Author Topic: Re-Visiting Jay-Z "American Gangster"  (Read 626 times)

Chamillitary Click

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The greatest entertainer ever.
Re: Re-Visiting Jay-Z "American Gangster"
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2009, 01:58:12 PM »
the fact that henamed it american gangster and that movie was commin out round the same time just came of as cheezy to me. i get he was tryin to bank off the success of the movie but i thot it just seemed lame.

exactly, purely a marketing ploy to make some $$$.  And what was that other shit that was a Budweiser commercial?  Damn that song was fuckin horrible. 

when has Jay not been about the money?

the title didnt really bother me, concidering the music on the disc was mad good, imo.

& the Bud commercial; like i said, Jay is always about the money.

i cant knock Jay's hustle. ;) 8)

S P I C E

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • LOOK WHO'S BACK
« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2009, 02:02:24 PM »
^^^Either can I, I dont think anyone can knock his hustle but I agree that for the most part Jay has not been listenable since The Black Album, and although I think that was a good album I don't think it was as great as a lot of people think it is.  Jay in his prime is top 10 but I dont think he has been that great at all for several years now.

DIP DIP SET SET

Chamillitary Click

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2009, 02:08:28 PM »
^^^Either can I, I dont think anyone can knock his hustle but I agree that for the most part Jay has not been listenable since The Black Album, and although I think that was a good album I don't think it was as great as a lot of people think it is.  Jay in his prime is top 10 but I dont think he has been that great at all for several years now.

i feel that.

i like Jay post Black Album though; Black Album is like border line classic & after that he went down, but i can still bump his shit. 8)

jeromechickenbone

« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2009, 02:19:41 PM »
the fact that henamed it american gangster and that movie was commin out round the same time just came of as cheezy to me. i get he was tryin to bank off the success of the movie but i thot it just seemed lame.

exactly, purely a marketing ploy to make some $$$.  And what was that other shit that was a Budweiser commercial?  Damn that song was fuckin horrible. 

the title didnt really bother me, concidering the music on the disc was mad good, imo.

I don't care about Jay's hustle.  That's not what I look for in an artist. 

D-Nice

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I Made Jesus Walks/So I Ain't Never Going To Hell
« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2009, 02:24:53 PM »
I dont see why everyone hates on Kingdom Come for?  Theres only a couple skippable tracks on there for me.

The prelude   5/5
Oh My God   4/5
Kingdom come  4.5/5
Show me what you got 4/5
Lost One   5/5
Do You wanna ride 3.75/5
30 Something   5/5
Made it   3.75/5
Anything  1/5
Hollywood   1/5
Trouble    5/5
Dig A Hole  4/5
Minortiy report   4/5
Beach Chair  3.75/5

I did like the album, just thought he sounded like he was going through the motions at times. Subject matter was very grown up which I liked. Kind of like Cube's Raw Footage album in that regard but it was a good album. I just enjoyed American Gangster more.

Chamillitary Click

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #20 on: February 22, 2009, 02:27:34 PM »

I don't care about Jay's hustle.  That's not what I look for in an artist. 

well its obvious he isnt in his prime anymore, im sure Jay-Z doesnt give a shit weather you still like him or not lol.

hes all about the green, even if that hurts his music; BUT i dont see it hurting his music concidering i still like it lol. 8)

virtuoso

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #21 on: February 22, 2009, 02:54:37 PM »
This was such a damn great album. I think many people disliked it because they made up their minds it was crap after hearing the terrible "Kingdom Come" album.

This album is so fantastic, especially to see a popular NY artist release an album without any mainstream sounding forced tracks. The production on this album is so dope and old school NY sounding, and Jigga fits all the beats perfectly. MAJOR PROPS need to go to Diddy, LV and Sean C for their production work on this :o  This is one of Jigga's best produced albums, right next to RD, BA and Blueprint.

I can't believe this was the follow up to Kingdom Come, what a drastic upgrade lol.

The only track I dislike even a bit is Hello Brooklyn

Pray - 5/5
American Dreamin' - 5/5
Hello Brooklyn - 3.75/5
No Hook - 5/5
Roc Boys - 5/5
Sweet - 4.25/5
I Know - 4/5
Party Life - 4.5/5
Ignorant Shit - 4.25/5
Say Hello - 4.5/5
Success - 4.5/5
Fallin' - 4.5/5
Blue Magic - 4.25/5
American Gangster - 4/5

top 5 in Jigga's disco, a great album. I dunno how so many ppl hate Jigga. He's certainly 1 of the greatest to ever do it.

I can't fucking wait for the Blueprint 3!

I agree with you but Hello Brooklyn is horrible, Sweet sounds like a mediocre off his second album, I Know is a horrible Neptunes song, Party Life sounds horrible. Say Hello wtf is that, the beat is uninspired and the lyrics not much better. The reason why this album is luke warmly received is because apart from a few standout tracks, he is clearly rapping within himself and the beat selection is very dicey. However to label someone a hater because they don't like this album is just ignorant. Jay-Z to me is a brilliant rapper and shits on most but it's an arrogance which has led to him falling off, it seems he only comes hard when he wants to and most of the time he is just bogged down in bravado which is not half as witty as what his self adulating self seems to think on record. The album is bogged down by bs beats and he said it himself, he dumbed down for his audience. I think perhaps I judge him differently to most because I know what a talented mc he is but often it seems he is content to put out what amounts to decent albums, as opposed to outstanding albums.  I think more than anything, this was a promise to go back to Reasonable Doubt and on beats alone, this isn't a shadow on the beats on that album.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2009, 02:58:11 PM by virtuoso »

Chamillitary Click

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #22 on: February 22, 2009, 03:00:19 PM »
his flow is just off the chains on Party Life & Fallin'! 8)

virtuoso

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #23 on: February 22, 2009, 03:06:53 PM »

You mean his new whisper flow? wtf is that, you need to re listen to reasonable doubt if you think that his flow on those two is anything great.

The Predator

« Reply #24 on: February 22, 2009, 03:13:39 PM »
All about the smoke blowing chick in the 'Blue Magic' promo

Chamillitary Click

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #25 on: February 22, 2009, 03:15:49 PM »

You mean his new whisper flow? wtf is that, you need to re listen to reasonable doubt if you think that his flow on those two is anything great.

he cant match 22 Two's, i know that lol.

damn, i am about to bump that shit right now! 8)

everlast1986

« Reply #26 on: February 22, 2009, 03:18:02 PM »
Considering how rushed the release of 'American Gangster' was, its not a bad album except for "Hello Brooklyn".

'Kingdom Come' on the other hand,... Garbage on Jay's part except for "Lost Ones" and "30 Something". The production minus a couple tracks were on point though.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2009, 03:24:38 PM by Beatz »

Chamillitary Click

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #27 on: February 22, 2009, 03:19:55 PM »
Considering how rushed the release of 'American Gangster' was, its not a bad album except for "Hello Brooklyn".

'Kingdom Come' on the other hand,... Garbage on Jay's part. The production minus a couple tracks were on point though.

yeah i was saying that back when i heard it was coming out, i was like shit, Kingdom Come dropped a few months ago...?

but he fuckin delivered with AG. 8)

Jaydc555

« Reply #28 on: February 22, 2009, 03:22:00 PM »
I couldn't agree less.kingdom come wasn't great but it showed growth as a man as an artist and the lyrics showed that.the subject matter was exactly what I wanted to hear because it was realistic,it was grown up music.But people hate change so they hated on the album they just wanted the same boring drug talk from him that hasn't been a part of his life for what almost 20 years now?he took a chance with it he took some flack then went back to the same boring subject matter.sure the production was solid but I found the album to be a step back for him.

Meho

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #29 on: February 22, 2009, 04:00:48 PM »
I couldn't agree less.kingdom come wasn't great but it showed growth as a man as an artist and the lyrics showed that.the subject matter was exactly what I wanted to hear because it was realistic,it was grown up music.But people hate change so they hated on the album they just wanted the same boring drug talk from him that hasn't been a part of his life for what almost 20 years now?he took a chance with it he took some flack then went back to the same boring subject matter.sure the production was solid but I found the album to be a step back for him.

Couldn't have said it better, altough Kingdom Come did have 2 or 3 crappy tracks.