Author Topic: Must See TV tonight on PBS  (Read 252 times)

Javier

• Muthafuckin' Don!
Must See TV tonight on PBS
« on: November 11, 2008, 12:58:29 PM »
This documentary was recently released to a very limited theater count, but it will now be shown on PBS!

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/atwater/
(film trailer)
http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/boogie_man_the_lee_atwater_story/ (92% Fresh Rating, 25 reviews)

Frontline presents

Boogie Man: The Lee Atwater Story

In the wake of yet another hard-fought and bitter presidential campaign, FRONTLINE presents a spirited and revealing biography of Lee Atwater, the charming, Machiavellian godfather of modern take-no-prisoners Republican political campaigns. Through eye-opening interviews with Atwater’s closest friends and adversaries, the film explores the life of the controversial political operative who mentored Karl Rove and George W. Bush, led the GOP to historic victories, and wrote the party’s winning playbook. The story tracks Atwater’s rise from his beginnings in South Carolina as a high school election kingmaker all the way to the White House and his subsequent battle with cancer and final search for forgiveness and redemption. To Democrats, Atwater was a political assassin who one Congresswoman dubbed “the most evil man in America,” but to Republicans he remains a hero for his deep understanding of the American voter and his unapologetic vision of politics as warfare.

Turf Hitta

• Muthafuckin' Don!
Re: Must See TV tonight on PBS
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2008, 04:27:25 PM »
and why is this "must see?"

Javier

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2008, 04:34:20 PM »
Why not?  It's getting good reviews, and it will most likely be nominated or even win a Best Documentary award at the upcoming Oscars.  It's important to know how the GOP was able to form a strong coalition that dominated the politics of our country for the last 30 years. It's a biography by the man who stated this bullshit

Atwater: As to the whole Southern strategy that Harry Dent and others put together in 1968, opposition to the Voting Rights Act would have been a central part of keeping the South. Now [the new Southern Strategy of Ronald Reagan] doesn’t have to do that. All you have to do to keep the South is for Reagan to run in place on the issues he’s campaigned on since 1964… and that’s fiscal conservatism, balancing the budget, cut taxes, you know, the whole cluster...

Questioner: But the fact is, isn’t it, that Reagan does get to the Wallace voter and to the racist side of the Wallace voter by doing away with legal services, by cutting down on food stamps...?

Atwater: You start out in 1954 by saying, “Nigger, nigger, nigger.” By 1968 you can't say “nigger”—that hurts you. Backfires. So you say stuff like forced busing, states' rights and all that stuff. You're getting so abstract now [that] you're talking about cutting taxes, and all these things you're talking about are totally economic things and a byproduct of them is [that] blacks get hurt worse than whites.

And subconsciously maybe that is part of it. I'm not saying that. But I'm saying that if it is getting that abstract, and that coded, that we are doing away with the racial problem one way or the other. You follow me—because obviously sitting around saying, “We want to cut this,” is much more abstract than even the busing thing, and a hell of a lot more abstract than “Nigger, nigger.”

The truth needs to be spread.

white Boy

• The totally random poster
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • http://bigbowlofsoup.tumblr.com/
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2008, 07:15:47 PM »
intresting, i caught the last 45 min

Turf Hitta

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2008, 08:18:30 PM »
Why not?  It's getting good reviews, and it will most likely be nominated or even win a Best Documentary award at the upcoming Oscars.  It's important to know how the GOP was able to form a strong coalition that dominated the politics of our country for the last 30 years. It's a biography by the man who stated this bullshit

I wasn't saying its not worth watching, just curious as to why you would call it "must see," especially when the GOP and its history is pretty well covered in most junior college history 101 courses. That probably came out wrong but fuck it I'm tired so you're gonna just have to deal with my tired asshole way of saying things for now you son of a rotten cunt! (jk)

Javier

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2008, 11:34:45 PM »
I didn't really take it that way.  I really do feel that it's a must see, since it's well done.

white Boy

• The totally random poster
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • http://bigbowlofsoup.tumblr.com/
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2008, 03:37:42 AM »
its def an intresting view of those elections, esp cause i was like 2 when they happened, and theres an intresting struggle that happens in the movie about how to view him (good or bad), i felt that they werent really biased 1 way or another and kind of let you decide, at least from what i saw

Þŕiņçë

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Cold Hearted Son Of A Bitch
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2008, 09:32:41 AM »
That was totally random.