Author Topic: Rakim Blames New York For Hip-Hop’s Dying State  (Read 904 times)

you gon always be my latin queen bitch

• Muthafuckin' Don!
Rakim Blames New York For Hip-Hop’s Dying State
« on: February 01, 2009, 09:58:47 AM »
Rakim, one of the legends of Hip-Hop, has attributed the lack of balance and possible death on Hip-Hop to his hometown of New York.

Rakim made the proclamation about New York in an interview with Jenny Boom Boom of Hot 93.7 in Connecticut.

“There is a certain realm of Hip-Hop [that is missing] and you might have to blame that on New York,” Rakim said. “New York is responsible for bringing that raw, that real gritty Hip-Hop, because we originated it.”

He said there was hope, if the region got back to the staple sound that hit its zenith in the 80’s and 90’s.

“New York and the East Coast, we gotta represent and do our part. And it’s OK for everybody else to do what they do. Then it will be a balance and everybody’ll be happy.”

Nevertheless, the pioneering rap artist remained optimistic about the future for the genre.

“I’m feeling good [and] optimistic and I’m hoping people understand that power that Hip-Hop got. I hope everybody understands the time we in right now, and I hope everybody wanna make some good music and keep Hip-Hop alive.”

Rakim was hard pressed to pinpoint a savior to return rap to the Golden Era, but he said that it could happen through a unified movement.
damn u still havent logged off...ur hurting everyone with all this wack shit u drop, it hurts more then getting the swine flu
Tue, Mar 16, 2010 at 8:15 AM By: Ice Cube
Me and Mack 10 together again? I never say never, but he has the kiss the ring first.
Cube
gbee:@ Petey: you sound like a broken record, time to grow up.

KURUPTION-81

Re: Rakim Blames New York For Hip-Hop’s Dying State
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2009, 10:03:40 AM »
New York doesnt seem to have anything at the moment. They need to go back to that grimey sound and stop trying to crack the mainstream, reclaim the crown and then worry about sales.

"My greatest challenge is not what's happening at the moment, my greatest challenge was knocking Liverpool right off their fucking perch. And you can print that." Alex Ferguson

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2009, 10:05:33 AM »
real talk.  fuck that ron browz da fuck his name is typa shit jumpin out the window
get the fuck outta wit that shit

jim jones aint doin it!!!

50 cent got good muzik cuz of his connections and hes serious wit it!!1

hes not the best but hes far from the worst and much better than jimmy!!!!

New York doesnt seem to have anything at the moment. They need to go back to that grimey sound and stop trying to crack the mainstream, reclaim the crown and then worry about sales.

damn u still havent logged off...ur hurting everyone with all this wack shit u drop, it hurts more then getting the swine flu
Me and Mack 10 together again? I never say never, but he has the kiss the ring first.
Cube

AlerG

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2009, 10:05:40 AM »
Rakim is one of my fav artists but he's one to talk. The dude hasn't released a new album since 99,

AlerG
Our music video which was featured in the motion picture Scary Movie 5 :

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2009, 10:07:10 AM »
ya feel me?

how the fuck can he talk when he hasnt done shit (in years)
shit so hes part of the problem

Rakim is one of my fav artists but he's one to talk. The dude hasn't released a new album since 99,

AlerG
Cube

NotoriousTDA

« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2009, 10:48:55 AM »
theres been plenty of dope east coast hip-hop coming out lately, i dunno what hes talking about.

MediumL

« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2009, 11:11:36 AM »
whos dat girl in ur sig  8) ^
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/DjGVAwyb454" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/DjGVAwyb454</a>

Invincible

« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2009, 11:28:11 AM »

AlerG

Exactly what I was gonna say. Bringing out an album of live versions aint gonna help with only a couple of new tracks on, which weren't even that good.

Chamillitary Click

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The greatest entertainer ever.
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2009, 01:57:51 PM »
Nas' album was fuckin DOPE!

i mean, maybe New York isnt doing it the biggest but how is he going to say that pop/snap music isnt the cause for the downfall? ???

D-Nice

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I Made Jesus Walks/So I Ain't Never Going To Hell
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2009, 02:01:53 PM »
theres been plenty of dope east coast hip-hop coming out lately, i dunno what hes talking about.

co sign. I think he means to say without sounding trendy is that there are no billboard charting albums that are out there from the East.

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2009, 02:05:08 PM »
as always you speakin and statin the real shit cham
altho I musy say

THAT ALBUM WIT THEM BANGERS

WORD ON THE STREETS
HIP HOP
ITS NUTHIN

THEM 3 TRAXX AND SOME OTHER SONGS THAT HES RELEASED HAVE BEEN SOME OF THE DOPEST HIP HOP/RAP SONGS TO COME OUT IN THE RAP GAME PERIOD NOT JUS EASTCOAST WISE BUT PERIOD!!

AND THEY SHIT ON ANYTHING JIMMY HAS DONE IN HIS ENTIRE CAREER!!!!

MAYBE HE DONT WANT TO GO WAR WIT WAYNE, IN SAYIN HE LIKES WHAT WANYES DOIN

Nas' album was fuckin DOPE!

i mean, maybe New York isnt doing it the biggest but how is he going to say that pop/snap music isnt the cause for the downfall? ???
Cube

• Muthafuckin' OG
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2009, 03:15:07 PM »
New York and East Coast are tight and yes their game should step up but so should the west coast and the south.  This won't address the biased music industry particular how the radio djs work.  If they actually played a diversity of music (shouldn't matter if your independent or signed) which they fail to do then most folks wouldn't be preaching hip-hop is dead.  Due to the focus on a particular style of southern music people are complaining.

Talented east coast/new york cats (not in order)::

Slaughterhouse (joell orrtiz, budden)
Immortal Technique
Reks
Terminology
Saigon
Papoose
Nas
Jay-Z
50 Cent (hate if you want but his music is consistent)
Lloyd banks (hate if you want but he knows how to spit)
Hasan Salaam
N.Y.Oil
Styles P
Pharaoh Monche
Jadakiss
Santogold

The-Leak (aka) kingwell (bka) JULES

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • ~TWITTER.COM/ITZJULES
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2009, 03:29:23 PM »
LINK:

• Muthafuckin' OG
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2009, 04:01:23 PM »
And, he doesn't say hip-hop is in a dying state - more that a style of hip-hop from the east coast is

dubsmith_nz

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2009, 04:22:36 PM »
G Units last album was pretty much straight up raw New York hip hop, thats why the shit didnt sell. People needa give credit, G Unit have always made New York hip hop, even Premier bigged up 50 hard for keeping it 100...