Author Topic: Springsteen's Halftime Show  (Read 755 times)

Chamillitary Click

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The greatest entertainer ever.
Re: Springsteen's Halftime Show
« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2009, 05:17:17 PM »
who even watches the halftime show?

lord knows I took a 20 minute break from the TV

no need to see back-to-back-to-back advertisements
i was happy to watch the commericals, some where pretty dope

like Pepsuber (love that skit from SNL) <----great commercial

& the E-Trade baby commercial, when is golfing. :laugh:

good shit. ;) 8)

OchoCinco

« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2009, 05:19:01 PM »
Im not a fan of "the boss" but it was a good performance. Although I dont think he could top the performance PRINCE put on last year.
Prince was 2 years ago, don't remember who was last year, maybe Paul McCartney?

it was tom petty

Chamillitary Click

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The greatest entertainer ever.
« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2009, 05:21:07 PM »
Im not a fan of "the boss" but it was a good performance. Although I dont think he could top the performance PRINCE put on last year.
Prince was 2 years ago, don't remember who was last year, maybe Paul McCartney?

it was tom petty

yeah, thats his fucking name! i forgot that shit lol. :stupid:

white Boy

• The totally random poster
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • http://bigbowlofsoup.tumblr.com/
« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2009, 05:22:21 PM »
yea i never watched the petty, usally halftime is when i relocate, or go on a beer food  or weed run, etc.

BiggBoogaBiff

No
« Reply #19 on: February 02, 2009, 07:22:14 PM »
I was trying to find a way to get into Bruce since he's so legendary but I just couldn't do it, I feel it was too lame- Bruce is past his prime when it comes to doing shows/events like these.  If you ask me I'd say so is Stevie Wonder and alot of older artist.  It just didn't fit in with what's hot or even relevant in 2009.  2009 shouldn't belong to any older generation artist (not even Dr. Dre - even though I'm shitting in my pants waiting for Detox).  Since it was a caucasian event (every commercial was white even though 85% of the NFL is Black and the crowd was so colorful that night lol) they should've had someone like Kid Rock do the show or even Marylin Manson hell even Madonna would've been a more decent showcase (shitty but more decent than Springsteen).  I think the old corporate folks just did what they wanted to do and not really considered what other people would've rather of seen instead.

« Last Edit: February 02, 2009, 07:37:44 PM by RadioTube! »

Shallow

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I never had a digital pic of myself before
Re: No
« Reply #20 on: February 02, 2009, 07:39:54 PM »
I was trying to find a way to get into Bruce since he's so legendary but I just couldn't do it, I feel it was too lame- Bruce is past his prime when it comes to doing shows/events like these.  If you ask me I'd say so is Stevie Wonder and alot of older artist.  It just didn't fit in with what was hot or even relevant in 2009.  2009 shouldn't belong to any older generation artist (not even Dr. Dre - even though I'm shitting in my pants waiting for Detox).  Since it was a caucasian event (every commercial was white even though 85% of the NFL is Black and the crowd was so colorful that night lol) they should've had someone like Kid Rock do the show or even Marylin Manson hell even Madonna would've been a more decent showcase (shitty but more decent than Springsteen).  I think the old corporate folks just did what they wanted to do and not really considered what other people would've rather of seen instead.

I don't know. Bruce had been asked since '85 and he may as well have done it at least once. He's still the top touring act in the world every time he goes on big tours, and he usually gets voted the best touring act by a lot of credible concert going publications.

Not sure how I Wayne would fare with an American football crowd, but fyi The Wailers first shows in the US were playing on sets with BRuce back in the early 70s in New York clubs. Bruce was a big fan. He'd also play with Jimmy Cliff every now and then.

^ i just thought he was goofy, dont dislike him, or have any reason for any feel any certain way, but thats is what it is, and i dont watch sopranos, but lookin at pics, wow, i almost didnt recognize,

but thanks for the album info, im still at the tip of the iceberg with bruce esp with post 80s stuff, but ill def eventually give full proper listens to all his stuff, im currently in love with open all night, also wat did you think of the inauguration performance of the rising, i like the dynamic of bruce with solo guitar and the entire choir

He was goofy. Usually is. That's why I love him. Usually "It's Boss Time" gets followed by a great Bruce guitar solo. Guess they didn't have the time.

I thought the Obama thing was okay. Didn't blow me away or anything.

Have you heard the Seeger Session Open All Night? Very different take on it, but a fun one.

I thought it was pretty cool.  I wouldn't know where to start with his music though, it seems that people enjoy his new stuff as much as they enjoy his older albums. 

You start with the Born to Run album and a lyric sheet and you imagine a summer evening about to become night. Then you listen once more with out the lyric sheet in the dark and let Bruce tell the story and then you'll know if he's for you or not. If you see the movie play out in your mind as you listen then you get it. If you don't then you don't get it. Which is fine by the way. It's not like not getting Springsteen and getting Springsteen are matters of intelligence or credibility. I don't get Miles Davis (yet) but I'd never question his genius.

After Born to Run you listen to Darkness On The Edge of Town, and then the River to finish the story. Then I have this great Bootleg from 78 that is a must have if you like other stuff I mentioned.

I love the new stuff but his old stuff blows that out of the water. It's like the Godfather. As a stand a lone film part 3 is pretty solid compared to films of it's time, but compared to 1 and 2?

who even watches the halftime show?

lord knows I took a 20 minute break from the TV

no need to see back-to-back-to-back advertisements

Quite a lot of people do. Remember that usually the Superbowl audience is like three times as big as the audiences for the NFC and AFC Championship games. So we're talking about a lot of non-football fans who like the spectacle, and the halftime and commercials are a part of that.

white Boy

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #21 on: February 02, 2009, 07:51:43 PM »
^ ive come to accept that a lot of his stuff i have to listen 1st with a lyric sheet to get the full effect, only then will i be able to know all the lyrics afterwards, sometimes wether his voice or the music, i just feel like im not getting it all, (mostly his songs with a full ensamble). as for miles, that opening track of kind of blue got me in love, but theres a def kind of mood i gotta be in to just sit around and listen to jazz, or drive around, and i hate using it as background music cause all the elements are so amazing

as for the type of music for halftime shows, i feel like you gotta do classy older stuff like stevie, petty, mccartney, bruce... i cant imagine if this halftime show was ( lil wayne, ne-yo, ti, rihanna, and the jonas brothers (random artists im not big on the current popular scene) i think in the overall effect less people would be happy, cause i think anyone over 40 likes the classic artists, and a lot of people 25-40, as opposed to the popular artists today, its not the superbowl halftimes shows job to be relevant to 09, but to be relevant to the audience, and also to the people with the $, not 17 year old schoolgirls and wiggers...

Shallow

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #22 on: February 02, 2009, 08:09:50 PM »
^ ive come to accept that a lot of his stuff i have to listen 1st with a lyric sheet to get the full effect, only then will i be able to know all the lyrics afterwards, sometimes wether his voice or the music, i just feel like im not getting it all, (mostly his songs with a full ensamble). as for miles, that opening track of kind of blue got me in love, but theres a def kind of mood i gotta be in to just sit around and listen to jazz, or drive around, and i hate using it as background music cause all the elements are so amazing

Backstreets is maybe my favorite recording of all time, by anyone, and I still don't know all the lyrics. But even on first listen, I could could feel every word. That's the song that got me hooked on him.

And Radiotube, just for kicks, here's Bruce doing some Reggae. http://www.megaupload.com/?d=AWXIEOW3

BiggBoogaBiff

« Reply #23 on: February 02, 2009, 08:26:42 PM »
I wasn't saying use I Wayne as a halftime show artist lol!  but it would've been better nonetheless *i always put youtube links in my post*.  I'm not hating on Bruce and he's damn sure popular as fuck and he should be considering how long he's been in the game and still selling out shows.  But it just didn't catch me like I have a feeling some of his songs are capable of (I was feeling the Intro with the 'bad ass' guitars).  And for the record, "highly" rated opinionators opinions dont mean anything to me, I stopped paying attention once I caught on to the movie raters thing like "best movie of the year" and "breath taking" and "must see movie of the year" every movie gets the same rating LOL  :D so I can only imagine what they'll say about Springsteen.  But as far as keeping the tradition with the older artist doing shows, I think it's about time we change that and put some fresher talent up there... I know they're just halftime shows but for the sake of good tv, it's time we move on past artist like Bon Jovi, Stevie Wonder, Paul McCartney, and the usual suspects.  I'm sure alotta people just go to those concerts just as a way of getting out the house (not to downplay it, I'm sure they have good shows too and alot of genuine fans).  But like I said/// fresher faces = better shows... Much love to Mr. Springsteen but he should've just stayed at home yesterday.

And don't use one of those corny ass commercial/bubble gum chicken noodle soup rappers neither... Little kids and young teens (13-17) like those records not the majority of Hip Hop fans and listeners (there's a broad range of artist that can make dancable songs).  It doesn't even have to be just a rapper, What about a GoGo band???

(fastforward to 1:50)
  (EVERYBODY WOULD'VE BEEN ROCKIN TO THIS!!! TRUST ME) Even the older white people  :D Especially when you hear it Live, it's so unbelievable- you'll feel  it.  This is an untapped form of better/more positive entertainment (MamboSauce is a good example too)

There's more the NFL can do to provide a better and fresher show.

*edited 11:42pm* on the Eastcoast
« Last Edit: February 02, 2009, 08:51:02 PM by RadioTube! »

white Boy

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #24 on: February 02, 2009, 08:57:58 PM »
^ you cant have the superbowl, the most watched event all year, have some band (i dont even know wtf a go go band is) that nobody knows of, that doesnt make sence, and if you dont get a pop rapper, your gonna get some grimey underground 100k record sales rapper? cause he keeps it real?

Shallow

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #25 on: February 02, 2009, 09:23:16 PM »
I wasn't saying use I Wayne as a halftime show artist lol!  but it would've been better nonetheless *i always put youtube links in my post*.  I'm not hating on Bruce and he's damn sure popular as fuck and he should be considering how long he's been in the game and still selling out shows.  But it just didn't catch me like I have a feeling some of his songs are capable of (I was feeling the Intro with the 'bad ass' guitars).  And for the record, "highly" rated opinionators opinions dont mean anything to me, I stopped paying attention once I caught on to the movie raters thing like "best movie of the year" and "breath taking" and "must see movie of the year" every movie gets the same rating LOL  :D so I can only imagine what they'll say about Springsteen.  But as far as keeping the tradition with the older artist doing shows, I think it's about time we change that and put some fresher talent up there... I know they're just halftime shows but for the sake of good tv, it's time we move on past artist like Bon Jovi, Stevie Wonder, Paul McCartney, and the usual suspects.  I'm sure alotta people just go to those concerts just as a way of getting out the house (not to downplay it, I'm sure they have good shows too and alot of genuine fans).  But like I said/// fresher faces = better shows... Much love to Mr. Springsteen but he should've just stayed at home yesterday.

And don't use one of those corny ass commercial/bubble gum chicken noodle soup rappers neither... Little kids and young teens (13-17) like those records not the majority of Hip Hop fans and listeners (there's a broad range of artist that can make dancable songs).  It doesn't even have to be just a rapper, What about a GoGo band???

(fastforward to 1:50)
  (EVERYBODY WOULD'VE BEEN ROCKIN TO THIS!!! TRUST ME) Even the older white people  :D Especially when you hear it Live, it's so unbelievable- you'll feel  it.  This is an untapped form of better/more positive entertainment (MamboSauce is a good example too)

There's more the NFL can do to provide a better and fresher show.

*edited 11:42pm* on the Eastcoast

If you don't like the style you don't like the style. Don't like what reviewers say, take it from me, I saw Bruce in 07 and it was a 2 and hour a 40 minute amazing show. The band has amazing musical talent and he knows how to put on a show, and I've seen a lot of people perform. I was just pointing out the reviews to show he wasn't just up there for his legend status. If Springsteen started to suck a long the way he would have quit by now.

Anyway there is a much bigger reason for legends making the best half time shows. Every live performer will tell you the bigger the venue the harder it is to keep the people focused on you. Bruce had masted the 40,000+ stadium over 20 years ago, and had been doing it well ever since. There isa big difference between entertaining a few hundred people in a dance hall that all the like same music and entertaining 60,000 people in a giant bowl.

the ghost

« Reply #26 on: February 02, 2009, 09:32:47 PM »
He was high energy and he just looked like he was having a lot of fun  The epic knee slide sold it for me 8)  And it does crack me up the amount of people who never paid anymind  to the lyrics of Born in the USA.  Completely changes the entire vibe of the song.

Shallow

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #27 on: February 02, 2009, 09:59:52 PM »
He was high energy and he just looked like he was having a lot of fun  The epic knee slide sold it for me 8)  And it does crack me up the amount of people who never paid anymind  to the lyrics of Born in the USA.  Completely changes the entire vibe of the song.

I got to see an entire HD screen filled with Bruce's crotch. I'm not gay, but I came close. lol

Have you heard any acoustic versions of Born in the USA?

BiggBoogaBiff

I AM NOT A RACIST
« Reply #28 on: February 03, 2009, 07:55:11 AM »
It's clear white boy & shallow shouldn't be on HipHop forums.  You can have a non-worldwide known band get on the stage and rock it (i dont wanna sound racist but you white folks do it all the time).  And who said we have to have a "grimey" rapper get on and do tha damn thang, I know when and where hardcore rap has it's place (I'm not 12yrs old).  I was simply saying that we dont wanna hear that bubble gum pop rap shit because you think ALL of us black people like that shit (and trust me alot of dont, read different forums or ask someone (any race, any age) in the street and you'll see).  You can't please everybody but just because you think Bruce Springsteen is god doesn't mean everybody is diggin' him and his band.  GoGo music is popular in more places than you think (NJ, NC, SC, GA, FL, DEL, NY, MA, for a few places).  Every superbowl show I've watched always has somebody thats whiter than Al Gore playing the music during the halftime (even Prince), but the NFL is mainly Black (we shouldnt have to cater to ya'll because alot of white people don't like what we/everybody else likes, supposedly- demographically speaking).  Like I said no bubblegum raps (use Wale or Tabi Bonney or Good Charlotte) and no Springsteen.  Why wasn't Yo Yo Ma on?  What about Carlos Santana and an RnB singer up there?  What about a Willie Nelson & Snoop Dogg show?  Bruce might still be selling and very popular but that whole show just wasn't doing it for me.  Even my Dad who I swear can pass for the Whitest Black Man sometimes wasn't even diggin' Springsteen and he's all about good school music like that.  Who are you to say I'm wrong about putting a GoGo Band up there anyways, have you even been to a show, they have shows damn near everyday and are always sellin' out (BackYard Band, Chuck Brown a LEGEND, Rare Essence) .... look for em sometime.  Everybody love the GoGo when they go to a show and I aint just talking about my people.  I'm hip to these white corporate execs tryna appeal to the Lou Dobbs & Joe The Plumber audience without everybody else in mind too.  Everything clearly was showing that during the entire show, I wasn't even counting how many black people were on tv (not even thinking about that shit) until it was just real obvious... I think I counted like two by the time I noticed.  But NBC and FOX and all of those stations are known for that 'view', I watch the news all day everyday... But like I said about the GoGo music or any music, don't knock it if you dont know what you're talking about, you have to go to a show (GoGo) to know what I'm saying, and not youtube!  Because if GoGo music is an acquired taste then so is Springsteen.

GoGo Classics:

(women love this)
(killed that chick on her own song, they made 1000 times more listenable)
  (umbrella)
(Wale, GoGo Music, & Warren G all in one)

and the list goes on...

Shallow

• Muthafuckin' Don!
Re: I AM NOT A RACIST
« Reply #29 on: February 03, 2009, 08:25:25 AM »
It's clear white boy & shallow shouldn't be on HipHop forums.  You can have a non-worldwide known band get on the stage and rock it (i dont wanna sound racist but you white folks do it all the time).  And who said we have to have a "grimey" rapper get on and do tha damn thang, I know when and where hardcore rap has it's place (I'm not 12yrs old).  I was simply saying that we dont wanna hear that bubble gum pop rap shit because you think ALL of us black people like that shit (and trust me alot of dont, read different forums or ask someone (any race, any age) in the street and you'll see).  You can't please everybody but just because you think Bruce Springsteen is god doesn't mean everybody is diggin' him and his band.  GoGo music is popular in more places than you think (NJ, NC, SC, GA, FL, DEL, NY, MA, for a few places).  Every superbowl show I've watched always has somebody thats whiter than Al Gore playing the music during the halftime (even Prince), but the NFL is mainly Black (we shouldnt have to cater to ya'll because alot of white people don't like what we/everybody else likes, supposedly- demographically speaking).  Like I said no bubblegum raps (use Wale or Tabi Bonney or Good Charlotte) and no Springsteen.  Why wasn't Yo Yo Ma on?  What about Carlos Santana and an RnB singer up there?  What about a Willie Nelson & Snoop Dogg show?  Bruce might still be selling and very popular but that whole show just wasn't doing it for me.  Even my Dad who I swear can pass for the Whitest Black Man sometimes wasn't even diggin' Springsteen and he's all about good school music like that.  Who are you to say I'm wrong about putting a GoGo Band up there anyways, have you even been to a show, they have shows damn near everyday and are always sellin' out (BackYard Band, Chuck Brown a LEGEND, Rare Essence) .... look for em sometime.  Everybody love the GoGo when they go to a show and I aint just talking about my people.  I'm hip to these white corporate execs tryna appeal to the Lou Dobbs & Joe The Plumber audience without everybody else in mind too.  Everything clearly was showing that during the entire show, I wasn't even counting how many black people were on tv (not even thinking about that shit) until it was just real obvious... I think I counted like two by the time I noticed.  But NBC and FOX and all of those stations are known for that 'view', I watch the news all day everyday... But like I said about the GoGo music or any music, don't knock it if you dont know what you're talking about, you have to go to a show (GoGo) to know what I'm saying, and not youtube!  Because if GoGo music is an acquired taste then so is Springsteen.

GoGo Classics:

(women love this)
(killed that chick on her own song, they made 1000 times more listenable)
  (umbrella)
(Wale, GoGo Music, & Warren G all in one)

and the list goes on...

What the fuck are you talking about? I never said Springsteen entertained every single person watching. But you aren't providing any facts. Where do these go go bands sell out in the places you mentioned. Have you ever seen a single act fill up a Football stadium in the US for their concert? Because I've never heard of that. The last time Bruce was begged to do the half time show was '03, and that same year he sold out Giant Stadium (where the Giants and Jets play) 10 nights in a row. 500,000 tickets were sold in a matter of hours.

Springsteen plays a lot of black music by the way, and just because it's not the black music you like doesn't make it Lou Dobbs music. BB King whose as black as it gets with music often complains that not many black people come to his shows. And the NFL tried an half time show with Nelly, Kid Rock, Timberlake, Janet, and Diddy in 2004 and it fucking sucked, that's why they stay away from it. There is a reason why the top rappers can't sell stadiums time and again; they don't know how to work them. People go see someone like Nelly or Jay Z once in a larger venue like a hockey arena, play 100 bucks and leave thinking we'll at least I saw him live (I've been to and sen the reactions post-show). When I want to the Springsteen show last October I saw plenty of people that had never been to a show before, young people, and while not every single person left with a new outlook on life, I saw a lot of young people amazed at how good at was and talking about how they gotta come back the next time he's town. Springsteen was the type of guy that used to make records just so he could go on tour, that's where he was best.

I don't know about your Go go bands, and I'm not saying they are incapable of doing big shows but when picking someone to entertain 60,000 football (who are mostly white. Players might be black, but viewers are still majority white) the NFL wants someone they know can do it.