party that had big business and had a silver standard swing to it. Until 1912, when Woodrow Wilson became the first progressive president, and from there FDR put the liberal stamp on the party.

Since 1912, my party has become more liberal, progressive and what you see today. FDR brought in black voters, and for a time this united black voters and the racist southern Democrats to the same party, until the Democrats supported civil rights which divided the party and forced the southern Democrats, or Dixicrats, out of the party and they joined the Republicans. The remaining Democrats have been in a sorry state, basically carrying on their opposition party mentality they've had since day one. The Democrats seem to be the opposition to the Republicans who run the country. Well until now...

So for me, the title Democrat might have some other meaning. When Bill Clinton was president, he still was someone that went against what the Democrats stood for, so we could still oppose him in some aspects. Now we have what we want, a full out liberal. What will happen, and how will our opposition party respond. I know onething, I'm interested to see what it's like to be the majority party to the first time since I started paying attention to this stuff.

M Dogg™

• Greatest of All Time
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Feel the Power of the Darkside
Re: Why do you identify yourself politically.
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2008, 10:59:34 PM »
the unofficial theme song of the Democrats.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/gqsT4xnKZPg&amp;hl=en&amp;fs=1" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/gqsT4xnKZPg&amp;hl=en&amp;fs=1</a>

Sikotic™

« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2008, 11:35:50 PM »
I try not to ID myself.
My Chihuahuas Are Eternal

THA SAUCE HOUSE

LONDON!!

« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2008, 05:28:07 AM »
obviously i'm not from the states, but my perspective is international and i feel like the democrats is the best party communities of colour, anyone really, any human being full stop who is on a level, but especially human beings of colour, i feel like its the only party us human beings of colour can get to help our needs and situations in a pratical sense and thats real,

but it has been a lesser of two evils for a long time, in my view and it was shocking to hear about the democrat history pre the 60's, but it has still been able to produce people like rfk, dennis kucinuch and cythia mckinney and so on and so on and hopefully wit obama as president, we will be able to hold him account for the situation the inner city's are in and the problems they face authentically, hopefully, remind him to look in the mirror you know, i hope we can get him to represent everyone, not just the middle classes and upwards as it has been for so long you know, true stories

but me personally i ain't left or right, i'm neither, i don't class myself as any of that, i'm liberal on some things like weed for example, then i'm right wing on other things, like on paedophilles, rapists, voyeurs, sex offender piece of pussies, my views are on the extreme right of ghegis khan on that type of shit, truss me on that, i just believe in common sense, simple as, thats the way i roll, i'm a common sense guy, trust
"get this money by any means nessassary"