Author Topic: Review magazines / Reviewers Websites...  (Read 96 times)

LyRiCaL_G

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I love YaBB 1 Gold!
Review magazines / Reviewers Websites...
« on: December 20, 2008, 11:15:41 AM »
Back in the day, a review was a big muthafucking thing in hiphop. I know source was always biased against westcoast hiphop when the beef between the coasts was at its peak and so on but they always had alot of rep at one stage. You get a pass from the source, you get your 4-5 mic album, u made yourself a heater was the general feeling.

Obviously shit moves on and things change blah blah blah but who do u consider to be the highly respected/coveted review passes a nigga looks to get when making an album?

Are there any left?

XXL nobody really respects for its rating system and it was one that many were highly critical from day one but now nobody really cares about that. How about more underground magazine or more 'higher class' or magazines?

How about websites??

What do y'all check when u checking a review or y'all dont trust a review site no more and just listen to shit straight without any reading?

pz!

teletomble

D-Nice

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I Made Jesus Walks/So I Ain't Never Going To Hell
Re: Review magazines / Reviewers Websites...
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2008, 11:23:01 AM »
HipHopSite normally has some good ones. But yeah lately I just cop music and decide on my own, but I used to read Vibe, Source and XXL and Murder Dog faithfully to see what the mags thought about new releases. The last joke of a review I seen from the Source was giving Lil Kim's The Naked Truth 5 mics. That must have been one hell of a gangbang or BJ to get that shit.

LyRiCaL_G

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I love YaBB 1 Gold!
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2008, 11:34:54 AM »
^^haha for real, she must have blew the whole crew to get that 5 mic!

D-Nice

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2008, 11:37:50 AM »
^^haha for real, she must have blew the whole crew to get that 5 mic!

Hell yeah. I did not even buy that album. I burned that shit, because there is no possible way she could drop a 5 mic album.

LyRiCaL_G

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I love YaBB 1 Gold!
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2008, 11:44:13 AM »
^^yeh for real. But i guess thats the point. Before people would read a review and check the album after. Even hiphop artists were very concerned about reviews but these days imo they dont have such an impact on how a album will be recieved/ be successful or not.

Im kinda like you. I used to enjoy reading reviews about albums and whats been said about them but nowadays, i just check an album straight off not giving a fuck about a review because so many are influenced by outside/political factors.

I'd actually probably put more weight on a dude who i respect in here if they did a well written reivew over magazines now!

I crazy how shit moves forward!

pz!

D-Nice

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2008, 11:50:46 AM »
^^yeh for real. But i guess thats the point. Before people would read a review and check the album after. Even hiphop artists were very concerned about reviews but these days imo they dont have such an impact on how a album will be recieved/ be successful or not.

Im kinda like you. I used to enjoy reading reviews about albums and whats been said about them but nowadays, i just check an album straight off not giving a fuck about a review because so many are influenced by outside/political factors.

I'd actually probably put more weight on a dude who i respect in here if they did a well written reivew over magazines now!

I crazy how shit moves forward!

pz!

Yeah that was always the first section of the mags I would read would be the reviews. I think once the whole Source/XXL beef popped off it really showed how in depth the politics is and it really made them look bad. But to be honest I have not read a Source or XXl mag in about 6 months.