Author Topic: Deathrow owner Lara Lavi Talks 1st release (Chronic), fans leaking Tupac songs..  (Read 2990 times)

JohnnyL

I don't see how a Chronic re-release would have any impact (good or bad) on a potential "Detox" release, provided they release it in a time-frame reasonably close to what they stated in the interview.  If the album really does drop in June (or thereabouts), there is no way that will come even close to the time-frame that Dre is looking at for dropping "Detox."  While I don't believe anyone knows for sure when Dr. Dre is going to release "Detox,"  I think we can all be reasonably certain that it will not come out in the next month or two.  As far as the inclusion of the unreleased material, I don't think Lara Lavi would have mentioned it if she wasn't fairly certain that it could be included.
 I know that Dre is reputed to be a perfectionist, but we don't even know for sure what these previously unreleased tracks are.  We don't necessarily know that these tracks were cut from "The Chronic" because Dre didn't like them.  I think there has already been one interview with Lara Lavi and John Payne where one of them mentioned that some of the material cut from "The Chronic" was cut, not for being sub-par material, but merely because they already had enough at that point, for a full-length album.   
 I really do think that Dre's objections to this sort of stuff in the past had more to do with the poor relationship between himself and Suge.  Not to mention that in the past when it was an issue, Suge wanted to remix Dre's old songs and add artists from the then-current Death Row roster to the tracks.  And to add insult to injury, it was for inclusion on an album that was basically stealing the title from Dre's then-upcoming album.

haha that was kind of funny but at the same time Suge was just acting like a child, The fact that he spent most of the rows later days trying to mess with the sales of former artist was pretty pathetic and childish. I mean I got a lot of respect for Suge and just about anything Death Row but I just can't wrap my head around why he thought releasing things like the Chronic 2000 (which for the record did not need to be a double album with all that trash maybe there was enough good tracks on there for one album), Dead Man Walking, and Dogg Pound 2002. From outside perspective he was really just saying he wasn't shit without those guys because all he could do was put out their unreleased shit when they left. Just a bad look.

Yeah. Lol.  I have to agree with you on that point.  It was pretty childish.  It did sometimes make for some good entertainment (Some of the old Death Row website antics were hilarious), but overall, it probably did just hurt the company.

kuruptlon

I don't see how a Chronic re-release would have any impact (good or bad) on a potential "Detox" release, provided they release it in a time-frame reasonably close to what they stated in the interview.  If the album really does drop in June (or thereabouts), there is no way that will come even close to the time-frame that Dre is looking at for dropping "Detox."  While I don't believe anyone knows for sure when Dr. Dre is going to release "Detox,"  I think we can all be reasonably certain that it will not come out in the next month or two.  As far as the inclusion of the unreleased material, I don't think Lara Lavi would have mentioned it if she wasn't fairly certain that it could be included.
 I know that Dre is reputed to be a perfectionist, but we don't even know for sure what these previously unreleased tracks are.  We don't necessarily know that these tracks were cut from "The Chronic" because Dre didn't like them.  I think there has already been one interview with Lara Lavi and John Payne where one of them mentioned that some of the material cut from "The Chronic" was cut, not for being sub-par material, but merely because they already had enough at that point, for a full-length album.   
 I really do think that Dre's objections to this sort of stuff in the past had more to do with the poor relationship between himself and Suge.  Not to mention that in the past when it was an issue, Suge wanted to remix Dre's old songs and add artists from the then-current Death Row roster to the tracks.  And to add insult to injury, it was for inclusion on an album that was basically stealing the title from Dre's then-upcoming album.

haha that was kind of funny but at the same time Suge was just acting like a child, The fact that he spent most of the rows later days trying to mess with the sales of former artist was pretty pathetic and childish. I mean I got a lot of respect for Suge and just about anything Death Row but I just can't wrap my head around why he thought releasing things like the Chronic 2000 (which for the record did not need to be a double album with all that trash maybe there was enough good tracks on there for one album), Dead Man Walking, and Dogg Pound 2002. From outside perspective he was really just saying he wasn't shit without those guys because all he could do was put out their unreleased shit when they left. Just a bad look.

Yeah. Lol.  I have to agree with you on that point.  It was pretty childish.  It did sometimes make for some good entertainment (Some of the old Death Row website antics were hilarious), but overall, it probably did just hurt the company.

Refresh my memory, I used to check out the website and I definitely remember some stuff but its been awhile (most memorably the crooked i drop which was sick).

JohnnyL

Refresh my memory, I used to check out the website and I definitely remember some stuff but its been awhile (most memorably the crooked i drop which was sick).

Well, like when Death Row put up Snoops "Last Meal" album up for free download.  They said they did it so you could compare it to the "Dead Man Walkin'" album to see which one you thought was better.  But they only put "Dead Man Walkin'" up in "real audio" format while they put "Last Meal" up in mp3.  Then, later they did the same thing to Daz, putting his "DPGC: You Know What I'm Throwin' Up" album up for download in mp3.  (Daz kinda got them back though, by posting the entire "Dyzfunktional Family" soundtrack up for free download.  They also posted a lot of graphics on their homepage where they took shots at Dre, Snoop, and others.  There was one where they openly invited Jayo Felony to sign to Death Row so he could help them "ride on" the former inmates (evidently Jayo had voiced some kind of disapproval with one or more of Snoop or Dre's entourage at the time-can't remember what that was all about.)  They had one opening graphic where they made fun of Snoop, Dre and Jermain Dupri for pre-taping their performances for that years "Source Awards," citing that those artists where afraid to go to the actual ceremony because they might run into Tha Row artists.  There were several others...I remember one particular dissing Snoop had a cartoon dog barking.  Then you heard gunshots and a dog making a "yelping" sound.  I can't remember everything, but that's some.

Jimmy H.

The Jayo situation was he made comments about Snoop. Death Row pretty much quoted the comments he used and then said they wanted him to come fuck with the label. Nothing came of it though it started this annoying trend among Death Row groupies where anytime someone dissed Dre, Eminem, or Snoop, they immediately just assumed they were a free agent and could sign with Tha Row. The funniest example being someone saying that they should sign Limp Bizkit after Eminem released that "Girls" diss track.

As far as Dre and his old work, I wouldn't say it's impossible for a deal to be made. The circumstances surrounding the unreleased Dre material in 1998-99 were much different. Death Row was putting out a "Chronic 2000" album which was Dre's planned album title. They were adding new artists in who Dre didn't work with or produce in any way, altering the music he created. There were still heavy legal disputes between the two and Suge was very vocal in dissing Dre at that point. Dre was reportedly not seeing proper royalties for his publishing as well. I think a new group changes the scenerio a little bit. It's still not a guarantee of anything but the hostile history isn't there with Lara Lavi so he'd at least be more open to the discussion. 

J$crILLa

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • J$crilla -aka- JDolla$iGn -aka- $crillVille
would love to see 2pac material released how he created it but i dont know if that will ever be possible

kuruptlon

Well, like when Death Row put up Snoops "Last Meal" album up for free download.  They said they did it so you could compare it to the "Dead Man Walkin'" album to see which one you thought was better.  But they only put "Dead Man Walkin'" up in "real audio" format while they put "Last Meal" up in mp3.  Then, later they did the same thing to Daz, putting his "DPGC: You Know What I'm Throwin' Up" album up for download in mp3.  (Daz kinda got them back though, by posting the entire "Dyzfunktional Family" soundtrack up for free download.  They also posted a lot of graphics on their homepage where they took shots at Dre, Snoop, and others.  There was one where they openly invited Jayo Felony to sign to Death Row so he could help them "ride on" the former inmates (evidently Jayo had voiced some kind of disapproval with one or more of Snoop or Dre's entourage at the time-can't remember what that was all about.)  They had one opening graphic where they made fun of Snoop, Dre and Jermain Dupri for pre-taping their performances for that years "Source Awards," citing that those artists where afraid to go to the actual ceremony because they might run into Tha Row artists.  There were several others...I remember one particular dissing Snoop had a cartoon dog barking.  Then you heard gunshots and a dog making a "yelping" sound.  I can't remember everything, but that's some.

lol I remember that shit thanks for refreshing my memory