Author Topic: Would the West be better off making classic 90s style beats to come back?  (Read 614 times)

Crockett

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Smile Boys Were About To Retire
ant banks for prez

G-Funk

To some extent when g-funk was mainstream it was kinda like today-- "i'm gonna copy this style of sound & feature this dude here and there... I think I can sell now". and it wasnt that there were "wack" g-funk beats, it was just that some sounded very similar.
but y'gotta admit that Dre's best work, Quik's best work, even Daz's best work came from that time period.
I guess its possible for it to come back, but that probably wont be until a very long time.

cyence

• 'G'
It was a process till today. Now the industry say: "You beat must sound like Timbo or Lil John"! That's the problem! There is no creativity!

I agree.

But don't forget that even in the 90s it was the same to an extent. There were countless horrible-sounding 'g-funk' records, for example, from producers who didn't have a tenth of the talent of Dre, Daz or Quik, but who just thought 'I have to make a record that sounds like that!'

lol peep the G-Funk tape they was playing on the bus at the end

M Dogg™

• Greatest of All Time
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Feel the Power of the Darkside
WTF??

G-Funk had it's day, Dre is over 40, Nate is recoving... get better soon homeboy... Warren or Quik hasn't had a platinum record in years, shit everyone in the G-Funk Era is over 30, so G-Funk would not connect with the mainstream.

For the West to comeback, it has to diversify, and I don't mean adopt some southern beats, but I mean in the G-Funk era you still had Ice Cube and Westside Connection being gangsta, you had Pharcyde, 2Pac with tracks like So Many Tears, Skee-Lo, Cypress Hill with more rough tracks that you just got stoned too instead of that smooth G-Funk sound. Yeah G-Funk drove the west, but what made the west the best coast was the diversity in the sound. G-Funk was smooth, Westcoast Gangsta was rough and raw, and then you still had people who were outside both sounds who put out original music and pure Hip-Hop.

FOC

• Muthafuckin' OG
  • Still Here Still Workin Still FMG/Blu Division/PMG
I have actually thought about this and went to try n make some gfunk type tracks but honestly nobody is trying to get tracks like that no more. I was always a HUGE fan of gfunk growing up (Warren G used to be one of my favorite producers) Here's an example of some gfunk shit I did with a live bass guitar player recently for fun.

http://www.zshare.net/audio/57898806381f8043/

I think people just need to worry moreso about making good music than just trying to go back to an old sound that frankly most look at as outdated. There are many timeless gfunk records though and I would like to see some more ppl go out there n try to experiment every now and then.
Who I'm Working with right now: Glasses Malone, Ya Boy, XO, Topic, Crooked I, Juice, Black, Big Fase 100, B-Fly, Greedy, Mack Maine

www.myspace.com/focbeats

http://twitter.com/FMGFocus

Dre-Day

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • No justice, no peace
Just had a thought....

Would the West be better off if producers went back to making 90s style beats? Yeah it sounds old in terms of years, but I mean just listening to some 90s albums and you can hear real street shit, real instruments (none of this Casio $100 keyboard sounding shit from the other coasts), and just bringing that old vibe back?

I just have this impression in my head that the 90s production (Johnny J, DJ Pooh, old school Daz, old school Quik) just sounds a whole lot more mature than the shit out now.

...or maybe im getting old lol.

It was a process till today. Now the industry say: "You beat must sound like Timbo or Lil John"! That's the problem! There is no creativity!

I agree.

But don't forget that even in the 90s it was the same to an extent. There were countless horrible-sounding 'g-funk' records, for example, from producers who didn't have a tenth of the talent of Dre, Daz or Quik, but who just thought 'I have to make a record that sounds like that!'

exactly, there were a lot of cheap imitations.

i like the G-funk sound but i hate copycats.
so no i don't think it should be brought "back" on a large scale.
besides, re-creating an old sound will eventually cause the sound to lose some of it's value.

i don't understand why some people want a much larger amount of producers to use the g-funk sound.
there are still a couple of producers, that use the sound (or references to it).
plus the old songs didn't disappear

so wouldn't it be better to build on top of an old sound, or to create a total different sound
« Last Edit: April 05, 2009, 12:57:01 PM by Dre-Day »

ironmike

• Muthafuckin' Don!
give it another 10-20 years before it comes back full circle. that shit is played out for now.

Naw thats wrong. In the past the musician changes the sound of the music. It was a process till today. Now the industry say: "You beat must sound like Timbo or Lil John"! That's the problem! There is no creativity!

co-signin jungleboy  ;)

it was a good sound, good sounds and musics are everlasting, but in hip hop/rap, bird minded people think the west's new beats are more "complex, superior, and evolved", not knowing you cant take a genre and completely change it and throw a new name on it and say its the same shit from the 90s, idiots......
real talk, the vine  ;)

I think both West & East need more 90's styles beats, even 80's....
Evrything now is just 75% baseline, 25% everything else. Music has no life to it at all now
true that. shyt is pityful.
just take a look at snoop's wck ass record "ego trippin" . that album makes you wanna barf, lol