Author Topic: Jerkin: The biggest "movement" L.A. has seen this decade, hands down....  (Read 2306 times)

R-Tistic

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • DJ R-Tistic....L.A.'s Favorite
Thanks to Youtube and even Myspace...the Jerkin movement here is easily the biggest local sound and culture that L.A. has seen since Gangsta Rap, and that's without question. Even though it's only in L.A. right now, and may not even blow up nationwide, we've always lacked a regional style of party/club music linked with a dance and fashion style/culture.

The main song that's leadin the movement is "You're a jerk," which is the only song most people outside of L.A. have heard. There are about 20-30 songs that the young crowd here loves, and this is all they listen to and care for right now. While most West Coast rap fans are into the new artists and the ones we've been discussin for 4-5 years, along with the legends, the kids here don't care about any of that...they love these songs that are comin from people that go to their high school, that sound VERY amateurish and unpolished. Although all of the songs they love obviously lack the musicianship and creativity that much of our earlier music had, it has the energy and bounce needed to work for the dances and everything that goes along with it.

At this point, I have very mixed feelings about it....the sound is nothing but an obvious offspring of Hyphy, and it has a slight Tampa Bay, Florida influence to it as well. None of the songs I've heard sound like anything I haven't heard before, and most of the rappers are average and below...but they have that L.A. local flow that I thought had been forgotten about. The fact that these kids have made it big without any radio or TV is amazing to me...and it's funny that these HS kids with NO deal, no mentor, and no major connections or relatives are getting WAY MORE requests and love than the numerous signed/unsigned acts we've spent the last few years talking about. They definitely need to evolve it, because all of the songs sound the exact same, and none of them are as strong as the strongest Hyphy tracks were.

Here are the main songs the 21 and under crowd out here are goin hardest on.......
New Boyz - You're a jerk

Pink Dollaz - Never hungry

Pheo - Hot chick

Cold Flamez - Miss me kiss me

Tay F. 3rd - Conceited

Tay F. 3rd - Eastside step

Vixen Ent - Toot my shit

Vixen Ent. - I need that

D-Lo - No hoe (Bay artist)

- Remix ft. E-40

Videos of the kids dancin to it....

I wonder if Snoop will do a jerkin song...if so, this will probably make some noise, just as Hyphy did when 40 and Short used hyphy tracks for their main singles. I can even predict that Snoop's first single for his next album will be a jerkin type of song...even "Drop it like it's hot" had the same feel/vibe as a lot of these songs do.

« Last Edit: April 28, 2009, 08:15:33 AM by R-Tistic »

you gon always be my latin queen bitch

• Muthafuckin' Don!
damn i am startin to hear bout this whole jerk shit
but you didnt mention ya boy, who has a song whats jerkin or something and k-boy who has his jerk
does that count?
damn u still havent logged off...ur hurting everyone with all this wack shit u drop, it hurts more then getting the swine flu
Tue, Mar 16, 2010 at 8:15 AM By: Ice Cube
Me and Mack 10 together again? I never say never, but he has the kiss the ring first.
Cube
gbee:@ Petey: you sound like a broken record, time to grow up.

R-Tistic

• Muthafuckin' Don!
damn i am startin to hear bout this whole jerk shit
but you didnt mention ya boy, who has a song whats jerkin or something and k-boy who has his jerk
does that count?

Well those songs haven't made any kinda noise here as of yet. I think Ya Boy's COULD, it has much more of a Jerkin feel than K-Boy's...it's similar to Hyphy, where a lot of Bay artists made songs where they'd say "hyphy" on it, but the beat wouldn't move the crowd or work for the dances.

• Muthafuckin' Don!
damn aite
k-boy's one is aite, but its not his best work
and ya boy's whats jerkin is what everyone else is doin in the bay as far as sound goes IMO
be interestin to see how this takes off
so la heads are doin this?
(i aint never heard noone bumpin this anywhere in killa kali-yet that is)
damn u still havent logged off...ur hurting everyone with all this wack shit u drop, it hurts more then getting the swine flu
Me and Mack 10 together again? I never say never, but he has the kiss the ring first.
Cube

soopadoopaflykid

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Iguess
yea honestly this is what is goin bring back LA to the spotlight once again..This new song by New Boyz - Your A Jerk is blowin up outside of LA and has reached other regions like mine for example..Im not much a big fan of the jerkin cuz like R-Tistic said it sounds unpolished and a bit ameture ish but it has what LA has been missin for the longest time and thats some danceable music

Al Bundy

ya boy's jerkin is not a representation of what the bay sounds like.

d-lo's no hoe is a slapper except for the fact dude can't rhyme worth shit. the remix is tolerable

oh well, 90% of dubcc doesn't give a shit about music after 1996

R-Tistic

• Muthafuckin' Don!
damn aite
k-boy's one is aite, but its not his best work
and ya boy's whats jerkin is what everyone else is doin in the bay as far as sound goes IMO
be interestin to see how this takes off
so la heads are doin this?
(i aint never heard noone bumpin this anywhere in killa kali-yet that is)

Yeah, I mean jerkin is really like 80% Bay to me...nothin about it is L.A., and none of it has really outgrown or evolved from the Bay song. Two of the songs they like are the exact same beat as Candy, they just looped it and rapped about jerkin to it.

This is ALLLL the L.A. heads do now, especially the younger ones...no more clown dancin, no more crip/clown walk, unless you with an older crowd. If you do a HS event, these are the only songs they ask for...barely any Wayne, Snoop, old school, or anything else, just Jerkin songs. The older heads are on it a bit too, and you are hearin "You're a jerk" in the 21+ clubs all the time now, but none of the other songs crossed over yet. Even the 30, 40+ are doin the dances with their kids, it's kinda funny, LOL.

Aside from those songs, the biggest songs for these crowds/dances are....
E-40 ft. Too Short - Sliding down the pole
D4L - Scotty (Geeked up)
Khia - Look back at it; K-Wang
3 Deep - Watch my shoes
The Pack - Light that shit

R-Tistic

• Muthafuckin' Don!
yea honestly this is what is goin bring back LA to the spotlight once again..This new song by New Boyz - Your A Jerk is blowin up outside of LA and has reached other regions like mine for example..Im not much a big fan of the jerkin cuz like R-Tistic said it sounds unpolished and a bit ameture ish but it has what LA has been missin for the longest time and thats some danceable music

Basically so...because everybody from around the country who's seen it has been on it too, especially the club heads and anybody who likes to party.

I know many "true" L.A. heads aren't gonna like it much, but I just feel this needs to evolve and become stronger and more solid to where it isn't just a fad that sounds wack in a few years. A lot of the hyphy tracks that came out STILL sound amazing and as dope as they did when they dropped, such as the ones from Short, Federation, Keak...but some of the smaller hits sound wack now.

• Muthafuckin' Don!
yeah im not a big fan of the whole hyphy movement and that sound
and this, well it sounds different
im not sure this is the sound this coast is lookin for to bring it back
Cube

Al Bundy

better than listening to grandpa talk about gfunk when it's been dead for near 13 years

R-Tistic

• Muthafuckin' Don!

Hyphy had great moments to me.

This isn't the sound most of us are lookin for, but it's more than just the music...the dancing involved is really the most important thing here. With the clown/krump movement, that was VERY strong, but it had NO music to go along with it, which was a major mistake. With this here, the dances are accessible and somethin that people nationwide could get into, and that is good and bad...it could be seen as just a fad, but it's time that we had something completely different and just fun.

I really just want some of our main producers to take the backbone of this and re-package it...they don't have to make it funky or anything like that, but just somethin similar to how Rick Rock and Lil Jon made some amazing beats durin the Hyphy movement.

blackwallguerilla

• Muthafuckin' Double OG

better than listening to grandpa talk about gfunk when it's been dead for near 13 years

Co-fucking sign! Ol' heads are boring me with that bullshit

I was skeptical at first but if Jerkin is what the ppl want then Jerkin is what they get

I hope Ya Boy's joint pops off cos dude is a good rapper at the end of the day!

• Muthafuckin' Don!
thats waz up
again from a few spins of listenin to this "new movement of muzik-its new to me) im not feelin it
but if it sells, i guess whoevers behind it, go head and push it
but at the end of the day, what will bring this coast back is str8 bangers from wc, ice cube, xzibit
for example
back in 2000 when xzibit did the whole x marked the spot movement (haha jus named it that)
aite he had 3 singles
1.x
2.front 2 back
3.get your walk on

aite right there you got 3 bangers, to me they were 3 anthems by 1 rapper from this coast.  they werent 100% gangsta but they were bangin
get your walk on, i mean i seen and watched cats all over the world do the c-walk to that shit.
so we had muffuccaz from different regions doin what he had initially put out there as song.  of course nwa, king t, wc, cubes, mack 10's etc.. did it years before, but that era was crazy for us and fresh
and that sound is still fresh
so bottomline i think that sound/movement needs to be brought back wit todays sound, and it can be done.
wc's last album is a example of what im talkin about.
Cube

Jynxx

• Muthafuckin' OG
  • Hip Hop Producer/Artist
isn't Pheo from the I.E?

acgrundy

that is sad that it is the biggest movement seen this decade considering I live in sacramento and have no clue what you are talking about or who any of those "rappers" are.  Yet I still don't feel like I am missing out...