Author Topic: Wordsmith Interview..  (Read 73 times)

Lunatic

Wordsmith Interview..
« on: November 21, 2008, 10:06:11 PM »
http://illuminati2g.webs.com/wordsmithinterview.htm

Illuminati 2G kicked it with what has to be one of the hardest working artists in the game, Wordsmith for a exclusive interview. We discuss his numerous projects, what he feels is missing from hip hop and so much more. Check it out

ILLUMINATI 2G IS HERE WITH WORDSMITH HOW'S IT GOING?

I’m good man, just biting my nails trying to find more inventive ways to get my music heard. It’s a true chess game out here, so I am thankful when sites like this support me.

HOW DID YOU GET YOUR START IN HIP HOP AND WHO ARE SOME OF YOUR MUSICAL INFLUENCES?

Hmmm, I’m trying to see the best way to answer that question. If were talking about when I first started loving HipHop, I would have to say it was when my family and I were stationed in Germany. An old friend of mine had boxes and boxes of rap tapes and I just soaked it all up. My brother I borrowed a lot of his music and I guess I was the one who got really hooked. I became a big fan of Public Enemy, A Tribe Called Quest, EPMD, Redman, K-Solo, Das Efx, UMC’s, Run DMC, Nas, Digital Underground and more. Now, if were talking about when I officially started my quest to make it in this industry, I would have to say 4 years ago.

WHAT IS THE MUSIC SCENE LIKE IN BALTIMORE WHERE YOUR FROM?

Hmmm, the music scene out here is non-existent unfortunately. I’m not saying there is a bunch of bad artists walking around, but there is definitely a bunch of artists who don’t have a defined sound. Baltimore has never really had a strong following or distinct sound, so a lot of times we get looked over. Most people don’t even know I live in Baltimore and it’s not because I don’t rep it; the problem is no one is really looking at B-More by itself. We are referred to as the DMV, which includes DC and VA. All in all, I support any artist in Baltimore that is working hard and paving a path for them selves. I’m not here to bash anybody because I’m pretty good friends with B-more artists Soulstice, Pro & Reg, Minlus-N-McCracken, Sly Solomon, Greenspan, Reggie Webb and a few more. Still, if I had it my way, I would like to be the voice of Baltimore.

MAN YOU HAVE GOT TO BE ONE OF THE HARDEST WORKING ARTISTS IN THE GAME RIGHT NOW. TELL US A LITTLE BIT ABOUT THE MUSIC YOU HAVE IN THE WORKS AS FAR AS MIXTAPES.

I really appreciate that compliment by the way. Let me see, I will be releasing one more mixtape this year called "The Resolution and Re-Cap" on HipHopdx. That will be my 4th mixtape and I plan to keep that going into 2009. I’m gonna kick it off with Chubb Rock and I "Bridging the Gap" Prequels mixtape, my regular Mid-Year Review, Music for the Masses and my next Resolution and Re-Cap tape. For all those who follow my mixtape releases you should know by now that I’m basically giving away free albums on the net. I want quality music to get out there so bad, that I don’t sweat giving away high level material.

LETS GET INTO THE ALBUM, TELL ME ABOUT YOUR DEBUT ALBUM VINTAGE MATERIAL. RELEASE DATE, PRODUCTION, GUESTS, ETC.

Whooo, I wrote "Vintage Material" in 2005, so it will be 4 years old by the time it drops next year. Talk about Vintage right?? It’s a very complete album with great underground, mainstream, and alternative music on it. I even have a nice 3 part story in one section of the album as well. Something you will notice about my album that is different then most is I enlisted my brother "Professa" to score my album like a movie. There is a theatrical intro, outro and transitions that set and change the mood throughout. There is no rapping over top of these scores, just emotion and thoughts. All together there are probably about 5 different sections to the album, so it will definitely be a mental journey when you’re done. All the production was pretty much done by my in house producers Strada, Professa, Capish and Street Level. Hands down and I am confident, I have some of the best unsigned producers out there. They need to know that and the world needs to know that. As far as guest appearances, I keep it old school and only have 3 cuts with other artists. The other two MC’s in my camp, Kontact and Black Knight, appear on the album and I will have some surprises on there as well. In regards to a release date, the most I can say is it will drop after Chubb and I "Bridging the Gap" album and my UK album "A Baltimore Martini" with I.N.C The Poet.

THE PROJECT YOU MENTIONED CALLED BRIDGING THE GAP WITH CHUBB ROCK, HOW DID THAT COME TOGETHER?

This album came together by chance. Chubb and I met 2 years ago through a DJ in Connecticut called "Speek Greene." He had sent me this old school break beat and I ended up laying down a track called "Block Party Bonanza" to it. Once my man Capish mixed it, Speek really liked it and called me to say Chubb wanted to get on it. Next thing I knew, Chubb and I were doing a Bridging the Gap Concert Series that featured Jaz-O as well. Our friendship continued to build to the point that Chubb actually came at me about doing a project first. Early on, we were just gonna do an EP, but the creativity was so high and we looked at the business side of things and it was more smart to do a full length album. My main producer Strada produced the whole project except for one joint by Capish and "The Whistle Song" producer Daren Joseph. Look for our first single, "Old 2 New" to drop in January or February along with a video through G-Light Films. Hopefully we will be signing the album to a label in the next two weeks, so I’ll keep you posted.

SOUNDS GOOD. WHAT ABOUT THE COLLABO ALBUM SET TO DROP IN THE UK WITH I.N.C THE POET TELL US ABOUT THAT?

I’m really excited and blessed about this project because I had an opportunity to sign a deal in the UK for it. I teamed up with I.N.C the Poet after he asked me about doing an album together. I really respected INC’s conscious mind frame, so it was a no brainer to do the project. It’s called "A Baltimore Martini" and it represents where I’m from and INC’s hometown which is dubbed Martini City. Believe me, this is a very deep album about life, loss, heartbreak, and redemption. This is the type of music that makes me love HipHop, but all in all it will please the mainstream audience as well. They will just have to pay attention a little bit more and actually listen to our words instead of just the beat. Look for "A Baltimore Martini" to drop in March or April 2009 on Dented Records.

HOW DID THE SINGLE HOW DO YOU LIKE ME NOW WITH DJ KING ASSASSIN?

I met King Assassin towards the beginning of 2008 when he called me one night. He said he had been following my music for 2 years and felt like I had what it takes to be big. We started forming a relationship from there and it seems like the old school artists show me the most love. The reason is I believe they get what I’m trying to do musically and they feel like even though I am 10 to 15 years younger then most pioneers they can relate to me better. They can’t relate the Hip-Hop they made to Souljaboy or someone like Gucci Mane. Anyways, Assassin, Chuck and I put a together a great track that will take you down memory lane. There’s a possibility we could shoot a video for it, but it is one of the singles off of DJ King Assassin’s next album. It will drop on Universal or Koch Records, so look out for it.

TELL US A LITTLE BIT ABOUT THE ROCK AND RAP COLLABO ALBUMS YOU ARE WORKING ON?

Well, I actually started those with my brother back in 2003 when I had no other producers to work with. My brother new how bad I wanted to make it in this business, so he took it upon himself to learn Fruity Loops and he started sending me beats. Now, I was taken back to say the least because Professa was sending me these rap/rock beats and I had never cared to write to something like that. Still, the more I listened to them, the more I heard the genius techniques my brother was hearing. So….to be honest the "Rockstrumental" project my brother and I created was one of my first projects. It mashed up hard HipHop basslines with acoustic, electric, and bass guitars, pianos, and drums. The thing that always blew my mind was he was putting all this together without a live band being present. Now, its just a matter of figuring out the right time to release a project like "Rockstrumentals." I don’t see it happening until I gain my full diverse fan base from being a successful national recording artists.

I LIKE HOW YOU HAVE A DIVERSE SOUND AND YOU ARE NOT AFRAID TO MESH IT WITH OTHER GENRES. DO YOU FEEL THAT IS SOMETHING THAT IS MISSING FROM HIP HOP TODAY?

It’s definitely missing in Hip-Hop because a new artist that is lucky enough to get signed would rather copy what the last man did to be famous. We live in an era where artists and music are like "FAST FOOD." The labels are the food chains, ala McDonalds and they serve us unsatisfying quick music from artists who will never make it to their second single, much less their second album. I’m about making good music, so it baffles me that a label would rather sign someone to make short term money then get an artist with longevity. Man, I miss the old days.

DO YOU HAVE ANY SHOWS OR TOUR DATES YOU WANT TO LET THE PEOPLE KNOW ABOUT?

I have two shows in DC at Club Haydees and Twelve on December 6th and 7th, so come out and see what I call Hip-Hop Theater. I’m always doing shows, but I would say look for a UK tour to support the "Baltimore Martini" album and a US tour to support Chubb and I "Bridging the Gap" album.

WELL THAT IS ALL THE QUESTIONS FROM ME. APPRECIATE ALL THE HARD WORK YOU PUTTING INTO YOUR CRAFT AND I APPRECIATE THE INTERVIEW. IS THERE ANY LAST WORDS OR SHOUTOUTS YOU WANT TO GET OUT THERE?

I appreciate it as well, anytime you have a forum to speak your mind a little, it’s a great thing. In closing I definitely want to thAnk Illuminati 2G for the interview, The Nu Revolution Camp, my Mother and Father, my brother Professa, Black Knight, Kontact, D-Dub, DJ Andrew, Cactus, DJ Dublee, Juanita, Harold, Malika, Chavaun, Big and Lil G, Ladavius, Ezequiel, Microphonebully, HipHopdx, DJ Denox, Vintage Clothing Limited, Wearyourcity.com, Joint One Radio, RVUP, G-Light Films, Amalgam Digital, The Vibe Source, EG Radio Online, Crackaudio, Music Choice, Rock the Dub, Yoraps, and of course many more. So many to name, so if your down with me, you know I got ya…Stay safe people..
Co-Director of Site Content For Raptalk.Net
Staff Writer For WordOfSouth.Com
Staff Writer For Illuminati2G.Net
Staff Writer For SoPrupRadio.com