Author Topic: Akon Says “I Don’t Think Nate’s Any Competition To What We’re Doing Right Now”  (Read 1228 times)

Blood$

http://www.xxlmag.com/online/?p=30750

Akon is one of three crooners to have held hip-hop’s hook man crown since R&B hooks became the norm in the 90s.

Nate Dogg, Kon and his protege T-Pain, have all taken turns as the hook man du jour -seemingly establishing a monopoly on rap hooks during their respectives reigns. While Nate, the senior of the group has been hooking rappers up for 16 years, Kon thinks he’s no match for what he and Pain have been doing the past few years.

“I mean it depends on what you consider to be a hook man,” Kon told XXLMag.com. ”Nate, I don’t think he’s any competition to what we’re doing right now. The West Coast, which was incredibly hot, there wasn’t nobody touching Nate Dogg at that time. I was around at that time. It wasn’t no getting through them doors.

“Nate had it locked down,” Kon continued. “But I think as time started changing, I slowly took over because I came with more than just a hook. I came and gave you the song itself. When you came to Akon for a record, you’ll get the record, you’ll the track, you’ll get the song and the concept for it.”

But when it comes down to best hook man off all time, Kon gives it up to his own signee, T-Pain.

“If I had to give it personally to anybody, I would give it to T-Pain,” Kon revealed. ”I always looked at him as someone that can add a lot of color to someone’s record. I do it a lot of different ways, but I’m always thinking business when I’m doing it. Pain is doing it for the fun of it. I strategize differently. I do it according to what territories I need to take over. Pain does it just cause he loves to do it.” -Marvin Brandon

conqueso34

• Muthafuckin' OG
i can see where hes coming from, cause i dont think, not sure though, that nate would make the whole song like these guys are doing

but for me there is tracks that are very boring to me with them on it, but with nate dogg every song is dope, imo

Lunatic

lol at 'Kon thinkin him or T-Pain are anywhere close to Nate Dogg ::)
Co-Director of Site Content For Raptalk.Net
Staff Writer For WordOfSouth.Com
Staff Writer For Illuminati2G.Net
Staff Writer For SoPrupRadio.com

Webby05

• Muthafuckin' Double OG
“Nate had it locked down,” Kon continued. “But I think as time started changing, I slowly took over because I came with more than just a hook. I came and gave you the song itself. When you came to Akon for a record, you’ll get the record, you’ll the track, you’ll get the song and the concept for it.”

A whole Nate song >>> Akon

and ill put the T-Pain comment down as a joke

Rick McCrank

he's right, Nate Dogg wouldn't touch this gay shit

sure Nate has a few bad apples in his catalog, but that's very very few

Akon's a joke, stop lyin about your criminal record, you're worse than Rick Ross

Nate's classics will live way longer into the future than this disco shit

Paul

or kokane/knoc
funkyfreshintheflesh

Webby05

• Muthafuckin' Double OG
And its very sad Nate had to have 2 strokes to stop being competition...

Get well soon Nate, we havent forgotten you  8)

Jome

This is just the usual rep your new album by saying something slightly controversial stuff that all artists do these days.. there's not much to it.

If you look away from the ridiculous statement about T-Pain, he got some points though.. plus he gave Nate his respects.
Nate hasn't been active (+ sick) for a couple of years, so of course he hasn't been competition, and Nate did it another way then Akon:

• Nate Dogg jumped on singles by artists that wanted to sell, on a near finished track from usually the hottest producer at the moment, he basically just added a hook.
  • Akon is producing/co-producing tracks, (signing producers to produce as well), adding hooks to it and mastering it, and shopping it around for a set price, depending on the hit potential. I think he shops around whole CD's full of completed tracks with finished hooks, and empty space for verses to be inserted. The rapper can just add a verse to it, and he got a hit. Not to mention that Akon now runs his own label with more than 20 signed artists and about 10 contracted producers.. he's basically CEO, Exec.producer, producer, singer and A/R rolled into 1, he can pull a lot of strings now.

On a similar note, Nate Dogg better return soon..  :(

Lunatic

^that's very true

Paul: Ya, Knoc-turn'al and Kokane got better hook game than 'Kon/Pain as well.
Co-Director of Site Content For Raptalk.Net
Staff Writer For WordOfSouth.Com
Staff Writer For Illuminati2G.Net
Staff Writer For SoPrupRadio.com

Paul

^that's very true

Paul: Ya, Knoc-turn'al and Kokane got better hook game than 'Kon/Pain as well.

Yeah when it comes to hooks, but like Jome said Akon does it a different way and not directly comparing signings hooks with nate
funkyfreshintheflesh

Meho

• Muthafuckin' Don!

This is just the usual rep your new album by saying something slightly controversial stuff that all artists do these days.. there's not much to it.

If you look away from the ridiculous statement about T-Pain, he got some points though.. plus he gave Nate his respects.
Nate hasn't been active (+ sick) for a couple of years, so of course he hasn't been competition, and Nate did it another way then Akon:

• Nate Dogg jumped on singles by artists that wanted to sell, on a near finished track from usually the hottest producer at the moment, he basically just added a hook.
  • Akon is producing/co-producing tracks, (signing producers to produce as well), adding hooks to it and mastering it, and shopping it around for a set price, depending on the hit potential. I think he shops around whole CD's full of completed tracks with finished hooks, and empty space for verses to be inserted. The rapper can just add a verse to it, and he got a hit. Not to mention that Akon now runs his own label with more than 20 signed artists and about 10 contracted producers.. he's basically CEO, Exec.producer, producer, singer and A/R rolled into 1, he can pull a lot of strings now.

On a similar note, Nate Dogg better return soon..  :(

Preach on. Akon isn't saying that he's a better hook writer than Nate, he's saying he's much more than just a hook writer. He produces, creates song concepts from sracth, is a CEO... That T-Pain comment was foolish though.

Chamillitary Click

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The greatest entertainer ever.
one Nate hook>>>>>>>>Akon & T-Lame's career!

Hatesrats™

• Tha Drunk Gem-in-I
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • "Gz Up, Hoes Down"
It called "Ruined" Hip-Hop...THX ya Fuck's
(Fake ass Hook singer's)

MontrealCity's Most

• Muthafuckin' Don!
Well to me its Nate>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Akon, tpain all day everyday, i think he was trying to say something slighty contrevarcial but dude as much as i hate listening to his shit, does sell a lot of records...

Okka

lol at 'Kon thinkin him or T-Pain are anywhere close to Nate Dogg