Author Topic: Death Row sold for 18 million to Canadian label  (Read 495 times)

Zeus

• 'G'
  • I'm a llama!
Death Row sold for 18 million to Canadian label
« on: January 16, 2009, 08:04:33 AM »
Death Row Assets Auctioned For $18 Million
January 15, 2009 - RB Hip-Hop

By Mariel Concepcion and Ed Christman, N.Y., and Robert Thompson, Toronto

The assets of Death Row Records, said to include master recordings of Tupac Shakur, Snoop Dogg and Dr. Dre, were auctioned off today (Jan. 15) for $18 million to WIDEawake Entertainment Group, a development company out of Canada. Because of the less-than-expected acquisition price, the only creditor likely to capture a return after lawyers and other Chapter 11 administrative fees are paid is the Internal Revenue Service.

That means other creditors, including unsecured ones like co-founder Lydia Harris, will be left out in the cold. Harris isn't content with the verdict.

"This was all a scam from the beginning," a disgruntled Harris tells Billboard. "Everyone wanted me to bring judgment down, and so I brought on the case. But now I'm not getting paid because I'm an unsecured creditor? Yet, administrators are getting paid and Suge [Knight]'s bills are still getting paid? If it wasn't for me no one would be getting money. They made sure it happened this way because I was the biggest creditor. There must be some internal thing going on and I'm obviously not in on it."

According to Harris, Conquest Media, an online marketing and branding company, made an undisclosed bid today, but the judge overruled it because they didn't put it in on time.

As previously reported, Death Row initially filed for Chapter 11 protection in April 2006, and that July, the California judge overseeing the filing ordered a bankruptcy trustee to take over the label. Along the way, three companies put bids in on Death Row, all three valued at about $25 million, but the first two--stalking horse Warner Music Group and its replacement Koch Entertainment--both pulled out when due diligence showed that inadequate record-keeping made it difficult to ascertain the label's valuation, let alone whether it was worth the $25 million bid both had made.

After that, an investment group called Global Music agreed to buy Death Row in June 2007, but that deal collapsed amid fighting between investors, who ultimately were unable to raise the necessary financing.

Harris battled Knight for years for a share of Death Row and won a $107 million judgment in 2005, which was one of the factors that tipped the label into Chapter 11.

WIDEawake Entertainment Group Inc., based in Toronto, has had nominal exposure to the U.S. market. Lara Lavi, the company’s founder and CEO, is a lawyer, songwriter and entrepreneur, who founded the company in 2006 to work in a variety of media, including film and music. WIDEawake has distribution in Canada through Universal Music.

Lavi says WIDEawake does not have distribution in the U.S. and has not determined which company it will partner with to distribute the Death Row catalog.

“We have some ideas,” she says, adding the label has been in contact with companies in the U.S. about potential distribution. “We’re very respectful of Death Row’s legacy and when the time is right we’ll announce that.”

Lavi acknowledged there is significant unreleased material included in the deal, including tracks by Shakur, Dr. Dre and others. “There’s probably more that hasn’t seen the light of day than has,” she says. Lavi says announcements on the unreleased material are forthcoming. In the case of the Shakur material, the company will work closely with his estate, Lavi adds.

Lavi would not disclose who WIDEawake’s investors are, other than to say the company has financing to secure the Death Row deal. She says the value of the acquisition makes sense considering, “it is a clear deal. There’s no debt to worry about.” WIDEawake lists its investors as Mississauga, Ont.-based New Solutions Capital.

Lavi says she is unconcerned about any potential involvement of Knight, the label’s co-founder. “He’s moved on,” she says, noting he has started a new label.

For her part, Lydia Harris also recently launched an independent label, Lady Boss Entertainment, which she had planned to continue funding with the money she hoped she'd be awarded in the settlement. Now, Harris says she's looking for investors to "make it what Death Row was supposed to be. I need people who believe in me."

"My head is spinning right now, I feel like a victim," says Harris. "They took all this time and tried to attack me, now there's no money for unsecured creditors. Now I wonder if it was all worth it, but, I'm definitely not giving up. I never thought I would end up with anything. But I'm going to keep pushing."
Best west coast board on the net, sign up

http://WWW.BASEMENT24.PROBOARDS.COM/

2euce 7even

Re: Death Row sold for 18 million to Canadian label
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2009, 10:39:09 AM »
finally sold?
gon they release that unreleased cuts they got?  ???

Jaydc555

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2009, 10:52:59 AM »
I think the whole thing about suge was bullshit the guy moved on.she did get fucked over but I don't feel sorry for her.this is great news and I hope they unleash all the matrisl from the vaults

Elano

Zeus

• 'G'
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2009, 11:16:42 AM »
http://www.dubcnn.com/connect/index.php?topic=206280.0

fuck that, your thread is about the death row auction , this is about the actual sale of death row records. This is about the label not Suges furniture or some old plaques.

The sale deserves its own thread.

Best west coast board on the net, sign up

http://WWW.BASEMENT24.PROBOARDS.COM/

The "Untouchable" DJR

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2009, 04:03:32 PM »
Haha that stupid bitch ain't getting nothing!  8)

~Loyalty Is Everything~

krzieg

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Live 4 Everything Die 4 Nothing
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2009, 04:17:39 PM »
Haha that stupid bitch ain't getting nothing!  8)

hha i never took a liking to her either. these new dudes are lookin to make there 18 mil back and will be releasing that shit. with the right promotion and all that....they can ezily make that back
IT'S STILL..........

H.E.A.T
n'
H.E.A.D

six 1 nine

« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2009, 04:19:10 PM »
i hope those canadian bacons put out 2pac's "the way we wanted to hear it" albums...

8)

Elano

« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2009, 05:21:10 PM »
http://www.dubcnn.com/connect/index.php?topic=206280.0

fuck that, your thread is about the death row auction , this is about the actual sale of death row records. This is about the label not Suges furniture or some old plaques.

The sale deserves its own thread.

you should read what's written in the thread,GENIUS  ::)

love33

« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2009, 10:24:10 AM »
I think those canadian cats are very respectful towards death row, suge knight, and the history/legacy of the company.  It sounds that they are going to try to pony up some money to market this unreleased material and the tupac tracks.  I would hope that they would drop some of the many unreleased albums like og 1995 kurupt's, tha realest, crooked i, top dogg, oftb, hammer, soopafly, etc.  I would also like to see them maybe resign danny boy and drop a new album by him (which could be possible).

As far as lydia goes, I couldn't laugh harder at this money hungry power tripping skeezer that is just tryin to take pride in a free handout of trying to bankrupt the most historical hip hop label of all time.  The only thing she is fighting for is a free handout and I actually think this deal worked out to the best it possibly could in this situation.

Could you imagine if Warner Brothers bought it they would be putting Soulja Boy on Pac remixes? I think this company will package the material the way that it was intended to be.  I expect there will be some remixes and new beats on some material as some of the beats are just completely out of date, but I think they will preserve the tradition a lot better than some of these other labels would have.

Elano

Jaydc555

« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2009, 02:08:43 PM »
They might.or who knows they might put some shitty rappers from their own label on it