Author Topic: Is it just me or does def jam suck now?  (Read 846 times)

J.E.

• Muthafuckin' Don!
Re: Is it just me or does def jam suck now?
« Reply #45 on: May 02, 2009, 03:08:49 AM »
I wouldn't say that Def Jam sucks.. but it's not what it used to be. And about Ross' album, it wasn't amazing but it has about 5 good songs and 4 wack songs. All the other songs are average. 3/5.

BiggBoogaBiff

« Reply #46 on: May 02, 2009, 06:11:32 AM »
alot of this seems like critism about critism and meaningless distinctions about the art that really wasn't there in the first place.  if u love hip hop/rap, then y all of tha hate?  sooner or later u have to realize this shit is just as good or better than tha shit that came out 20 years ago.  u/y'all really shud just let it go

Cause it drags the quality down

Said who??  Ice T & Nas aren't doin nothin but cornering a certain corner of the Hip Hop market.  If anything, y'all should be happy that there's more than 1 type of Hip Hop being exposed and it's more positive (even Trap Hop is cleaner than the Original Gangsta Rap days).  The age of the "floppy disk fans" has to come to an end.  Nobody listens to the radio or watches TV (for music) anymore except the little kids and I'd rather have my kids listen to Bow Wow than Nipsey Hu$$le.  If you consider yourself a mature person then you have to realize the responsibilty that comes with the messages being put out there.  Hell yeah I wanna see niggaz like Nip and Murs on the big screen and the small screen and when I turn on the radio I wanna hear some Mos Def and some Pete Rock but it ain't about all that... let the kids do tha history, THEY ALL eventually go looking for something better, and plus y'all act like they dont feel the way y'all do and the Soulja Boys is ALL they listen too.

« Last Edit: May 02, 2009, 06:15:21 AM by RadioTube!_301 »

The-Leak (aka) kingwell (bka) JULES

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • ~TWITTER.COM/ITZJULES
« Reply #47 on: May 02, 2009, 06:08:07 PM »
Once again this has become nothing but overstated opinions.  Numbers dont lie and everybody cant rock to wat dubcc rocks to.  "only if the masses would accept good music" lol that was so gay and nothing but bafoonery.  Jeezy/Ross  >>>>> Consequence/Termanology ANYDAY... i like Con/Term but they dont have tha same swagger and production of those two.   DTR>>Most albums of 09'.

If you think Jeezy and Ross have swagger, you don't get it yet..  Cons and Term have a grown up, humble, intelligence to their music..  If you ask me, that is the kind of swagger I relate to, not the swagger of drug-dealing, jewelry braggging, big car having, etc...  Wait a few more years, when hopefully for you that shit doesn't matter..  And you start seeing the real reason we are here on Earth..

As for production, that is the producers, the artist gets credit for having a good ear I guess.  That's opinion though...  Depends on what kinda beat you vibe to...

alot of this seems like critism about critism and meaningless distinctions about the art that really wasn't there in the first place.  if u love hip hop/rap, then y all of tha hate?  sooner or later u have to realize this shit is just as good or better than tha shit that came out 20 years ago.  u/y'all really shud just let it go

Said who??  Ice T & Nas aren't doin nothin but cornering a certain corner of the Hip Hop market.  If anything, y'all should be happy that there's more than 1 type of Hip Hop being exposed and it's more positive (even Trap Hop is cleaner than the Original Gangsta Rap days).  The age of the "floppy disk fans" has to come to an end.  Nobody listens to the radio or watches TV (for music) anymore except the little kids and I'd rather have my kids listen to Bow Wow than Nipsey Hu$$le.  If you consider yourself a mature person then you have to realize the responsibilty that comes with the messages being put out there.  Hell yeah I wanna see niggaz like Nip and Murs on the big screen and the small screen and when I turn on the radio I wanna hear some Mos Def and some Pete Rock but it ain't about all that... let the kids do tha history, THEY ALL eventually go looking for something better, and plus y'all act like they dont feel the way y'all do and the Soulja Boys is ALL they listen too.

That makes no sense..  Why do you think the kids are so fucked up in drugs and we got more ppl becoming gangsta punks than ever before?  Cuz of music like Young Jeezys..  I gaurantee i we had Cons and Term on the radio and that music being pushed in the mainstream, the kids would be more responsible, I PUT MONEY ON IT.. 

THAT is why I hate on artists like Rick Ross, Young Jeezy.  They don't make music that has substance, it's not pushing a positive message, it's a bunch of  bullshit..  The record labels know it too..

It's the labels fault for choosing the artists they want to push, it's the artists fault for giving in and making the bullshit that the labels want..  It's a trap, and sadly it will always be there, but we can always fight against it.

Action!

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #48 on: May 02, 2009, 06:31:27 PM »
There's a place for everything in hip-hop.  Most artists argue about what is and isn't hip-hop in order to get the spotlight on themselves so they can remain popular and make some dough.   For example, the East tried crushing the west by denying it.  They lost the fame and the popularity and caught feelings.  They say what is and isn't hip-hop in order to rescue the dollars.  Most of them aren't saying it for the love.  It's really futile.  Everything has it's place. 

People connect to different music, different styles, etc. 

My theory is discussion is fun, talking shit is fun but I wish'em all success.  Some more then others. 
Cool breeze; I'm hopping out of new Beams
My outfit ran me a few G's but none of that will matter if you leave
I used to be an Adam with two Eves and shawtys automatically do me
Excuse me, all that happened before you doesn't matter
I'm a vision of the future climbing the success ladder
Recline, in the mean time, twenty three shine, diamond bling blind as I rewind
- Banks

Jaydc555

« Reply #49 on: May 02, 2009, 06:34:05 PM »
I agree but radiotube is just a douchebag and says things like Rick Ross is better then termanology and young jeezy is classic music we will listen to when were seniors.hip hop would be boring if it didn't have so much variety.but the claims he make are just so idiotic its mind boggling.

Action!

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #50 on: May 02, 2009, 06:38:28 PM »
When I make it to my senior age I hope I can't connect with hip-hop.  I'm a just bump some classical shit.  By then these words will be trivial.

Ross as a senior?  haha!  :( 

I don't think he'll be remembered that long but the future is never seen.
Cool breeze; I'm hopping out of new Beams
My outfit ran me a few G's but none of that will matter if you leave
I used to be an Adam with two Eves and shawtys automatically do me
Excuse me, all that happened before you doesn't matter
I'm a vision of the future climbing the success ladder
Recline, in the mean time, twenty three shine, diamond bling blind as I rewind
- Banks

Jaydc555

« Reply #51 on: May 02, 2009, 06:42:32 PM »
Ill still be dancing to mark Morrison return of the Mack in my 60s

BiggBoogaBiff

I'm not a snob, y'all just o.d.
« Reply #52 on: May 02, 2009, 10:28:43 PM »

If you think Jeezy and Ross have swagger, you don't get it yet..  Cons and Term have a grown up, humble, intelligence to their music..  If you ask me, that is the kind of swagger I relate to, not the swagger of drug-dealing, jewelry braggging, big car having, etc...  Wait a few more years, when hopefully for you that shit doesn't matter..  And you start seeing the real reason we are here on Earth..

As for production, that is the producers, the artist gets credit for having a good ear I guess.  That's opinion though...  Depends on what kinda beat you vibe to...

That makes no sense..  Why do you think the kids are so fucked up in drugs and we got more ppl becoming gangsta punks than ever before?  Cuz of music like Young Jeezys..  I gaurantee i we had Cons and Term on the radio and that music being pushed in the mainstream, the kids would be more responsible, I PUT MONEY ON IT.. 

THAT is why I hate on artists like Rick Ross, Young Jeezy.  They don't make music that has substance, it's not pushing a positive message, it's a bunch of  bullshit..  The record labels know it too..

It's the labels fault for choosing the artists they want to push, it's the artists fault for giving in and making the bullshit that the labels want..  It's a trap, and sadly it will always be there, but we can always fight against it.

Like u actually give a fuck about the Lil Ronnys from the Uptowns or the Malika's from the Southside.  Do u actually listen to the albums/mixtapes (by the artist you love 2 hate) or do u just hear a couple tracks and call it a day and reject any and everything they put out without giving it a thoro listen *did u feel this way too when u first heard NWA or did u just hop on dick bcuz everybody was on tha bandwagon already*.  I get blown everytime y'all throw words in my mouth saying that i said so and so is better than so and so when I've clearly NEVER compared or said such (besides the FACTS and NOT opinions like wat i did about Cham & Jeezy or 3-6/Preme).  Just like my man Action said... ALL HIP HOP Has it's place.  I coulda sworn i said some shit like that like 2 or 3 weeks ago (everything Action said).  But if the world is going one way and you're going another-  maybe y'all r just the minorities?  Have any of you actually listened to the lyrics/messages in Deeper Than Rap and The Recession (since u swear that's the only albums I listen to).  You would KNOW that there is enough substance in those albums to call it more than just a party album.

If I want substance I'll play some Kanye or some Kid Cudi or The Roots or Eryka Badu.  And since you're speaking about Termanology so much, doesn't he rap about tha same thing like any other rapper does, sex-money-drugs-violence rap (wasn't that a name of one of his tracks on his last album).  - Saigon anybody?  Styles P? i could go on all day...  What's your argument gonna be for that... "99% of rappers do that"; well no shit shirlock that's what the fuck I've been saying.  i thinks it's hilarious how much attention you give me.

Y'all value my opinion and dubcc is boring when i'm not on here keepin it 100.  y'all just dickride, hate, and agree with each other on everything (literally) and say some corny ass jokes when I'm not around.

And i never knew white folks actually cared so much about wat goes on in the hood and wat young impressionable black/spanish kids are listening to everyday lol, especially the ones who dont even live in America lmao.  I like to party and dumbout to my hip hop/music (just like most normal people do).  and when i need to listen to something to get my mind right i'll pop on some B.O.B, Outkast, Scarface, Nas, etc.  or I'll watch Obama on CNN or get an unwanted lecture from my father or do like any intelligent person does and think about the shit .  I along with every other person in this world don't really solely on music to hear wat i need to hear to retain intelligence. 

And for the record I listen to all types of music like Neo-Soul, Classic Jazz, Rock, and some more shit.  Which i happened to grow up on and even play a little bit of

And i'm mad y'all try 2 always call me out on something that I mentioned that I already do/did in my previous post and say i dont do it lol.  I liked how u tried to call me youngin bcuz I like southern hip hop more than you do and u claim I can't muster up the maturity to play something else... like Spoken Word (which I mentioned in another post).  It's like u read one of my post then say I dont do that when I'm the 1 who called it out in the 1st place.  Y'all r boring and bored without me and clearly aren't as articulant as I am and how i respond to your bitchassness in the same manner.  Aren't we ALL around the same age here anyways... I'm 20 and if you're not around that age, then you have no business being on Hip Hop blogs (even if it's your own forum) unless your downloading or selling music

*i have nothing else left to say to tha haters like jay and ennie-pooh and the rest of em, they'll try to say any and everything to get my attention, bcuz they real daddys dont give em enough

STAY IN SCHOOL!!!

« Last Edit: May 02, 2009, 11:17:40 PM by RadioTube!_301 »

BiggBoogaBiff

« Reply #53 on: May 02, 2009, 11:26:47 PM »
dont be tryna play that "intelligent" hip hop/bullshit with me bcuz y'all were the bamaz that got bitched in skool... man up

http://www.imeem.com/people/aLs9c7/music/iHZc-5Ok/dmx-fuckin-wit-d/  maybe u needed a few more listens of songs like these growing up, then maybe u just mighta got it and had some stronger nuts when it came time 2 flexx.

K.Dub

• Magic
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #54 on: May 03, 2009, 03:34:02 AM »
Hahah, you write so much bullshit you have to highlight your own sentences.

kemizt

BiggBoogaBiff

« Reply #55 on: May 03, 2009, 10:21:34 AM »
Hahah, you write so much bullshit you have to highlight your own sentences.

Bcuz im tha muthaphukkin truth.  Even Scarface samples his own lyrics for a hook.  I just give y'all no ground to fuck with me or talk shit.  It'll take u an hour or a day to come back and fuck with me... fact.  Unless u come back and say some dum wack shit.  But i aint gotta explain myself to anybody, if dubcc is at 20,000 members and only a chosen few have shit to say about wat im sayin all the time then it must b y'all. 

Dont watch me, Watch The Hawks fuck up The Heat

.:Hercy Buggz:.

• The Soul Brotha
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Time For Sumthin New
« Reply #56 on: May 03, 2009, 08:17:19 PM »
Def Jam  sucks big time.. but its been like this for a while now.. They are having a hard time promoting legends and good artists. If the label would put more money into artist like Method Man, The Roots,  Hiphop would be in a better place. I miss those days where Def Jam was The House of Good music when Def Jam and Def Soul were one big family, with Method Man, Redman,Musiq Soulchild,Kelly Price,Dru Hill, LL Cool J, Jonell, Foxy Brown, Roc A Fella, Murder Inc ..those were the days.. now its all about Rick Ross , Young Jezzy, Neyo & Rihanna

The-Leak (aka) kingwell (bka) JULES

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • ~TWITTER.COM/ITZJULES
Re: I'm not a snob, y'all just o.d.
« Reply #57 on: May 04, 2009, 12:47:30 AM »

Like u actually give a fuck about the Lil Ronnys from the Uptowns or the Malika's from the Southside.  Do u actually listen to the albums/mixtapes (by the artist you love 2 hate) or do u just hear a couple tracks and call it a day and reject any and everything they put out without giving it a thoro listen *did u feel this way too when u first heard NWA or did u just hop on dick bcuz everybody was on tha bandwagon already*.  I get blown everytime y'all throw words in my mouth saying that i said so and so is better than so and so when I've clearly NEVER compared or said such (besides the FACTS and NOT opinions like wat i did about Cham & Jeezy or 3-6/Preme).  Just like my man Action said... ALL HIP HOP Has it's place.  I coulda sworn i said some shit like that like 2 or 3 weeks ago (everything Action said).  But if the world is going one way and you're going another-  maybe y'all r just the minorities?  Have any of you actually listened to the lyrics/messages in Deeper Than Rap and The Recession (since u swear that's the only albums I listen to).  You would KNOW that there is enough substance in those albums to call it more than just a party album.

If I want substance I'll play some Kanye or some Kid Cudi or The Roots or Eryka Badu.  And since you're speaking about Termanology so much, doesn't he rap about tha same thing like any other rapper does, sex-money-drugs-violence rap (wasn't that a name of one of his tracks on his last album).  - Saigon anybody?  Styles P? i could go on all day...  What's your argument gonna be for that... "99% of rappers do that"; well no shit shirlock that's what the fuck I've been saying.  i thinks it's hilarious how much attention you give me.

Y'all value my opinion and dubcc is boring when i'm not on here keepin it 100.  y'all just dickride, hate, and agree with each other on everything (literally) and say some corny ass jokes when I'm not around.

And i never knew white folks actually cared so much about wat goes on in the hood and wat young impressionable black/spanish kids are listening to everyday lol, especially the ones who dont even live in America lmao.  I like to party and dumbout to my hip hop/music (just like most normal people do).  and when i need to listen to something to get my mind right i'll pop on some B.O.B, Outkast, Scarface, Nas, etc.  or I'll watch Obama on CNN or get an unwanted lecture from my father or do like any intelligent person does and think about the shit .  I along with every other person in this world don't really solely on music to hear wat i need to hear to retain intelligence. 

And for the record I listen to all types of music like Neo-Soul, Classic Jazz, Rock, and some more shit.  Which i happened to grow up on and even play a little bit of

And i'm mad y'all try 2 always call me out on something that I mentioned that I already do/did in my previous post and say i dont do it lol.  I liked how u tried to call me youngin bcuz I like southern hip hop more than you do and u claim I can't muster up the maturity to play something else... like Spoken Word (which I mentioned in another post).  It's like u read one of my post then say I dont do that when I'm the 1 who called it out in the 1st place.  Y'all r boring and bored without me and clearly aren't as articulant as I am and how i respond to your bitchassness in the same manner.  Aren't we ALL around the same age here anyways... I'm 20 and if you're not around that age, then you have no business being on Hip Hop blogs (even if it's your own forum) unless your downloading or selling music

*i have nothing else left to say to tha haters like jay and ennie-pooh and the rest of em, they'll try to say any and everything to get my attention, bcuz they real daddys dont give em enough

STAY IN SCHOOL!!!nj

Of course I care about the kids,  I'm at an age where I realize how much effect we have on them, and how much they shape the future of the Earth..  Too bad you don't share the same compassion...  Yes, I listen to lots of major label albums in their entirety..  I have written Rick Ross off on 3  seperates occasions so far..  If you catch my drift...  I didn't call it a party album.  It lacks substance and meaning...  That can be projected in varying ways other than just "party records"..   

Yes I am white, so what??   When I speak about the problems of today, and the struggles of youth, I'm not talking about just blacks, mexicans, "the hood", America...  I'm talking about anyone, living anywhere who is going through it...  Why do I have to be American???

For the record, I am 22, so that is what it is....

dont be tryna play that "intelligent" hip hop/bullshit with me bcuz y'all were the bamaz that got bitched in skool... man up

http://www.imeem.com/people/aLs9c7/music/iHZc-5Ok/dmx-fuckin-wit-d/  maybe u needed a few more listens of songs like these growing up, then maybe u just mighta got it and had some stronger nuts when it came time 2 flexx.

The song you chose and the reason you chose it is exactly what I'm trying to say is wrong..  LOL..  You obviously don't get it..
« Last Edit: May 04, 2009, 12:49:18 AM by The-Leak (aka) kingwell (bka) JULES »

Triple OG Rapsodie

« Reply #58 on: May 04, 2009, 06:23:46 AM »
hip hop needs variety. Hell yeah there were pop songs 20 years ago. But there was other shit out too. When's the last time you heard a socially concious song on the radio? Exactly...yeah there was gangsta rap out in the 90s. But don't forget there were a lot of backpack rappers doing their thing too and getting airplay.

Moe

« Reply #59 on: May 04, 2009, 07:58:16 AM »
yes def jam does suck right now