Author Topic: Scarface: The Grand Finale (new interview November 30th, 2008 )  (Read 229 times)

Elano

Scarface: The Grand Finale (new interview November 30th, 2008 )
« on: December 01, 2008, 03:25:25 AM »
Scarface is dead. And it didn’t take a disgruntled business partner seeking revenge to take this Scarface out. Not coked out of his mind, but somewhat like the fictional Tony Montana, the very real Brad Jordan is staring down his last stand, preparing to go out with one final act of defiant gangsterism before his days atop the game are over.
Emeritus is Scarface’s grand finale. Deriving his ninth solo album’s title from a word defined as, “one retired from professional life but permitted to retain as an honorary title the rank of the last office held,” ‘Face is officially announcing to the world that he’s done with the rap game.

After the December release of Emeritus , Scarface will be retired from his emcee profession, having attained the rank of legend over the course of his nearly 20-year career.

Or will he? Rappers “retiring” has become the tool du jour for those artists needing the threat of never recording again as leverage in contract renegotiations (see: Too Short), or just those artists engaged in a self-serving act of egomania (see: Jay-Z, and apparently now Lupe Fiasco). Even ‘Face himself has previously threatened to put down the mic for good, a few years following the release of his 2002 classic solo effort, The Fix, and a year prior to his eighth effort, Made, was released.
So HipHopDX took it upon ourselves to at least attempt to find out if ‘Face is really serious about Emeritus being his last stand. During our recent convo with the Houston O.G. he insisted that his days as emcee Scarface are indeed over, claiming that he is fed up with Hip Hop’s stagnation and currently preparing for a post-rap life as a musician (Mr. Jordan is a multi-instrumentalist) creating more original compositions in other genres of music including rock and funk. But in true-to-rapper form, The Artist Formerly Known As Scarface also hinted that a group effort with another legendary spitter (or two) may be on the way, a deal with Jigga might be forthcoming, and that after Barack Obama is inaugurated as our 44th President all current plans for his future might change.

HipHopDX: First and foremost, why you lying to the people and saying you done? You know ‘Face can’t stay away from that mic.
Scarface: [Laughs] Like I said before, I’m not done. I just think that the whole Scarface ride [is] limiting me [from reaching] my full potential as an artist, whether it be [in] Hip Hop, rock or whatever. I think Scarface just [showcased] a one dimensional side of my musical [ability].

DX: So you gonna reemerge as a guitartist, a band leader, like what’s the next move?
Scarface: I’ma do a few Rock albums. I’ma do a few rock songs on some other stuff… I’m playing guitar on a song with The [Flaming] Hellcats, a Rock band. But, I haven’t really came up with [a plan for] what I’ma do [next]. I just know that Scarface [created] a limit to what I could do [under] that umbrella.

DX: I know you’re saying there are artistic and creative reasons behind this, but how much of a role did the root of all evil play in this decision to hang it up?
Scarface: Nah, it ain’t no money thang. If it was a money thing I’d go [be] Scarface. I’m really trying to advance and make music that’s great.

DX: When we last spoke you told me, “The business side will make a muthafucka quit, and the business side will make a muthafucka do it again.” So what business has to happen for Scarface the rapper to reemerge?
Scarface: I mean, it ain’t really much that the business side can do [Laughs]. I kinda made up in my mind what I wanna do with the beginning of my new career. I think just making great records is what I’m gonna be known for [in] my new career.

DX: You told MTV that doing a group effort with either Ice Cube and Nas, Jay-Z and Beanie Sigel, or Bun B could bring you back to spittin’ . And I was just curious if at least the duo effort with…?
Scarface: [Interrupts] Well I know for a fact that one of those three records will be done.

DX: Okay, which one is that?
Scarface: I don’t know [Laughs].

DX: [Laughs].
Scarface: I don’t know, one of the three.

DX: What about the one with Bun ? I mean, the Rap-A-Lot connection…
Scarface: It’ll be like Bun [and] "The Artist Formerly Known As ‘Face."

DX: Well that “Forgot About Me” joint y’all got with Wayne on the album, that definitely I think signals that there’s a need for a duo album between y’all.
Scarface: Yeah, well…

DX: Now you mentioned wanting to collaborate with Jay-Z, and the last time we spoke you said, “I’m exercising my free agency, so maybe Jigga got a plan…” Could The Artist Formerly Known As Scarface join Jay on Live Nation?
Scarface: You know what? I haven’t got the phone call yet. We spoke on some other stuff, but [not] on that particular movement yet.

DX: On the title track from your new album you spit, “You knowin’ what the outcome was/Fuck with one, fuck with all, we were bound by blood/Not the blood of the gang, but the blood of James/It’s outta love for this nigga we pump slugs in frames.” So I take from that verse that even if you do a deal with another label, as an emcee or another artist, that shouldn’t be seen as a sign of you not fuckin’ with Rap-A-Lot anymore?
Scarface: Nah, that’s my roots. That’s my grassroots. We together forever, regardless.

DX: And I guess I’ll just ask the technical question, are you contractually obligated to do more solos for Rap-A-Lot?
Scarface: Uh…I mean, contractually obligated? Nah.

DX: Now on that title track you served this Bookman cat , and J Prince went at him on the album intro. But do you agree with J that this is really a conspiracy by law enforcement to use cats like Bookman to take y’all down? Ain’t this just another muthafucka trying to use courtrooms to get paid?
Scarface: I think that what’s going on with James and Bookman should be discussed between [them]. You should ask one of them about that. But I do see law enforcement doing whatever they gotta do to put a halt on what we doing. You know, as far as young, black entrepreneurs trying to get out of the neighborhood. And now that we have a president that’s kinda seen firsthand how they handle young black men that come out of the ghetto and try to make something out of theyself, maybe it’ll be a law against that shit.

DX: What was ‘Face’s reaction the night of November 4, 2008?
Scarface: It was unbelievable. Me being the [skeptical] cat that I am, I assumed that it was gonna be some bullshit and we wasn’t gonna know who the president was until this time next year, honestly. But when they was like, “And we waiting on Ohio to come in…Oh, ladies and gentleman we have a new President. We have the first African-American President,” I was like, “Oh shit!”

DX: So you think change is really gonna come? You a believer in that mantra?
Scarface: I believe in Obama. I believe in God. I believe that Muhammad was his messenger. And I believe that Barack Obama will make a change.

DX: Aww man, I gotta get back to the bullshit. Back on the lawsuit tip, on “High Powered” you dropped the “You hit the highway, got money the fly way” line, and you also went at him on “Big Dogg Status” from Made , but my question is why? “Wanna Be A Baller” was 10 years ago, we wouldn’t even be talking about Lil Troy still if not for Scarface.
Scarface: Well, I mean if you feel like I’m talking to Lil Troy, let me clarify that right now. If somebody puts out some shit discrediting your credibility, discrediting your character, you wanna make sure that – well, I do – the whole world know that he’s the muthafuckin’ rat, and I got the shit to prove it. This ain’t no typed up shit. This is actually court-documented shit that he went in and told.

DX: Yeah I noticed you flashed some paperwork in the “High Powered” video, and I know Troy had some of his own paperwork in the ’06 Paperwork DVD. Do you plan to release what you have to the public like he did?
Scarface: Well it’s public record already. At first it was sealed. Then he filed a lawsuit against me for defaming his character. But my only defense to the charges brought up against me by him was for them to open up the books. And if it wouldn’t have said what it said then I woulda been guilty of defaming his character. But since his 5K1 [“downward departure” sentencing reduction below guidelines for assisting the government] shows otherwise, then he’s the fuckin’ rat. So I didn’t discredit him. But him thinking that I’m a muthafuckin’ rat, that’s totally against my upbringing. I ain’t cut like that, so I really gotta bury him in the mud that he created.

DX: Are you still having to [deal with the] appeal of [troy’s] lawsuit?
Scarface: Nah, that’s dead. Don’t nobody wanna fight a losing battle.

DX: Let’s move off that shit and back to the music. Where do these last two solos, Made and Emeritus, rank in your catalog?
Scarface: I’ll leave that up for the public to decide. My honest opinion of my solo… My favorite is The Fix . But I love Made as well as Emeritus. Emeritus might be right there with The Fix

DX: Word? Okay, man, that’s a statement. Is quality, timeless Hip Hop music a thing of the past you think?
Scarface: I still create quality. I can’t speak on everybody else.

DX: But you’re retired now so…[Laughs].
Scarface: [Laughs] No, that guy [Scarface is] retired.

DX: [Laughs] But I mean in terms of Hip Hop though, you think…?
Scarface: I mean it’s quantity [over quality] right now. With the markets being fucked up like it is, and everybody trying to put something out to pay bills, shit, I understand. You know, put as much crap as you can [out there] and just hope something stick. Dude, I hear so many wack records, man. And I ain’t gonna say no names, but these fuckin’ records come out and they have huge impact at radio and video, just totally destroying black music. I don’t know who’s the culprit of this conspiracy to destroy black music, but that shit does not reflect what goes on [outside of the mainstream]. It’s a whole lot of talented writers and musicians out here that just go overlooked because of this bullshit. It’s a whole bunch of wack-ass shit that we can go on for days talking about. And [it’s like], “Man, how in the fuck did that even get on the radio?” You check the [spins] and the muthafucka is at 2,000 in six weeks or some shit, ya feel me?

DX: Yeah, unfortunately. Now I read where you said the ‘Net fucked the game up, but I also read where you were biggin’ up Soulja Boy, who got in the game because of the Internet. So is technology…
Scarface: [Interrupts] Well he got in the game ‘cause of YouTube and shit like that, and exposing himself like that. [But] as far as giving a nigga shit away for free, c’mon man, I’m not down with that at all, because we have to pay for that Internet service. I think a muthafucka need to file a class action lawsuit against the Internet. We have to pay for that fuckin’ service, and the thanks we get for paying for the service is putting my shit online for free. America Online need to be sued.

DX: You don’t see the justice in it though, of finally people being able to hear the music before they buy it? Where as in the ‘90s you would have to buy a tape and you ain’t even heard one note of music.
Scarface: I think they should go back to leaving it up to the artist to make great shit. I mean, in the 1960s and ‘70s, and ‘80s and ‘90s, like c’mon man, that’s some of the best music known to man, ever.

DX: I was just listening to The Commodores “Zoom” and it hit me how music in the ‘70’s was so much more original and complete than anything – Hip Hop or otherwise – coming out these days.

Scarface: [Starts humming the melody to “Zoom”].

DX: Lionel Richie and The Commodores!
Scarface: That shit was unreal, right? Now recreate that shit.

DX: Well E-40 did a decent job I thought with his version.
Scarface: Yeah, but…I mean, I love Earl , that’s my dude, but man I want [it to be] the rappers rap and the breakers break. You know what I mean? Let’s find some musicians out here. Let’s make some music again, man. “Let the poppers pop and the breakers break,” that’s what DMC said [on “King Of Rock”] . You know what I mean? I’m not fucking with the sampling no more. I’m going [for] straight fuckin’ history. I’m going [for] straight music history. I’m going horns. I’m going string sections. I’m going [live] percussion and shit.

DX: So I maybe misheard you earlier, are you really like trying to put together a band?
Scarface: Dude, I’m fin to exercise my ability to make music, man. I’m a walking music encyclopedia. I probably heard and can play every song that you can name.

DX: But no formal plans of how you wanna channel that creativity?
Scarface: Nah. I am gonna put a band together [though], a nice funk band. I’m [also] gonna put a nice Rock band together. And shit, who knows, I may even tour with Sade’s band or some shit. You never know where you’ll see me next. I [might be] going on the road with The Flaming Hellcats, ‘cause I did a song with them playing guitar. It’s unreal. When you hear it you gonna be like, “Man, that’s you?”

DX: But you can still make classic Hip Hop even with sampling. I mean, “A Minute To Pray And A Second To Die” schooled me when I was about 14 on why not to chase chicks who chased dope boys – “A big time dope dealer’s all she wanted” [Laughs].
Scarface: Exactly. That was some fantastic lyrical content over a fantastic beat that was made before. But then when you start looking at the original shit that I made like “I Seen A Man Die,” that just goes to show you that original shit that come out your head is just as good as shit that came before. “Mary Jane” is original. The 2Pac “Smile [For Me]” song [we did] is original.

DX: But you feel like you gotta step away from rappin’ to do the original [material]. Can’t you like you said just make the original creations and still spit?
Scarface: Well, it ain’t that, it ain’t the rappin’ thang that I’m concerned about. ‘Cause it’s gonna always be me. I’ma always be here, just I’m gonna be moving into another direction in making music.

DX: What about supervising new spitters? Are you still talent scouting for new spitters, the new generation Scarfaces?
Scarface: Man, I heard a kid the other night in Ohio that was unreal.

DX: You remember a name?
Scarface: I can’t remember his name. I got his number though. I’m waiting on the opportunity to work with him, and The Product , and The Facemob real soon.

DX: Are there new official releases upcoming we can let the people know about?
Scarface: There’s new releases, but official not quite [yet].

DX: What about…This had skipped my radar, but you got a site, HereGoMyDemo.com, right?
Scarface: Yeah, that’s just for people to post their music, upcoming artists trying to get they shit seen and heard. And it’s another community, outside of MySpace and Facebook, that only caters to music and musicians.

DX: Have you discovered any new talent via the site?
Scarface: I like a lot of shit on there, man. And I hope that… A few cats made some great fuckin’ music. I’m like, “Damn, these muthafuckas deserve deals.” I check HereGoMyDemo anonymously, but I’m on it.

DX: What about other online operations or business ventures, you expanding your empire?
Scarface: I’m just gonna tour overseas, man, and then I’m gone. I’m gonna take this overseas tour and I’ma take a break and find me. Some notes musicians can hit and the whole world love it.

DX: That’s true. Music is universal. But true talent is hard to find, and definitely hard to maintain for as long as you have. So my final question is, is one of the honors you’ve earned with your retirement that of greatest southern emcee in Hip Hop history?
Scarface: Is that what they say?

DX: Some say. I definitely say.
Scarface: Well I ain’t gone nowhere [Laughs].

DX: [Laughs]. See I hate this, man, Too Short, Master P, they all did the same… Like, I’m just trying to figure [this] out. This can’t be it. This can’t be the end.
Scarface: I mean, nah. I’m gonna continue to make records, man. But Scarface, [after] Emeritus he’s done.

DX: Wow. End of an era.
Scarface: I’d say. [But] I’d rather make some more music, man. I got a new outlook on shit now.

DX: Where did this come from? I mean, just overtime…
Scarface: I mean, after the inauguration [of Obama as President], man, I really think that my views on shit’s gonna change a lot.

DX: It’s a new day.
Scarface: I think.

Lunatic

Re: Scarface: The Grand Finale (new interview November 30th, 2008 )
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2008, 11:44:00 AM »
wow, GREAT interview :o  Scarface came off a lot more intelligent here than he did in the AHH interview. Sounds like his rap days aren't completely over, he said 1 of the three albums bunb, cube/nas, jigga/beanie) is gonna come true :o  I can't really see any of them coming true, but the Bun B one is most realistic.
Co-Director of Site Content For Raptalk.Net
Staff Writer For WordOfSouth.Com
Staff Writer For Illuminati2G.Net
Staff Writer For SoPrupRadio.com

Blood$

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2008, 02:24:30 PM »
wow, GREAT interview :o  Scarface came off a lot more intelligent here than he did in the AHH interview. Sounds like his rap days aren't completely over, he said 1 of the three albums bunb, cube/nas, jigga/beanie) is gonna come true :o  I can't really see any of them coming true, but the Bun B one is most realistic.

co-sign, he sounded a lot more calm and content here haha

Lunatic

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2008, 02:47:11 PM »
^ya, he was angry as fuck in the AHH 1 lol!
Co-Director of Site Content For Raptalk.Net
Staff Writer For WordOfSouth.Com
Staff Writer For Illuminati2G.Net
Staff Writer For SoPrupRadio.com

ωεεźγ ғ

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2008, 02:50:48 PM »
New UGK = Bun Bita, RIP Pimp C and introducing the artist formerly known as Scarface. lolol