Author Topic: What would it take...  (Read 1339 times)

NEW WEST 2012

• 'G'
Re: What would it take...
« Reply #15 on: November 16, 2008, 02:13:12 PM »
WE NEED A GHETTO SOUNDSCAN TO, 5,000 COPIES IS SIVER, 10,000 COPIES IZ GOLD, 20,000 IS PLATINUM,

Birdie

• Muthafuckin' Double OG
« Reply #16 on: November 16, 2008, 02:16:02 PM »
WE NEED A GHETTO SOUNDSCAN TO, 5,000 COPIES IS SIVER, 10,000 COPIES IZ GOLD, 20,000 IS PLATINUM,

Shut the f*ck up mayne. You're in the wrong thread and nobody is interested in...

By the way:

It's funky enough!

NEW WEST 2012

• 'G'
« Reply #17 on: November 16, 2008, 02:22:53 PM »
BITCH ASS NIGGA!!

Shut the f*ck up mayne. You're in the wrong thread and nobody is interested in...

By the way:

D-Nice

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I Made Jesus Walks/So I Ain't Never Going To Hell
« Reply #18 on: November 16, 2008, 02:27:24 PM »
Mostly true but what I've seen these last two years with Damizza, Dae One, Bishop, Taje etc.. they all work together really well and put out damn good albums.. which they have been putting out for free.. and with ALL of them I would have bought them.

Yeah I agree 100 with you on that. The majority of quality music from the west this year has almost all been free on dubcnn. That I have really been feeling at the moment.

NEW WEST 2012

• 'G'
« Reply #19 on: November 16, 2008, 02:28:15 PM »
REALTALK THOUGH, I WOULD HAVE LIKE TO SEE A CASHMONEY LIKE LABEL ON THE WEST, IF DRE PUT OUT ALBUMS LIKE CASHMONEY, I THINK WE'D BE FINE, I THINK IF DRE HAD A MORE ACTIVE LABEL HE COULD HAVE SIGNED J ROCK, GLASSES, PROB, AND NIPSEY AND PUT THEM OUT BY NOW!!!, REALLY IF AFTHERMATH WENT HARDAND PUT OUT RECORDS LIKE CASHMONEY THE WEST WOULD BE FINE!!!!

akcranker - The Dangerous Crew Movement

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #20 on: November 16, 2008, 02:31:21 PM »
But Aftermath isn't Westcoast!!!  And were all tired of dealing with Dre and his slow ass label.

Time to create something strictly for the westcoast that puts on it's own.

Crockett

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Smile Boys Were About To Retire
« Reply #21 on: November 16, 2008, 02:56:18 PM »
But Aftermath isn't Westcoast!!!  And were all tired of dealing with Dre and his slow ass label.

Time to create something strictly for the westcoast that puts on it's own.

yeaaa i feel that 100%..... theres a few issues.... arise.. fist off i tihnk that the west as a side is not unified enough.. there are to many lables. every one wants to be boss. i mean theres lots of great rappers but these days im more into the ogs like celly quik eiht atl 4tay... id rather see the ogs come back and do big that new cats doin big.. thats just my honest opinion.. but techniec dubb union and other new cats with talent need more exposure.. i buy hip hop records on a daily basis. i surport the music. and to be honest id like to see all these cats doin hard work get something back.. i wish good thigns to happen for them hard workers

Jimmy H.

« Reply #22 on: November 16, 2008, 03:10:55 PM »
Honestly I don't think we want any of them running a label... maybe maybe Cube but none of the others.  Dre takes forever to put out a record and don't put on the west.  Ice T don't really fuck with rap anymore.  Snoop.. well I like him but his production and features and shit just don't work.  I think he would be horrible at running a label.  Cube, WC & Crazy Toones are the closest to putting some real westcoast shit together.
  Actually, Cube would be the worst out of them all. Does nobody remember the whole Lench Mob fiasco and various other business issues? Cube is constantly busy between doing records and making movies.

I don't think the West Coast competing with a major label like Interscope or Arista is even a reality. And it's not just a West thing. For any upstart label to just come together and compete with the biggest money-making companies in the world is not gonna happen. For starters, you are talking about building a company around artist C.E.O.'s (producers are still artists at heart) and anytime you have that, you have problems especially when you mix one or two. You also need a superstar who has both a business mind and a willingness to create new stars. You don't have a Dr. Dre fresh off of Ruthless waiting around these days. Just look at the Death Row situation and keep in mind that Death Row was in bed with Jimmy Iovine, not trying to go head to head with him. They had Dre who was a marketable name that they could build on based off his involvement in the success of N.W.A. and was willing to work in bringing in new talent like Snoop, RBX, etc. He also had competition with Eazy and Ruthless, which brought a lot of interest to the table.

There's nothing like that right now. I can't think of any names on the West Coast that would be big enough to pull something like this off, have the business savy, and be able to maintain their egos when things started to bubble. It needs to be a gradual process. I think something could have happened in 2005 when Snoop and Game were building toward West unity but that momentum came and went and isn't likely to come back. In order for there to be a chance at a major West label, there needs to be more than one active West Coast artist that is doing big numbers. A lot of it will depend on whether the West Coast artists that are already on major labels (Bishop Lamont, Glasses Malone) end up dropping albums that are hits. You can have a hundred-million dollar company with nothing but West Coast artists and producers but if the sales demographic is only West Coast fans, it's just a "money pit". There ain't no short cuts. If there was money that could be made out West right now, there would be major labels checking for it. And who is gonna want to put the kind of money it would require to start this movement up if there is no considerable profit to be made. It's a common sense thing. Business men aren't gonna care where the product is coming from. They're looking at one thing. The bottom line. 

NEW WEST 2012

• 'G'
« Reply #23 on: November 16, 2008, 03:37:29 PM »
SEE YOU HAVE TO CREATE HYPE, NIGGAZ DONT KNOW HOW TO CREATE HYPE, WHEN GAME CAME OUT ON GUNIT, THE HYPE SURROUNDING THAT WAS PERFECT, GAME COULD HAVE SOLD PLATINUM OFF HYPE, I DIDNT HEAR HIM RAP, BUT I KNEW ABOUT HIM, IF A OLDER CAT JUST CO-SIGN A NIGGA THAT CREATES HYPE, JUST CO-SIGN, "DRE COULD GO ON 106 AND PARK WHENEVER HE FEELS LIKE IT AND TAKE BISHOP WIT HIM AND TELL THE CROWD WHEN TO BUY HIS ALBUM AND GET THE VIDEO PLAYED THAT HOUR ON BET" LETS SAY BISHOP ALBUM CAME OUT 2 WEEK AFTER THAT,  8) INSTANT HYPE!!!!!!!!! COPIES SOLD, AT LEAST 250,000, THEN DO THE SAME FOR NIPSEY AND PROB, ...................................I GET IT!!!, TO BAD DRE OR SNOOP DONT

LooN3y

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Paid Tha Cost 2 Be Tha Boss
« Reply #24 on: November 16, 2008, 03:41:28 PM »
SEE YOU HAVE TO CREATE HYPE, NIGGAZ DONT KNOW HOW TO CREATE HYPE, WHEN GAME CAME OUT ON GUNIT, THE HYPE SURROUNDING THAT WAS PERFECT, GAME COULD HAVE SOLD PLATINUM OFF HYPE, I DIDNT HEAR HIM RAP, BUT I KNEW ABOUT HIM, IF A OLDER CAT JUST CO-SIGN A NIGGA THAT CREATES HYPE, JUST CO-SIGN, "DRE COULD GO ON 106 AND PARK WHENEVER HE FEELS LIKE IT AND TAKE BISHOP WIT HIM AND TELL THE CROWD WHEN TO BUY HIS ALBUM AND GET THE VIDEO PLAYED THAT HOUR ON BET" LETS SAY BISHOP ALBUM CAME OUT 2 WEEK AFTER THAT,  8) INSTANT HYPE!!!!!!!!! COPIES SOLD, AT LEAST 250,000, THEN DO THE SAME FOR NIPSEY AND PROB, ...................................I GET IT!!!, TO BAD DRE OR SNOOP DONT

lol wutta trip i remember bumpin ur shit on the way to school a 4 years back

Tha Reella - Slap A Nigga Up Like Wyatt Earp / Sig downsized, too big.

LONDON!!

« Reply #25 on: November 16, 2008, 03:48:49 PM »
from an outside type of view, just from living in the hood before and living in the hood now in London, UK, ain't there too many street issues that come into it when trying to bring so many people together to make that positive bread, especially in cali, but everywhere is the same you know, i just feel like its a good idea but you have to get like minded individuals who already have money on a big boy level to get that to pop off

plus i tried to get a record label wit my own distribution company on and poppin way back in the day, but came over so many obstacles over here in the UK and i'm not trying to get in the music bizness or anything like that anymore, truss me on that, i've moved off that time ago, but i know just like over here, only a few labels control the distribution shit in the States and its just like the streets, they ain't letting no one easily just get into the game and take food off there plate, truss and you can't get all grimey, and switch on them and get all gooney goon on them, trust me on that, that won't work wit these squares either, for real, its fucked up

only if the big dogs wit money, the real ones, only if the real ones wit bread could see the bigger picture and team up and put street allegiances to the side and link up and create a black super label or distribution company it would be a beautiful revolutionary thing, truss

and it can be done, you just have to look at how og's get down in chi-town, thats like a next cali, wit all the street crews, black crews, latino crews, white crews, but they all put that shit on to the side on most cases to link up as super crews to get that money, folk nation, people nation, you see what i'm saying, thats in the streets, now why can't human being brothers and sisters, the real ones, no corny niggas, that always put a spanner in the work, do that shit on a music level, thats what i'm talking about, truss, thats the way i see it, real talk
"get this money by any means nessassary"

NEW WEST 2012

• 'G'
« Reply #26 on: November 16, 2008, 03:57:35 PM »
LOL, WELL GET MY NEW SHIT DISKO "TURNT UP" ITS A BANGER, I PROMISE!!!  8)

lol wutta trip i remember bumpin ur shit on the way to school a 4 years back

Jimmy H.

« Reply #27 on: November 16, 2008, 06:33:23 PM »

Not that simple. It might look like from that perspective but it's not like Dre ain't co-signed a dude and had him go nowhere. Dre was a big part of Game getting over but there were a lot of other things too. If you look at the artists that have blown up on Aftermath (50, Eminem, Game), they aren't just great rappers who had Dr. Dre beats. There was a compelling story to go with it. In working with them, Dre has become a bigger name and that is the secret. If you're not bringing something to the table that the consumer can fuck with, it makes the next guy who fucks with you less valuable. People only see things one-sided but when you co-sign a guy, his success falls on your shoulders and people don't wanna hear excuses if the shit is a flop. Look at "The Big Bang". In my opinion, a very underrated album but it doesn't change the public perception involved with it not being up to Dre's standards in terms of how it is received.

The bottom line is a gold album might be the shit to a new artist but you put someone like Dr. Dre's name on it and it's viewed as a disappointment and a slump. Now, what person in their right mind wants to build talent like that? If you're not giving Dre or Snoop the kind of boost that they giving you then it ain't worth it to them and they aren't the only one. The music industry isn't about "who can I help", it's about "who can help me"? Say what you will about Eminem and 50 Cent but they are at least able to create interest in their projects that is not based on Dre's involvement. It's like that old saying about teaching a man to fish instead of giving him one. 

NEW WEST 2012

• 'G'
« Reply #28 on: November 16, 2008, 06:52:27 PM »
TRUE, BUT IN THAT CASE PEOPLE LIKE NEW FACES, THERE IS NO HYPE TO BE BUILD AROUND BUSTA RYTHMES, I KNOW WHAT TO EXPECT FROM BUSTA, WHAT ABOUT A BRAND NEW FACE, ID LIKE TO SEE DRE ON 106 WIT A ARTIST FROM COMPTON THATS UNDER 30 OR 25, OR JUST FROM LA, BUSTA GOT A FANBASE, IT HAS NOTHIN TO DO WIT DRE, IF THE WS LEGENDS PUT TALENT IN THE GAME, IT WOULD STICK, I BET ON IT, WE NEED EXPOSURE FOR NEW ARTIST, NOT YOUTUBE OR MYSPACE, BUT REAL EXPOSURE, GAME IS IN THE GAME, WHY CANT OTHERS?? IT AINT ABOUT RAPPIN OR MUSIC, IM TELLIN YOU

Not that simple. It might look like from that perspective but it's not like Dre ain't co-signed a dude and had him go nowhere. Dre was a big part of Game getting over but there were a lot of other things too. If you look at the artists that have blown up on Aftermath (50, Eminem, Game), they aren't just great rappers who had Dr. Dre beats. There was a compelling story to go with it. In working with them, Dre has become a bigger name and that is the secret. If you're not bringing something to the table that the consumer can fuck with, it makes the next guy who fucks with you less valuable. People only see things one-sided but when you co-sign a guy, his success falls on your shoulders and people don't wanna hear excuses if the shit is a flop. Look at "The Big Bang". In my opinion, a very underrated album but it doesn't change the public perception involved with it not being up to Dre's standards in terms of how it is received.

The bottom line is a gold album might be the shit to a new artist but you put someone like Dr. Dre's name on it and it's viewed as a disappointment and a slump. Now, what person in their right mind wants to build talent like that? If you're not giving Dre or Snoop the kind of boost that they giving you then it ain't worth it to them and they aren't the only one. The music industry isn't about "who can I help", it's about "who can help me"? Say what you will about Eminem and 50 Cent but they are at least able to create interest in their projects that is not based on Dre's involvement. It's like that old saying about teaching a man to fish instead of giving him one. 

Jimmy H.

« Reply #29 on: November 16, 2008, 08:13:47 PM »
TRUE, BUT IN THAT CASE PEOPLE LIKE NEW FACES, THERE IS NO HYPE TO BE BUILD AROUND BUSTA RYTHMES, I KNOW WHAT TO EXPECT FROM BUSTA, WHAT ABOUT A BRAND NEW FACE, ID LIKE TO SEE DRE ON 106 WIT A ARTIST FROM COMPTON THATS UNDER 30 OR 25, OR JUST FROM LA, BUSTA GOT A FANBASE, IT HAS NOTHIN TO DO WIT DRE, IF THE WS LEGENDS PUT TALENT IN THE GAME, IT WOULD STICK, I BET ON IT, WE NEED EXPOSURE FOR NEW ARTIST, NOT YOUTUBE OR MYSPACE, BUT REAL EXPOSURE, GAME IS IN THE GAME, WHY CANT OTHERS?? IT AINT ABOUT RAPPIN OR MUSIC, IM TELLIN YOU

But I feel like it requires more than just that. I will agree that Dre being active in the promotion is a must when it comes to his artists but him just going on BET, MTV, or wherever and introducing a new artist is not enough to blow up the talent. More so, I think it comes down to the movements as well. There isn't a very active West Coast movement at the moment. Xzibit's situation as far as branching out with his own artists, groups, seemed to fall through before it really had a chance. Game's Black Wallstreet scenerio is still uncertain in terms of who the next one to blow up is. It takes a lot of time to properly build up new stars and relying on two or three people to hold up a Coast is counterproductive. The biggest thing I see with these veterans mentoring the younger talent is when the paths seperate, people are more interested in pushing for more songs from the two than in looking at what the younger guy is doing with others.