Author Topic: Dikembe Mutombo retiring after Portland injury  (Read 209 times)

Halu Sination

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Halu Sination
Dikembe Mutombo retiring after Portland injury
« on: April 22, 2009, 02:02:10 AM »
PORTLAND, Ore. -- Houston Rockets center Dikembe Mutombo said his lengthy career is finished after a knee injury knocked him out of the Rockets' playoff game Tuesday night against the Trail Blazers.

"For me, basketball is over," he said.

Mutombo, an 18-year NBA veteran, appeared to get tangled with Portland center Greg Oden and came down hard on his left leg late in the first quarter of Game 2.

He stayed prone on the court under the Blazers' basket for several moments before he was taken away by stretcher. A preliminary examination revealed a knee strain and he was ruled out the rest of the game.

Afterward in Houston's locker room, the 7-foot-2 veteran was on crutches and fighting back tears.

"Nobody ever thought they'd be carrying the big guy out like a wounded soldier," he said.

The 42-year-old will be examined by doctors in Houston on Wednesday.

Mutombo is an eight-time All-Star who won the NBA's Defensive Player of the Year award four times and stands in second on the NBA's career blocks list with 3,289. He has played for Denver, Atlanta, Philadelphia, New Jersey, New York and Houston.

Mutombo played 18 minutes in Game 1 of the series and had nine rebounds. The Rockets won the opener, 108-81, before the Blazers evened the series with a 107-103 victory on Tuesday.

"I've had a wonderful 18 years of staying injury-free, so I just want to go out with my head up, no regrets," he said.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/playoffs/2009/news/story?id=4087774

S P I C E

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • LOOK WHO'S BACK
Re: Dikembe Mutombo retiring after Portland injury
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2009, 02:09:48 AM »
 :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(

DIP DIP SET SET

OG Hack Wilson

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2009, 09:55:19 AM »
i'm not too shocked...that looked serious

if he had went to the Celtics then KG wouldn't have been injured and he'd be on his way to a championship ;)
Quote from: Now_I_Know on September 10, 2001, 04:19:36 PM
This guy aint no crip, and I'm 100% sure on that because he doesn't type like a crip, I know crips, and that fool is not a crip.

"I went from being homeless strung out on Dust to an 8 bedroom estate signed 2 1 of my fav rappers... Pump it up jokes can't hurt me."-- Mr. Joey Buddens

'EclipZe

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2009, 11:50:11 AM »
the ending of a great player/individual.

east bay funk

• Muthafuckin' OG
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2009, 03:51:08 PM »
no one flys in the eyes of mutumbo

Citizen-Y

« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2009, 04:43:36 PM »

Don Jacob

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • don status, bitch
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2009, 07:38:40 PM »
one hell of a run.

R.I.P.  To my Queen and Princess 07-05-09

Now_Im_Not_Banned

« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2009, 11:05:03 PM »
bad way to go out, but dude was definitely resilient just to be a main factor of a playoff team in the west at the age of 42.

tempo2

« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2009, 05:30:28 AM »
^^ yep definatley, also he deserves huge respect for the impact his had outside of basketball too.

OG Hack Wilson

« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2009, 05:39:47 AM »
^^ yep definatley, also he deserves huge respect for the impact his had outside of basketball too.

building a hospital, being fucking tall

dudes a legend
Quote from: Now_I_Know on September 10, 2001, 04:19:36 PM
This guy aint no crip, and I'm 100% sure on that because he doesn't type like a crip, I know crips, and that fool is not a crip.

"I went from being homeless strung out on Dust to an 8 bedroom estate signed 2 1 of my fav rappers... Pump it up jokes can't hurt me."-- Mr. Joey Buddens

tempo2

« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2009, 06:38:24 AM »
^^ nice try to bait me

jeromechickenbone

« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2009, 10:13:27 AM »
It's bad enough that Greg Oden sucks.  Now he just ended the career of one of the all time greats.