Author Topic: What it means to be and Independant individual.  (Read 72 times)

infinite59

What it means to be and Independant individual.
« on: March 12, 2002, 07:37:40 PM »
I read this in a fictional short story by Cornel West.  The Harvard philosopher who made a hip-hop album.  These aren't neccasarily his thoughts, but the thoughts of one of the characters in his book.  I thought they were interesting.

"To be independant is not only to be free, but also lonely.  Most folks can't stand loneliness.  Only a select few have the courage to endure such pain.  To be independant is to be an outsider.  Such persons possibly enrich the lives of others, but they usually live self-destructive lives themselves.  To live truly free is to clearly see the true depths of life.  This demands that you step to the edge of a slippery cliff.  Few avoid falling over, and the bottom down below has no cushion."

Ya'll can comment on what it means to be an individual and if ya'll consider yourselves individuals or conformists.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 04:00:00 PM by 1034398800 »

Dope Money Clean

Re: What it means to be and Independant individual
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2002, 07:53:33 PM »
im definitely   an   independent  individual .        sometimes  i feel like  nobody understands  who  i am   or  ever  will .      and  thats not neccessarily  a   bad thing .       I   LIKE  IT  .   :)

« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 04:00:00 PM by 1034398800 »