Author Topic: Kanye West Airs Out Anger At Concert (Review)  (Read 451 times)

Nima - Dubcnn.com

Kanye West Airs Out Anger At Concert (Review)
« on: November 28, 2008, 03:58:51 PM »
www.dubcnn.com

I just got back from Kanye West's latest concert and it was interesting to say the least. I didn't let the fact that Kanye's management wasn't interested in having Hip-Hop outlets interview him about his new album stop me from going, as I had only heard great things about his "Glow In The Dark" stage show.

I wasn't really too sure what to expect, considering Kanye's recent bashing of Hip-Hop as a musical artform and his new album being strictly auto-tuned singing. However, the first hour and a half of the show was good old 'Ye, performing his vast array of hits off his first three albums.

After messing up his second verse on "Through The Wire", Kanye kept going and freestyled the rest of the song, and he didn't hesitate to stop his orchestra either after on "Diamonds Are Forever" he accidentally started rapping the remix, and started over with the original.

His performance was strong and had a good flow, all being backed by the storyline of him being lost in space and trying to find his way back to earth. With "Stronger" being the song that brings him back, he celebrated his return on earth with "Touch The Sky" and "Homecoming". At this point, I was really only expecting him to end it off with "Love Lockdown", to promote the new album.

However, he then stopped the music and went into a long speech about his current musical direction. The event that provoked this was an interview he had had earlier that day with an (unnamed) media outlet. "The interviewer had the nerve to ask me disrespectful ass questions, such as whether I regretted making this new album now that it was done. He then told me that when he first heard it, he thought it was a parody! That's when I ended the interview. I don't make no f-ckin' parodies!"

Kanye continued by explaining that what was most important to him was to make the music that he feels, that he believes in and that makes him happy. And that his feelings are bigger than Hip-Hop. That he cannot express what he has in his heart by rapping, that he wants to sing. "I know I'm not no Whitney Houston, but I know that I got melody in me. People say all this stuff about me singing and using auto-tune, but you know why I use it? Cause it's cool!", Kanye further explained. "I want to make the music that makes me happy, without caring what people say about it or caring about the sales. If I made the music people expected from me and not what I truly felt, then that's what I would call selling out".

After finishing his speech, he proceeded to perform four songs off his new album, including the singles "Love Lockdown" and "Heartless". While I definitely respect Kanye West as an artist and respect him for following his heart, the fact that he is not a good singer is something I can't overlook. He can sing all he wants for all I care, I respect it, but me liking it is a different story. I know that's how a lot of Kanye West fans feel right now, which is why I decided to write this review.

Kanye West's new album "808s & Heartbreak" is in stores now.

stillinrehab

• Muthafuckin' Don!
Re: Kanye West Airs Out Anger At Concert (Review)
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2008, 04:26:46 PM »
+1 spot on man good review and entirely correct with opinions  8)

OchoCinco

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2008, 04:38:54 PM »
cool. make that music and keep it to urself. dude is to me me. i know he wants to make his music and wahtever. but come on make something that the people want to hear, keep ur music in a personal collection and get back to the dope shit.

Webby05

• Muthafuckin' Double OG
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2008, 07:17:53 PM »
great another kanye west bitch fit

DJ SUGAFREE QUIK

« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2008, 08:36:40 PM »
great another kanye west bitch fit
Hate on Kanye all you want but at least he wants 2 excel at everything he does.  Be perfect at all times.  Want to make a classic album everytime he does an album.  He wants to give his fans 100% especially at concerts.  Yes I know he didn't this time reading this, but if more people had the drive 2 succeed like Kanye, we'd have more successful people on this planet. 

Javier

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2008, 08:46:35 PM »
Usually most classics come from musicians doing whatever the fuck they want to do and not be told what kind of music to make.  I'm not saying Kanye's new album is a classic, in fact I really dislike it, but I at least respect that he wants to make music that he wants to listen to.  That really is the complete opposite of selling out.  There's this band called Wilco, that released a classic album called "Yankee Foxtrot Hotel".  The label didn't even want to release the album when they first heard, because they couldn't find a way to market the album to make money.  Can you believe this shit? The label actually wanted the band to change their songs, so it can be a bit more mainstream.  The band said no, and the label decided to let them go.  The album is now seen as a classic.  Another great example is Radiohead.  After the release of their classic OK Computer, fans were expecting some more OK Computer type songs for the following album.  What did Radiohead decide to do?  They got bored of their genre, they wanted to make music that they enjoy to do...they're musicians what do you expect?  This attitude gave birth to Kid A and Amnesiac, these two albums pretty much divided a shit load of fans but holy shit these are amazing albums.  They basically went from alternative rock to artistic rock from one album to the next.  Yes Kanye failed, but his efforts should be encouraged.

penenstamp

« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2008, 11:41:14 PM »
I could have gone to his show this week, but I preferred a dvd. I couldn't be bothered to take the train to Rotterdam to see a show of the guy that dropped the most disappointing album from a hip hop artist in decades.

T-Dogg

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2008, 03:33:23 AM »
Spot on with the statement about him singing, Nima. Good to hear you got to hear some porper Hip-Hop there too though.

I honestly believe 808's could've been a good record if somebody else than Kanye had done the singing - without Autotune, of course. It doesn't matter if "he has the melody in him", the product just isn't good. Shit, I like to sing in the shower too, but I know fuckin' better than to mic up a microphone in a public event.

K.Dub

• Magic
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2008, 04:12:08 AM »
The album IS a parody and autotune is NOT cool.
I hope this album flops, but I doubt it..

kemizt

woods

• Muthafuckin' OG
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2008, 07:13:13 AM »
autotune is NOT cool.

And I dont know why anyone would think it is  8)

Nima - Dubcnn.com

« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2008, 02:36:17 PM »
Thanks for all your feedback, it's appreciated!

Detox Iz Not Active

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Tonite
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2008, 01:57:17 PM »
it was a good review of the concert

After listening to 808 I feel he had potential for good tracks on there but because he's such a terrible singer a lot of it just fell flat, lots of wasted good beats
Guess who back in the motherfuckin house
With a fat dick for your motherfuckin mouth
Hoes recognize, niggaz do too
Cuz when bitches get skanless and pull a voodoo.....