Author Topic: Rakim Blames New York For Hip-Hopís Dying State  (Read 735 times)

you gon always be my latin queen bitch

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Offline Offline
Rakim Blames New York For Hip-Hopís Dying State
« on: February 01, 2009, 10:58:47 AM »
Rakim, one of the legends of Hip-Hop, has attributed the lack of balance and possible death on Hip-Hop to his hometown of New York.

Rakim made the proclamation about New York in an interview with Jenny Boom Boom of Hot 93.7 in Connecticut.

ďThere is a certain realm of Hip-Hop [that is missing] and you might have to blame that on New York,Ē Rakim said. ďNew York is responsible for bringing that raw, that real gritty Hip-Hop, because we originated it.Ē

He said there was hope, if the region got back to the staple sound that hit its zenith in the 80ís and 90ís.

ďNew York and the East Coast, we gotta represent and do our part. And itís OK for everybody else to do what they do. Then it will be a balance and everybodyíll be happy.Ē

Nevertheless, the pioneering rap artist remained optimistic about the future for the genre.

ďIím feeling good [and] optimistic and Iím hoping people understand that power that Hip-Hop got. I hope everybody understands the time we in right now, and I hope everybody wanna make some good music and keep Hip-Hop alive.Ē

Rakim was hard pressed to pinpoint a savior to return rap to the Golden Era, but he said that it could happen through a unified movement.
damn u still havent logged off...ur hurting everyone with all this wack shit u drop, it hurts more then getting the swine flu
Tue, Mar 16, 2010 at 8:15 AM By: Ice Cube
Me and Mack 10 together again? I never say never, but he has the kiss the ring first.
Cube
gbee:@ Petey: you sound like a broken record, time to grow up.

KURUPTION-81

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Offline Offline
Re: Rakim Blames New York For Hip-Hopís Dying State
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2009, 11:03:40 AM »
New York doesnt seem to have anything at the moment. They need to go back to that grimey sound and stop trying to crack the mainstream, reclaim the crown and then worry about sales.

"My greatest challenge is not what's happening at the moment, my greatest challenge was knocking Liverpool right off their fucking perch. And you can print that." Alex Ferguson

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2009, 11:05:33 AM »
real talk.  fuck that ron browz da fuck his name is typa shit jumpin out the window
get the fuck outta wit that shit

jim jones aint doin it!!!

50 cent got good muzik cuz of his connections and hes serious wit it!!1

hes not the best but hes far from the worst and much better than jimmy!!!!

New York doesnt seem to have anything at the moment. They need to go back to that grimey sound and stop trying to crack the mainstream, reclaim the crown and then worry about sales.

damn u still havent logged off...ur hurting everyone with all this wack shit u drop, it hurts more then getting the swine flu
Me and Mack 10 together again? I never say never, but he has the kiss the ring first.
Cube

AlerG

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2009, 11:05:40 AM »
Rakim is one of my fav artists but he's one to talk. The dude hasn't released a new album since 99,

AlerG
Our music video which was featured in the motion picture Scary Movie 5 :

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2009, 11:07:10 AM »
ya feel me?

how the fuck can he talk when he hasnt done shit (in years)
shit so hes part of the problem

Rakim is one of my fav artists but he's one to talk. The dude hasn't released a new album since 99,

AlerG
Cube

NotoriousTDA

« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2009, 11:48:55 AM »
theres been plenty of dope east coast hip-hop coming out lately, i dunno what hes talking about.

MediumL

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2009, 12:11:36 PM »
whos dat girl in ur sig  8) ^
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/DjGVAwyb454" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/DjGVAwyb454</a>

Invincible

« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2009, 12:28:11 PM »

AlerG

Exactly what I was gonna say. Bringing out an album of live versions aint gonna help with only a couple of new tracks on, which weren't even that good.

Chamillitary Click

• Shot Caller
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Offline Offline
  • The greatest entertainer ever.
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2009, 02:57:51 PM »
Nas' album was fuckin DOPE!

i mean, maybe New York isnt doing it the biggest but how is he going to say that pop/snap music isnt the cause for the downfall? ???

D-Nice

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Offline Offline
  • I Made Jesus Walks/So I Ain't Never Going To Hell
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2009, 03:01:53 PM »
theres been plenty of dope east coast hip-hop coming out lately, i dunno what hes talking about.

co sign. I think he means to say without sounding trendy is that there are no billboard charting albums that are out there from the East.

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2009, 03:05:08 PM »
as always you speakin and statin the real shit cham
altho I musy say

THAT ALBUM WIT THEM BANGERS

WORD ON THE STREETS
HIP HOP
ITS NUTHIN

THEM 3 TRAXX AND SOME OTHER SONGS THAT HES RELEASED HAVE BEEN SOME OF THE DOPEST HIP HOP/RAP SONGS TO COME OUT IN THE RAP GAME PERIOD NOT JUS EASTCOAST WISE BUT PERIOD!!

AND THEY SHIT ON ANYTHING JIMMY HAS DONE IN HIS ENTIRE CAREER!!!!

MAYBE HE DONT WANT TO GO WAR WIT WAYNE, IN SAYIN HE LIKES WHAT WANYES DOIN

Nas' album was fuckin DOPE!

i mean, maybe New York isnt doing it the biggest but how is he going to say that pop/snap music isnt the cause for the downfall? ???
Cube

• Muthafuckin' OG
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2009, 04:15:07 PM »
New York and East Coast are tight and yes their game should step up but so should the west coast and the south.  This won't address the biased music industry particular how the radio djs work.  If they actually played a diversity of music (shouldn't matter if your independent or signed) which they fail to do then most folks wouldn't be preaching hip-hop is dead.  Due to the focus on a particular style of southern music people are complaining.

Talented east coast/new york cats (not in order)::

Slaughterhouse (joell orrtiz, budden)
Immortal Technique
Reks
Terminology
Saigon
Papoose
Nas
Jay-Z
50 Cent (hate if you want but his music is consistent)
Lloyd banks (hate if you want but he knows how to spit)
Hasan Salaam
N.Y.Oil
Styles P
Pharaoh Monche
Jadakiss
Santogold

The-Leak (aka) kingwell (bka) JULES

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Offline Offline
  • ~TWITTER.COM/ITZJULES

• Muthafuckin' OG
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2009, 05:01:23 PM »
And, he doesn't say hip-hop is in a dying state - more that a style of hip-hop from the east coast is

dubsmith_nz

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2009, 05:22:36 PM »
G Units last album was pretty much straight up raw New York hip hop, thats why the shit didnt sell. People needa give credit, G Unit have always made New York hip hop, even Premier bigged up 50 hard for keeping it 100...

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Offline Offline
  • ~TWITTER.COM/ITZJULES
Re: Rakim Blames New York For Hip-Hop’s Dying State
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2009, 05:49:32 PM »
Fuck that, did you listen to G-Unit's last album?  The  material on that album was generic as fuck... No substance.  NY HipHop to me is SUBSTANCE.  The Real NY HipHop artists know how to keep it real.

ANYWAYS, SINGLE IN 2 MONTHS?!?!  He says that every interview, but let's hope!!

dameons

« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2009, 06:14:43 PM »
Rap is dying bcuz it is very uncreative nowadays. It's had a very nice run the past 20 years , but , the south has taken over and they are cheapening and watering down the artform with that bubblegum garbage they put out. It has lost its luster bigtime.

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2009, 06:21:49 PM »
STR8 UP
LIKE SAID IN THE OTHER THREAD
JEEZY
RAWSE
T.I.
THEM CATS ARE KILLIN IT

Rap is dying bcuz it is very uncreative nowadays. It's had a very nice run the past 20 years , but , the south has taken over and they are cheapening and watering down the artform with that bubblegum garbage they put out. It has lost its luster bigtime.
Cube

D-Nice

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2009, 08:19:26 PM »

To be honest there are quite a few east coast mcs that have a little bit indentity crisis when it comes to music also. Mims rings a bell. For every bubblegum artist on any coast out there making music there are that many if not more not doing it. It is just that the fans and these record labels do not want to hear nor promote it.

dubsmith_nz

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #19 on: February 01, 2009, 08:50:07 PM »
Fuck that, did you listen to G-Unit's last album?  The  material on that album was generic as fuck... No substance.  NY HipHop to me is SUBSTANCE.  The Real NY HipHop artists know how to keep it real.

You serious? Heapsa classic NYC albums lack any real substance, Biggie, Wu Tang, Big L, all on the same sorta shit, doesnt take away from the music though. New York rap is grimey battle rap, not concious substance bullshit.

D-Nice

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #20 on: February 01, 2009, 09:06:26 PM »

You serious? Heapsa classic NYC albums lack any real substance, Biggie, Wu Tang, Big L, all on the same sorta shit, doesnt take away from the music though. New York rap is grimey battle rap, not concious substance bullshit.

Nas, Killah Priest, Pete Rock, even Jay-Z at times got substance in they music. Gangstarr, Tribe, De La Soul, the list goes on and on.

• Muthafuckin' OG
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #21 on: February 01, 2009, 09:50:17 PM »

Nas, Killah Priest, Pete Rock, even Jay-Z at times got substance in they music. Gangstarr, Tribe, De La Soul, the list goes on and on.

If all rap was conscious substance I'd stop listening to rap.  If all rap was gangsta I'd stop listening to rap.  Why?  Because shit would be boring.  The point is there's a legitimate place for each style to exist and thrive. 

50 Cent, Lloyd Banks, and Tony Yayo came into the game as gangsta rappers and have stuck with the image - whether you agree with it or not.  They work it well and have brought consistent material.  Is it mind blowing word play? No.  Is it hot beats, good vocals (exception yayo), and decent lyrics - yes.  Terminate on Sight subject material was only supposed to range from hype music, women/club tracks, money and beef tracks.  They did it rather well.  It's not supposed to be introspective, reflective music.

D-Nice

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #22 on: February 01, 2009, 09:54:43 PM »

If all rap was conscious substance I'd stop listening to rap.  If all rap was gangsta I'd stop listening to rap.  Why?  Because shit would be boring.  The point is there's a legitimate place for each style to exist and thrive. 

50 Cent, Lloyd Banks, and Tony Yayo came into the game as gangsta rappers and have stuck with the image - whether you agree with it or not.  They work it well and have brought consistent material.  Is it mind blowing word play? No.  Is it hot beats, good vocals (exception yayo), and decent lyrics - yes.  Terminate on Sight subject material was only supposed to range from hype music, women/club tracks, money and beef tracks.  They did it rather well.  It's not supposed to be introspective, reflective music.

Good point and the subject matter on Beg For Mercy is not that much different. It is just a better executed album. NY rap has diversity no doubt. Just like other spots in the country it is not out in the mainstream. Not a bad thing persay.

stillinrehab

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #23 on: February 01, 2009, 11:31:50 PM »
I have ALOT of respect for Rakim... STRAIGHT UP LEGEND NO QUESTION... However I hope he isnt gunna be starting with that KRS type talking crazy BS or just like with KRS people will forget the good shit hes done in the past and his legacy will instead be Legend Turned Fruitloop!

He has some validish points BUT I hope this is either some hype for his Seventh Seal or he shuts the fuck up from here on... PEACE  8)

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Offline Offline
  • ~TWITTER.COM/ITZJULES
Re: Rakim Blames New York For Hip-Hop’s Dying State
« Reply #24 on: February 02, 2009, 12:35:25 AM »

Okay here's my point:  For me, N.Y. Rap..  Isn't G-Unit.  If you give me an album with all hype music, women/club tracks, money and beef tracks; I will not call this a real NY rap album.  The album didn't have one real cut.  Even with the all the way gangsta NY rappers like Jadakiss and Biggie, etc.  They always found a way to incorporate pain and emotion into their songs.  (Well some of them).  With the last G-Unit album, there was nothing...