Author Topic: Is it just me or does def jam suck now?  (Read 847 times)

Tay

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Bay Area Representative
Re: Is it just me or does def jam suck now?
« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2009, 05:06:10 PM »
What major labels have been good lately is a better question. I thought Ludacris' last one was alright, the second half and especially the ending of it were really good. It's just how the industry is right now. The positives from being on Def Jam is that you get a good budget for beats and access to producers, and you're pretty likely to have a guest appearance from Jay-Z and maybe Nas. You aren't likely to find great complete albums because they are trying to go for a couple commercial hits, but there should be quality tracks with the resources the artists have.
I got a bird's eye view

Action!

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2009, 05:30:01 PM »
Total releases since 2007:  33 or so

Quality Def Jam releases since 2007: 6

Chrisette Michele - I Am
Jay-Z - American Gangster
Kanye West - Graduation
Kanye West - 808s & Heartbreak
The Roots - Rising Down
Young Jeezy - The Recession

I don't bump most R&B.

As of 2009 I did not like either of the two major rappers released (Ross or Jada).  Ross's most redeemable feature was the beat selection.  I did not listen to Ross before the beef and have grown disdain for him since the beef.  Jada's cd was wack.  Not feeling it at all.

Expected quality future releases:
Jay-Z's The Blueprint 3
Fabulous Loso's Way
Method Man & Red Man Blackout 2

Only maybe 2 of them albums belong in that list of quality releases. 808's is horrible, Jeezy's album was avaerage, same with Jigga's. Although I can't say anything about Chriisettes album as I haven't heard it.

I'm expecting nothing from that Fabolous album, the same old shit from him.

The way I see it  those are the highlights from the past two years even if they were below expectations and were at best average.  Honestly, out of that list I still bump Untitled, American Gangster and 808s.  I sporadically listen to The Roots, Young Jeezy, Chrisitte Michelle.  I'm not sure how well Graduation has aged. 
Cool breeze; I'm hopping out of new Beams
My outfit ran me a few G's but none of that will matter if you leave
I used to be an Adam with two Eves and shawtys automatically do me
Excuse me, all that happened before you doesn't matter
I'm a vision of the future climbing the success ladder
Recline, in the mean time, twenty three shine, diamond bling blind as I rewind
- Banks

LyRiCaL_G

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I love YaBB 1 Gold!
« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2009, 05:33:59 PM »
yeah there be alto of formulaic shit dropping but the same could be said about other companies.

Eminem doing the same bullshit today he was doing in 1999...its ten years later, try a new formula for first single, interscope are just as bad if not worse.

I agree to a certain extent.

J.E.

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #18 on: April 30, 2009, 05:44:30 PM »
Nas' "Untitled" was on Def Jam and dope as fuck.

I'd say it was the best album of 2008

Muhfukka

« Reply #19 on: April 30, 2009, 05:49:32 PM »
why does everybody think that their opinion is better than everybody else's opinion.  "this album was hot... no that album was average" talk... i mean who named y'all the Grand Wizard Opinion Masters?
haha you should think about that for a minute or two

Jaydc555

« Reply #20 on: April 30, 2009, 06:05:57 PM »
I actually own fiend - the addiction and all of his albums.

BiggBoogaBiff

« Reply #21 on: April 30, 2009, 08:12:15 PM »
why does everybody think that their opinion is better than everybody else's opinion.  "this album was hot... no that album was average" talk... i mean who named y'all the Grand Wizard Opinion Masters?
haha you should think about that for a minute or two

That may be a lil' true but atleast I know when to shut tha fuck up.  Some of y'all stay on here religiously and feel like y'all own this shit and dictate and bitch up with everything that gets put on here.  i dont wanna argue and debate this shit with anybody (BCUZ I KNOW IM RIGHT) but I'm sure tha usual suspects will have something to say.

Triple OG Rapsodie

« Reply #22 on: April 30, 2009, 09:30:54 PM »
What major labels have been good lately is a better question. I thought Ludacris' last one was alright, the second half and especially the ending of it were really good. It's just how the industry is right now. The positives from being on Def Jam is that you get a good budget for beats and access to producers, and you're pretty likely to have a guest appearance from Jay-Z and maybe Nas. You aren't likely to find great complete albums because they are trying to go for a couple commercial hits, but there should be quality tracks with the resources the artists have.

Luda's album sucked because it was nothing but features, mostly by mediocre rappers.

Triple OG Rapsodie

« Reply #23 on: April 30, 2009, 09:31:48 PM »
Well there's always this...  http://rapidshare.com/files/86574068/Fiend-The_Addiction-2006-RAGEMP3.rar

but Ross' album was the shit besides that track with Trina... maybe y'all r just getting too old.... ALL Music of ALL genres has always been forumulatic or whatever.  how many times did producers on all coasts (hip hop) use that MK Rhodes Piano?  Answer:  More times than Jeezy & Lil' Jon has said "Yeah" combined

Your opinion is worthless.

Your sig doesn't make sense. Primo is bigger than Guru is.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2009, 09:34:37 PM by rapsodie »

Sikotic™

« Reply #24 on: April 30, 2009, 09:46:37 PM »
It's sucked for damn near 15 years.
My Chihuahuas Are Eternal

THA SAUCE HOUSE

D-Nice

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I Made Jesus Walks/So I Ain't Never Going To Hell
« Reply #25 on: April 30, 2009, 10:21:42 PM »
I dig more of the R&B that comes from Island Def Jam then the hip hop. Even a REALLY dope album like the ones The Roots have put out there they do not promote. Back in the day even the underground artists on the label got crazy promo. Remember the buzz they created for DMX? Those days are long gone now.

Jaydc555

« Reply #26 on: April 30, 2009, 10:49:48 PM »
Yep irv gotti saved that label and then when he left it went downhill again.its an r and b and southern label now

INGlewood4Life

• Muthafuckin' OG
« Reply #27 on: May 01, 2009, 01:58:30 AM »
DEF jam is done ain't hiphop its watered down shit now!

mrceo

• Muthafuckin' Double OG
  • More Greens Than The Jolly Green Giant
« Reply #28 on: May 01, 2009, 02:06:48 AM »
Yo Rick Ross always has great production, whoever says different is just hating.  He seriously gets the most potentially classic beats, he obviously isn't a lyrical genius by any means but i'd rather listen to Rick Ross than a lot of cats coming out nowadays.  That drug talk is pretty entertaining and like I said before the beats are crazy.  If you had Jay rappin' over the trilla tracks then that would have been a classic album.  J.U.S.T.I.C.E. League, Drumma Boy, DJ Toomp, Mannie Fresh...Def Jam still has the money to pay producers.  Obviously the game isn't what it used to be but Def Jam still has potential, if only the mainstream would accept "good" music, Nas barely got time on radios and mtv.  I don't know why everyone is always hating on Jeezy and Ross.  They are better than a lot of heads out there right now, regardless of their drug slangin' gimmick

The-Leak (aka) kingwell (bka) JULES

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • ~TWITTER.COM/ITZJULES
« Reply #29 on: May 01, 2009, 02:10:34 AM »
def jam sucked when rocafella.. and def jam south split..

they was runnin shit then..