Author Topic: Rick Ross Interview: The Thoughts Of a Boss  (Read 640 times)

Lunatic

Rick Ross Interview: The Thoughts Of a Boss
« on: April 19, 2009, 12:54:27 PM »
This is a BIG MOMENT for me ;D 8)

http://www.wordofsouth.com/online/?p=1613

WordofSouth.com: Do you feel as if “Deeper Than Rap” is your most personal album yet? The title of the project would suggest so.

Rick Ross: Yes it is.

WordofSouth.com: Why?

Rick Ross: Because I put more into the music.

WordofSouth.com: Ok. You went through a lot of character testing over the past few months. Was that the reason you felt it was necessary to make this album more personal than “Port of Miami” and “Trilla?”

Rick Ross: That could be the reason, that’s a good possibility. But I feel like with the growth of every album, you have to take them somewhere you haven’t been. I feel like to make a classic album and to continue making classic LP’s, you have to conitnue going places you haven’t been.

WordofSouth.com: Would you say that’s the main reasoning behind why you chose to title the album “Deeper Than Rap?”

Rick Ross: Most definitely. It was a lot of things that are deeper than entertainment.

WordofSouth.com: With all the drama going on with the CO photos leaking and the 50 Cent beef during the majority of the recordings for this album, what would you say was the biggest difference between the recording process of this album and your first two?

Rick Ross: I felt more important.

WordofSouth.com: Was that due to the success you are finally seeing?

Rick Ross: No. I just think like anybody else at a certain point, your confidence level goes through the roof and you begin to feel yourself. It’s safe to say I’m feeling myself.

WordofSouth.com: We don’t blame you because the album is in stores April 21st and it’s sure to be another hot seller.

Rick Ross: Yes it is. Make sure you get it and I want to thank everybody for their continued support. I’m gonna’ keep making hot music. I feel like that’s what I’m here for.

WordofSouth.com: No doubt. What’s your favorite song on the album and why?

Rick Ross: One of the funny things about me is I haven’t listened to my mastered album yet. When I make the music, there’s something real finniky with me, I can’t describe it. I make the music and when I love it and am happy with it, I put it away and don’t wanna’ hear it until it hits the stores and the people hear it.

WordofSouth.com: That’s pretty interesting.

Rick Ross: I wanna’ experience it with the fans.

WordofSouth.com: And is that why you do that? So you can experience what they feel?

Rick Ross: Exactly. I don’t wanna’ ride to the album a month before they do everytime I come out. I want it to be exiciting to me as well while I’m hearing it like them and when I perform it. I barely performed any new records off the album yet because I wanna’ wait until it’s out.

WordofSouth.com: I like that. You’re always known to have a great ear for beats, so do you have a particular favorite production on the album?

Rick Ross: When I got “Magnificent”, when I got the track, I thought the music was so beautiful so the title had to be beautiful. I had to make that a beautiful song. The writer in me has to figure out to connect the streets and get everybody on the same accord. I wanted to go in a different direction, I wanted to work with John Legend. I thought the concept would be dope and everything came to life.

WordofSouth.com: That plays perfectly into my next question. Why did you choose “Magnificent” as the lead single and what made you decide to work with John Legend as opposed to any other hook singer?

Rick Ross: Because at the time when I got the beat, I was listening to that “Green Light” record…is that the song John Legend sings?

WordofSouth.com: Yeah, with Andre 3000.

Rick Ross: That shit was so funky to me, I was like man, I felt like he was evolving as an artist and at the same time I felt like he had never really collaborated with a real street artist. I thought in that aspect it would be dope too.

WordofSouth.com: What happened to the collaboration with Mary J. Blige and the rumored diss track titled “Schindler’s List?” Why were they removed from the album?

Rick Ross: “Schindler’s List” is on my group album, the Triple C’s album.

WordofSouth.com: Ok, and what about the collaboration with Mary J. Blige?

Rick Ross: I got that in the vault baby. Whenever I feel like dropping a hit on a motherfucker, hello!

WordofSouth.com: (Laughs) no doubt. How come Lil Wayne was removed from “Valley of Death?”

Rick Ross: Because he was…did you hear ever Lil Wayne on “Valley of Death??

WordofSouth.com: No, but it was documented in certain articles that he was scheduled to appear on it.

Rick Ross: Nah, that was some mis-speculation because he was always on “Maybach Music 2.” I had that recorded for a nice little second now, but [lil] Wayne was never on “Valley of Death.” I keep hearing that in a lot of places so maybe one of these legendary DJ’s put together a classical blend.

WordofSouth.com: It must have been some mis-communication somewhere down the line.

Rick Ross: Yeah it may have.

WordofSouth.com: Are there any plans to release a mixtape with any leftover material?

Rick Ross: You know I’m going to continue to release new music but my priority right now is shifting towards the Carol City Cartel album which will be released soon on Maymach Music/Def Jam. The difference in this group album and other group albums is, I’m pouring everything into this project like it’s my own album. Like I said, “Schindler’s List” is on this album and it’s incredible. You can look for a lot more surprises.

WordofSouth.com: We’re going to get into the label and the Triple C’s album a little later, but first, I want to talk a bit more about the “Deeper Than Rap” album. There was one line that really caught my attention, quite the powerful line so I want you to expand your opinion on the statement you make with just a bit more detail. “I got 2 kids, and to feed ‘em I did 2 gigs, I shoveled shit, I CO’ed, so we can bow our heads over the meatloaf.” That’s a fantastic line so what are your thoughts on that? It’s pretty powerful in my opinion.

Rick Ross: It’s most definitely powerful. It’s talking about when it’s time for you to be a man, and being a man, you have to make sure you provide. That means that if I had to work at a baby circus scooping elephant shit to make sure mine ate, that’s what I’d do. Of course I rather get 100 kilo’s, but if I had to, I’m willing to do that.

WordofSouth.com: Nobody can hate on a mature decision.

Rick Ross: That’s what life is. I gotta’ make decisions so when I get old, I could live. I gotta’ make sure that if something happens to my mom, I can provide for her as she grows old. There’s certain things that we as men have to accept. Don’t look up when it’s time to provide health care for your parents and you have an excuse.

WordofSouth.com: I definitely agree with you on that. Why did you decide to take a shot at 50 [Cent] on “Mafia Music?” That’s where the beef started.

Rick Ross: Because he’s a monkey.

WordofSouth.com: Do you want to expand on that?

Rick Ross: Yeah – he’s a monkey that can’t dress. His music is no longer hot. I feel great being the one that defeated him.

WordofSouth.com:  What’s the current status of the beef? Is it nearing the end or is the hatred for one another still evident?

Rick Ross: I think as he witnessess my success, he’s grown more and more quiet. He used to consider himself the king of New York but by me having so many ties in New York, he’s dwindled it down to “you don’t come to Queens.” He’s a monkey. He’s not real.

WordofSouth.com: I don’t wanna’ waste too much time on the beef but I am going to ask you one more question on it. How do you feel about, and what do you think about all the work he’s doing with your ex-girlfriend and all the stuff he’s been doing on www.thisis50.com?

Rick Ross: I think at this point with his music career being over, he has to find a way to remain relevant and some way to have you guys mention his name in interviews. But we can all agree, he hasn’t been hot in years. We don’t miss him at the Grammy’s. For God sakes he had a reality show on MTV and they didn’t have the decency to allow him to finish one season. They clipped it in the middle. Wow! His poor clothing line. Did your boyfriends or fiancee ever wear those ugly tank tops that he used to wear when was on the ‘roids, the juice?

WordofSouth.com: I would see people wear it here and there.

Rick Ross: Your boys, did they ever wear the monkey shirts? You know what I’m talking about man. I can’t front, there’s a couple of dudes in Miami wearing them. It wasn’t none of my homeboys or none of my homies, but you may have seen a dude that doesn’t know what’s going on, caught one at Marshall’s.

WordofSouth.com: I’d see some here and there of course, you know what I mean?

Rick Ross: Most definitely. I feel like it was fun, but he’s boring me now. I’m moving on to this April 21st release date and then my squad, Triple C’s. I’m still going to disrespect him on all of my projects. You can always expect that.

WordofSouth.com: Tell us about the Maybach Music Group and what’s next in stores for them. Is it the Triple C’s album?

Rick Ross: Yeah, Triple C’s debut album is coming after “Deeper Than Rap.” I have an R&B artist that I’m working with by the name ofMasspike Miles that’s real hot right now. We’re gonna’ continue to make hot music.

WordofSouth.com: You mentioned pouring your all into the Triple C’s album as if it’s your own, does that mean we can expect you to hold a big role on the album and appear on every song?

Rick Ross: Yeah, you can most definitely expect me to have a big role.

WordofSouth.com: What kind of guest appearances and producers are you working with for that project?

Rick Ross: We stay on our grind and you can look for The Inkredibles, Justice League, shout out to Cool & Dre. Most definitely The Runners. The Olympics, look out for them because those boys are on fire. I was just at a party with jay-Z and Timbaland last week and Timbaland, we’re going to collaborate. Look for some surprises.

WordofSouth.com: I’m glad you mentioned Cool & Dre because some people wanted me to ask you about them and how come they’re not on the album. Are you still doing tracks with them? There’s no love lost?

Rick Ross: Nah, those are my brothers forever. The sound I have them making for this project is perfect. When you hear those drums like on “Chevy Ridin’ High”, those certain basses and all that, you can expect to see a lot more Cool & Dre on this project.

WordofSouth.com: The fans will be glad to hear that. What’s next up for Rick Ross? Are you going to be touring anytime soon?

Rick Ross: We’re trying to put a “Deeper Than Rap” tour right now. I was just on the phone with Jadakiss earlier today and a couple of other people. We have more time to orchestrate everything. Everything will fall into place and I’ll be a city near you.

WordofSouth.com: Will it be a worldwide tour or strictly USA?

Rick Ross: Most definitely around September I want to hit the UK like we did on the last album. We did like 12 stops overseas. We went to Germany and so on. I most definitely want to go back there.

WordofSouth.com: Why should people go cop “Deeper Than Rap” on April 21st?

Rick Ross: Because it’s the biggest and best album of the year.

WordofSouth.com: No doubt. Thanks a lot for your time Ross, we really appreciate it. Your on www.WordofSouth.com, do you have any last words or additional statements for us before I let you go?

Rick Ross: I want salute www.WordofSouth.com for being one of the hottest spots online. It’s one of the spots I fucks with. I want y’all to keep doing y’all thing and keep repping that real Hip-Hop music.

WordofSouth.com: We appreciate that Ross. You take care, and good luck with the album.

Rick Ross: Thank you my brother.

– INTERVIEW BY: Justin Melo
« Last Edit: April 19, 2009, 01:05:35 PM by Lunatic 63 »
Co-Director of Site Content For Raptalk.Net
Staff Writer For WordOfSouth.Com
Staff Writer For Illuminati2G.Net
Staff Writer For SoPrupRadio.com

Digital Pimpin'

Re: Rick Ross Interview: The Thoughts Of a Boss
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2009, 01:01:56 PM »
Great interview 8)

Ross is in denial over 50 destroying him tho.

Blood$

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2009, 01:34:58 PM »
WordofSouth.com: Why did you decide to take a shot at 50 [Cent] on “Mafia Music?”

LMAO... nice interview though, and I thought the new album was dope minus like 2 songs

J.E.

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2009, 01:39:41 PM »
Great interview.

I have to say that eventhough it seemed that 50 was killing Ross with all the videos & shit, music is what kept Ross alive since 50 ain't dropping any good music at the moment. And both of his singles kinda sucked too(except the production). Ross' album isn't great but it's still a good album and has only few weak songs.

• Muthafuckin' Double OG
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2009, 01:41:44 PM »
good read.. thanks!

that part about 50 was hilarious

Lunatic

« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2009, 01:43:36 PM »
thanks for all the feedback! keep it coming..

ya, the 50 shit was hilarious :laugh:

NillerTheKid

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2009, 01:53:27 PM »
WordofSouth.com: Why did you decide to take a shot at 50 [Cent] on “Mafia Music?”

that had me laughing so hard  :P
See these fans can't resist the rush,
they Wu-Tang for life
Scarred for life,
they can't forget the cuts

Cali Climate

« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2009, 01:54:28 PM »

that had me laughing so hard  :P

yeah me too actually. sort of a 'wtf?'

R1ZE

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Do 4 Love
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2009, 02:07:59 PM »
WordofSouth.com: I definitely agree with you on that. Why did you decide to take a shot at 50 [Cent] on “Mafia Music?” That’s where the beef started.

Rick Ross: He’s a monkey. He’s not real.

WordofSouth.com: How do you feel about, and what do you think about all the work he’s doing with your ex-girlfriend and all the stuff he’s been doing on www.thisis50.com?

Rick Ross: I think at this point with his music career being over, he has to find a way to remain relevant and some way to have you guys mention his name in interviews. But we can all agree, he hasn’t been hot in years. We don’t miss him at the Grammy’s. For God sakes he had a reality show on MTV and they didn’t have the decency to allow him to finish one season. They clipped it in the middle. Wow! His poor clothing line. Did your boyfriends or fiancee ever wear those ugly tank tops that he used to wear when was on the ‘roids, the juice?

Rick Ross: Most definitely. I feel like it was fun, but he’s boring me now. I’m moving on to this April 21st release date and then my squad, Triple C’s. I’m still going to disrespect him on all of my projects. You can always expect that.

do you feel the irony?

and wtf, why did he ask you about your boyfriends or fiancee?  :laugh:

Lunatic

« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2009, 02:13:37 PM »
^LMAO there's actually a really funny story that goes along with that :laugh:  let's just say i took that "boyfriends or fiancee" thing the way u did..i cut it out the interview though..

D-Nice

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I Made Jesus Walks/So I Ain't Never Going To Hell
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2009, 02:52:43 PM »
Nice interview. Although I agree on 50 winning this "beef", Ross has continued to put out music. The real proof will be come Tuesday once the album drops if people will support him still and these pics and this bio book comes out. I say if he does 175-250k 1st week then he is doin ok.

Lunatic

« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2009, 03:09:11 PM »
^the album will sell 170K at least first week i think

westsiderider323

« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2009, 03:09:29 PM »
i wanna see Eminem kill this bitch ass faggot

dubsmith_nz

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2009, 03:30:31 PM »
Handled the interview real professionaly homie, no dick riding at all. Good shit, specially regarding the clothes "I see them here and there"

R1ZE

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Do 4 Love
« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2009, 03:52:27 PM »
if Ross is gonna be concerned with looks to the point of dissing people over it, you'd think he'd lose some weight first