Author Topic: Crooked I "I'm Still A MC" (First leak off of B.O.S.S.)  (Read 2367 times)

pootypooty

• Muthafuckin' Don!
Re: Crooked I "I'm Still A MC" (First leak off of B.O.S.S.)
« Reply #135 on: March 21, 2009, 06:14:10 PM »
Surprised people aren't feeling the beat, this joint goes hard.
i'm having a hard time to believe that, seriously.

no disrespect ;)

None taken, everyone is welcome to their own opinion.
;)

so don't you think the beat is generic then?

I don't think it's too generic, there's a lot of nice change ups in it and little details that you have to listen for... I don't know it's something you can knock in the ride, but don't have to worry about lowering cause the lyrics are sick too.
i see, but to me it seems that Crooked keeps trying so hard to make a hit you know ( even though this is a "leak").
hence he chooses such beats to rap over; maybe not all the time, but when looking at his previous (street) singles i see a pattern... ;)

I agree. I've only spun this new track one time and immediately the beat was subpar to me. Lyrically he came off nice without it feeling forced, but the beat doesn't move me.

Dream Big felt forced. It was mediocre at best.
Cali Boyz was cool, but not really single material in my opinion.
Boom Boom Clap had potential if they would've pushed it.
Str8 Bosses also had potential but they gave that up for a compilation album instead, which in my opinion wasn't a smart move.
N.W.A. was cool too, but again, not really single material.

Boom Boom Clap = Str8 Bosses > N.W.A. > Cali Boyz > I'm Still A MC > Dream Big

EFFeX

« Reply #136 on: March 21, 2009, 07:20:31 PM »

no disrespect ;)

;)

I don't think it's too generic, there's a lot of nice change ups in it and little details that you have to listen for... I don't know it's something you can knock in the ride, but don't have to worry about lowering cause the lyrics are sick too.
i see, but to me it seems that Crooked keeps trying so hard to make a hit you know ( even though this is a "leak").
hence he chooses such beats to rap over; maybe not all the time, but when looking at his previous (street) singles i see a pattern... ;)

Believe it or not I played this back when it first dropped and Storch was on top of his game and dudes went crazy! Everyone wanted it after I bumped it.

you gon always be my latin queen bitch

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #137 on: March 21, 2009, 07:31:12 PM »
boom boom clap (dope street song and dope club song)
cali boyz (replay value and cool song)
buck town (dope song and one of crooks best)
nwa (crooks top 5 and str8 bangin)
str8 bosses (crooks top 5 and this is crazy)

all them traxx have replay value and are some of his best
i mean he shot a video for boom boom clap, that was a let down on his part IMO
damn u still havent logged off...ur hurting everyone with all this wack shit u drop, it hurts more then getting the swine flu
Tue, Mar 16, 2010 at 8:15 AM By: Ice Cube
Me and Mack 10 together again? I never say never, but he has the kiss the ring first.
Cube
gbee:@ Petey: you sound like a broken record, time to grow up.

pootypooty

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #138 on: March 21, 2009, 07:49:22 PM »

no disrespect ;)

;)

Believe it or not I played this back when it first dropped and Storch was on top of his game and dudes went crazy! Everyone wanted it after I bumped it.

I like the track. I was just questioning whether it was 1st single material or not? In comparison to Boom Boom Clap & Str8 Bosses it would've been better as a follow-up or a 3rd single, but not the 1st single. That's just my opinion.

EFFeX

« Reply #139 on: March 21, 2009, 07:53:44 PM »
Oh yeah no doubt, it was not first single quality.

OG Hack Wilson

« Reply #140 on: March 21, 2009, 09:34:31 PM »
Crooked says that he doesnt want labels to make all the money of it,but whats the problem to sell cds on ur own website and make all the money ?u dont need any shit to sell ur cds for yourself ???????

Crook actually said  "death row can put it out and make all the money, i just awnt the music to get out there"

2005, wake up show.
Quote from: Now_I_Know on September 10, 2001, 04:19:36 PM
This guy aint no crip, and I'm 100% sure on that because he doesn't type like a crip, I know crips, and that fool is not a crip.

"I went from being homeless strung out on Dust to an 8 bedroom estate signed 2 1 of my fav rappers... Pump it up jokes can't hurt me."-- Mr. Joey Buddens

Dre-Day

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • No justice, no peace
« Reply #141 on: March 22, 2009, 02:07:36 AM »

no disrespect ;)

;)

I agree. I've only spun this new track one time and immediately the beat was subpar to me. Lyrically he came off nice without it feeling forced, but the beat doesn't move me.

Str8 Bosses also had potential but they gave that up for a compilation album instead, which in my opinion wasn't a smart move.

yeah, when a part of a song annoys me, i can't focus on the rest, so i immediately turn it off.

i mean, in stead of putting out so called "single" material, why not take an 180 degree turn and see what the responses are?
his future albums won't go diamond, so he might as well try to make the best of it.

pootypooty

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #142 on: March 22, 2009, 05:14:38 AM »

no disrespect ;)

;)

yeah, when a part of a song annoys me, i can't focus on the rest, so i immediately turn it off.

i mean, in stead of putting out so called "single" material, why not take an 180 degree turn and see what the responses are?
his future albums won't go diamond, so he might as well try to make the best of it.

Agreed.

Especially now that Crooked experienced the incident a few weeks ago, it's almost like he's come to the realization that life is short and the time is now. He's obviously fed up with negotiating with labels which is why he admittedly hasn't signed one yet.

In response to the label frustration coupled with the incident we get the type of record that I've been wanting Crooked to do since he left Death Row. Better yet King Tech of the Wake Up Show who was instrumental in getting Crooked to a larger audience over 10 yrs. ago when he battled Chino XL, seems to "get it" and understands what type of records Crooked sounds good over. Enter "If You Ever Hear Me" which leaked through MTV on Thursday.

While it's not geared towards mainstream listeners, it's one of those records that true Crooked fans as well as fans of lyricism can appreciate. The beat is simple, yet has a hard drum throughout the track, while allowing Crooked to showcase the rawness that brought him into the Death Row fold back in the day.

The point? Crooked should just do him and quit trying to appeal to the larger mainstream audience. If anything, he should do the kind of records that he knows he's capable of doing without sacrificing or dumbing down his style. I'm excited about those 7 records that King Tech & Crooked did together a couple of weekends ago. If the other 6 records are on the same vibe as "If You Ever Hear Me" then this is the direction Crooked should be taking with his music. I'll also credit King Tech for bringing Crooked to this realization.

On a side note, SlaughterHouse is also a positive movement in Crooked's artistic development because the other 3 guys in the group are constantly challenging him to stay sharp with the pen. While at the same time, Crooked can hopefully learn a few things about their approach to MC'ing. So they're a positive influence on him, in my opinion since they actually have experience with releasing records, and good ones at that.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2009, 05:17:43 AM by pootypooty »

hrsmn_london

« Reply #143 on: March 22, 2009, 10:17:17 AM »
Sickest shit I ever heard..

Liquorsto

« Reply #144 on: April 17, 2009, 02:45:03 PM »
crooked's bacc