Author Topic: Reasons how DJ Premier is best and not over-rated  (Read 4222 times)

2euce 7even

Re: Reasons how DJ Premier is best and not over-rated
« Reply #120 on: February 25, 2009, 01:30:54 PM »
ta make da long story short,
dj premier is to east coast what dr.dre´s to west coast.
nuff said.

psycho.

Jaydc555

« Reply #121 on: February 25, 2009, 02:11:50 PM »
Yeah I mean 3 6 mafia are talented producers.but as for rhyming their shit is so basic and boring and repetitive.and like guy said I don't think any would have a single 3 6 mafia album in their top 100.you say they've shaped the music that is today?well how surprising is it that hip hop is considered dead and the worst its ever been?mainly because of the south.not saying the south is All bad but let's face it a lot of it is garbage that won't be remembered.do you seriously think that 50 years from now people will care about 3 6 mafia?they won't believe me.what they've done is great but they are a regional group and that's all.illmatic will always be one of the best hip hop albums ever created and your just downright crazy if you think a 3 6 mafia album is better

Primo

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I just want to fit in!
« Reply #122 on: February 25, 2009, 02:18:05 PM »
Yo that beat you posted was a loop playing over and over again. What a joke. For real I can find 100 internet producers that sound similar to 3-6.

BiggBoogaBiff

Having Bass in your music mean's alot
« Reply #123 on: February 25, 2009, 04:01:44 PM »
Three 6 created a whole genre of hip hop (crunk), Preme did his thang with a few Big artist up north but outside of that loop up there, he really hasn't done much from what I've seen (not counting overseas).  i'm in the perfect spot to know how far his popularity is on the East (maryland).  i see ya'll are big Preme fans/advocates and all you're going to do is fight me to tha end about who's better (which is cool) but I'm telling you trust me, if I asked 200 people they'd probably forget about Preme and that's tha truth (not all 200 of course but alot).  he may be big in your circle of friends wherever you're at but over here he's not (maryland/dc/va/ i can't speak on del) and that's real.  Preme had his run in tha 90's but since 00' his name has barely been brought up, yeah of course at hip hop conventions/award ceremonies (outside of Pete Rock & Kanye West who else would you talk about - as far as "conciseness" is concerned).  take my word for it, his name don't ring bells like that, maybe ya'll don't see it but I do. Most people who like Preme's work, they're either white suburban constituents (no lie, it's the truth - even the chill white boys will play a 3-6 record b4 a Common record), 40+, or just into a softer side of rap.  When the cars go by and you here rap it's always more so of the south than the same old Eastcoast "classic" artist none of ya'll seem to shuttup about.  that's why everytime we hear a hip hop is dead argument it never commands our attention bcuz that shit is so irrelevant and really 4 tha birds (hip hop condasuer or fly by nighter)... young or old as long as u can dance/smoke/vibe 2 it then everything is all good, no matter who it's done by and what it sounds like (we don't discriminate and judge).  u could be bumpin tha newest ''snap'' track and as long as it bangs (really bangs) then it's all good (i'm serious).  now my last statement on this shit is, just bcuz u feel genuinely that Preme's better than have your opinion (if people around u feel the same way then let em), but as far as I'm concerned and what I've seen- Preme doesn't even come close 2 a Three 6 record, they're waaaay more popular in this region (let alone the south and the westcoast).  the numbers don't lie between sold out concerts and play.  I can't convince you 3 and I won't, and if u can't understand what I'm writing it makes it all the more impossible.  face it, that whole "real" mc hip hop shit doesn't apply 4 a majority of the people (numbers don't lie) i agree the game could be better, but what do u want.  more music that'll make u sit there and think hard as shit all day and put u to sleep or music that'll make u jump up get buck.  i look at it like this, Gangstarr is computer music (sit at home and listen to it on your pc/laptop) and three 6 is more of party/car music (shit u just ride around bumpin all day).  ya'll should do some more history on them boys, you'd be surprised at how they came up and what's real ... it's not abuncha hype like most people would think.  - tru story

« Last Edit: February 25, 2009, 07:24:20 PM by RadioTube!_301 »

BiggBoogaBiff

I don't speak as a fan, only as a lover of hip hop
« Reply #124 on: February 25, 2009, 04:52:52 PM »
Yeah I mean 3 6 mafia are talented producers.but as for rhyming their shit is so basic and boring and repetitive.and like guy said I don't think any would have a single 3 6 mafia album in their top 100.you say they've shaped the music that is today?well how surprising is it that hip hop is considered dead and the worst its ever been?mainly because of the south.not saying the south is All bad but let's face it a lot of it is garbage that won't be remembered.do you seriously think that 50 years from now people will care about 3 6 mafia?they won't believe me.what they've done is great but they are a regional group and that's all.illmatic will always be one of the best hip hop albums ever created and your just downright crazy if you think a 3 6 mafia album is better

that's so far from the truth.  nobody had a problem with Southern music until Nas said something and that's a fact.  Illmatic is cool but enough about Illmatic, if I wana take 9 CLASSIC tracks and put em on one album i can take Aquemini or Tha DoggFather or some other random ass album with more than 9 songs and make it a classic (Tha Massacre, Thug Motivation 101, Late Registration, Lynch By Inch, Buck The World, Urban Legend, etc.)... please stop dickryding.  Like watchu like but now u sound like a grandpa talking about 60's music when u do that.  Reasonable Doubt and all of those other NY albums are great, but wat about Cali classics, wat about Georgia/Florida classics.  That whole perception of Illmatic being one of the best albums in history is really just a myth.  and The south didn't kill hip hop, it was never dead, it was just a bomb ass marketing ploy by Nas 2 sell some cd's... real talk (stop being so impressionable).  If the 6 didn't do wat I'm proving they did then I wouldn't speak on it but they're the Rock Superstars of hip hop and that's real... every record you hear someone chanting in is a rendition of an old three 6 mafia record.  and truth be told, more southern dance classics will be remembered... why?  bcuz it's dance music and when's the last time u heard some old school party not playing the "electric slide".  Them niggaz is far from regional... i think u'r simply not giving them a listen bcuz it's not ur style, but to say that they pretty much aren't shit outside of Memphis is like saying Stevie Wonder isn't blind or chicken doesn't taste like chicken.  You can only name a few considered classics by Preme but everybody doesn't feel the same way outside of NY and the UK.  - 1991 (that says alot)
« Last Edit: February 25, 2009, 07:50:11 PM by RadioTube!_301 »

BiggBoogaBiff

Regional???? What are you smoking... (grammies, nationwide, trendsetters,etc)
« Reply #125 on: February 25, 2009, 05:16:55 PM »
>>>>> anything by Preme anyday (that's just my opinion).  hip hop birthed in the East, went to school in the West, and grew up in the South , and now it's finding it's way to the MidWest.

« Last Edit: February 25, 2009, 07:49:10 PM by RadioTube!_301 »

Jaydc555

« Reply #126 on: February 26, 2009, 05:35:58 AM »
Its pretty obvious your the one being stubborn and thick headed about it.illmatic isn't a myth just go listen to the album.3 6 mafia will be remembered the same way lil jon is remembered.maybe in your make believe world they are what you think they are.ask any professional music journalist in hip hop and they would probably laugh their ass off at your claims.people still play fucking Mc hammer u can't touch this that doesn't make it classic.3 6 is club music nothing More nothing less.they are like a summer movie with no plot.you shut your brain off as soon as it comes on.which might explain why your so dumb.you listen to them too much and its obviously rotted your brain a bit.

Turf Hitta

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #127 on: February 26, 2009, 01:25:15 PM »

Better than any Just Blaze or 3-6 beats out there. There is no way you can say Premo is over-rated with joints like these.

I like DJ Premier but youre crazy if you dont think he's overrated.  What does he do thats so special? he samples and loops, uses the same general tempo range on everything he does, uses VERY similar drum patterns on everything, uses VERY similar drum samples on everything he does and he's used the same style for about the same amount of time that Too Short has used his same style. What makes him any better than a guy like Just Blaze (other than your own personal taste)?

His choice of samples make him that good, then how he loops them. All songs are loops if you listen to them. Like I said earlier, if it aint broke don't fix it. Infact I think he recently changed the decks he uses and he's starting to get a new sound. From 96-07, I admit his style didn't change at all, but recently his sound hasn't been as familiar.

lol so because you like his taste in shit to sample, he's great? I mean damn, I like a whole lot of his catalog too, but lets not act like hes really doing anything all that special. he's taking other people's shit and putting his signature drum samples/patterns behind em. Not much different than a million other people.

I am not great at explaining this type of shit. I just love the vibe his beats give out over anyone elses (except Dre).

well thats fine, I like a lot of his shit but I just don't kid myself and act like he is any more talented than anyone else in terms of musical ability. Anybody with a sense of rhythm can sample and loop.

BiggBoogaBiff

« Reply #128 on: February 26, 2009, 08:22:49 PM »

Better than any Just Blaze or 3-6 beats out there. There is no way you can say Premo is over-rated with joints like these.

I like DJ Premier but youre crazy if you dont think he's overrated.  What does he do thats so special? he samples and loops, uses the same general tempo range on everything he does, uses VERY similar drum patterns on everything, uses VERY similar drum samples on everything he does and he's used the same style for about the same amount of time that Too Short has used his same style. What makes him any better than a guy like Just Blaze (other than your own personal taste)?

His choice of samples make him that good, then how he loops them. All songs are loops if you listen to them. Like I said earlier, if it aint broke don't fix it. Infact I think he recently changed the decks he uses and he's starting to get a new sound. From 96-07, I admit his style didn't change at all, but recently his sound hasn't been as familiar.

lol so because you like his taste in shit to sample, he's great? I mean damn, I like a whole lot of his catalog too, but lets not act like hes really doing anything all that special. he's taking other people's shit and putting his signature drum samples/patterns behind em. Not much different than a million other people.

I am not great at explaining this type of shit. I just love the vibe his beats give out over anyone elses (except Dre).

well thats fine, I like a lot of his shit but I just don't kid myself and act like he is any more talented than anyone else in terms of musical ability. Anybody with a sense of rhythm can sample and loop.

you're 1000 percent right, it's not the same thing as making an rnb instrumental or this and not just bcuz it's dr. dre/khalil
just look how eazy it is   - stop getting so gassed becuz he's YOUR favorite producer, there's nothing magical or unique about his production.  and i don't wanna sound like a hater but there's a million other producers who can do wat he do better- EASY and the Crack A Bottle remake
« Last Edit: February 27, 2009, 07:18:03 AM by RadioTube!_301 »

Paul

« Reply #129 on: February 27, 2009, 06:56:11 AM »

Three 6 have done alot for hip hop, first hip hop artist to win a grammy, first rap artists to go platinum in memphis, 2 or 3 classic south albums,

This is a disagreement thats goin nowhere,

Its all about opinions, so no1 can say "I you think Juicy J and DJ Paul are better than Preme then your crazy and dont know hip hop" cause thats wrong

2 different styles,

Personally i prefer three 6's production, Does that mean i have bad taste in hip hop??
funkyfreshintheflesh

BiggBoogaBiff

« Reply #130 on: February 27, 2009, 07:25:20 AM »

Three 6 have done alot for hip hop, first hip hop artist to win a grammy, first rap artists to go platinum in memphis, 2 or 3 classic south albums,

Its all about opinions, so no1 can say "I you think Juicy J and DJ Paul are better than Preme then your crazy and dont know hip hop" cause thats wrong

2 different styles,

Personally i prefer three 6's production, Does that mean i have bad taste in hip hop??

Not really, both of em are sample heavy and use dj'ing techniecs when it comes to their production.  Three 6 has more instrumentation in their music vs. Preme's basic beat (kick, clap, hi hat, sample, minimal bass) <--- and that's it.  that's why they're better, but like who u like- i know if we're having a conversation about who's more talented then you would'nt have a choice but to agree that the 6 is better.  why..... it's like comparing Dr. Dre & Jermaine Dupri, both of em have classics and consistant records but at the end of the day who puts more into their music and who makes it sound better... Dr. Dre.  of course everybody wouldn't agree with that analigy but if u asked everybody if they liked Bush - some people would still say he was a great President...  Bottom line, sonically Three 6 is more advanced- there's no way around that.  Preme doesn't rhyme so u can't use the lyrical ability but if u ask me Juicy J and Lord Infamous are some very unique MC's which puts them in a league of their own.

Paul

« Reply #131 on: February 27, 2009, 07:31:10 AM »

2 different styles,

Not really, both of em are sample heavy and use dj'ing techniecs when it comes to their production.  Three 6 has more instrumentation in their music vs. Preme's basic beat (kick, clap, hi hat, sample, minimal bass) <--- and that's it.  that's why they're better, but like who u like- i know if we're having a conversation about who's more talented then you would'nt have a choice but to agree that the 6 is better.  why..... it's like comparing Dr. Dre & Jermaine Dupri, both of em have classics and consistant records but at the end of the day who puts more into their music and who makes it sound better... Dr. Dre.  of course everybody wouldn't agree with that analigy but if u asked everybody if they liked Bush - some people would still say he was a great President...  Bottom line, sonically Three 6 is more advanced- there's no way around that.  Preme doesn't rhyme so u can't use the lyrical ability but if u ask me Juicy J and Lord Infamous are some very unique MC's which puts them in a league of their own.

I meant as in Premes is more upbeat/feel good in the sample whereas three 6(mainly earlier stuff) is dark, evil sort of stuff. Imo juicy and Paul have more to give in terms of a wide range of productions, but no doubt both three 6 and premo have made classics
funkyfreshintheflesh

BiggBoogaBiff

« Reply #132 on: February 27, 2009, 07:41:53 AM »

2 different styles,

I meant as in Premes is more upbeat/feel good in the sample whereas three 6(mainly earlier stuff) is dark, evil sort of stuff. Imo juicy and Paul have more to give in terms of a wide range of productions, but no doubt both three 6 and premo have made classics

True shit, but i don't understand how u could say Three 6 isn't more upbeat. 

- it's nothing to make a beat
« Last Edit: February 27, 2009, 08:06:50 AM by RadioTube!_301 »

BiggBoogaBiff

« Reply #133 on: February 27, 2009, 08:05:50 AM »
  LMAO!

Paul

« Reply #134 on: February 27, 2009, 08:23:54 AM »

2 different styles,

True shit, but i don't understand how u could say Three 6 isn't more upbeat. 

- it's nothing to make a beat

I meant premo is like feel good sort of stuff/soul and jazz orientated samples

Juicy and Paul can do it to , (Poppin my collar, New Project pat single etc)
funkyfreshintheflesh