Author Topic: Common new album rated 2.8 by Pitchfork  (Read 581 times)

Elano

Common new album rated 2.8 by Pitchfork
« on: December 10, 2008, 05:42:00 AM »
Damn...

Common:
Universal Mind Control
[Geffen; 2008]
Rating: 2.8

On a song called "Announcement" from his eighth LP, Universal Mind Control, Common raps, "I still love H.E.R., she be needin' the dick/ When it comes to hip-hop, it's just me and my bitch." He's referring to his 1994 song "I Used to Love H.E.R.", where he began to seriously define himself as a moralistic foil to the gangster rap phenomenon. The reference seems ironic on an album this vacuous and amoral.

Then again, the song has been ironic from the start. In conflating hip-hop's downfall with that of a loose woman, Common succumbed to a definitive moral hazard-- misogyny-- of the gangster rap he railed against. During the last faint reverberations of hip-hop's so-called golden age, this odd blend of puritanical defiance and doomed acquiescence wasn't unusual. Notice how, on A Tribe Called Quest's "Check the Rhime", Phife goes from "have all my hos in check" to "my aura's positive, I don't promote no junk" in three seconds flat.

Common emerged (as Common Sense) at the tail end of Afrocentric rap's heyday, which helped him escape obsolescence as his peers fell by the wayside. Treading the precarious line between positive maverick and mainstream star has defined him for his entire career. On Be and Finding Forever, with assistance from Kanye West, he struck a winning, humanizing balance between moralism and hedonism, proving that the two needn't be mutually exclusive. But on Universal Mind Control, his personalities split off into what seem like two wildly different EPs, one awful and one tepid.

The awful half is the first one, a bizarre concoction of featherweight electro, sex raps à la LL Cool J, "Sir Psycho Sexy"-era Red Hot Chili Peppers, party-starting clichés, and interminable A-A-A-A rhyme patterns that were fresh circa "Rapper's Delight". Putting aside the obvious laziness of Common's lyrics and the Neptunes' production, it seems more than anything like a profound failure of self-awareness. On the title track, Pharrell informs us that "This is that new shit and it don't feel the same," which Common contradicts with an almost satirically old-school "dang diggy dang da-dang da-dang dang."

"Punch Drunk Love (The Eye)" is just cynical, with its throwaway Kanye hook (gotta get him in the credits somehow) and buried Auto-Tuned singing by Pharrell. "Make My Day" benefits from a jovial Cee-Lo cameo and a spry jackhammer beat by Mr. DJ that a harder rapper would eat up, but Common needs warm, soulful beats to thrive, and he mostly sounds lost here. At least the inane lyrics ("Baby girl I'm a man/ And we can do this my way/ Take a ride on the highway/ And pretend that it's Friday... and it is!") gain some incidental surging effects from Mr. DJ's efforts. The ugly, blocky nadir "Sex 4 Suga" sounds like an Andy Samberg parody. Things settle down a little with "Announcement", but you know you've got a problem when a Pharrell verse actually livens up your song.

The tepid second half is oddly something of a relief. Common shows signs of life on "Gladiator", surging powerfully over noir strings and jittery piano, but comparing yourself to Nelson Mandela-- not to mention "a radical" who "don't fit the game"-- is a tough sell on this record. At least Common sounds comfortable amid the breezy chimes and canned platitudes. A perfunctory Obama shout-out on "Changes" finds Common taking a rare glimpse outside of himself, but it's too little, too late. Universal Mind Control is a painful misstep from a talented rapper who's decided to be as nasty as he wants to be-- which turns out to be much, much nastier than we'd like.

http://www.pitchforkmedia.com/article/record_review/148036-common-universal-mind-control

Jaydc555

Re: Common new album rated 2.8 by Pitchfork
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2008, 08:02:55 AM »
Ill give the album a listen but something tells me this review is on point

Birdie

• Muthafuckin' Double OG
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2008, 08:47:02 AM »
(G.O.O.D. Music period):

Be = 10/10
Finding Forever = 8.5/10
Universal Mind Control = 7/10

to me ;)

It's funky enough!

RingMan

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • BWS Czech Capo
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2008, 08:48:27 AM »
fuck Bitchwork

Rap is not real, I don't care what they told you,
Fake people say fake things in their vocalbooth
- Soul Position - Mic Control

I make it hard to read me, graffiti flow - Rakim - Word On The Streets

Lunatic

« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2008, 10:44:58 AM »
I agree. bad shot at creativity with this new album.
Co-Director of Site Content For Raptalk.Net
Staff Writer For WordOfSouth.Com
Staff Writer For Illuminati2G.Net
Staff Writer For SoPrupRadio.com

Elano

« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2008, 10:46:53 AM »
Common reviews his album
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/5jWkbItK58Q" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/5jWkbItK58Q</a>

NotoriousTDA

« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2008, 03:14:09 PM »
gunna have to agree, no replay value at all. only song i really enjoyed was announcement and that came out ages ago  :-\

Blood$

« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2008, 05:12:52 PM »
I think he got like a 6/10 over at AHH too... I doubt I'm even gonna bother peepin' the album

everlast1986

« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2008, 05:53:10 PM »
I was pretty skeptic about the album when i first heard about it but i didn't think it would be as horrible as it is. Its a shame this is a Common album that i'm saying this about. The only track i kept on my hard drive is "Gladiator".

OchoCinco

« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2008, 06:47:31 PM »
im listen to it right now...i like it. i could careless bout some reviews.

R1ZE

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Do 4 Love
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2008, 07:36:23 PM »
...didnt they give 808s a 4/5?

:laugh:

music reviews = worthless

only reviews i trust are for videogames

AnybodyKilla

« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2008, 08:00:09 PM »

LOLLLLL, real talk!!!

Jaydc555

« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2008, 08:02:50 PM »
Even some video game reviews you can't trust.I've played a few games that were praised by critics and I thought sucked more dick then Paris Hilton on an average Thursday

Þŕiņçë

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Cold Hearted Son Of A Bitch
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2008, 08:55:41 PM »
Im not sure i would trust a review by someone who goes about calling themselves "Pitchfork"

Sickaluffa

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • my bitch drives what u drive and she got new tits
« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2008, 09:14:03 PM »

LOLLLLL, real talk!!!

very true