Author Topic: Rakim Blames New York For Hip-Hop’s Dying State  (Read 902 times)

you gon always be my latin queen bitch

• Muthafuckin' Don!
Re: Rakim Blames New York For Hip-Hop’s Dying State
« Reply #30 on: February 02, 2009, 05:51:55 PM »
BUT DAMN OVERALL PICTURE HERE IS DA FUCK IS RAKIM DOIN?
HE CAN STILL SPIT BUT HES TRYIN FIND A DEAL????
damn u still havent logged off...ur hurting everyone with all this wack shit u drop, it hurts more then getting the swine flu
Tue, Mar 16, 2010 at 8:15 AM By: Ice Cube
Me and Mack 10 together again? I never say never, but he has the kiss the ring first.
Cube
gbee:@ Petey: you sound like a broken record, time to grow up.

dubsmith_nz

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #31 on: February 02, 2009, 05:54:51 PM »
Yo Leak I was talking bout Lox as a group, not their solo shit. Cos it seems that when groups get together the subject matter is less important, I agree with alot of what you're saying though. Damn Wu's last album was wack though

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #32 on: February 02, 2009, 06:15:16 PM »
Ima speak on the last wu album from a aspect of them hypin the album up so much
rza was sayin it was gon be dope as soon as everyone gets their act together etc....
but IMO that album dont seem like it was put together wit 100 input as raekwon was claimin from the jump

especially since it might have been their last.....hopefully it isnt but you know

Yo Leak I was talking bout Lox as a group, not their solo shit. Cos it seems that when groups get together the subject matter is less important, I agree with alot of what you're saying though. Damn Wu's last album was wack though
damn u still havent logged off...ur hurting everyone with all this wack shit u drop, it hurts more then getting the swine flu
Me and Mack 10 together again? I never say never, but he has the kiss the ring first.
Cube

BiggBoogaBiff

« Reply #33 on: February 02, 2009, 06:37:27 PM »
G Unit doesn't hold the whole New York rap scene all alone on their backs, so let's not get all hyphy bcuz G Unit is more popular than Saigon or Joell Ortiz.  And for the record they have a ton of subject matter (ESPECIALLY 50), I'm guessing none of ya'll check out the mixtapes they put out.  Alot of rappers use their "Album" as a commercial display and then use the "Mixtape" as a form of showing off craft in a more Raw way.  Like I've said there's always been a good balance in Hip Hop overall, alot of ya'll just dont know where to look for it.

Artist are super hip that people download more music then they buy, so instead of looking for everything you need on ONE mixtape/album, instead just download what you want on an album and burn it.  There's so much music GUnit has put out over the years that range from all types of subjects.  Download all the concepts/good records that you wanna hear and burn it on one cd and you'll have that Classic you're looking for.

Ridah662

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #34 on: February 02, 2009, 06:52:56 PM »
Rakim Don't Gotta Release Any Mo Shyt & Still Can Talk All The Shyt He Wants Why? Cause Without A Shadow Of A Doubt He's The Greatest Lyricist Of All Time...Also Way Ahead Of His Time Just Like The D.O.C. In Other Words Kiddies Do Yo Research B4 Talkin Caca...

BiggBoogaBiff

« Reply #35 on: February 02, 2009, 06:59:08 PM »
Rakim Don't Gotta Release Any Mo Shyt & Still Can Talk All The Shyt He Wants Why? Cause Without A Shadow Of A Doubt He's The Greatest Lyricist Of All Time...Also Way Ahead Of His Time Just Like The D.O.C. In Other Words Kiddies Do Yo Research B4 Talkin Caca...

That's true in a sense and historically speaking but there's far more artist out (since Ra stepped down) that have been a lyrical beast just like him... Cory Gunz for example, he may not have the mystique like Ra had or even the swagger, but that niggas a fuckin' monster.  Crooked I is anotha example, Beanie Segal, the list goes on- but I understand wat your saying.

• Muthafuckin' OG
« Reply #36 on: February 02, 2009, 07:09:38 PM »
Cory Gunz does his thing but as of this date Rakim is far beyond him.  I don't think it's fair comparing dudes.   When Rakim started to spit that shit was mind blowing.  Rap has evolved so much from Rakim. 

BiggBoogaBiff

« Reply #37 on: February 02, 2009, 07:25:51 PM »
Cory Gunz does his thing but as of this date Rakim is far beyond him.  I don't think it's fair comparing dudes.   When Rakim started to spit that shit was mind blowing.  Rap has evolved so much from Rakim. 

That was point exactly!  But give someone like Gunz or even C. Hamilton some more time in the game and you'll see.  Hip Hop isn't "mind blowing" anymore like it was back in tha day - for the simple fact it was NEW then, but now what is "mind blowing" anymore? Not even Detox can be "mind blowing", Classic - Yes, Mind Blowing... no

« Last Edit: February 02, 2009, 07:35:56 PM by RadioTube! »

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #38 on: February 02, 2009, 07:35:47 PM »
damn realest shit in a minute

Cube

• Muthafuckin' OG
« Reply #39 on: February 02, 2009, 08:30:30 PM »

That was point exactly!  But give someone like Gunz or even C. Hamilton some more time in the game and you'll see.  Hip Hop isn't "mind blowing" anymore like it was back in tha day - for the simple fact it was NEW then, but now what is "mind blowing" anymore? Not even Detox can be "mind blowing", Classic - Yes, Mind Blowing... no

I agree, it's just the curse of any music genre/style as it ages-what was once mind blowing and new is no longer.  There are still steps it can evolve towards but the initial shock reaction, for the most part, is gone.  I do believe there are few outliers that will be exception to the rules.  I think it's possible to be mind blowing but it's got to be the complete package. Plus there's the generational factor.  Once the old school dies off, it'll find a new source of inspiration.

I've mentioned this once or twice in a Dr.Dre Detox relate thread but I think if a dope producer can match classical music over drum patterns similar to what Just Blaze did for the U.S Olympic Basketball team and have a rapper who has bomb ass vocals with quality lyrics rap over it then it'd be another evolution.  It's unfortunate cause I see the elements out there.  Game has amazing vocal ability, unlike most rappers, but terrible lyrics.  If he could be morphed a few fellow artists say like Bishop Lamont/50 Cent/Immortal Technique/Nas then damn that individual would be damn near unstoppable.  If Just Blaze worked with some other big named producers say Dr.Dre, Kanye West, Premier, Alchemists - whomever and master that ochestra formula it'd be pretty sweet.

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #40 on: February 02, 2009, 08:34:51 PM »
yeah when i heard that shit and then seen him actually make that shit
SHIT WAS DOPE AS FUCK!!!!
AND THAT SHIT NEVER GETS OLD!!!

I agree, it's just the curse of any music genre/style as it ages-what was once mind blowing and new is no longer.  There are still steps it can evolve towards but the initial shock reaction, for the most part, is gone.  I do believe there are few outliers that will be exception to the rules.  I think it's possible to be mind blowing but it's got to be the complete package. Plus there's the generational factor.  Once the old school dies off, it'll find a new source of inspiration.

I've mentioned this once or twice in a Dr.Dre Detox relate thread but I think if a dope producer can match classical music over drum patterns similar to what Just Blaze did for the U.S Olympic Basketball team and have a rapper who has bomb ass vocals with quality lyrics rap over it then it'd be another evolution.  It's unfortunate cause I see the elements out there.  Game has amazing vocal ability, unlike most rappers, but terrible lyrics.  If he could be morphed a few fellow artists say like Bishop Lamont/50 Cent/Immortal Technique/Nas then damn that individual would be damn near unstoppable.  If Just Blaze worked with some other big named producers say Dr.Dre, Kanye West, Premier, Alchemists - whomever and master that ochestra formula it'd be pretty sweet.
Cube

The-Leak (aka) kingwell (bka) JULES

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • ~TWITTER.COM/ITZJULES
« Reply #41 on: February 02, 2009, 09:41:57 PM »

Yeah, you're right.. lol.  Can't argue there..

J.E.

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #42 on: February 03, 2009, 07:11:38 AM »
Nas' album was fuckin DOPE!

i mean, maybe New York isnt doing it the biggest but how is he going to say that pop/snap music isnt the cause for the downfall? ???

co-sign  8) album of the year

And since Raekwon is finally releasing that OB4CL 2 this year, it doesn't look too bad for NY.

• Muthafuckin' OG
« Reply #43 on: February 03, 2009, 12:01:56 PM »
Somebody is always shouting out that hip-hop/rap is dead.  Same assholes did it when the west coast got big.   Not that I think Nas is an ashole or anything, I'm a big fan of his music.