Author Topic: Jerkin: The biggest "movement" L.A. has seen this decade, hands down....  (Read 2400 times)

Al Bundy

I just listened to this song on youtube. This shit ain't gonna start no west coast movement. Its just another extension of the hyphy movement. Just another song to put a dance to.

the hyphy movement has nothing to do with jerkin. two totally different areas of cali with their own style.

R-Tistic

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • DJ R-Tistic....L.A.'s Favorite
I just listened to this song on youtube. This shit ain't gonna start no west coast movement. Its just another extension of the hyphy movement. Just another song to put a dance to.

the hyphy movement has nothing to do with jerkin. two totally different areas of cali with their own style.

Music wise, I'll say Jerkin is a direct descendant of Hyphy...but dance wise, fashion wise, slang, and all else, it is very different.

Al Bundy

Music wise, I'll say Jerkin is a direct descendant of Hyphy...but dance wise, fashion wise, slang, and all else, it is very different.

exactly.

Triple OG Rapsodie

Personally, it's not about the sound really starting a movement that's gonna have a major impact...as I said, it's the biggest "LOCAL" sound that we've had...I don't think people get that, but I'm not surprised...why? Because we've NEVER had a f'kin local sound!

umm....G Funk?

I'm from the bay. Its the exact same sound. Only diff is they say jerkin in the hook.

R-Tistic

• Muthafuckin' Don!

Personally, it's not about the sound really starting a movement that's gonna have a major impact...as I said, it's the biggest "LOCAL" sound that we've had...I don't think people get that, but I'm not surprised...why? Because we've NEVER had a f'kin local sound!

umm....G Funk?

This isn't what I mean by "local" sound...G-Funk ended up becoming nationwide, and everybody from the other coasts were on it as well. With a "local" sound...I'm really speaking more about the kind of sound that is major in one city or state, but will usually only have a few major songs to come out, if any, that have that same sound. G-Funk was too major to be seen as "local"...and this definitely isn't gonna be anything near what G-Funk was.

Xyz

• Lil Geezy
  • gfunk4life
Ya Boy feat. Goon Squad - Whats Jerkin

http://www.zshare.net/audio/59139866fe02e194/

R-Tistic

• Muthafuckin' Don!
thats waz up
again from a few spins of listenin to this "new movement of muzik-its new to me) im not feelin it
but if it sells, i guess whoevers behind it, go head and push it
but at the end of the day, what will bring this coast back is str8 bangers from wc, ice cube, xzibit
for example
back in 2000 when xzibit did the whole x marked the spot movement (haha jus named it that)
aite he had 3 singles
1.x
2.front 2 back
3.get your walk on

aite right there you got 3 bangers, to me they were 3 anthems by 1 rapper from this coast.  they werent 100% gangsta but they were bangin
get your walk on, i mean i seen and watched cats all over the world do the c-walk to that shit.
so we had muffuccaz from different regions doin what he had initially put out there as song.  of course nwa, king t, wc, cubes, mack 10's etc.. did it years before, but that era was crazy for us and fresh
and that sound is still fresh
so bottomline i think that sound/movement needs to be brought back wit todays sound, and it can be done.
wc's last album is a example of what im talkin about.

Well here's the thing that I think is crazy...these kids who are doin this Jerkin are not even thinkin about "bringin the West back" or thinkin about the "West Coast" in general. From all the songs I've heard, I haven't heard a single one mention the "West Coast"...and when I think about it, it's even crazier that these kids are 14-18...meaning that they weren't even here when we were on top...most of em were born AFTER "Nothin but a G Thang" LOL! So to them, they don't have any sort of West Coast pride, and didn't grow up on that sound...and ironically, that may be the reason that their sound will end up getting more attention nationwide than anything reminiscent of what most of us older fans love.

I think it's all a gift and a curse, and I'm looking more at the long run than what's going on at this moment. Most of these songs and artists sound VERY unpolished, and most of the songs don't have much of a lasting appeal at all...and it all sounds like Hyphy and other music we've heard before...but this time, the dance is more important than the music, which is the reason ATL got major...and the thing about dancing is that it is universal and will attract more people of all ages, races, and from all regions, than music alone seems to do. What I hope is that they evolve the music to where it is legit and where the youngsters feel as if they have to still be able to rap good as hell, along with having great production, versus just putting out the cookie cutter songs they are puttin out now.

R-Tistic

• Muthafuckin' Don!

I'm from the bay. Its the exact same sound. Only diff is they say jerkin in the hook.

The sound is the same...but the culture outside of it is a lot different.

dj smeeze

• Muthafuckin' OG
  • inDAstreets BAYMAAC - ORIGINAL D/A RIDA
niggaz been jerkin out here for about 2 years now, Problems I'm Toe Up is a big Jerkn song...as far as going nation wide Spider & Crash gotta a group outta carson called Team Legit and they have a song called turnt up and i think they got a big deal for them! but yeah the jerkin movement is about to blow up, you can't deny it
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/WJ9LVfNXDj0&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1&amp;" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/WJ9LVfNXDj0&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1&amp;</a> <a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/LTUQDASKZZA&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1&amp;" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/LTUQDASKZZA&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1&amp;</a>

R-Tistic

• Muthafuckin' Don!
niggaz been jerkin out here for about 2 years now, Problems I'm Toe Up is a big Jerkn song...as far as going nation wide Spider & Crash gotta a group outta carson called Team Legit and they have a song called turnt up and i think they got a big deal for them! but yeah the jerkin movement is about to blow up, you can't deny it

Yeah, the songs didn't get big til the end of last year. Problem's track is major, it's a liiil old now but it still works and I still play it a whole lot.

I honestly think it's somethin that you have to be in L.A. to understand...and you have to be around certain crowds to get it. I wouldn't expect a lot of the online fans to see the potential in it. I think the dancin culture has more potential than most of the music that's goin with it right now.

LodiDodi

• Muthafuckin' OG
Thanks to Youtube and even Myspace...the Jerkin movement here is easily the biggest local sound and culture that L.A. has seen since Gangsta Rap, and that's without question. Even though it's only in L.A. right now, and may not even blow up nationwide, we've always lacked a regional style of party/club music linked with a dance and fashion style/culture.

The main song that's leadin the movement is "You're a jerk," which is the only song most people outside of L.A. have heard. There are about 20-30 songs that the young crowd here loves, and this is all they listen to and care for right now. While most West Coast rap fans are into the new artists and the ones we've been discussin for 4-5 years, along with the legends, the kids here don't care about any of that...they love these songs that are comin from people that go to their high school, that sound VERY amateurish and unpolished. Although all of the songs they love obviously lack the musicianship and creativity that much of our earlier music had, it has the energy and bounce needed to work for the dances and everything that goes along with it.

At this point, I have very mixed feelings about it....the sound is nothing but an obvious offspring of Hyphy, and it has a slight Tampa Bay, Florida influence to it as well. None of the songs I've heard sound like anything I haven't heard before, and most of the rappers are average and below...but they have that L.A. local flow that I thought had been forgotten about. The fact that these kids have made it big without any radio or TV is amazing to me...and it's funny that these HS kids with NO deal, no mentor, and no major connections or relatives are getting WAY MORE requests and love than the numerous signed/unsigned acts we've spent the last few years talking about. They definitely need to evolve it, because all of the songs sound the exact same, and none of them are as strong as the strongest Hyphy tracks were.

Here are the main songs the 21 and under crowd out here are goin hardest on.......
New Boyz - You're a jerk

Pink Dollaz - Never hungry

Pheo - Hot chick

Cold Flamez - Miss me kiss me

Tay F. 3rd - Conceited

Tay F. 3rd - Eastside step

Vixen Ent - Toot my shit

Vixen Ent. - I need that

D-Lo - No hoe (Bay artist)

- Remix ft. E-40

Videos of the kids dancin to it....

I wonder if Snoop will do a jerkin song...if so, this will probably make some noise, just as Hyphy did when 40 and Short used hyphy tracks for their main singles. I can even predict that Snoop's first single for his next album will be a jerkin type of song...even "Drop it like it's hot" had the same feel/vibe as a lot of these songs do.

Awesome, I love hearing new fads where all the songs sound the same.... ::)

LodiDodi

• Muthafuckin' OG
That jerking style of dancing looks like a mixture of skipping, running in place, that Russian dance where they cross their arms and squat down kicking their feet out repeatedly, and Riverdance

The music is no different than if hyphy and snap music had a one night stand and drank all through pregnancy...and out of it came jerkin dance

LodiDodi

• Muthafuckin' OG

Yeah, the songs didn't get big til the end of last year. Problem's track is major, it's a liiil old now but it still works and I still play it a whole lot.

I honestly think it's somethin that you have to be in L.A. to understand...and you have to be around certain crowds to get it. I wouldn't expect a lot of the online fans to see the potential in it. I think the dancin culture has more potential than most of the music that's goin with it right now.
No way does I'm Toe Up sound remotely close to any of the garbage examples posted.  Only one I can tolerate is "You're A Jerk"

Cali Climate

Not related, but R-Tistic, any chance of a re-up for your mixtape? The zshare link says its expired.

R-Tistic

• Muthafuckin' Don!

No way does I'm Toe Up sound remotely close to any of the garbage examples posted.  Only one I can tolerate is "You're A Jerk"

I didn't say it "sounded" the same, I said it WORKS...LOL you came in here tryin to stir up some shit, I dig it.