Author Topic: Suge Knight  (Read 3162 times)

OG Hack Wilson

Re: Suge Knight
« Reply #105 on: April 22, 2009, 09:17:58 PM »
im just playing devils advocate

Suge helped raised things to another level for sure, best african american label owner ever (on paper, not in person)
Quote from: Now_I_Know on September 10, 2001, 04:19:36 PM
This guy aint no crip, and I'm 100% sure on that because he doesn't type like a crip, I know crips, and that fool is not a crip.

"I went from being homeless strung out on Dust to an 8 bedroom estate signed 2 1 of my fav rappers... Pump it up jokes can't hurt me."-- Mr. Joey Buddens

EFFeX

« Reply #106 on: April 22, 2009, 09:29:10 PM »
I don't know why I was thinking about this, but does Suge appear in one of those old Murder Inc videos or am I tripping? For some reason I remember that...

Jimmy H.

« Reply #107 on: April 22, 2009, 10:52:37 PM »
I think Death Row made Dr. Dre into a superstar. But when I say "Death Row", I don't mean just Suge Knight. I think the trio of Dre, Suge, and Snoop all made the early years of Death Row into what it was. I think without one, either of the other two might not have had what they did. I think Dre was arguably destined to be where he was though. The major labels knew what Dre had. There is a reason why Interscope scooped Death Row up from under Dick Griffey. There was a reason why Suge had as much power as he did. They were actually going to get an even better deal with Sony before questions began to come up about how Dre got his release from Ruthless.

As far as Pac, his career was where it was. Death Row or not, he was already a major superstar. I think Suge hit the lottery with that one.

Dre-Day

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • No justice, no peace
« Reply #108 on: April 22, 2009, 11:36:43 PM »
Since when did being known and producing a couple platinum albums mean your solo stuff is going to sell.I'm not saying dre would be some nobody because he already was somebody.but without suges help he would not be who he is today and that goes for everyone else on deathrow even 2PAC.pac sold records but when he hooked up with suge he was on another level.Death row was a hype machine all the drama suge stirred up garaunteed sales and backed up the gangsta image the rappers talked about.
I didn't say he wasn't but when he went to deathrow it took it to another level.just because dre was mentioned a bunch of times doesn't mean shit.why are people so hell bent in thinking suge wasn't instrumental in peoples careers.yes he did a lot of fucked up shit and he was the reason death row didn't last.But to just write off what he did is ignorant.I garauntee you ask the artists themselves they will tell you suge helped them tremendously.

"talking like they ruthless"

Blasphemy

« Reply #109 on: April 23, 2009, 01:13:08 AM »
The fact is Dr.dre would not have the career he has had without suge knight.If suge hadn't saved him then the chronic would never have happened or doggystyle for that matter.he would have just been another act on ruthless.
Just another act on Ruthless? Are you not aware that Dr. Dre was pretty big before DR?

LOL evidently he had never heard of the N.W.A. or their 2 hit albums

I got all 4 Hit albums   8)  Love em all (I know N.W.A and the Posse isn't a true N.W.A album, but it has some old school flavor)

Dr. Dre was huge in the game before Death Row (I think we all can agree, that Death Row had help make him bigger with The Chronic/Doggystyle and G-Funk). N.W.A was notorious back in the day. Everyone knew who they were. Straight Outta Compton (My first rap CD btw) was so fucking huge, Imagine if it had actually had Radio/video play. The beef with Ice Cube (Who brought even more attention to do Amerikkka's Most Wanted being some damn good) just brought more attention. Producing Above The Law's first album, C.I.A, N.W.A, Eazy E, DOC. Dr. Dre was well established before Death Row. We just know him Death Row commonly because The Chronic's production was just so ground breaking at the time. Now I a put on some of the artist/Albums I mention  8)

Jimmy H.

« Reply #110 on: April 23, 2009, 01:20:11 AM »
Well, Death Row also gave him his introduction as a solo act. Granted, he had a whole stable of young artists he was bringing in with him but he was the star name that was attached to it all. He was the superstar mentor who was introducing the next crop of stars. It was interesting because it was still very street like N.W.A but the sound was more laid back and the beats were becoming more smooth and melodic. Dre was flirting with this sound at Ruthless but he really perfected it when he got with The Dogg Pound.

Blasphemy

« Reply #111 on: April 23, 2009, 01:30:08 AM »
Well, Death Row also gave him his introduction as a solo act. Granted, he had a whole stable of young artists he was bringing in with him but he was the star name that was attached to it all. He was the superstar mentor who was introducing the next crop of stars. It was interesting because it was still very street like N.W.A but the sound was more laid back and the beats were becoming more smooth and melodic. Dre was flirting with this sound at Ruthless but he really perfected it when he got with The Dogg Pound.

I heard he didn't do any production of The Dogg Pound album.Dr. Dre had done production for the old C.I.A group (I have their album, which only contains 3 tracks lol,Sounding like the beasty boys). When he did the original N.W.A albums, his production was basic, and was so underground.EFIL4ZAGGIN showed how far he had came. The Chronic was just him at the top of his game. 2001 well, That was perfection. Hopefully Detox, will feature some new Technique.

Only thing I honestly don't want lol is him using The Atomic Dog sample anymore, He's used that shit to death. From The CHronic, Doggy style, to All Eyez XD I'm sorta wanting him to sample Zapp.Band is good, just imagined it Sampled, remixed and remastered :O

Jimmy H.

« Reply #112 on: April 23, 2009, 01:32:28 AM »
I didn't mean The Dogg Pound like the group, Daz & Kurupt. I meant the Dogg Pound like Snoop's crew.

jeromechickenbone

« Reply #113 on: April 23, 2009, 02:31:56 AM »
Suge was not responsible for Dre's success.  If Suge was responsible, cats like Crooked I, Eastwood, The Realist, etc would have been megastars. 

Compare Dre's track record w/ Suge:

Dre had World Class Wreckin Cru (Turn off the lights), JJ Fad (Supersonic...later Fergalicious hate it or love it, lol) NWA - Ice Cube, Eazy E (LEGENDARY), Snoop (LEGENDARY), Eminem (LEGENDARY), 50 (Biggest single of the century)...

Dre had MAD success for years before and after Suge.

Suge helped get him outta Ruthless and that's it.  If he was such a smart business man, he would have seen the value and genius in Dre and done everything he could to accomodate him and keep him on DR.

Suge was good at being a bully and getting into trouble.  That's it.  Stop giving him so much credit.  You think those executive producer credits mean shit?  He wasn't an artist at all.

Jaydc555

« Reply #114 on: April 23, 2009, 06:36:14 AM »
Well it was pretty obvious he was completely black balled from the industry after he got back from prison therefore he never had a chance.

OG Hack Wilson

« Reply #115 on: April 23, 2009, 06:53:55 AM »

I heard he didn't do any production of The Dogg Pound album.Dr. Dre had done production for the old C.I.A group (I have their album, which only contains 3 tracks lol,Sounding like the beasty boys). When he did the original N.W.A albums, his production was basic, and was so underground.EFIL4ZAGGIN showed how far he had came. The Chronic was just him at the top of his game. 2001 well, That was perfection. Hopefully Detox, will feature some new Technique.

Only thing I honestly don't want lol is him using The Atomic Dog sample anymore, He's used that shit to death. From The CHronic, Doggy style, to All Eyez XD I'm sorta wanting him to sample Zapp.Band is good, just imagined it Sampled, remixed and remastered :O

NWA's production basic?

LOL at the time it sure as fuck wasn't
Quote from: Now_I_Know on September 10, 2001, 04:19:36 PM
This guy aint no crip, and I'm 100% sure on that because he doesn't type like a crip, I know crips, and that fool is not a crip.

"I went from being homeless strung out on Dust to an 8 bedroom estate signed 2 1 of my fav rappers... Pump it up jokes can't hurt me."-- Mr. Joey Buddens

Blasphemy

« Reply #116 on: April 23, 2009, 09:00:17 AM »

NWA's production basic?

LOL at the time it sure as fuck wasn't

I'm talking about his N.W.A and the Posse n.w.a singles (they were still amazing) but 100 miles, Nigga4life, That's where his production really shined. Hell Niggaz4life production is way better then a lot of albums today (and more gangsta).The worse production I've seen was the C.I.A shit. lol If you hear that, That's basic.The 3 songs are OK gotta em on MP3, Music history lol

bigpimpin20

« Reply #117 on: April 24, 2009, 03:40:32 AM »
message 2 suge: money (is) over (you) bitch ;D

Jimmy H.

« Reply #118 on: April 07, 2012, 11:44:17 PM »
Well it was pretty obvious he was completely black balled from the industry after he got back from prison therefore he never had a chance.
He was on the covers of both The Source and XXL after his prison bid. He was getting interviewed by all the entertainment magazine TV shows like Entertainment Tonight. He was on Carson Daily's nationwide late night show on NBC. He got to go up on Hot 97 many times. He was on Howard Stern. He did the Wendy Williams show on VH1. All of those publications and programs reach hundreds of millions of people. He never used that time to promote projects.

Sir Petey

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • ♛ bitch I'm flawless ♛
« Reply #119 on: April 08, 2012, 09:04:35 PM »

eurowiggers run this board

someone from poland arguing with someone from germany over whos more of a blood gangmember and more GANG$TER

On a side note - I'm really tired of this eurowiggers and eurofags bullshit that's going on here.. As much as I like this forum, that particular subject is just fuckin' annoying! You got some problem dude with us being from the Europe and contributing to the topics featured on this board?

Everytime I read this bullshit makes me fuckin' sick!