Author Topic: Deathrow owner Lara Lavi Talks 1st release (Chronic), fans leaking Tupac songs..  (Read 2988 times)

mikeOG

• Quadruple OG
  • Muthafuckin' OG
  • I love YaBB 1 Gold!
By the way I disagree with her...

7 Day Theory >> All Eyez On Me

That's personal opinion though...  8)

I thought she was reffering to the quality of the album as in how clean and crisp All Eyez ON Me sounded compared to 7 day Theory

JohnnyL

I think she just meant that the production on "All Eyez on Me" sounded a bit more polished than on "7 Day Theory."  At least, I think that's what she meant.  If I interpreted what she said correctly, I kind of agree with her on that.  "7 Day Theory" is an excellent album, but it did have more or a raw sound, imo.

EFFeX

She better get the ball rolling on these projects though, these FTP-like companies are winning the race right now. I think they need to get more connected to the net cause other than the One Nation project they have no idea what is going on. I'd be lying if I said I don't appreciate the leaks. However, they need to drop these projects mixed / mastered in the form they are meant to be heard before they get spoiled.

mikeOG

• Quadruple OG
  • Muthafuckin' OG
  • I love YaBB 1 Gold!
so what i thought she meant was if Pacs mom likes the album they make (13 tracks set to release in 2010) she might give the go ahead to release other albums.

JohnnyL

Those tracks that she talked about being left unreleased for a reason (not all of it was hunkydory-or whatever lol), that's a perfect example of stuff that would be great for  website content (assuming their still making one **cough**cough**) If there are tracks that aren't particularly good (or at least not good enough to make money off of), they should put them up for free download (or at least, cheap download).  While, I probably wouldn't pay cd price for a complete album of unknowns that aren't all that great, I probably would go to the website and download them.  It would kind of be cool, from an historical perspective if nothing else (might shed some light as to what lesser-known acts were signed to the label at various points in its history).

EFFeX

Those tracks that she talked about being left unreleased for a reason (not all of it was hunkydory-or whatever lol), that's a perfect example of stuff that would be great for  website content (assuming their still making one **cough**cough**) If there are tracks that aren't particularly good (or at least not good enough to make money off of), they should put them up for free download (or at least, cheap download).  While, I probably wouldn't pay cd price for a complete album of unknowns that aren't all that great, I probably would go to the website and download them.  It would kind of be cool, from an historical perspective if nothing else (might shed some light as to what lesser-known acts were signed to the label at various points in its history).

Yeah she is definitely under-estimating the fan's interested in the non-Dre/Snoop/Pac artists.

I guess the main thing is fans have to hit them up by e-mail and drop their opinions. However, she said they respond to every e-mail. That's not true, I've sent them so many e-mails and they never got back to me once. Makes me not even want to hit them up again, LOL.

Action!

• Muthafuckin' Don!

I think she just meant that the production on "All Eyez on Me" sounded a bit more polished than on "7 Day Theory."  At least, I think that's what she meant.  If I interpreted what she said correctly, I kind of agree with her on that.  "7 Day Theory" is an excellent album, but it did have more or a raw sound, imo.

My only problem with her argument concerning mastering is that the polish sound is necessary better.  It's supposed to sound raw for a reason unless it was poorly executed during mastering.  Not everything is meant to be polished.
Cool breeze; I'm hopping out of new Beams
My outfit ran me a few G's but none of that will matter if you leave
I used to be an Adam with two Eves and shawtys automatically do me
Excuse me, all that happened before you doesn't matter
I'm a vision of the future climbing the success ladder
Recline, in the mean time, twenty three shine, diamond bling blind as I rewind
- Banks

EFFeX

My only problem with her argument concerning mastering is that the polish sound is necessary better.  It's supposed to sound raw for a reason unless it was poorly executed during mastering.  Not everything is meant to be polished.

That's a good point... I can point out non-2 Pac releases.

People always say acts like Wu-Tang need to remaster their classic albums like "36 Chambers", well to be honest, no that wouldn't sound right. An album like that is supposed to be raw. Even the Biggie re-release of "Ready To Die". I thought there was something lost when they remastered it. Some of that 90s Hip Hop sounds "better" in the old format, more in the cassette form. Again, that's personal opinion though. I have to admit though, I really did like some of those remasters such as "Dogg Food".

Remastering is really to be considered on an album-to-album basis instead of a must do for EVERY project.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2009, 09:11:42 PM by EFFeX »

Jaydc555

I think westcoast hip hop benefits from the extra polish where as east coast is that more grimey raw sound and doesn't need to be polished because it sounds better like that

JohnnyL

That's a good point... I can point out non-2 Pac releases.

People always say acts like Wu-Tang need to remaster their classic albums like "36 Chambers", well to be honest, no that wouldn't sound right. An album like that is supposed to be raw. Even the Biggie re-release of "Ready To Die". I thought there was something lost when they remastered it. Some of that 90s Hip Hop sounds "better" in the old format, more in the cassette form. Again, that's personal opinion though.

I have to admit though, I really did like some of those remasters such as "Dogg Food".

Yeah.  I would agree with that.  Some of those tracks probably weren't meant to have a polished sound. Particularly tracks on Makaveli, I would think, since the material has sort of a raw feel to it, anyway.  I still think that's what she meant though, by comparing "All Eyez on Me" with "7 Day Theory."   And in that respect, I do agree with her.  Whether the raw sound on Makaveli was intentional or not, I do think it's there much more so than on "All Eyez on Me."  But as you said, Effex, it's all opinion anyway.  I do think there are probably tracks in Death Row's back catalogue (not necessarily 2pac) that could probably stand some remastering.  But I definately I agree with you and Action that some tracks are meant to sound more raw.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2009, 09:17:43 PM by JohnnyL »

EFFeX

I think westcoast hip hop benefits from the extra polish where as east coast is that more grimey raw sound and doesn't need to be polished because it sounds better like that

Another great point, some of that West Coast music is so funky with so much detail that extra mastering really brings out the best of it.

You think of albums like "Illmatic", "The Infamous", "Ready To Die", "36 Chambers", etc from the East Coast and they are almost famous for their gritty sound.

Jaydc555

Exactly.if I'm listening to all eyez on me its going to sound best on CD in some great headphones.but 36 chambers I can listen to on cassette on some ear buds and its still amazing

Jimmy H.

after listening to this interview, it definitely sounds like this Lara Lavi bitch knows what she's talking about and she's passionate about putting out the music the right way.  but the other part of me is thinkin fuck her just for the hell of it and my loyalty to the original deathrow

with that being said, i doubt i'll buy any of their releases and download everything! 
Why? Loyalty to what "original Death Row"? Did you stop buying Death Row albums when Dre gave up his co-ownership of the company? That was technically the "original" Death Row!

I'd rather put money behind the kind of projects I enjoy than bootleg/download them and bitch about why we only get crappy releases in hip-hop.

Jaydc555

Ill be supporting all their releases if they do it right.

Jimmy H.

Ill be supporting all their releases if they do it right.
That's what I'm saying. I just don't get dude saying he's loyal to the original Death Row yet he won't support an album where they are talking about getting the paper work right and paying the original artists who worked on the projects.