Author Topic: Rakim Blames New York For Hip-Hop’s Dying State  (Read 901 times)

The-Leak (aka) kingwell (bka) JULES

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • ~TWITTER.COM/ITZJULES
Re: Rakim Blames New York For Hip-Hop’s Dying State
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2009, 04:49:32 PM »
Fuck that, did you listen to G-Unit's last album?  The  material on that album was generic as fuck... No substance.  NY HipHop to me is SUBSTANCE.  The Real NY HipHop artists know how to keep it real.

ANYWAYS, SINGLE IN 2 MONTHS?!?!  He says that every interview, but let's hope!!

dameons

« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2009, 05:14:43 PM »
Rap is dying bcuz it is very uncreative nowadays. It's had a very nice run the past 20 years , but , the south has taken over and they are cheapening and watering down the artform with that bubblegum garbage they put out. It has lost its luster bigtime.

you gon always be my latin queen bitch

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2009, 05:21:49 PM »
STR8 UP
LIKE SAID IN THE OTHER THREAD
JEEZY
RAWSE
T.I.
THEM CATS ARE KILLIN IT

Rap is dying bcuz it is very uncreative nowadays. It's had a very nice run the past 20 years , but , the south has taken over and they are cheapening and watering down the artform with that bubblegum garbage they put out. It has lost its luster bigtime.
damn u still havent logged off...ur hurting everyone with all this wack shit u drop, it hurts more then getting the swine flu
Tue, Mar 16, 2010 at 8:15 AM By: Ice Cube
Me and Mack 10 together again? I never say never, but he has the kiss the ring first.
Cube
gbee:@ Petey: you sound like a broken record, time to grow up.

D-Nice

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I Made Jesus Walks/So I Ain't Never Going To Hell
« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2009, 07:19:26 PM »

To be honest there are quite a few east coast mcs that have a little bit indentity crisis when it comes to music also. Mims rings a bell. For every bubblegum artist on any coast out there making music there are that many if not more not doing it. It is just that the fans and these record labels do not want to hear nor promote it.

dubsmith_nz

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #19 on: February 01, 2009, 07:50:07 PM »
Fuck that, did you listen to G-Unit's last album?  The  material on that album was generic as fuck... No substance.  NY HipHop to me is SUBSTANCE.  The Real NY HipHop artists know how to keep it real.

You serious? Heapsa classic NYC albums lack any real substance, Biggie, Wu Tang, Big L, all on the same sorta shit, doesnt take away from the music though. New York rap is grimey battle rap, not concious substance bullshit.

D-Nice

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #20 on: February 01, 2009, 08:06:26 PM »

You serious? Heapsa classic NYC albums lack any real substance, Biggie, Wu Tang, Big L, all on the same sorta shit, doesnt take away from the music though. New York rap is grimey battle rap, not concious substance bullshit.

Nas, Killah Priest, Pete Rock, even Jay-Z at times got substance in they music. Gangstarr, Tribe, De La Soul, the list goes on and on.

• Muthafuckin' OG
« Reply #21 on: February 01, 2009, 08:50:17 PM »

Nas, Killah Priest, Pete Rock, even Jay-Z at times got substance in they music. Gangstarr, Tribe, De La Soul, the list goes on and on.

If all rap was conscious substance I'd stop listening to rap.  If all rap was gangsta I'd stop listening to rap.  Why?  Because shit would be boring.  The point is there's a legitimate place for each style to exist and thrive. 

50 Cent, Lloyd Banks, and Tony Yayo came into the game as gangsta rappers and have stuck with the image - whether you agree with it or not.  They work it well and have brought consistent material.  Is it mind blowing word play? No.  Is it hot beats, good vocals (exception yayo), and decent lyrics - yes.  Terminate on Sight subject material was only supposed to range from hype music, women/club tracks, money and beef tracks.  They did it rather well.  It's not supposed to be introspective, reflective music.

D-Nice

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #22 on: February 01, 2009, 08:54:43 PM »

If all rap was conscious substance I'd stop listening to rap.  If all rap was gangsta I'd stop listening to rap.  Why?  Because shit would be boring.  The point is there's a legitimate place for each style to exist and thrive. 

50 Cent, Lloyd Banks, and Tony Yayo came into the game as gangsta rappers and have stuck with the image - whether you agree with it or not.  They work it well and have brought consistent material.  Is it mind blowing word play? No.  Is it hot beats, good vocals (exception yayo), and decent lyrics - yes.  Terminate on Sight subject material was only supposed to range from hype music, women/club tracks, money and beef tracks.  They did it rather well.  It's not supposed to be introspective, reflective music.

Good point and the subject matter on Beg For Mercy is not that much different. It is just a better executed album. NY rap has diversity no doubt. Just like other spots in the country it is not out in the mainstream. Not a bad thing persay.

stillinrehab

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #23 on: February 01, 2009, 10:31:50 PM »
I have ALOT of respect for Rakim... STRAIGHT UP LEGEND NO QUESTION... However I hope he isnt gunna be starting with that KRS type talking crazy BS or just like with KRS people will forget the good shit hes done in the past and his legacy will instead be Legend Turned Fruitloop!

He has some validish points BUT I hope this is either some hype for his Seventh Seal or he shuts the fuck up from here on... PEACE  8)

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • ~TWITTER.COM/ITZJULES
« Reply #24 on: February 01, 2009, 11:35:25 PM »

Okay here's my point:  For me, N.Y. Rap..  Isn't G-Unit.  If you give me an album with all hype music, women/club tracks, money and beef tracks; I will not call this a real NY rap album.  The album didn't have one real cut.  Even with the all the way gangsta NY rappers like Jadakiss and Biggie, etc.  They always found a way to incorporate pain and emotion into their songs.  (Well some of them).  With the last G-Unit album, there was nothing...

CharlieBrown

• Chillin' Wit Snoopy, eating Peanuts
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • "Dre, the only Dr I know who performs miracles"
« Reply #25 on: February 02, 2009, 03:10:09 AM »
If Rakim released the joint he did with M.O.P then that joint alone would re-address the balance.

Hate it or Love it.
Charlie, lost his life right in front of the party...

• Muthafuckin' OG
« Reply #26 on: February 02, 2009, 06:42:05 AM »

Okay here's my point:  For me, N.Y. Rap..  Isn't G-Unit.  If you give me an album with all hype music, women/club tracks, money and beef tracks; I will not call this a real NY rap album.  The album didn't have one real cut.  Even with the all the way gangsta NY rappers like Jadakiss and Biggie, etc.  They always found a way to incorporate pain and emotion into their songs.  (Well some of them).  With the last G-Unit album, there was nothing...

I just think this is G-Unit's style.  They're not trying to be on some Hate It or Love It joint track.  I understand your issue with G-Unit's releases but I think your mistake is expecting that from them when they don't attempt to be that - at least not as a group or on official releases.  As single artists, both 50 cent and Lloyd Banks have shown different character dimensions.   Personally, I think 50 cent wrote the concept to Hate It or Love It (clearly he didn't write Game's part but he created the concept and wrote his lyrics before Game did) and on recent Lloyd Banks tracks he's been more introspective than usual - Shine Thru is a perfect example.

BiggBoogaBiff

« Reply #27 on: February 02, 2009, 07:01:50 AM »

I just think this is G-Unit's style.  They're not trying to be on some Hate It or Love It joint track.  I understand your issue with G-Unit's releases but I think your mistake is expecting that from them when they don't attempt to be that - at least not as a group or on official releases.  As single artists, both 50 cent and Lloyd Banks have shown different character dimensions.   Personally, I think 50 cent wrote the concept to Hate It or Love It (clearly he didn't write Game's part but he created the concept and wrote his lyrics before Game did) and on recent Lloyd Banks tracks he's been more introspective than usual - Shine Thru is a perfect example.

http://www.tube8.com/anal/down-the-hatch-mia-bangg/92827/   this is wat the haters do all day everyday

It's clear some of ya'll just like to talk just to talk and some of ya'll just don't get it and some of ya'll didn't understand what he was saying.  Who wants to hear depressing "real" tracks all the time, who wants to hear crunk/hyphy tracks all the time, who wants to hear gangsta music all the time, who wants to hear "introspective" tracks all the time, who wants to hear drug money music all the time, who wants to listen to rnb hop all the time, who wants to hear rock hop all the time, who wants to hear retro hip hop all the time, who wants to hear evil hip hop all the time, who wants to hear black power tracks all the time, who wants to hear "i'm gettin fucked up" tracks all the time, and so on.  Broaden your horizons when it comes to music and stop complainin and talkin about nothin new out there is good.  The balance in hip hop is there and it never wasn't (besides on TV/Radio).  Just bcuz 9th Wonder dont get as much shine as Bow Wow do now doesn't mean there's no balance.  Put on some Oldies Soul or some new RnB if you want to switch up, hell check out myspace if u want that Raw.  I understand wat Ra was talkin about.  If you buy an MPC, some turntables, a gang of rare/unpopular/unknown vinyl records, pro tools basic and a microphone(s) to record the samples with and then you'll have that sound he was talking about.

(example)

http://www.vintagesynth.com/akai/mpc1000.jpg
http://www.skratchworx.com/images/Numark/numark5000fx.jpg or http://www.dolphinmusic.co.uk/shop_image/uploads/Image/numark_serato_ns7.jpg or etc
http://vinylrecords.ch/S/SI/Silent-Running/Deep/silent-running-12.jpg
http://www.machinemusik.com/tuition/JPG/PROTOOLS7.jpg with http://www.sweetwater.com/images/items/750/Samplitude10-large.jpg
http://www.e-av.co.uk/products/MICAKG002.gif
http://www.sonicftp.com/news/images/behringer_ddm4000.jpg
http://www.audioblowouts.com/audioimages/CADGXL2200SP.jpg

and a little bit of creativity and inspiration and some real dedication (but have fun) and you to can be with the greats and have that raw gritty sound ya'll complain isn't out there.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2009, 06:38:25 PM by RadioTube! »

dubsmith_nz

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #28 on: February 02, 2009, 03:07:29 PM »

Yup couldnt agree more, but I do agree with what hes saying, "Money Makes The World Go Round" was the only real attempt at introspective, but like point said I dont think they were trying to get introspective at all... Check 50's tracks "Gotta Make It To Heaven", "God Gave Me Style", Banks' "Put Me Under" etc for more introspective tracks. D Blocks album, Wu Tangs groups album, Red and Meths albums have fuck all introspection on them either...

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • ~TWITTER.COM/ITZJULES
« Reply #29 on: February 02, 2009, 04:59:19 PM »

http://www.tube8.com/anal/down-the-hatch-mia-bangg/92827/   this is wat the haters do all day everyday

It's clear some of ya'll just like to talk just to talk and some of ya'll just don't get it and some of ya'll didn't understand what he was saying.  Who wants to hear depressing "real" tracks all the time, who wants to hear crunk/hyphy tracks all the time, who wants to hear gangsta music all the time, who wants to hear "introspective" tracks all the time, who wants to hear drug money music all the time, who wants to listen to rnb hop all the time, who wants to hear rock hop all the time, who wants to hear retro hip hop all the time, who wants to hear evil hip hop all the time, who wants to hear black power tracks all the time, who wants to hear "i'm gettin fucked up" tracks all the time, and so on.  Broaden your horizons when it comes to music and stop complainin and talkin about nothin new out there is good.  The balance in hip hop is there and it never wasn't (besides on TV/Radio).  Just bcuz 9th Wonder dont get as much shine as Bow Wow do now doesn't mean there's no balance.  Put on some Oldies Soul or some new RnB if you want to switch up, hell check out myspace if u want that Raw.  I understand wat Ra was talkin about.  If you dont buy an MPC, some turntables, a gang of rare/unpopular/unknown vinyl records, pro tools basic and a microphone(s) to record the samples with and then you'll have that sound he was talking about.

(example)

http://www.vintagesynth.com/akai/mpc1000.jpg
http://www.skratchworx.com/images/Numark/numark5000fx.jpg or http://www.dolphinmusic.co.uk/shop_image/uploads/Image/numark_serato_ns7.jpg or etc
http://vinylrecords.ch/S/SI/Silent-Running/Deep/silent-running-12.jpg
http://www.machinemusik.com/tuition/JPG/PROTOOLS7.jpg with http://www.sweetwater.com/images/items/750/Samplitude10-large.jpg
http://www.e-av.co.uk/products/MICAKG002.gif
http://www.sonicftp.com/news/images/behringer_ddm4000.jpg
http://www.audioblowouts.com/audioimages/CADGXL2200SP.jpg

and a little bit of creativity and inspiration and some real dedication (but have fun) and you to can be with the greats and have that raw gritty sound ya'll complain isn't out there.

I don't know whose point you're supporting, but good post..  Listen to the Mobb track.  It's gangsta as fuck, but it's still telling a story/lesson, it's still giving giving emotion...  Another example. Nas.  Even his raw cuts, he still incorporates knowledge and pain into the songs..  With G-Unit, it's just like vague raps that don't ever get into something you can relate to..  Now if their subject content was better it might be tolerable, but it's not.  It's the same guns, girls, drugs shit with no depth.  If you wanna rap like that, you gotta do it better..  And Lox/Wu don't have introspective joints?   Jadakiss - Why, Sheek Louch - Mic Check, Jada - Still Feel Me, Styles - Alone in the Streets, All I know is Pain.. Cause I'm Black..  Wu's last album was more introspective than anything they've put out so far...

Banks gets a pass.  But Yayo, 50, and as the group, always come short with variety, versatility, and substance.