Author Topic: Do you believe in karma?  (Read 1223 times)

Floydness

Do you believe in karma?
« on: December 01, 2008, 10:40:03 AM »
The whole concept of karma is interesting and I would like to know your thoughts on it.. Do u honestly believe that what goes around comes around?

Þŕiņçë

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Cold Hearted Son Of A Bitch
Re: Do you believe in karma?
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2008, 11:00:33 AM »
I believe in karma very much so and have been a witness first hand that it exists. I am a very layed back and easy to get along with person but i choose my friends very carefully. I used to be more 'fuck you and your friends my crew will smash yall'... used to play around with a lot of women at a time an do some of them pretty dirty  ::) But just this past year my whole world got rocked, i was in a serious car accident and i am lucky to be here. No i didnt become religious but it opened up my eyes to a lot of things. I am more open minded to why people can act certain ways. Stopped playing with these females like they are all hoes (most are, but there have to be good ones somewhere!), had a few try to play me.(Enjoy your karma as i leave you in the dust batches!  8) ) And i am just now realizing that karma is very real. If you arent trying to do something positive with your life and push forward, then who are you to expect good things to happen to you?

In retrospect its sad that it took 7 staples, hella stitches and me almost dying for me to just start realizing that there is more to life than just the area code i live in. There is a whole world out there, so if you arent at least trying to do something positive and push forward with your life then you cant expect to make any progress. Im not telling everyone to go be Mr Niceguy to everyone just so you will have good karma, no, you will get stepped on. Its all about finding that balance. You will never have only good things happen to you. Or only bad things, although, sometimes it may seem that there is just a never ending streak of good or bad shit going on. You just gotta take it with stride and keep on walking!  8)

Floydness

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2008, 11:11:34 AM »
thats pretty interesting^^ any other replies? lol

Þŕiņçë

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2008, 11:18:02 AM »
Why dont you tell us what you think lol?

Floydness

« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2008, 11:36:46 AM »
What I think? I think im confused lol... I dont know what to believe anymore.. At this point in my life I feel as though there are so many explanations as to why and how things happen.. A big part of me believes in karma but the real question I ask myself is "how do I know?". Seriously, how do I know that karma exists? The truth is that I dont know and I dont think anyone really knows, everyone in life just adds their 2 cents (sometimes more) to theories and nobody REALLY knows... I think that its all a matter of what you believe. I also strongly believe in the laws of attraction, so if you believe in karma so much (even subconsciously) you will see how karma is effective in your life. Ive also though about destiny.. Do we all have a destiny or are we destined to make our own?Is everything pre-planned or do we make our own plans that somehow lead us to where we end up in life.. is it up to us? And if it is, to what degree? Is this knowledge all really usefull or is a waste of time and energy because I wont ever know the answer? A lot of things run through my mind... It seems as though I was born in a state of confussion. Will I ever know the answer? If not me, who?  ???

« Last Edit: December 01, 2008, 11:41:57 AM by Floydness »

TraceOneInfinite Flat Earther 96'

• Shot Caller
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Permanent Resident Flat Erth 1996 Pre-Sept. 13th
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2008, 01:05:30 PM »
I don't believe in most of the Buddist concepts I used to believe in, and karma is one of them.  I started believing in karma when I was younger, really I would say I was an avid believer in it for around ten years from age 15 through age 25.  Even as a Muslim I believed in it, because we have a similar concept in Islam, and that concept is that any good that you do Allah will reward you for it; or that likewise, the Qu'ran says "any bad that befalls you it is because of what your own hands have set forth".

Qu'ran verse 8:51

"This is for what your own hands have sent on before, and because Allah is not in the least unjust to the servants"

But I experienced the bad consequences of a belief in karma first hand.  I kept making effort and self-sacrifice thinking that one day it would pay off and come back around to me, and I'd have to say I reached after many years there came a point when I finally had to admit that not only had it not paid off, but that I possibly even WORSE off than before.  Which caused me to later research and find that my belief had not been rational.

So let's look at the concept of karma logically and we will see that it is false.  First of all, it works upon the belief that if you give "good" to others than that "good" will come back to you.  One problem is that "good" and "bad" are SUBJECTIVE terms.  What is good for one person is not good for another.  An easy example of this is the husband or wife who sacrifices greatly for their partner and believes they have done so much "good" for their loved one, and their partner leaves them for somebody who beats the shit out of them every night.

Obviously it was more "good" for that woman to have the shit beat out of her every night, rather than have a man who was sensitive and gentle with her. 

Another example would be the crusades.  Obviously those Christian, Muslims, Jews, who sacrifice their own happiness and struggle for God believe they are bringing great "good" to the world.  While their enemy believes they are bringing great "harm" to the world.  Or maybe even their fellow Christian or Muslim brother hates them as well, because they think they are distorting the religion.  Look at Usama Bin Laden for example.  To some Muslims him and his followers are great examples of self-sacrifice for the sake of a greater good, while to other Muslims they may say he's caused great destruction to befall on the Muslim world, or some say that he's distorting the religion of Islam and some may even say he's not really a Muslim at all.... or whatever... you have a million opinions because THE TRUTH IS SUBJECTIVE!

Let's take a less extreme example.  Say Angelina Jolie for example doing charity in Africa.  So maybe we say she's doing great "good" by giving to children in Africa.  But maybe for Brad Pitt he feels he's being neglected and his needs aren't being met because she is busy saving children around the world. 

These are all just some hypothetical examples to show what is "good" for one person can be "bad" for another.

Bottom line:  If you want to bring about good for yourself, then don't go around thinking you are doing good for the world because the world may end up rejecting your charity.  SO GIVE TO YOURSELF!  ULTIMATELY YOUR OWN HAPPINESS IS THE ONLY THING YOU CAN CONTROL, AND SOMETIMES WE CAN'T EVEN MAKE OUR OWN SELVES HAPPY, SO HOW NAIVE IS IT TO THINK WE ARE MAKING OTHERS HAPPY?
« Last Edit: December 01, 2008, 01:16:54 PM by Infinite African West Coastin »
My First Officially Schedule Rap Battle on Stage as an undercard to the undercard match

(btw, Earth 🌎 is not a spinning water ball)

Þŕiņçë

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2008, 01:23:36 PM »
What I think? I think im confused lol... I dont know what to believe anymore.. At this point in my life I feel as though there are so many explanations as to why and how things happen.. A big part of me believes in karma but the real question I ask myself is "how do I know?". Seriously, how do I know that karma exists? The truth is that I dont know and I dont think anyone really knows, everyone in life just adds their 2 cents (sometimes more) to theories and nobody REALLY knows... I think that its all a matter of what you believe. I also strongly believe in the laws of attraction, so if you believe in karma so much (even subconsciously) you will see how karma is effective in your life. Ive also though about destiny.. Do we all have a destiny or are we destined to make our own?Is everything pre-planned or do we make our own plans that somehow lead us to where we end up in life.. is it up to us? And if it is, to what degree? Is this knowledge all really usefull or is a waste of time and energy because I wont ever know the answer? A lot of things run through my mind... It seems as though I was born in a state of confussion. Will I ever know the answer? If not me, who?  ???

Truth is karma, your destiny,the bible and yes, santa claus are all fake. But its just, well, sort of common sense that if you do good, good is sure to come back around. Oh and this is probably a bad example but if you really need proof that karma exists, i bet if you murder someone you will be locked in a cage!  ;)

• Shot Caller
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2008, 01:28:33 PM »

But its just, well, sort of common sense that if you do good, good is sure to come back around.

But what is "good"?  Because what is "good" for one person can be bad for another person. 

Even if you went around smiling in people's faces there would be someone who said, "I hate that mutherfucker smiling all the time, who the fuck does he think he is, why is he happy and I'm sad, I hate that guy!"

You could even say that the Buddists in Tibet that believe in Karma and believe they are doing so much "good" by meditating all day, are just a drain on the Tibetan economy.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2008, 01:35:28 PM by Infinite African West Coastin »
My First Officially Schedule Rap Battle on Stage as an undercard to the undercard match

ωεεźγ ғ

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2008, 01:35:21 PM »
Im a shaolin kung fu practioner so i avidly believe in karma. But my actions are not based on the end result, i do my duty and then let everything else take care of itself. Its pretty funny that those who denounce karma, selfishly state that they "self-sacrificed" thinking that it would pay-off but they ended up WORSE than before, the works of god/karma/laws of universe, work in such magical ways that you can not truly discount that doing good things for other people did not work for you becuase you had not won the lottery that upcoming week, but if someone is wishfully confessing this to me on his deathbed, that he selfsacrificed but ended up worse than before i would be more ept on listening to him because he has experienced the full length of life and karma was no good to him. But i laugh at those who are like 20 years old and think that there is no good waiting for them anymore and that all the good things they have done are gone to waste. Just like truth is the daughter of time, patience is the father of karma.

• Shot Caller
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2008, 01:37:26 PM »
Im a shaolin kung fu practioner so i avidly believe in karma. But my actions are not based on the end result, i do my duty and then let everything else take care of itself. Its pretty funny that those who denounce karma, selfishly state that they "self-sacrificed" thinking that it would pay-off but they ended up WORSE than before, the works of god/karma/laws of universe, work in such magical ways that you can not truly discount that doing good things for other people did not work for you becuase you had not won the lottery that upcoming week, but if someone is wishfully confessing this to me on his deathbed, that he selfsacrificed but ended up worse than before i would be more ept on listening to him because he has experienced the full length of life and karma was no good to him. But i laugh at those who are like 20 years old and think that there is no good waiting for them anymore and that all the good things they have done are gone to waste. Just like truth is the daughter of time, patience is the father of karma.

But how do you know that you are doing "good"? 

For example, if you bring someone a gift, how do you know they will like your gift?  They may dislike your gift, and may be annoyed that now they have to fake like they like your gift, and use it in front of you, when in reality they'd rather you hadn't given them the gift at all.  So now your actually wasting their time and doing them harm.

On the other hand, let's say Bill Gates works hard because he wants to be rich and successful so he can buy things he wants, but while doing this for selfish means, he employs millions of people and provides us with technology that makes our lives better.  He was doing it to be selfish, yet he brought great good to the world by his selfishness.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2008, 01:39:42 PM by Infinite African West Coastin »

ωεεźγ ғ

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2008, 01:41:02 PM »

But how do you know that you are doing "good"? 

For example, if you bring someone a gift, how do you know they will like your gift?  They may dislike your gift, and may be annoyed that now they have to fake like they like your gift, and use it in front of you, when in reality they'd rather you hadn't given them the gift at all.  So now your actually wasting their time and doing them harm.

I am not taking anyone gifts to do good LOL. at my work i help the disabled and seniors help load heavy shit. After droping my car in the garage, i helped this blind man cross the street then i got him a taxi, turns out he was a gold medalist at the paralympics in Sydney 2000 pretty dope!

Dont get me wrong, i dont deserve a medal for doing these things, i just dont ignore em like most of the people though. And the things i stated above is what i count as doing good.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2008, 01:43:31 PM by ωεεźγ ғ »

• Shot Caller
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2008, 01:45:23 PM »

I am not taking anyone gifts to do good LOL. at my work i help the disabled and seniors help load heavy shit, after droping my car in the garage, i helped this blind man cross the street then i got him a taxi, turns out he was a gold medalist at the paralympics in Sydney 2000 pretty dope!

You think what you are doing is "good" and I'm not disagreeing with you.  I am only pointing out that what is good to some may be bad to others. 

Ayn Rand and her followers for example would say that you are part of a great problem plaguing this world in which we focus our help and attention on the disabled, who provide little to society, and neglect the talented ones, upon whom so many people in society depend upon. 

ωεεźγ ғ

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2008, 01:51:29 PM »

I am not taking anyone gifts to do good LOL. at my work i help the disabled and seniors help load heavy shit, after droping my car in the garage, i helped this blind man cross the street then i got him a taxi, turns out he was a gold medalist at the paralympics in Sydney 2000 pretty dope!

You think what you are doing is "good" and I'm not disagreeing with you.  I am only pointing out that what is good to some may be bad to others. 

Ayn Rand and her followers for example would say that you are part of a great problem plaguing this world in which we focus our help and attention on the disabled, who provide little to society, and neglect the talented ones, upon whom so many people in society depend upon. 

How does me helping a disabled senior citizen load like 10 bags of top soil in his car neglect someone talented?

Þŕiņçë

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2008, 01:55:12 PM »
This thread is slowly spiraling out of control lol. I will take some time to smoke think about this then reply again later  8)  ::)

• Shot Caller
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2008, 01:57:21 PM »

How does me helping a disabled senior citizen load like 10 bags of top soil in his car neglect someone talented?

Because resources are limited.  Our time on Earth is limited.  So any time you spend with the senior citizen is time you could have spent doing something else.  So while you are with the senior citizen you are neglecting everything else.

You fall under my Angelina Jolie example.  Maybe Brad Pitt feels neglected when she is spending so much time doing charity in Africa.  I am only speaking hypothetically.  Maybe he loves her for that.  I don't know.  I'm just pointing out that while she is doing that there is other things she is neglecting.  It's not possible to do more than one thing at a time.

...by the way, I'm not trying to tell you to stop doing what your doing, or that what your doing is bad.  I think it's great what you are doing.  I am just pointing out that "good" is subjective.  So therefore, the concept of karma, that any "good" you bring to the world will come back to you is false.  Because it's impossible to bring "good" to the world.   Because what is "good" to one person may be bad to another.  Look at all these technological advances that appear "good" to the world but then you have environmentalists complaining that the technology is "destroying the Earth for the next generations."