Author Topic: Revisited Ice Cube's discography  (Read 5508 times)

D-Nice

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I Made Jesus Walks/So I Ain't Never Going To Hell
Re: Revisited Ice Cube's discography
« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2009, 08:01:34 PM »
Aight just got finished bumping Lethal Injection

This album had a more laid back feel to it then his previous work. More of a G-Funk feel to it. Really Doe is still my shit from this album. Ghetto Bird (nice to see the influence from this song on State Of Emergency on Game's album), Make It Ruff, Make It Smooth, Lil Ass Gee

Subject matter is still poignant, but it is a bit calmer, but west coast to the fullest. 

You know what's highly underrated from this record is the original version of What Can I Do?  I think I like the original just as much if not more than the remix especially the end of the track where Cube's naming off all the laws the white man has broke and then puttin' you jail for those same laws.  Love that.

Oh shit I forgot that one lol. Hell yeah, I love both versions, the remix a slight bit more than the original. Video is a classic to the remix. That Bootlegs & B-Sides was a dope ass album also.

Laconic

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Barracuda With It.
« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2009, 08:12:14 PM »
cool topic, thanks for doing this ;)
dubcc is going through a tough time after all

No prob. I miss the days when we would all get in this thread and just kick some knowledge or memories about some albums.

Speaking of memories...I remember when this dropped towards the end of '93 and my brother had bought it for me for Christmas but I had to hide it from my folks cause to put it succinctly they weren't too fond of Cube back then.  Now my Dad be watching some of his movies hahaha!!!  Good times.

D-Nice

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2009, 08:17:24 PM »

No prob. I miss the days when we would all get in this thread and just kick some knowledge or memories about some albums.

Speaking of memories...I remember when this dropped towards the end of '93 and my brother had bought it for me for Christmas but I had to hide it from my folks cause to put it succinctly they weren't too fond of Cube back then.  Now my Dad be watching some of his movies hahaha!!!  Good times.

LOL! A little off subject, but I truly believe if J-Dee from the Lench Mob did not get that murder case, we would be talking about him with the likes of Cube, Dre, Snoop, etc. Man he was ill as fuck.

Laconic

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Barracuda With It.
« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2009, 08:20:37 PM »

LOL! A little off subject, but I truly believe if J-Dee from the Lench Mob did not get that murder case, we would be talking about him with the likes of Cube, Dre, Snoop, etc. Man he was ill as fuck.

No doubt.  He was my favorite out of the big 3 (Shorty, T Bone, J Dee)  And to go off topic again do you know what happened to Maulkie from Planet of Da Apes?

Laconic

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Barracuda With It.
« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2009, 08:41:09 PM »

No doubt.  He was my favorite out of the big 3 (Shorty, T Bone, J Dee)  And to go off topic again do you know what happened to Maulkie from Planet of Da Apes?

Maulkie was part of the duo Yomo & Maulkie (but you probably already know this  ;))....
their album Are U Xperienced? was tight as fuck. (produced by Yella)...

I actually didn't know about that.  Props...

D-Nice

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #20 on: January 10, 2009, 08:47:45 PM »
Neither did I, props

Chad Vader

« Reply #21 on: January 10, 2009, 08:50:30 PM »

Maulkie was part of the duo Yomo & Maulkie (but you probably already know this  ;))....
their album Are U Xperienced? was tight as fuck. (produced by Yella)...

I actually didn't know about that.  Props...

For real? shit,then you're in for a treat  ;)
here it is  ;)

Neither did I, props

:o :o :o

you better check it out asap....

what about;?

produced by Polarbear  ;)

Here's two tracks from the album;

Shorty of da Lench Mob; Short Stories

05 short stories.m4a Ice Cube Diss part 1
http://www.mediafire.com/?0nazmaad72m
06 Oshea_s great adventures.m4a Ice Cube Diss part 2
http://www.mediafire.com/?8ymtgnxncrd
both tracks produced by Polarbear

Related thread;
The Ultimate Beef Thread (Lench Mob VS Cube);
« Last Edit: January 10, 2009, 09:02:01 PM by Chad Vader »

Dre-Day

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • No justice, no peace
« Reply #22 on: January 11, 2009, 02:06:23 AM »

yeah that was the shit  8)
don't worry, new stuff will come too :)
though we could use that guy from New York

You got your guy from NY...meeeee!!!  LOL!!!

oh yeah you're from New York, my bad  :laugh: i forgot about that  ;)
i was actually talking about somebody else though, as you may figured out  ;)

do you remember a poster named HighEyeCue?
he's "one of us"  ;)
i know New York is huge and we don't know what he looks like, but someone should tell him to get his ass back on here  :laugh:

what's funny though is that ever since he left, you appeared on my radar  ;)
you're filling a part of the void  8)

that's an interesting story  ;)
yeah things look a lot different from the outside, than from the inside  ;)
it's affecting us all everyday

« Last Edit: January 11, 2009, 02:25:33 AM by Dre-Day »

Dre-Day

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • No justice, no peace
« Reply #23 on: January 11, 2009, 02:23:35 AM »
Not really doing it in order but right now I am bumping The Predator.

It's funny how America has changed alot since this album dropped. The whole riots and Rodney King verdict fueled alot of interest in this album and Cube was like the street corner reporter on this album. I miss that from artists today, he made you feel like you were right in South Central when all this was going on.

HEAVY Cypress/Muggs influence on this album. Muggs was the co executive producer. Kind of miss those dark track they used to do together like that.

Say Hi To The Bad Guy to this day is  :o to me. That flow Cube on that was incredible.

Slept on album once you sit back and look at his catalog. Gets lost in the shuffle but alot of his biggest hits are on this one and it is his highest selling album. I will drop some thoughts on the rest of his albums later but those are just a couple thoughts. Feel free to discuss on whatever else. Tanj, HEC where yall at, get in here.  ;D

well my problem with the album is the production.
unlike you, i'm not really a fan of Muggs  ;)
overall the production the Predator sounds boring/repetitive to me, just like some of the Cypress Hill stuff.

Aight just got finished bumping Lethal Injection

This album had a more laid back feel to it then his previous work. More of a G-Funk feel to it. Really Doe is still my shit from this album. Ghetto Bird (nice to see the influence from this song on State Of Emergency on Game's album), Make It Ruff, Make It Smooth, Lil Ass Gee

Subject matter is still poignant, but it is a bit calmer, but west coast to the fullest. 

yeah artistically it's probably not his best work, but it's my favourite Cube album  :)
out of all his albums, this one has the best production on it IMO

D-Nice

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #24 on: January 11, 2009, 07:50:34 AM »
Yeah I am a die hard Muggs fan.  ;D

Laconic

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Barracuda With It.
« Reply #25 on: January 11, 2009, 11:29:01 AM »

I ain't that big on Muggs either,he's alright.... but never really been on my radar.  ;)

Thanks for that Maulkie & Yomo link.  Appreciate it  8)

Dre-Day

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • No justice, no peace
« Reply #26 on: January 11, 2009, 11:31:24 AM »

I ain't that big on Muggs either,he's alright.... but never really been on my radar.  ;)

yo Chad, you should re-check Cube's first album  ;)

D-Nice

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #27 on: January 11, 2009, 11:55:46 AM »
Bumping Death Certificate, will drop thoughts later.

Muggs and Cypress as a whole has such a unique sound. Muggs really is one of a few producers that has a very universal sound. He can make a east coast sounding beat, west, rock, the whole 9. His core sound was keys heavy with scratches and low bass. Temples Of Boom he completely switched it up.

Anyways to stay on topic, Muggs style fit well to me with Cube because he was going more with that dark sound and it fit well with the mood of Predator. Dre, Fred Wreck, Hallway, JR Rotem, etc these type producers Cube sounds dope over.

Laconic

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Barracuda With It.
« Reply #28 on: January 11, 2009, 05:12:34 PM »
^I haven't heard it yet.  Soon enough...

Chad Vader

« Reply #29 on: January 11, 2009, 07:36:49 PM »

Thanks for that Maulkie & Yomo link.  Appreciate it  8)

you liked it?

yo Chad, you should re-check Cube's first album  ;)

I will,Predator is on rotation now  ;)

^I haven't heard it yet.  Soon enough...

here's one of their video's;  ;)
Yomo & Maulkie ''Mockingbird''
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/jl9O8-6vrzE&amp;hl=en&amp;fs=1" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/jl9O8-6vrzE&amp;hl=en&amp;fs=1</a>