Author Topic: DJ Premier: “I Gave 50 Cent A Bangin’ Beat But He Turned It Down”  (Read 1310 times)

Elano

Last night at New York City’s 92 Street Y, Hot 97 radio personality Peter Rosenberg sat down with legendary producer DJ Premier for what was said to be the first installment of his Noisemakers series of one-on-one interviews with some of the biggest names in hip-hop. During the discussion Primo spoke about many of his infamous collaborations, and those that were never able to materialize.

When asked what rappers he’d like to have worked with that haven’t yet manifested, Premier said “Definitely Busta,” before adding, “50 too. I gave 50 a bangin’ beat, [but] he turned it down. It was dope, though.”

The rap vet didn’t dwell on that as he explained what it was like to work with The Nototious B.I.G. “Biggie called me in a frantic panic on the phone and was like, Yo, I got one more song I need for my album and I’m done; I gotta get a song from you.” That conversation soon turned into “Unbelievable,” off of Big’s debut, Ready to Die, which Primo “thought was a little too nice for the way his voice sounded,” but Big Poppa “just walked in the booth and laid it—no paper, no nothin’.”

When the possibility of a full-length album was brought up, he acknowledged that the wheels are in motion, but it may be difficult to get everyone he wants on the release. “I talked about starting it a couple weeks ago, because a lot of artists [want to help]—like Kanye, [after] I scratched on his album, he was like, ‘Yo, I’ll give you one for free whenever you need me.’ And I know that the bigger people get, it’s harder to get ‘em. Even Jay-Z is hard to get now, and we were around each other for years, but it’s hard to even get at him. I’m just trying to swap with everybody.”

The perfectionist that he is, Primo knows the situation needs to be right. “It’s gotta be like my Chronic,” he continued. “Just like the way Dre came out with Chronic and just shitted on everybody, mine’s gotta be the same way.”

Whether or not a DJ Premier album is in the immediate future, more music is certainly on the way. “I’m back to almost a beat every two days,” he assured. “The money’s always secondary. That’s the reason why I think I still get work. Even in desperate times, I still gotta make the record bang.”

Chamillitary Click

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The greatest entertainer ever.
Re: DJ Premier: “I Gave 50 Cent A Bangin’ Beat But He Turned It Down”
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2008, 08:57:03 AM »
lol, 50 is retarded.

Reventón Bogotá Rolla

• Muthafuckin' Double OG
  • High Roller
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2008, 09:19:56 AM »
Love this man's dedication, sounds like he always and still got the hunger

2009 Kid CuDi - Man on the Moon: The Guardians

Invincible

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2008, 10:16:34 AM »
lol, 50 is retarded.

No doubt.

If that Premier album does get confirmed, that will probably go ahead of Detox as most wanted album. Probably take numerous amount of years to make aswell, as he'll want perfection too.

Blood$

« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2008, 11:00:17 AM »
maybe it's a good thing 50 turned the beat down, somebody else could have possibly ripped it better

es-jay

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2008, 11:12:54 AM »
shame on 50...

AnybodyKilla

« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2008, 01:21:12 PM »
lol, 50 is retarded.

No doubt.

If that Premier album does get confirmed, that will probably go ahead of Detox as most wanted album. Probably take numerous amount of years to make aswell, as he'll want perfection too.

Nah, i dont think it would come close to as anticipated as Detox, Premier aint as known as much as Dre!!!

hellrazor86

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • There Can Only Be One Don
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2008, 02:14:05 PM »
maybe it's a good thing 50 turned the beat down, somebody else could have possibly ripped it better

Rickdeeznutz

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2008, 02:27:56 PM »
Damn 50 is a fool, a Premo album with evry beat prod by him would be  :o

Chamillitary Click

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The greatest entertainer ever.
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2008, 02:55:55 PM »
now that i think of it...

it was probably a great beat, but 50 heard it and said to himself "its just not my style".

i mean, thats my take on it; but why else are you turning down a Premo beat?

R1ZE

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Do 4 Love
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2008, 03:00:53 PM »
who knows... not everything preme does is gold.

50 used to rap over those types of beats. maybe he was afraid it wouldnt be commercial enough. who knows, he might reach back out some day

Meho

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2008, 04:48:55 PM »
I always thought these 2 were Premo beats.

http://limelinx.com/files/bc0fb6cd15160edf3bc981474ccb7cdd

http://limelinx.com/files/0715140d263d2f9286dcc9bb83b315f0

Knowing 50 he was probably overthinking it and saying to himself something like "the general public won't accept this song", "I can't strategically position it on my album"... Altough he did say that his favourite track on Luda's new album is MVP.

You Ain't Shit

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • DPGC-WSCG-4LIFE
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2008, 04:54:12 PM »

no maybe about it, this is a good thing.

Invincible

« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2008, 06:53:11 PM »
lol, 50 is retarded.

No doubt.

Nah, i dont think it would come close to as anticipated as Detox, Premier aint as known as much as Dre!!!

Thats just me personally.  ;)

R1ZE

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Do 4 Love
« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2008, 07:31:16 PM »
I always thought these 2 were Premo beats.

http://limelinx.com/files/bc0fb6cd15160edf3bc981474ccb7cdd

http://limelinx.com/files/0715140d263d2f9286dcc9bb83b315f0

Knowing 50 he was probably overthinking it and saying to himself something like "the general public won't accept this song", "I can't strategically position it on my album"... Altough he did say that his favourite track on Luda's new album is MVP.

whats that first song off of? its dope!