Author Topic: Revisited Ice Cube's discography  (Read 5537 times)

D-Nice

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I Made Jesus Walks/So I Ain't Never Going To Hell
Re: Revisited Ice Cube's discography
« Reply #45 on: January 13, 2009, 10:14:18 PM »
But that is the great thing about albums. You can always go back and listen to them and see if you can get that vibe back again from the album or pick up something new. Maybe that will happen with the Peace disc.

West Coast Veteran

« Reply #46 on: January 13, 2009, 10:25:14 PM »
Cube '88-'96 dropped nothing but classic albums and classic movies. I can't think of any other rapper that had a better run than Cube in those years.

Music:
Straight Outta Compton
AmeriKKKa's Most Wanted
Kill At Will EP
Death Certificate
The Predator
Lethal Injection
Bow Down

Movies:
Boyz N The Hood
Friday

D-Nice

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I Made Jesus Walks/So I Ain't Never Going To Hell
« Reply #47 on: January 13, 2009, 10:50:11 PM »
I will probably bump the Peace disc next. Not one of my fav Cube albums just from the simple fact that it seems thrown together and he did not follow the original format of content and subject matter that he said he would previously for the album. Still a good party record here and there.

Just went trough the Peace disc....
..and I only liked two tracks  :o (Hello and Record Company Pimpin')

that's funny, cause i feel the same way  :laugh: ;)

:P ;)

Well first he dropped the War disc in 98. (That is one of my favorite Cube albums) Then Peace did not come till 2000, 2001. He was supposed to drop them both in the same year a la DMX at the time so when Peace came out it seemed rushed. And it just seemed like it was We Be Clubbin the album at times. Like I said it had some dope production and has a couple really stand outs tracks, just is not one of my favs from him.

The War disc is a whole lot better... ;) I believe Cube's first plan was a double album.

But that is the great thing about albums. You can always go back and listen to them and see if you can get that vibe back again from the album or pick up something new. Maybe that will happen with the Peace disc.

True.... I've been going trough a gang of old favorites lately;
EPMD,BDP,Schooly D,Biz Markie,Big Daddy Kane,Public Enemy,X-Clan....
Not everything sounds like I remembered  :laugh: :P

I think Cube always wanted to do 2 albums released at different times. I just think with the success of We Be Clubbin, he wanted more of that kind of music on Peace. You Can Do It is a perfect example. So instead of making the Peace disc as he originally intended, as a album full of social commentary and politically charged as he said in a interview, he went the "safe" route and made a album full of party joints.

But yeah the War disc was incredible to me. I don't think it was better than his first 3 or 4 albums but it was a great album. HEAVY Rap-A-Lot influences as NO Joe produced almost half of that album.

Chad Vader

« Reply #48 on: January 13, 2009, 11:09:29 PM »
I will probably bump the Peace disc next. Not one of my fav Cube albums just from the simple fact that it seems thrown together and he did not follow the original format of content and subject matter that he said he would previously for the album. Still a good party record here and there.

Just went trough the Peace disc....
..and I only liked two tracks  :o (Hello and Record Company Pimpin')

that's funny, cause i feel the same way  :laugh: ;)

:P ;)

Well first he dropped the War disc in 98. (That is one of my favorite Cube albums) Then Peace did not come till 2000, 2001. He was supposed to drop them both in the same year a la DMX at the time so when Peace came out it seemed rushed. And it just seemed like it was We Be Clubbin the album at times. Like I said it had some dope production and has a couple really stand outs tracks, just is not one of my favs from him.

The War disc is a whole lot better... ;) I believe Cube's first plan was a double album.

True.... I've been going trough a gang of old favorites lately;
EPMD,BDP,Schooly D,Biz Markie,Big Daddy Kane,Public Enemy,X-Clan....
Not everything sounds like I remembered  :laugh: :P

I think Cube always wanted to do 2 albums released at different times.
I just think with the success of We Be Clubbin, he wanted more of that kind of music on Peace.
You Can Do It is a perfect example. So instead of making the Peace disc as he originally intended, as a album full of social commentary and politically charged as he said in a interview, he went the "safe" route and made a album full of party joints.

That could be  ;)

But yeah the War disc was incredible to me. I don't think it was better than his first 3 or 4 albums but it was a great album. HEAVY Rap-A-Lot influences as NO Joe produced almost half of that album.

I've never rated or ranked Cube's albums before... but we will find out after this thread  ;)

Dre-Day

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • No justice, no peace
« Reply #49 on: January 14, 2009, 09:03:29 AM »

;)
Anyway,how you like that Yomo and Maulkie album?

it's not bad; it has that NWA sound to it  ;)

need to listen some more to make up my mind

Chad Vader

« Reply #50 on: January 14, 2009, 11:12:35 AM »

;)
Anyway,how you like that Yomo and Maulkie album?

it's not bad; it has that NWA sound to it  ;)

need to listen some more to make up my mind

True... but without cursing  :laugh:. Yella did a great job behind the boards  ;)

Chad Vader

« Reply #51 on: January 14, 2009, 09:07:17 PM »
yo Chad, you should recheck Cube's first album  ;)

OK,here you go;  ;)

1. Better Off Dead -
Produced by Ice Cube, Sir Jinx & E. Sadler

Intro; No rating

2. The Nigga Ya Love To Hate -
Produced by The Bomb Squad
Co-Produced by Ice Cube & Sir Jinx
*background vocals by Dan Wood*

4/5

3. AmeriKKKa's Most Wanted -
*background vocals by Sir Jinx & J. Dee*

2/5

4. What They HIttin' Foe -
*background vocals by The Lench Mob*

2/5

5. You Cant Fade Me -

3/5

6. JD's Gaffilin' -

Skit; No rating

7. Once Upon A Time In The Projects -
Produced by Sir Jinx
Co-Produced by The Bomb Squad
*background vocals by Shannon, Jackie Parmer*

3.5/5

8. Turn Off The Radio -
*background vocals by Ricky Harris, D.E.L., T-Bone & The Lench Mob*

5/5

9. Endangerered Species (Tales From The Darkside) -
*background vocals by The Lench Mob & The Bomb Squad*

4/5

10. A Gangsta's Fairytale -
Produced by Ice Cube, Sir Jinx & E. Adler
*background vocals by Dan Wood, Son Of Berserk, Lil Les, Krissta*

2/5

11. I'm Only Out For One Thang (featuring Flava Flav) -
Produced by Sir Jinx & Ice Cube

1/5

12. Get Off My Dick And Tell Yo Bitch To Come Here -

3/5

13. The Drive-by -
Produced by Sir Jinx

Skit; No rating

14. Rollin' Wit The Lench Mob -
Produced by The Bombsquad
*background vocals by J.Dee, T-Bone, Sir Jinx, *

3/5

15. Whos The Mack? -
Produced by Sir Jinx & The Bomb Squad
*background vocals by Son Of Berserker*

5/5

16. Its A Man's World (featuring Yo-Yo) -
Produced by Sir Jinx & Ice Cube

2/5

17. The Bomb -
Produced by Sir Jinx
*background vocals by J.Dee, T-Bone, Ricky Harris*

2/5

Overall Conclusion;
Didn't really like the album when it dropped,and don't like it now,it's not bad... but you know... can't like everything.  :P ;)
Overall Rating;
3/5

Al Bundy

« Reply #52 on: January 15, 2009, 01:11:13 AM »

Overall Conclusion;
Didn't really like the album when it dropped,and don't like it now,it's not bad... but you know... can't like everything.  :P ;)
Overall Rating;
3/5

Ouch. I consider that shit classic especially the remastered version that puts Kill At Will tracks on the tracklist.

Dre-Day

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • No justice, no peace
« Reply #53 on: January 15, 2009, 01:17:52 AM »

Overall Conclusion;
Overall Rating;
3/5

ah, too bad you didn't like the track that has the same title as the album and the bomb.
i like these 2 uptempo beats and Cube killed it  ;)

but overall, it's safe to say that you like the album more than you did when it just came out  :)

Chad Vader

« Reply #54 on: January 15, 2009, 01:25:56 AM »

Overall Conclusion;
Overall Rating;
3/5

Ouch. I consider that shit classic especially the remastered version that puts Kill At Will tracks on the tracklist.

It's considered a overall classic (by media and fans)... but for me personally,I never really liked it  :P ;)

Overall Conclusion;
Overall Rating;
3/5

ah, too bad you didn't like the track that has the same title as the album and the bomb.
i like these 2 up tempo beats and Cube killed it  ;)

but overall, it's safe to say that you like the album more than you did when it just came out  :)

Maybe....  :P

Furor Teutonicus

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • aka Dr. Jan Itor
« Reply #55 on: January 15, 2009, 01:46:36 AM »
lol @ the review of Leathal Injection with the title "Ice Cube goes pop" Seems like the reviewer has no idea of (westcoast)rap.

Dre-Day

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • No justice, no peace
« Reply #56 on: January 15, 2009, 01:47:49 AM »

Overall Conclusion;
Overall Rating;
3/5

well i like it more than the predator, but Death Certificate and Lethal Injection are better than Cube first album to me.

on a side note, i don't even know if Lethal Injection is my favourite Cube album anymore.
with the bonus tracks, it could be a challenge for Death Certificate, but without them, Death Certificate takes the crown.
it's the hardest Cube album and some of the productions grew on me

Chad Vader

« Reply #57 on: January 15, 2009, 01:57:37 AM »

Overall Conclusion;
Overall Rating;
3/5

well i like it more than the predator, but Death Certificate and Lethal Injection are better than Cube first album to me.

on a side note, i don't even know if Lethal Injection is my favourite Cube album anymore.
with the bonus tracks, it could be a challenge for Death Certificate, but without them, Death Certificate takes the crown.
it's the hardest Cube album and some of the productions grew on me

I'll get to Predator and Lethal Injection later....

But so far I got;
-Amerikkkas Most Wanted; 3/5
-Kill At Will; 3/5
-Death Certificate; 5/5
-The Peace Disc; 1.5/5
-Raw Footage; 3.5/5

Furor Teutonicus

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • aka Dr. Jan Itor
« Reply #58 on: January 15, 2009, 02:08:35 AM »
I would rate Death Certificate above AMW, but how can you give AMW only 3/5 as a Cube fan?  ;)

Predator is a cool album, I don't know why, but I bumped AMW, DC and Lethal Injection alot more. 
When I look at the critics, Lethal Injection got mostly negative reviews, while most of his fans like it (including me). I think it didn't reinvent the wheel, the subject matter was the same (except for When I get to heaven maybe-I love this track), and he imitated Dre's G-Funk sound that was so dominant at that time, but I think the experiment succeeded and the funky, melodic G-Funk fit together with Cube's aggressive style.

UKnowWhatItIs: welcome to my traps....game over

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #59 on: January 15, 2009, 05:28:50 AM »
Wow Chad, I'm surprised you gave Cube's first CD such a low rating & you gave "The Nigga Ya Love To Hate" a 4??? Damn, check out the 3:30 point of the vid below. I hope it makes you appreciate the song alot more. It sounds more up to date.
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/So5qK4-oeKg&amp;hl=en&amp;fs=1" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/So5qK4-oeKg&amp;hl=en&amp;fs=1</a>
« Last Edit: January 15, 2009, 05:31:44 AM by UKnowWhatItIs »