Author Topic: 12-15-08 Yukmouth Interview  (Read 543 times)

Sickaluffa

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • my bitch drives what u drive and she got new tits
12-15-08 Yukmouth Interview
« on: December 15, 2008, 01:47:57 PM »

Before hyphy, ghost riding whips, and the mainstream use of the word thizzle there was the Luniz who burst on to the hip-hop scene with their classic hit single “I Got 5 On It”. The song not only gave smokers an official anthem but it gave the bay area some much needed recognition in the hip-hop world. One half of that group was bay area pioneer Yukmouth.

With few people coming before him, Yukmouth was a big help in laying the blueprint for successful artists in the bay area. After the dissolving of the Luniz it was far from over for Yuk as he embarked on a successful career by capitalizing on his cult like fan base. After all this time the name Yukmouth is still one that rings bells not only in the bay but hip-hop in general.

As of late Yukmouth has continued releasing classic material, doing big things in the DVD game, and helping to keep the bay hot. Sixshot.Com got up with Yukmouth to discuss his early successes, being one of the first rappers to break into the DVD game, the impact his friend Mac Dre had on hip-hop, and why we might never see a Luniz reunion.

Sixshot.Com: All right Yuk the first thing I wanted to ask you about is the United Ghettos Of America DVD you put out a few years ago. That was one of the first underground DVD's ever. Did you have any idea at that point that the underground DVD market would blow up like it did?

Yukmouth: I never knew the DVD scene would blow up like that. I just started filming like on some reality show type shit. The fans want to see and they want to know what goes down on the daily with there favorite entertainers. Now everybody out there is doing DVD’s to bring their fans closer to them and to let their fans get to know them better. From all the DVD’s comes the reality shows now so filming has become so big in TV and music.

Sixshot.Com: I was watching a video on Youtube where you were saying that a lot of dudes were shouting Mac Dre's name and taking his style and didn't even know him. How did his death effect you and do you still feel that way today?

Yukmouth: I still feel that way man. A lot of people in the bay that never knew Mac Dre was riding’ off his name and fame as the first hyphy rapper. People were dressing like him, talking and acting like him, and didn't have a clue of who he really was or what he represented. All that hyphy music came from Mac Dre. All the dancing crazy, wearing stunna shades, and ghost riding whips all came from him and his Thizz Entertainment movement, period.

Sixshot.Com: You're doing your thing with Smoke A Lot. What are your future plans for the label and how big do you think it can get?

Yukmouth: Well as for Smoke A Lot Records I'm finally able to sign myself to my own label now that I left Rap A Lot so hopefully the label will blow like my albums did in the past. I got a strong fan base and I've been selling records without radio and video, just word of mouth my whole career so I’m used to no airplay and still selling over a hundred thousand units every album thanks to my fans. Hopefully they will continue to support me in the future. The next move for Smoke A Lot is my next album, The West Coast Don. After that we got the Thuglordz and The Regime. Also we got the UGA Volume 3 CD and DVD as well as the Eye Candy Volume 2 DVD and CD so we’re definitely dropping a lot of stuff in 2009.

Sixshot.Com: As a pioneer of Bay Area hip-hop how do you feel about the hip-hop coming out of the Bay today?

Yukmouth: I feel the music in the Bay is over looked a lot because a lot of people only think of L.A. when they think of the west coast. They have to also peep that all the slang words and game comes from the bay area and not from L.A. All the slang Snoop uses comes from the Bay area. L.A. people don't talk like that. I just think at the end of the day we need to link up with L.A. and make the west coast as big as possible because right now the whole west coast is falling off. We got to unify and keep it gangsta and not pop.

Sixshot.Com: Why do you think you've been able to remain relevant in hip-hop for so long?

Yukmouth: Like I said, I got a strong fan base and The Regime is a worldwide movement. There are Regime members from the west coast, mid-west, east coast, and down south so we’re getting pushed in every market. Also overseas in Germany, Australia, Amsterdam, New Zealand, and London we’re doing our thing so the movement is everywhere so I think that has a lot to do with the support and the sales of my projects still to this day. We are pushing the line everywhere, dragon gang.

Sixshot.Com: Last time we talked you weren't really feeling Numskull. How is your relationship with him now and will we ever see a Luniz reunion?

Yukmouth: Well nothing really changed since then. I still don't get along with numskull and I’m still doing me. He disrespected me too many times to just keep forgiving him. Its like we cool one day then we beefing the next so to avoid all the bullshit drama I don't fuck with him no more and he got more problems than me right now. He’s locked up facing 20 to life so all I can do is pray for him now so no reunion unless he beats his case.

Sixshot.Com: You've become a serious CEO. Do you prefer working behind the scenes or in front of the camera?

Yukmouth: I say both because I like making music and I like making money as a CEO of my own label so I like to play both sides of the field as far as this music goes, CEO/rapper/trapper, put that all together and you got Yukmouth.

Sixshot.Com: You and C-Bo are releasing projects as well. How did that come about and what is it like with you two in the studio?

Yukmouth: C-Bo and me became the Thuglordz in 2001 when we made the song “Spray Yaself”. That was the first song C-Bo and me ever did together and from that day on we just clicked like big brother and little brother. We get along how Numskull and me used to get along back when the Luniz first started, so we about to drop Thuglordz 2: Thug Money in 2009 so all the fans should get ready for that.

Sixshot.Com: I've heard a couple diss tracks by you and C-Bo going at G-Unit and The Game. What's the situation there?

Yukmouth: Yeah that was in the past. Now C-Bo signed to Young Buck so we stopped beefing with the unit. As far as Game goes, him and me squashed our beef before the Beef 3 DVD even came out so its no more beef with these guys. We all good.

Sixshot.Com: Were you happy with the response to Million Dollar Mouthpiece?

Yukmouth: I’m happy with every album I drop. Just to be able to make music and get paid instead of selling drugs in the streets is a blessing. So Million Dollar Mouthpiece didn't sell as much because of the fallen economy and low sales in the music industry. I’m not mad. People are broke now and they’re not buying music. Artists that used to sell 3 to 5 million units is only going gold now because of the economy so everybody’s sales are going down, not just mine so I’m humble about the situation.

Sixshot.Com: You've collaborated with a lot of artists. Who are some of your favorite artists to work with?

Yukmouth: My favorite artist to work with is niggas that's like me. I smoke kush all day and everyday so niggas who smoke is my best artist to work with, niggas like Devin The Dude, B-Legit, Redman. Mac Dre, C-Bo, Bun-B, Z-Ro, Lil’ Flip, and D-Don from New Jersey. I burn the roof down when I’m in the studio with these artists.

Sixshot.Com: You tour a lot Yuk and you been a lot of places. Can you tell us the craziest shit that ever happened to you on tour?

Yukmouth: The Luniz was on the Jodeci and Biggie Smalls tour when we were kicked off the tour for shit we didn't do. We was the opening act for the tour so when the big names on the tour would get in trouble they would blame everything on us. For instance, Junior Mafia had burned up a hotel room in Sacramento and they blamed it on the Luniz and we weren’t even in the same hotel.

Our room was across the street from theirs so it was a lot of favoritism going on so we finally got kicked off the tour for things the other artist did. That’s the most fucked up shit that happened to us on tour.

Sixshot.Com: All right man give us a run down of all the projects you have coming up that we can look out for.

Yukmouth: Well like I said we’re going to drop my new album first which is the West Coast Don then Thuglordz 2: Thug Money, The Regime and Dragon Gang, and UGA Volume 3 are all going to be dropping in 2009 so be on the lookout for those projects. I’m also doing a documentary about my life called Million Dollar Mouthpiece so also be on the lookout for that online or in stores.

Sixshot.Com: Anything you'd like to say to all your fans out there?

Yukmouth: I just want to say thank you to all my fans because without them I’m nothing so as long as yall continue to support me and my Regime movement I will keep dropping hot albums and DVDs. God bless and one thug one love.

Source: Yukmouth - Million Dollar Mouthpiece :: Hip-Hop Interview

kuruptDPG

Re: 12-15-08 Yukmouth Interview
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2008, 04:26:52 PM »
damn cant wait for those projects. never knew he went on tour with biggie and jodeci, yuk would shit on junior mafia

oak20land510-415

• Muthafuckin' OG
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2008, 04:35:48 PM »
Yuk is hands down tha best in tha WEST all you gotta do do is compare him to others on tha WEST and look at his discovery Yuk is tha only nigga dat I can think of who came in the game spittin fire and still spittin fire without fallin off I can't wait for West Coast Don to drop

DJ ACE CAPONE

• Muthafuckin' Double OG
  • An OG's OG
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2008, 04:39:24 PM »
Need to ask him why his latest albums been so crappy.
New mixtape out weekly:

Listen to my mixtapes bitches! www.DJACEINTHEMIX.com

oak20land510-415

• Muthafuckin' OG
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2008, 04:49:22 PM »
What do you mean by crappy do you mean the quailty if so dats RapALots fault they was hatin but besides dat tha album was a knocker

hellrazor86

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • There Can Only Be One Don
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2008, 01:52:55 AM »
Yuk Is Tha Truth.. Dude Can Spit.. can Actually Talk Wisdom.. Knows What The Fuck Is Goin On.. And Is Humble In Many Ways!

Good Reading.. Nice Projects.. 2009 Is Tha Year

2euce 7even

« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2008, 11:11:16 AM »
Yukmeezy :D

you gon always be my latin queen bitch

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2008, 11:47:45 AM »
for real!!!
fuck has he been doin lately?

Why do you think you've been able to remain relevant in hip-hop for so long?

that question, I mean hes not!

Need to ask him why his latest albums been so crappy.
damn u still havent logged off...ur hurting everyone with all this wack shit u drop, it hurts more then getting the swine flu
Tue, Mar 16, 2010 at 8:15 AM By: Ice Cube
Me and Mack 10 together again? I never say never, but he has the kiss the ring first.
Cube
gbee:@ Petey: you sound like a broken record, time to grow up.

GATMAN

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2008, 03:40:40 AM »
Cool Shit 8)

G iC3

• Muthafuckin' OG
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2008, 08:55:31 AM »
Dope Interview!!!
 8)
G'z Up, Ho'z Down....& If Tha B!TCH Can't Swimm Than Tha B!TCH Iz Bound 2 Drizzown!

KURUPTION-81

« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2008, 12:04:54 PM »
Good to hear from Yuk, anticipating his solo album and the regime, would also love to see him and tech do an album together.

"My greatest challenge is not what's happening at the moment, my greatest challenge was knocking Liverpool right off their fucking perch. And you can print that." Alex Ferguson

AnybodyKilla

« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2008, 01:13:47 PM »
YADADAAA!!!

thebayinthebildin

• Muthafuckin' OG
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2008, 07:57:18 PM »
yuk is that dude!

i thought mdmp was dopeeee especially his track wth crooked i that shit slapped. yuk is my boy keep that shit up.

papa-smurf

« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2008, 11:23:30 PM »
LA and the bay do need to come together.....Im from LA and i think LA rappers like snoop,ice cube and the game need to put some bay artist on they singles and shit to give the bay more exposure,the bay got some good artist out there,i dont like hyphy music but if soulja boy could sell retarded records i know its people that a like that hyphy shit......hyphy and soulja music is under the same unbrella to me..it all same retarded but it could make money if soulja boy can...But get this straight LA dont take the bay style,U a never see none of my homies going hyphy and rocking dreads and shit....We do our on thang...we be on some fly shit,going hyphy and shit aint considered fly...

oak20land510-415

• Muthafuckin' OG
« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2008, 09:20:47 AM »
I'm glad Yuk ain't on dat bullshit i'm from OAKLAND myself I don't rock wit tha hyphy shit I'm more on a gangsta tip