Author Topic: Trick Trick Interview  (Read 126 times)

Lunatic

Trick Trick Interview
« on: December 08, 2008, 08:06:00 PM »
Not my work
http://www.illuminati2g.webs.com/tricktrickinterview.htm
I2G does it again!

Illuminati 2G sat down with Trick Trick for a exclusive interview. We discuss his current album, The Villian, in stores now, how the album came together, good memories of his friend Proof and so much more so relax and enjoy.

Illuminati 2G is here with Trick Trick how's it going?

I can't call it man. Working hard.

Tell me a little bit about how you got your start in the game and some of your musical influences out there in hip hop.

I got my start in the game in 1990. Click Boom Records. I used to produce records for this guy named World Famous RC when I was younger, and I just eventually started doing it myself. Stacking beats up and doing it myself, I did not have a sampler. I would record the part of the beat I wanted and pushed pause and then fired up the kick drum and then I started writing raps to it and reciting my raps over the beats that I thought it might sound good over. That is how I got started, as far as my musical influences, I would have to say number 1, from day 1, the reason why I decided to get into this game is because of Run DMC. I saw Krush Groove when it came out in the theaters on Thanksgiving. And when I saw them perform It's Like That on stage and said right there I want to do that. Right there what they doing, I want to do that. I have been blessed enough to do a tribute to Run DMC and Jam Master Jay and do that same performance on stage in front of 2,000 people. So that is really one of the highlights of my career. Dr. Dre is definitely a inspiration because how he conquered hell a billion times. He been to hell and back a few times. Ice Cube for his business savvy and the way he transferred from hip hop to movies and still does his hip hop thing and balances the 2. Definitely inspirational. Eminem, to come from nothing to so much. It was a long time before he made it, but when he made it, he made it and I applaud that. It is definitely a goal. So he made it happen and I feel I can do it also.

Tell me some early memories you have of the Goon Sqwad and Proof back in the day.

(laughs) Man it is so many of them. I remember Proof..., I used to pick Proof up when he used to stay with his Grandma. I used to pick him up and this muthafucka I would call him and tell him I am outside. And this was when cell phones was in a bag (laughs). When they was just big as fuck. I tell him I am outside and he would answer the phone and leave me outside waiting for 10 damn minutes. Then he would call and say he is at the door and I am parked right in front of the house. And every now and then when this would happen, you knew when you at to pick Proof up you had to wait a minute. Everybody knew that and anybody that knew Proof would tell you the same thing. You ever had to pick Proof up, you had to wait a minute. He not coming right out. But on so many occasions, he would just jump out of the tree in front of the house and you would never see him come out of the house. Literally. It's always a moment with Proof from day one, something he would do that would make you say how the fuck did he do that or what was he thinking about. I remember one time Proof ran up the side of the car wash. We owned a car wash back then called Good & Clean. Proof ran up the side of the car wash and kicked our homeboy Box square in his chest. He ran up the side of the car wash, like 3 steps up the side of the car wash, spinned around and kicked Boxie in the chest. That was some funny shit, but as far as the music was concerned, Proof taught me alot. He taught me not to use the word and so much. He was the first person to tell me that I need to start doing hooks. Remember back in the day when they did not have no hooks, the beat would just ride in the middle?

Right

He taught me how to perform on stage. He taught me about crowd participation. How to get the audience involved in your show and how to keep the crowd going and how not to do the whole song if they don't know what the fuck you rapping. He taught me so much man and I keep all that with me everyday.

How tough was it to get signed to Universal Motown with the Welcome To Detroit single with Eminem when it leaked?

It wasn't tough at all because they made me an offer previously. We were going to go in another direction but Jimmy Iovine would not clear that record unless I was in the Universal system. And that is understandable, he is one of the big Universal earners. Eminem is his key player so it was not tough to get the deal at all, it was tough being ON Motown Universal because they not a good label for rap. You got to be a babbling jackass to put a new urban artist out 2 days after Christmas battling against Mary J Blige and Jamie Foxx. That is not a smart move, I don't give a fuck who you is. That is just not educationally smart. That is not common sense. Being on Motown was more difficult, getting the deal was easy. Wendy Day negotiated the deal for us so we was not caught up in the middle of all that shit. Wendy and her attorney dealt with the stress of the ins and outs and to make sure everything was absolutely correct. She did a great job at that. So getting the deal was easy man. I still want to know who leaked the record but yesterday is yesterday and tomorrow is better.

How do you feel on your debut album that dropped on the label The People vs Trick Trick?

It was a learning experience. It was a gain financially. That was the first time I had that much legal money in my life. So that was the good part of it, the downside of it was the way that they did it. I did not like that or appreciate that shit at all. I felt like I was a shelved artist and they was riding on the fact that I had Eminem on a song and trying to spend a certain amount of money before the quarter ended for tax write off reasons. But I learned, and I can't really be too mad. I'm not mad at all to be honest with you. I'm glad it happened, I am glad I learned it before it was too late and I still have all the life I have in me now and this album is 200 times better than that album. So I ain't tripping homie, I ain't tripping (laughs).

That leads right into my next question. Let's get into the new album, The Villian. Tracklist is one of the craziest ones I have seen so far this year. I mean you got Eminem, production from Dr. Dre, Ice Cube, Royce Da 5'9". I mean any MC that has a name in Detroit is basically on this album. Tell me a little bit about how that album came together.

I worked in this studio called Studio 1 under Tommy Gunn. Well he is the owner of the studio, I am the co owner. He had one artist he would work with and I needed a studio to work at after I parted with Universal Motown. He opened his doors to me and gave me the keys and said do what you do. And me recording there drew the attention of other artists in Detroit because now we know for a fact this studio here, quality comes out of it. Everybody knew it, so then everybody started fucking with Studio 1. Artists like Guilty Simpson, producers like Black Milk, Bizarre from D 12, Royce Da 5'9", Paradime, everybody just started to come down and start to record. Me being in that environment already the opportunity to work with these artists and getting know these artists and building bridges. I learned alot from each one of them.

The request to work on my album from these artists was definitely mutual. I am trying to be on your album and vice versa so it was like a big family. As far as Kid Rock he is a really good friend of mine. Working with him was cool, I hang out with him and work with him and he has been staying in touch with me since he dropped his last album so I told him he needed to get down on this new album and he said no doubt and it was a wrap. I told him I had a song with Esham and myself and Proof and that he should get down on that. It is the remake of Run DMC's 2getha 4 Eva. Working with Esham was great because he is one of the pioneers out here in Detroit and one of the first to make it big out here. Working with Eminem was always big to me because he is Detroit. We worked together on the first album and it was a nice success and even with all the drama that surrounded the label with the record, it was a must we get back it the studio and right whatever we felt was wrong the first time and do it again. He helped out alot on the production and he helped me get the connection with Dr. Dre to get him on the album. I really appreciate him for doing that. Ice Cube also. It is crazy that I am working with him because I am so much of a fan of their music. WC is a good friend of mine, that is Cube's best friend. I have been knowing WC for 6,7,8 years. So he helped hook that up and Cube told me whatever you need. So me working with Koch and I also have my own label, I put together the album and I am the first artist to drop on my label. Everybody just came together to help me out. I ain't like I had to do a whole lot of searching to get artists on the album. Everyone is family. And I think that it is one of the baddest albums to come out of Detroit.

Tell me a little bit about the business ventures that you have outside of hip hop. Not just on the music tip.

Movies is my second passion and it is growing more and more everyday. I am in a movie called MVPthat is getting ready to drop either around Christmas or the beginning of next year. NBA players Kevin Edwards and Charles Oakley are involved in it and it is directed by Harry Davis. I started writing myself, so I have been doing that. I also appeared in a movie called Cut Print I had a small part in that. I did another movie called Booster Project but it sucked. I did not like it (laughs). We did what we had to do. That was with MC Eiht and Farrah Franklin who used to be with Destiny's Child. Mike Shorey, Robert Traylor. It was a pay day and it was fun. My first really big, big flim that I am doing now is called Game Squad with Ice Cube. There is another artist that is in the movie, I can't say his name because of the agreement that I have and the paperwork is not done. It is going to be one of the biggest movies that hip hop can speak on. I am proud to have written this movie. I am grateful to work with the people that are going to be in the movie. It is going to be a Cube Vision film, and it's going to be big. I am doing the movie The People Vs because that is a great script and I wrote that movie also.

Outside of the films I have a beverage company, Cintron Beverage Group, I am going to have a new drink coming out called G-Punch. There is a G-Punch fruit drink and there is a G-Punch energy drink. We already have beverages out in the markert right now. Energy drink and soft drinks so. That is coming along and that is everyday business and I have also invested into a clothing line called Christian Anthony Collection. Which is more angelic and christian orientated as opposed to the tight ass shit you see people wearing today. It is more upscale. It is kind of hard to tell you about it and not have something to show you the proof or some pieces to show you, but we definitely working close on that right now. I have my hands full with my day to day businesses. It is a muthafucka (laughs)

Well that is all the questions that I have for you, appreciate you getting down for the interview. The Villian in stores now, so people go pick that up. Is there any last words or shoutouts you want to get out there to the fans or to the people?

I appreciate all of the support, all of the fans and I appreciate my haters. You hate me, you blow me up. It is motivation like a muthafucka. To just yall damn asses up but for the most part shout out to the Goon Sqwad out in Detroit. Shout out to Memphis for standing up and fucking with a nigga. Shout out to the west coast as the west coast they on the rise again. And shout out to all the artists on this album. Eminem, Kid Rock, Dr. Dre, Royce, Esham, Ice Cube, Paradime, Guilty Simpson, Marv Won, and everyone else. Shout out to Young Buck and Lil Jon. Shout out to Snoop Dogg, Daz and Kurupt, I could go one forever man. Shout out to all my family and all my friends.

Alright man appreciate you getting down for the interview

No problem man thank you.       
« Last Edit: December 08, 2008, 08:20:35 PM by Lunatic 63 »
Co-Director of Site Content For Raptalk.Net
Staff Writer For WordOfSouth.Com
Staff Writer For Illuminati2G.Net
Staff Writer For SoPrupRadio.com

Chamillitary Click

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The greatest entertainer ever.
Re: Trick Trick Interview
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2008, 08:16:25 PM »
Trick Trick was around 1990? wow, i did not know that! :laugh:

damn, thats crazy.

props on the interview Luna (as usual ;))

ill read the whole thing tomorrow.

Lunatic

« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2008, 08:19:18 PM »
^this aint my work
Co-Director of Site Content For Raptalk.Net
Staff Writer For WordOfSouth.Com
Staff Writer For Illuminati2G.Net
Staff Writer For SoPrupRadio.com

Jaydc555

« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2008, 08:37:56 PM »
Dope interview.he's not the greatest rapper but he doesn't pretend to be either...I enjoyed the villain

D-Nice

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I Made Jesus Walks/So I Ain't Never Going To Hell
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2008, 09:28:51 PM »
Nice interview. Trick seems funny as hell.