Author Topic: New York Post racisit cartoon toward Obama as a shot dead Chimp WTF???  (Read 704 times)

.:TimeLock:.

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Da Time Keepa!
GOT SOME HATERS AT THE NY POST ::)

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090218/ap_en_ot/ny_post_cartoon

NEW YORK – A New York Post cartoon that some have interpreted as comparing President Barack Obama to a violent chimpanzee gunned down by police drew outrage Wednesday from civil rights leaders and elected officials who said it echoed racist stereotypes of blacks as monkeys.

The cartoon in Wednesday's Post by Sean Delonas shows two police officers, one with a smoking gun, standing over the body of a bullet-riddled chimp. The caption reads: "They'll have to find someone else to write the next stimulus bill."

The cartoon refers to a chimpanzee named Travis who was killed Monday by police in Stamford, Conn., after it mauled a friend of its owner.

Some critics called the cartoon racist and said it trivialized a tragedy in which a woman was disfigured and a chimpanzee killed. Others said the cartoon suggests that Obama should be assassinated. Many urged a boycott of the Post and the companies that advertise in it.

"How could the Post let this cartoon pass as satire?" said Barbara Ciara, president of the National Association of Black Journalists. "To compare the nation's first African-American commander in chief to a dead chimpanzee is nothing short of racist drivel."

State Sen. Eric Adams called it a "throwback to the days" when black men were lynched.

The Rev. Al Sharpton called the cartoon "troubling at best given the historic racist attacks of African-Americans as being synonymous with monkeys."

The cartoon set off a furious response against the Post. Its phones rang all day with angry callers. Protesters picketed the tabloid's Manhattan offices, demanding an apology and a boycott and chanting "shut the Post down."

Col Allan, editor-in-chief of the Post, defended the work.

"The cartoon is a clear parody of a current news event, to wit the shooting of a violent chimpanzee in Connecticut," Allan said in a statement. "It broadly mocks Washington's efforts to revive the economy. Again, Al Sharpton reveals himself as nothing more than a publicity opportunist."

The cartoon drew hundreds of comments on the Internet including at the liberal Huffington Post, where columnist Sam Stein wrote: "At its most benign, the cartoon suggests that the stimulus bill was so bad, monkeys may as well have written it. Most provocatively, it compares the president to a rabid chimp."

White House Press Secretary Robert Gibbs declined comment.

"I have not seen the cartoon," he told reporters aboard Air Force One as Obama returned to Washington from Arizona, where he announced his plan to deal with the foreclosure crisis. "But I don't think it's altogether newsworthy reading the New York Post."

It is not the first time that Delonas, the longtime cartoonist for the Post's Page Six, has raised eyebrows with a heavy-handed caricature.

An earlier Delonas cartoon made fun of Paul McCartney's ex-wife Heather Mills for having only one leg, and another compared gay people seeking marriage licenses to sheep lovers. In a cartoon last month, an enormous Jessica Simpson dumps boyfriend Tony Romo for Ronald McDonald.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2009, 02:18:55 PM by .:TimeLock:. »

Turf Hitta

• Muthafuckin' Don!
WOW...

the ghost

When I read the story yesterday without seeing the cartoon, I was thinking....maybe its just people being really sensitive.  But after seeing the cartoon, how the hell can they explain it for being anything but racist?  The editor in chief fucked up.  They should have agreed with the people complaining, fired the cartoonist and printed an apology.  Now this will get way bigger, and they will have to do the same thing anyway but now the silly editor in chief is going to get let go too.  Morons.

Hey Ma

columnist Sam Stein wrote: "At its most benign, the cartoon suggests that the stimulus bill was so bad, monkeys may as well have written it. Most provocatively, it compares the president to a rabid chimp."

Pretty much. It looks fucked up at face value, but I don't think anyone at the Post would seriously want to publish a cartoon referencing a high profile black person as a monkey.

.:DaYg0sTyLz:.

columnist Sam Stein wrote: "At its most benign, the cartoon suggests that the stimulus bill was so bad, monkeys may as well have written it. Most provocatively, it compares the president to a rabid chimp."

Pretty much. It looks fucked up at face value, but I don't think anyone at the Post would seriously want to publish a cartoon referencing a high profile black person as a monkey.

but they did...
"...and these niggas gettin tattoo tears...industry Bloods that show fear, when the authentics are near"

herpes

Re: New York Post racisit cartoon toward Obama as a shot dead Chimp WTF???
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2009, 08:32:48 PM »
LOL @ conservatives trying to say the monkey represents congress.

Mr. O

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2009, 08:42:47 PM »
It might as well be...I'm mean shit...it's true that these fuckers don't read the bills....still...I don't know..enough said.
[flash=200,200<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/AlIxU8SiFZU?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/AlIxU8SiFZU?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>[/flash]

Kill

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2009, 04:22:33 AM »
The New York Post has always been a rather moronic paper. i don't think they wanted to be racist and did it on purpose, i just think they have the political sensitivity of the average chimp. they'll have to find someone else to edit-in-chief the next NY Post.

virtuoso

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2009, 04:46:29 AM »
It might as well be...I'm mean shit...it's true that these fuckers don't read the bills....still...I don't know..enough said.

True indeed, there is no scrutiny, there is no no transparency, the bills are so long that it it's impossible to analyse the sub sections given the very limited time given to pass them. That is one of the reasons why such heinous bills are pushed through, that said, when the dust has settled, if the politicians had ANYTHING about them, they would be pushing en masse to repeal the given legislation.

Elano

« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2009, 06:50:01 AM »
NEW YORK – After two days of protests, the New York Post apologized Thursday for a cartoon that some have interpreted as comparing President Barack Obama to a violent chimpanzee gunned down by police. But the newspaper also said its longtime antagonists exploited the image for revenge.

The qualified apology didn't mollify at least some of the cartoon's critics, who said they might continue protesting Friday.

The newspaper posted an editorial on its Web site Thursday evening saying the cartoon was meant to mock the federal economic stimulus bill, but "to those who were offended by the image, we apologize."

The piece was posted hours after 200 picketers chanting "Boycott the Post! Shut it down!" marched in front of the paper's office, saying the cartoon echoed racist stereotypes of blacks as monkeys.

The editorial said that "most certainly was not its intent," adding that some media and public figures who have long-standing differences with the paper saw the cartoon "as an opportunity for payback."

Calling them "opportunists," the editorial said: "To them, no apology is due."

The Rev. Al Sharpton, who helped lead the outcry over the cartoon, criticized what he called the paper's "conditional statement" of regret.

"Though we think it is the right thing for them to apologize to those they offended, they seem to want to blame the offense on those (who) raised the issue, rather than take responsibility for what they did," he said in a statement.

The tabloid, owned by Rupert Murdoch's News Corp., is known for its feisty attitude, provocative headlines and conservative outlook — a mix that has garnered hundreds of thousands of readers, but also criticism over the years.

The newspaper had stood by the cartoon, which its editor called "a clear parody" about the death of Travis, the chimp that Connecticut police killed Monday after it mauled a friend of its owner. Editor-in-chief Col Allan had said the intent was to ridicule Washington's efforts to revive the economy.

The drawing by longtime Post cartoonist Sean Delonas, published Wednesday, shows a dead chimp and two police officers, one with a smoking gun. The caption reads, "They'll have to find someone else to write the next stimulus bill."

The Post was picketed and deluged with angry calls, with some of Thursday's marchers carrying signs that said "Jail Billionaire N.Y. Post Owner Rupert Murdoch."

"We make them and we break them with our money, and we should shut it down," said protester Angela Brown, who carried a glossy photo of Obama.

Some protesters said the cartoon not only underscored racist tropes but even suggested that Obama should be shot.

"Since when can you call for the killing of the president of the United States?" demanded City Councilman Charles Barron.

M Dogg™

• Greatest of All Time
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Feel the Power of the Darkside
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2009, 09:06:12 AM »

True indeed, there is no scrutiny, there is no no transparency, the bills are so long that it it's impossible to analyse the sub sections given the very limited time given to pass them. That is one of the reasons why such heinous bills are pushed through, that said, when the dust has settled, if the politicians had ANYTHING about them, they would be pushing en masse to repeal the given legislation.

Here, have you read the bill, it's online you know, look it over. I mean, god, with this kind of non-transparency, I mean I have no idea what's in there. Maybe those Obama f***ers thought that no one would read it... damn non-transparent f***s.

http://frwebgate.access.gpo.gov/cgi-bin/getdoc.cgi?dbname=111_cong_bills&docid=f:h1enr.pdf

Kill

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2009, 09:10:32 AM »

which is exactly the type of behavior they found in congolese chimps. checkmate barack.

virtuoso

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2009, 09:54:21 AM »

Here, have you read the bill, it's online you know, look it over. I mean, god, with this kind of non-transparency, I mean I have no idea what's in there. Maybe those Obama f***ers thought that no one would read it... damn non-transparent f***s.

http://frwebgate.access.gpo.gov/cgi-bin/getdoc.cgi?dbname=111_cong_bills&docid=f:h1enr.pdf

Oh dear, I wasn't referring to the newest stimulus package, I know it's contents as bad as they are are displayed, it has probably disappeared down your memory hole but I am referring to the bank bailouts, only nobody knows exactly where the money has gone (no transparency).

However specifically this bill, there is some 750 pages in the stimulus package bill, congress were given 2 days to pass it! it's the same with all of these bills, which in itself might be something of a paper tiger because as I have already stated, once the bills are gone through, then it's apparent how disgusting they are and yet by then the politicians shrug their shoulders and pundits shrug their shoulders in unison to and say well that's politics. As for the "checkmate obama comment" this just underlines the level of thinking you are applying to politics, IT'S NOT ABOUT INDIVIDUALS, it's about all of the nasty, dangerous policies being pushed.

« Last Edit: February 20, 2009, 10:08:38 AM by virtuoso »

.:TimeLock:.

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Da Time Keepa!
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2009, 10:48:45 AM »
even if this fucker the drew the comic was not trying to be racist which he was.... the editors should have pulled it before it was printed and published just shows u they most likely don't have any one black or of color working on their editing staff that would have been able to see the racism in that and demand it be removed!

virtuoso

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2009, 10:53:54 AM »
even if this fucker the drew the comic was not trying to be racist which he was.... the editors should have pulled it before it was printed and published just shows u they most likely don't have any one black or of color working on their editing staff that would have been able to see the racism in that and demand it be removed!

99.9% of politicians are monkeys of one sort or another....all slaving hard for their owners