Author Topic: Nipsey Hussle Interview!  (Read 2162 times)

Lunatic

Nipsey Hussle Interview!
« on: January 26, 2009, 08:04:55 AM »
http://raptalk.net/website/content/view/1273/54/

Raptalk.Net hooked up with one of the west coast's brightest future stars and the crips answer to The Game, Nipsey Hussle.

We talk about his new street single "Hussle in the House" and the music video for it, as well as his upcoming official single which will feature Sean Kingston and is produced by J.R. Rotem! Stay tuned for that banger...

Nipsey takes Raptalk.Net through memory lane as he openly discusses his life as a youngster growing up in Slauson, California. He tells us how it was back in the neighborhood that he got the name "Nipsey Hussle" and who gave it to him!

We then get into talking about the song, "They Roll" which features The Game. The track saw Nipsey unexpectedly grow a buzz through it, and he tells us how that felt for the song to do what it did without any sort of backing.

We finally get some details on the upcoming debut album from Nipsey, "South Central State of Mind." Nipsey talks his label situation, production, guest appearances and more.

Nipsey owns a lot of his current buzz to his popular mixtape series "Bullets Ain't Got No Name" which has seen two installments be released. Read about when part 3 may be dropping, as well which big-name surprise guests make appearances!

There is a lot more in this interview so take this introduction as a short preview, read the rest of the interview and enjoy...

Raptalk.Net hooked up with one of the west coast's brightest future stars and the crips answer to The Game, Nipsey Hussle.

We talk about his new street single "Hussle in the House" and the music video for it, as well as his upcoming official single which will feature Sean Kingston and is produced by J.R. Rotem! Stay tuned for that banger...

Nipsey takes Raptalk.Net through memory lane as he openly discusses his life as a youngster growing up in Slauson, California. He tells us how it was back in the neighborhood that he got the name "Nipsey Hussle" and who gave it to him!

We then get into talking about the song, "They Roll" which features The Game. The track saw Nipsey unexpectedly grow a buzz through it, and he tells us how that felt for the song to do what it did without any sort of backing.

We finally get some details on the upcoming debut album from Nipsey, "South Central State of Mind." Nipsey talks his label situation, production, guest appearances and more.

Nipsey owns a lot of his current buzz to his popular mixtape series "Bullets Ain't Got No Name" which has seen two installments be released. Read about when part 3 may be dropping, as well which big-name surprise guests make appearances!

There is a lot more in this interview so take this introduction as a short preview, read the rest of the interview and enjoy...

Raptalk.Net: We are here with one of the west coast’s brightest future stars, Nipsey Hussle! Let everybody know how you’re doing.

Nipsey Hussle: Everything is gravy my nigga! Everything is looking good right now. I have the mixtapes hitting the streets real heavy and the album is coming soon in ’09! Shit is looking good. The first single hit the radio, “Hussle in the House.” We just shot the video and it’ll be on BET next week. Everything is looking good right now.

Raptalk.Net: That is good to hear! So “Hussle in the House” is officially the first single off the album?

Nipsey Hussle: Yeah that’s the first street single. We have another single that J.R. Rotem produced featuring Sean Kingston that we’re gonna’ put out in the next 2-3 weeks. That’s the official first one, “Hussle in the House.”

Raptalk.Net: Did the joint with Sean Kingston leak yet?

Nipsey Hussle: Nah, it hasn’t come out yet.

Raptalk.Net: Ok. And the “Hussle in the House” video will be airing on BET, MTV and so on?

Nipsey Hussle: Yeah, it’s going to come out in MTV2, BET. We’re going to premiere it on WorldStarHipHop. It’s going to be on all the online outlets. It’s going to be everywhere.

Raptalk.Net: That is a good thing to hear. Congratulations on that.

Nipsey Hussle: For sure, I appreciate that homie.

Raptalk.Net: We’re going to dip into the past a little bit. Tell us how life was like growing up in Slauson?

Nipsey Hussle: I mean shit, you know! It was a little better than some, a little worse than others, you feel me? To sum it up. It was a normal childhood, getting into shit. Growing up, there was a lot of everything going on; obviously the gangbanging shit, I’m from L.A. there was a lot of motherfucking…everybody was doing their stuff to keep money and survive. Other than that, it was a natural childhood. My mom brought me up and all that. It was what it was.

Raptalk.Net: No doubt. Where did you get the name Nipsey Hussle from?

Nipsey Hussle: My homeboy baby goose gave me that name! He was joking one day and threw that at me about my swag. I came to the studio with seven grams of Kush and a bucket of chicken. I was a youngin’ everybody in there was doing badly and he just threw that at me. He was joking and that shit kind of stuck.

Raptalk.Net: Ok. You’re talking about pushing the “Hussle in the House” single, what about “They Roll” featuring The Game?

Nipsey Hussle: That was sort of like a set-up record. We dropped that in the summer of 2008. It was just really for the streets. Certain DJ’s and radio started spinning it, it started picking up; it kind of made it like a first single. But nobody really put a push into it, the label just got it. DJ Skee and Felli Fel got it and started playing it. That shit blew up. It went crazy on the internet. Motherfuckers started it everywhere. The streets kind of demanded that as a first single but that wasn’t official, the label wasn’t really behind it. It just kind of leaked. That’s why people where asking me where the video is to it. The track got out without any type of game plan behind it. The label just let it do what it did through the song.

Raptalk.Net: Well even though there was no push for it, it must have been a blessing a blessing to see the success it brought in.

Nipsey Hussle: Yeah, no question! People love that record. Motherfuckers really took to that song. That was a blessing homie.

Raptalk.Net: No doubt. What are your thoughts on The Game going public saying you’re the next artist to blow from the west?

Nipsey Hussle: That’s another blessing. I couldn’t ask for that. That’s how he was feeling. I salute dude for that and I respect him off top. That was a good look though. Millions of motherfuckers heard that. That’s a respected artist already holding the crown. It’s a cool co-sign.

Raptalk.Net: What’s the label situation like right now? Who is distributing the album?

Nipsey Hussle: The album is coming out on Epic. Basically the company that has a joint venture with Epic on my project is called Cinematic. That’s run by John Shapiro. My team is involved with my project too, my company called All Money In; Also my management, Steve Lobel. That is coming out summer 2009. The album is called “South Central State of Mind.” Basically it’s the hottest records we have. Everybody knows about the mixtapes but I feel like the album is much better than the mixtape material by far. The same people that really love and take to the music on the mixtapes like that, make a motherfucker think that this shit gonna’ be real successful.

Raptalk.Net: No doubt about that. How much percent of the album is done right about now?

Nipsey Hussle: We done with it man. I’m trying to top everything obviously. I feel like my best music is in front of me. I’m working everyday to top what I got but it’s done; the shit is a wrap.

Raptalk.Net: That’s good to hear! What kind of production do you have on it?

Nipsey Hussle: I didn’t go with the who’s who in Hip-Hop right now. I have a couple of niggaz on there. I have JR Rotem, Scott Storch, Mr. Lee who did a lot of Bun B shit, he’s from Houston. I have an in-house team that has been doing music with me since day one. I didn’t really wanna’ switch up my sound besides making it bigger and expanding on it to make it commercially sellable, you feel me? I stuck to my script; all my in-house producers, 1500.

Raptalk.Net: That’s dope to hear. Besides Sean Kingston, what kind of guest appearances do you have?

Nipsey Hussle: We have Sean Kingston and The Game. Producers and song-writers, everything else is really to the neck.

Raptalk.Net: You say you have The Game on there, is that the “They Roll” track?

Nipsey Hussle: Yeah, “They Roll” is going to be on the album for sure.

Raptalk.Net: What’s the title of the track that is coming out with Sean Kingston and what is the subject matter like?

Nipsey Hussle: It’s just the next single. It’s called “That’s Why I Gotta’ Hustle.” It’s basically an up-tempo…I don’t want to call it a club record because it’s really a street record. It’s just a big record. It’s the one that is gonna’ get us to the clubs, get us to the radio. It’s another step, you know? It’s not solely street, gangbang material. You’ll hear it on the radio and in the clubs. It’s basically me doing my thing.

Raptalk.Net: No doubt. What about Nipsey Hussle would you say makes you believe that you can really blow up and be the next big artist on the west coast? The album is done; you have some good production on there and some big guests. But what do you think is it specifically about you which may have you able to be the next big west coast artist?

Nipsey Hussle: It’s a number of things in my opinion. I think my music connects. That’s the thing about a lot of motherfuckers music; that shit doesn’t connect. It doesn’t really connect to the real world. You may sound good on beats and like one of the records but that shit is just music; it doesn’t represent anything or exist in the real world. I think that’s the difference in my music; it’s actually coming from a real place and a real point of view in a world perspective. Motherfuckers can understand and identify with it. Motherfuckers that can’t, they can still recognize the sincerity and connect with it on that level.

Raptalk.Net: I like that answer. Let’s get into the “Bullets Ain’t Got No Name” mixtape series. Explain the motivation behind the title because I feel it’s a powerful one.

Nipsey Hussle: That was like “Bullets Ain’t Got No Name” that’s a true statement – especially in my environment which is in the world. When I started working on the mixtapes even overseas and all that, it’s just a real violent world. It’s real on every level. You look at it from an L.A. perspective, gangbanging. You look at it on a Middle East perspective; ghetto to ghetto, city to city – it’s the same tune. You have niggaz out here shooting, gunning shit down. I was speaking on a condition, you feel me?

Raptalk.Net: I like that. When will Volume 3 be dropping?

Nipsey Hussle: It’s probably going to come out anywhere between February and April.

Raptalk.Net: What artists do you have on there?

Nipsey Hussle: I have Plies on there, Freeway, N.O.R.E, The Slauson Boyz who are my group. I been working a little bit, I’ve been all over navigating in different cities. People respect what I’m doing everywhere I go, they wanna’ get it in. I connected with different niggaz in different cities. But most of the music is gonna’ be to the neck with The Slauson Boyz.

Raptalk.Net: Ok. Can we expect you to do something in the near future with new west artists such as Bishop Lamont or Crooked I?

Nipsey Hussle: There’s a couple of up and coming west dudes that I did shit with. I got songs with Spider Loc. I got songs with K-Boy. Anything is possible. My door isn’t closed for any of these motherfuckers. Dudes get it in. If the shit is hot, we’ll put it out no question.

Raptalk.Net: Are you making a documentary about yourself or will is it some small clips?

Nipsey Hussle: Nah, they’re actually working on a documentary at the same time. It’s going to be tight. We have some interviews from WorldStarHipHop, some videos – it’s going to be some shit from my everyday element; some old school interviews and shit. It’s going to be an overall presentation of who I am.

Raptalk.Net: Will that be packaged with the album or sold separately?

Nipsey Hussle: Actually I don’t think it’s going to be packaged separately; we’re going to put that out before the album. We have a movement; we did a movie deal, a joint venture with Sony. They’re putting out a movie “Blue Laces”, that’s one of the tracks on my album; a record called “Blue Laces.” We’re doing a movie for that. They’re going to package that with the album so y’all can look forward to that.

Raptalk.Net: Many rappers have claimed that as an artist, you can’t rap and gangbang at the same time. What are your thoughts on that statement?

Nipsey Hussle: That’s the truth. You have to be dedicated to one thing over another. You’re gonna’ give priority to one thing over the other. It’s up to an individual to make a choice. My music sounds the way it sounds for a reason. My shit is about my everyday lifestyle. My shit is starting to change and transcend into something different. You’ll hear that in my music. I’m not saying I’m gonna’ sell out or downgrade my content but at the point of time where everybody was like “Bullets Ain’t Got No Name” certain shit people say is over the top, too violent or too gangbanged out; a lot of people say that and some motherfuckers recognize that as our everyday reality. They realize that’s really what’s happening. You’re gonna’ lose some people with it but you’re gonna’ gain some motherfuckers with it also.

Raptalk.Net: You were arrested after your first record deal and I imagine that slowed down your grind. How do you separate this business from your everyday life?

Nipsey Hussle: My business is my day to day life now. I have a major record deal. I’m in the studio everyday working. I’m a business man. I’m working on side ventures as far as my company and my production company. We have a film and movie production company as well. I really don’t separate it. My life is my business now. It really got me into the trouble I was getting into. My day to day program is totally different now. I have a more positive direction now.

Raptalk.Net: That is the perfect way to end the interview, thanks a lot for your time Nipsey. Do you have any last words for Raptalk.Net?

Nipsey Hussle: Yeah man! Look out for “Bullets Ain’t Got No Name Vol.3” coming out in a couple months, between February and April. Look out for The Slauson Boyz album coming out on All Money in Records, my label. That is coming out right after my album, probably third quarter 2009. Ofcourse look out for my album, “South Central State of Mind” which is going to be a movement. It’s going to shake up the world like Ali, you feel me? Other than that, stay tuned. We have some good things coming up in ’09.

Read Full Interview Here:
http://raptalk.net/website/content/view/1273/54/
« Last Edit: January 26, 2009, 09:33:18 AM by Rud »
Co-Director of Site Content For Raptalk.Net
Staff Writer For WordOfSouth.Com
Staff Writer For Illuminati2G.Net
Staff Writer For SoPrupRadio.com

David Gutterman

Re: Nipsey Hussle Interview!
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2009, 08:10:42 AM »
Good interview, I've Been Waiting for This

Bullets Ain’t Got No Name Vol.3  8)

Episcop Cruel Cvrle

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2009, 08:13:05 AM »
never heard of this dude, imma check this to see who is this dude. propz for the work luna

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

SLAUGHTERHOUSE PLAYER YOU ALREADY KNOW THO,A PIG IS OUR LOGO, BUT WE AINT THA PO-PO

WWW.DYNASTYENTGROUP.COM    WWW.THEBOSSBOARD.COM

shoo

• Muthafuckin' Double OG
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2009, 09:12:20 AM »
Nipsey Hussle: Everything is gravy my nigga! Everything is looking good right now. I have the mixtapes hitting the streets real heavy and the album is coming soon in ’09! Shit is looking good. The first single hit the radio, “Hussle in the House.” We just shot the video and it’ll be on BET next week. Everything is looking good right now.

that's great news. I've been waiting for this video!

Everybody knows about the mixtapes but I feel like the album is much better than the mixtape material by far. The same people that really love and take to the music on the mixtapes like that, make a motherfucker think that this shit gonna’ be real successful.

Damn! His mixtapes were fuckin insane and now he says his LP material is much better... I hope he is right!
« Last Edit: January 26, 2009, 09:18:19 AM by shoo »

2euce 7even

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2009, 09:20:08 AM »
typical lunatic interview.  8)

MY FIRST LOVE WAS HIP HOP

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2009, 09:31:13 AM »
props luna, glad to see some of my questions made it! good interview

Paul

« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2009, 10:57:37 AM »
Propsman, cannot fuckin wait for south central state of mind
funkyfreshintheflesh

BigEEE

• 'G'
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2009, 11:02:38 AM »
Nice interview. Video on BET? sounds dope.

Neimanmarcus9

• Muthafuckin' OG
  • www.dipinthemix.com "For the People by the People"
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2009, 11:28:39 AM »
Looking forward to the album, every track on both mixtapes go so if his album is better than the mixtape...man...ya'll weak niggaz take a breather...take a break and chill and learn from one of the West Coast's finest! Nipsey Hussle...Hussle in the Hoooouse! Great interview! Yup..
#1 I am a REAL PERSON. #2 Book Trailer  () "Kalifornia LUV" written by my uncle 'Spud' is in stores now w/ me on the cover. I'm a Student, Music Junkie, that LUVz to surf online. Check out my website (www.dipinthemix.com) if you have quality music or Hip Hop news, get @ me via PM so we can network. Thank You, Neiman Marcus. #fuckhaterzget$

J.E.

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2009, 12:51:55 PM »
good interview, sounds like the album is gonna be dope... can't wait!

yeapp

• Muthafuckin' Double OG
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2009, 01:14:06 PM »
will have to prove it yes

penenstamp

« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2009, 01:17:40 PM »
I have the two mixtapes mentioned in that interview, but never bothered to listen to them as they have 3(!) DJ's on 'em. The only two songs I checked from him are "Smoke Another Day" and "Hussle In The House" and both are really tight :)

Does Nipsey Hussle have any other untagged music? Or is he one of those artists we have to stop to support?

J.E.

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2009, 01:28:57 PM »
I have the two mixtapes mentioned in that interview, but never bothered to listen to them as they have 3(!) DJ's on 'em. The only two songs I checked from him are "Smoke Another Day" and "Hussle In The House" and both are really tight :)

Does Nipsey Hussle have any other untagged music? Or is he one of those artists we have to stop to support?

::) ::) You're pretty weird... why would you stop supporting artist because of tagged mixtape songs?

But:

Nipsey Hussle - All Money In feat. June Summers[untagged/no dj's or none of that]

http://www.zshare.net/audio/2008585433f3b84b/

penenstamp

« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2009, 01:51:19 PM »

::) ::) You're pretty weird... why would you stop supporting artist because of tagged mixtape songs?

I don't want to support artists that don't support the art of music.

But:

Nipsey Hussle - All Money In feat. June Summers[untagged/no dj's or none of that]

http://www.zshare.net/audio/2008585433f3b84b/

Thanks.

This is not bad. :)
« Last Edit: January 26, 2009, 01:55:08 PM by R.T.R.N.R. »

Lunatic

« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2009, 04:03:30 PM »
keep the feedback coming!
Co-Director of Site Content For Raptalk.Net
Staff Writer For WordOfSouth.Com
Staff Writer For Illuminati2G.Net
Staff Writer For SoPrupRadio.com