Author Topic: Official Eminem "Relapse" Discussion Thread  (Read 21041 times)

DTG Entertainment

Re: I'm a huge Em fan but Relapse is horrible.
« Reply #450 on: May 11, 2009, 05:24:29 PM »
I do think this record was lyrical.
I do think it was creative and is a concept album.
I do think the beats weren't in-your-face fiyah on purpose. 
I do think the beats support the lyrics.
I do think his flow is straight.
I do think the accent is on purpose and represents the alter ego Slim Shady.  It does not bother me.
I do think Em is one of the most honest out even when his music isn't of the same quality or the same shock it used to. 
I do think Em is aware of this and it makes him more compelling because he continues to release music and spits about it.

I do think most people don't understand Relapse is a concept record and focus on relatively meaningless shit when they reflect on the album
I do think discussion is tight but none of it really matters because if you like it, you like it. 

Agreed. + 1

Cali Climate

« Reply #451 on: May 11, 2009, 05:24:45 PM »
i gave this a good listen over the past few days, still think it's poor.

it's possible to dislike this album and not be a hater.

DTG Entertainment

« Reply #452 on: May 11, 2009, 05:25:24 PM »
I was wondering who Deshaun was, didn't know that was Proof's name. Props

No problem.

~Lucien~

Re: Official Eminem "Relapse" Discussion Thread
« Reply #453 on: May 11, 2009, 06:18:57 PM »
some of the beats are crazy! but it's a 5/10 album  :-\

Makaveli's Food & Liquor

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #454 on: May 11, 2009, 06:36:58 PM »
Ive listened to this a few times through and i was pleasantly surprised the first listen, bare in miind i was expecting it to be trash, and well its really not that bad, its average at best but not atall wack, Dres beats are fucking krazy 8) Em can still flow his ass off and tbh the accent doesnt really bother me anymore but the problem with this album is surprisingly Ems lyrics which are fucking awful, so much has gone on in the past few years of his life and yet hes still spitting the same lyrics offa SSLP, which is so cheesy now and kinda pathetic, theres no growth or nothin, if the whole album was like 'Deja Vu' then it'd be insane instead its not bad just really average

akcranker - The Dangerous Crew Movement

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #455 on: May 11, 2009, 06:41:10 PM »
Ive listened to this a few times through and i was pleasantly surprised the first listen, bare in miind i was expecting it to be trash, and well its really not that bad, its average at best but not atall wack, Dres beats are fucking krazy 8) Em can still flow his ass off and tbh the accent doesnt really bother me anymore but the problem with this album is surprisingly Ems lyrics which are fucking awful, so much has gone on in the past few years of his life and yet hes still spitting the same lyrics offa SSLP, which is so cheesy now and kinda pathetic, theres no growth or nothin, if the whole album was like 'Deja Vu' then it'd be insane instead its not bad just really average

I think you have to look at alot of other people's theories that the fans wanted Slim Shady/Marshell Mathers back and that's what they got.  Relapse is supposed to be like SSLP cause that's what the fans wanted... and with that.. Relapse 2 should be like MMLP.

LyRiCaL_G

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I love YaBB 1 Gold!
« Reply #456 on: May 11, 2009, 07:52:52 PM »
The production on this imo is much better than encore and it IS a better album imo which aint saying much but i do think this is better than that album.

However to compare relapse to MMLP or the eminem show (which im not the biggest fan of) is a lil extreme imo.

pz!

Mo-D

• Muthafuckin' OG
  • Me and Kurupt - Brisbane 2007
« Reply #457 on: May 11, 2009, 08:45:36 PM »
I have listened to album start to finish 4 times.

Im not going to give an opinion based on liostening to 30 seconds of each track like SO MANY people have.

This album is SOLID. Its nothing groundbreaking but i think its better than Eminem Show.

The songs which I find myself singing long after my headphones are off are:

- My Mom (everyone I showed this track to likes it)
- Insane
- Bagpipes from Baghdad
- Old Times Sake
- Must be The Ganja
- Deja Vu

6  very good songs in my opinion. But I agree that it hasnt got that ONE SONG which would make it go quadruple platinum quickly. I.e. wayne - lollipop, t.i - whatever you like, kanye - stronger

but lots of good songs. enjoy it and stop bagging it so much!

Mo-D

• Muthafuckin' OG
  • Me and Kurupt - Brisbane 2007
« Reply #458 on: May 11, 2009, 08:53:06 PM »
You know I've said this 2 or 3 times in the past 2 days but you really need to get through the initial "first impression" experience because I was dissapointed with accent and thatr he showed no growth. Once you get past that phase try listening to it with an open mind, no overanalysing every single word, good music is good music. I also gave him a pass on the growth things, since he was on drugs for the past 7 years so it's understandable that he raps about it. Relapse 2 better be more serious and adress Proof, Interscope, Shady records politics....

I suggest everybody to read that breakdown of the cd Action posted. And the replay value on this cd is impressive people are gonna call me crazy for this but it's better than Marshall Mathers (the replay value that is) for me. MM is obviously a better cd but the replay value was always fishy to me, like with all Eminem material except Slim Shady LP.

Basically Slim Shady LP verses + Relapse production= classic

Well said, man. I agree with all of that.

pootypooty

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #459 on: May 11, 2009, 09:07:37 PM »
You know I've said this 2 or 3 times in the past 2 days but you really need to get through the initial "first impression" experience because I was dissapointed with accent and thatr he showed no growth. Once you get past that phase try listening to it with an open mind, no overanalysing every single word, good music is good music. I also gave him a pass on the growth things, since he was on drugs for the past 7 years so it's understandable that he raps about it. Relapse 2 better be more serious and adress Proof, Interscope, Shady records politics....

I suggest everybody to read that breakdown of the cd Action posted. And the replay value on this cd is impressive people are gonna call me crazy for this but it's better than Marshall Mathers (the replay value that is) for me. MM is obviously a better cd but the replay value was always fishy to me, like with all Eminem material except Slim Shady LP.

Personally, I liked the album from the get-go. I've probably played the whole album a dozen times now and it does get better. However, it wasn't until after the 3rd listen that I came across this statement when I began to really appreciate where he was going with this album, bearing in mind that Relapse is loosely a concept album:

The main theme of the record is a lot to do with me getting sober. Like giving up drugs and also kinda relapsing back into the first two albums, it's like relapsing back to the first two albums. The Slim Shady LP and The Marshall Mathers LP. It kinda feels like, the way these records feel it's like, to me, they kinda feel like those two records." (Skyrock)

So for those who felt like his content was lacking, it's basically part of the concept, because he keeps relapsing back to SSLP & MMLP personas.

It's brilliant, imo.

akcranker - The Dangerous Crew Movement

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #460 on: May 11, 2009, 09:34:37 PM »

Personally, I liked the album from the get-go. I've probably played the whole album a dozen times now and it does get better. However, it wasn't until after the 3rd listen that I came across this statement when I began to really appreciate where he was going with this album, bearing in mind that Relapse is loosely a concept album:

The main theme of the record is a lot to do with me getting sober. Like giving up drugs and also kinda relapsing back into the first two albums, it's like relapsing back to the first two albums. The Slim Shady LP and The Marshall Mathers LP. It kinda feels like, the way these records feel it's like, to me, they kinda feel like those two records." (Skyrock)

So for those who felt like his content was lacking, it's basically part of the concept, because he keeps relapsing back to SSLP & MMLP personas.

It's brilliant, imo.

Agreed!!!

I think alot of people just aren't grasping this whole concept album thing.. if you really look at what he was trying to do and then look at each track and how they fit... shit is dope as fuck!!!  Given I do think a few tracks don't exactly fit the album.. you could probably skim it down to like 16-18 tracks.

Nelson Muntz

• Lil Geezy
  • HAW HAW!
« Reply #461 on: May 11, 2009, 09:56:49 PM »
it would have been 100% better had he said "sliiiim shadey!" like he used to

J$crILLa

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • J$crilla -aka- JDolla$iGn -aka- $crillVille
« Reply #462 on: May 11, 2009, 10:03:42 PM »
its a dope ass album to me

pootypooty

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #463 on: May 11, 2009, 11:16:50 PM »

It's brilliant, imo.

Agreed!!!

I think alot of people just aren't grasping this whole concept album thing.. if you really look at what he was trying to do and then look at each track and how they fit... shit is dope as fuck!!!  Given I do think a few tracks don't exactly fit the album.. you could probably skim it down to like 16-18 tracks.

Once people understand the story behind the concept, they might be able to appreciate it more. Lyrically and production wise, the expectations were met for an Eminem album. The only real complaint that people seem to have with Relapse is the accent on certain songs. I've never been bothered by the accent, so it's whatever to me.

westside159

« Reply #464 on: May 12, 2009, 12:23:48 AM »
man we got a corny hater already, Relapse is dope bro , what album did you listen to ?  Cant wait to bump that shit wit some real woofers loud !!!!!!! 8) 8)