Author Topic: Official Eminem "Relapse" Discussion Thread  (Read 21182 times)

T-Dogg

• Muthafuckin' Don!
Re: I'm a huge Em fan but Relapse is horrible.
« Reply #465 on: May 12, 2009, 12:30:00 AM »
I do think this record was lyrical.
I do think it was creative and is a concept album.
I do think the beats weren't in-your-face fiyah on purpose. 
I do think the beats support the lyrics.
I do think his flow is straight.
I do think the accent is on purpose and represents the alter ego Slim Shady.  It does not bother me.
I do think Em is one of the most honest out even when his music isn't of the same quality or the same shock it used to. 
I do think Em is aware of this and it makes him more compelling because he continues to release music and spits about it.

I do think most people don't understand Relapse is a concept record and focus on relatively meaningless shit when they reflect on the album
I do think discussion is tight but none of it really matters because if you like it, you like it. 

Well put.

BlueSwan

• Muthafuckin' OG
« Reply #466 on: May 12, 2009, 12:33:24 AM »
Imagine if "Relapse" had been Eminems debut album. I would bet all money in the world that it would have been hailed as a classic and a complete game-changer. Eminem flows better than ever before. The beats are better than ever before. The only problem is that we've heard it before. Once you get over that you can appreciate the album for what it is: a very strong album from one of the best to ever do it.

BlueSwan

• Muthafuckin' OG
Re: Official Eminem "Relapse" Discussion Thread
« Reply #467 on: May 12, 2009, 12:41:28 AM »
Honestly, I think this album is up there with his best (SSLP and MMLP). In my book it is far better than Encore and quite a bit better than The Eminem Show, which I thought was too samey.

dubsmith_nz

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #468 on: May 12, 2009, 01:56:29 AM »

6  very good songs in my opinion. But I agree that it hasnt got that ONE SONG which would make it go quadruple platinum quickly. I.e. wayne - lollipop, t.i - whatever you like, kanye - stronger

Yeah it doesnt have that huge pop smash, but in my opinion Beautiful could be huge, that tracks pure piff...

eNgIeS

« Reply #469 on: May 12, 2009, 02:52:47 AM »
i gave this a good listen over the past few days, still think it's poor.

it's possible to dislike this album and not be a hater.

true.. I just think most people are just hating and not really giving it a chance and a proper listen..

if you did..props to you.. too bad you don't like it.. hopefully Relapse 2 will spark your interest

I agree fullheartedly

eNgIeS

« Reply #470 on: May 12, 2009, 02:55:28 AM »
I love it

Same song and dance has a great beat

The hooks are cool too, you know there good when your not listening to a track but the hook is in the back of your head

I love that beat. Even though the subject matter is quite dark

then again the entire album seems to be dark

Okka

« Reply #471 on: May 12, 2009, 03:17:00 AM »
This album is SOLID. Its nothing groundbreaking but i think its better than Eminem Show.

Well, i really don't think so. I don't even know if it's better than "Encore", i need bump them both some of these days and make a desicion.

Meho

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #472 on: May 12, 2009, 03:58:33 AM »
Yeah the biggest aspetct from a critics point of view is the growth thing. But then again Eminem was on drugs for the past 7 years so it's normal that he raps about it, it's not like he's desperatley trying to recreate the Slim Shady LP era. He just better drop the accent and bizzare lyrics on Relapse 2 though,

Episcop Cruel Cvrle

« Reply #473 on: May 12, 2009, 04:04:34 AM »
Solid album, great concept. If Underground is like Intro to relapse 2 then we gonna get another great album.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

SLAUGHTERHOUSE PLAYER YOU ALREADY KNOW THO,A PIG IS OUR LOGO, BUT WE AINT THA PO-PO

WWW.DYNASTYENTGROUP.COM    WWW.THEBOSSBOARD.COM

Nima - Dubcnn.com

« Reply #474 on: May 12, 2009, 04:15:56 AM »
Production is amazing, I love pretty much all the beats, Dre definitely came through. Em flows his ass off on most of the songs, some hooks are questionable, the accent is annoying and IMO the content sounds kind of forced... But still way better than Encore, for the production alone.

Dre-Day

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • No justice, no peace
« Reply #475 on: May 12, 2009, 04:47:22 AM »
Brother Ali>>>>>>Eminem

Ant>>>>>Dr Dre
i like how you were one of the first posters on here to check out Relapse  :laugh:

Thanks for noticing.  You got me again.

And actually if you look back, I didn't comment on the record until the 2nd page thus making me NOT one of the 1st posters.  Good try though, buddy  :-*
i didn't say anything about commenting  :nahnah2:

Not sure what happened to you recently but you've been quite the narcissist.  Anyway, how do you know that I was one of the 1st posters to check out Relapse?  Where is your empirical evidence? 

lol! i can understand why you got that impression, but it's not right.
you see,i can't help it that i'm able to recognise things, that most people aren't able to; so i'm not overestimating anything.
it's just an advantage  8)

it's interesting that your observations made you come to the conclusion that i've changed though  :laugh:
i haven't changed at all, but i've become more and more active on here over time.

anyway, well the forum has a tool, with which you can observe what other forum members are doing on here.
by coincidence,i saw that you were checking the discussion topic (which was made shortly after the leak of Relapse) and you posted your thoughts about it not long after that ( just check the post time & compare them with the first one of the topic), so it was obvious.
that's why i was able to make the statement about you being one of the first ones.
with your reponse to that, you tried to make it look like it wasn't a legit claim, while you didn't know my reasons for making the claim in the first place.

again, as with the argument about Dre, i just stated the truth.
i understand that it can be inconvenient, but don't blame me  ;D

Of course I knew your claims.  It's really not a big secret around here that there are numbers and dates and timestamps for everything.  So, dude.  Get off your own shaft for a moment.  Just because I commented early in the thread doesn't mean I was one of the 1st posters to check out Relapse.  And even if that was the case, which it's not considering the album leaked elsewhere beforehand, it doesn't make a shred of difference.  Furthermore, you know I'm not on here very often and you actually were the one who encouraged me to start engaging in more threads or creating more threads.  I just happened to start checking the forum when Lunatic had made the thread and so I commented.  As a matter of fact, I had already heard the record before the thread.  And as I stated before I'm a fan of Dr Dre so what is the point.  He just gets too much credit.  I sure as hell don't agree with everything you're doing but I don't start shit for the fuck of it.  That's counterproductive.  Stop acting like a baby.

lol it's funny how you get offended everytime i put you in check  :laugh:
i'm not too confident at all, so stop blaming me for your own mistakes.
i made a valid claim & i backed it up properly.
if that insults you, then that's your fault, not mine.

sure you can discuss what can be considered being "one of the first", but that's subjective.
however, i think my claim wasn't far fetched at all, which i tried to back up with my arguments.

also what has my encouragement towards you, to do with this conversation?
i haven't changed my mind about that.
not to mention that my claim about you checking Relapse relatively early, did not meant that it's bad to check out relapse in general(or that it's a bad thing that you checked it out).
i just thought it was funny (afterwards )that you checked the album out quite early when i saw you running your mouth about Dr.Dre.
as you noticed, i made that comment after i had an argument with you about Dr.Dre.

now that you mentioned that you're a fan of Dr.Dre, it makes it even more hilarious that you went so far in the argument.

also, i stated before that i wasn't going to argue whether Dr.Dre is overrated by the public: you can go back & find my quote where i stated that.
by the way, if you intended to start the conversation purely about that, then you're too late now: you should have limited yourself more with your comments.
all you can do now is come clean or stick your head in the sand.

also, not sure whether you accused me of starting shit randomly, but if true: then  :loser: at you for having the wrong idea.
don't speak on something you have no clue of.

last but not least, so now i'm also acting like a baby?  :D
first i'm acting narcissistic according to you and now this?  ;D
you're such a hypocrite.
say what you want about me, but unlike you, i'm actually able to swallow my pride; i've done that several times( on here, even after a heavy argument with D~Nice a long time ago; eventually we both came clean & everything has been cool again for a while now)
that doesn't make me a better person than you, but i'm just saying that you can learn from that.

PS: keep in mind that my tone in the Dr.Dre argument, switched slowly: the more you dug yourself in, the more it changed.

BJV

« Reply #476 on: May 12, 2009, 05:07:05 AM »
I think the album is pretty good, much better than Encore.

Dre-Day

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • No justice, no peace
« Reply #477 on: May 12, 2009, 05:15:34 AM »
i gave this a good listen over the past few days, still think it's poor.

it's possible to dislike this album and not be a hater.

exactly, props!

we don't disrespect the ones that like Relapse, but don't put us in a box either.

by the way, Meho, can't you merge a few Relapse discussion topics?
i'm not saying one discussion topic should be left, but some could be merged.

TraceOneInfinite Flat Earther 96'

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Permanent Resident Flat Erth 1996 Pre-Sept. 13th
Why Em changed his voice? Exit Slim Shady-enter RAIN MAN
« Reply #478 on: May 12, 2009, 05:54:40 AM »

what happened em?

Like I've said before, what fueled Eminem in the past, was a desire to display his skills and tell his story to the world.  I think once 8-Mile was completed he had achieved all his dreams, and so that fire inside that drove him died.  He even hints at it in some songs, like on "Soldier" from the Eminem Show he says, "(Spit) till the fire inside dies and expires".  Also "Say Goodbye To Hollywood" is another great track where he indicates that he may soon lose his fire. 

From the beginning the Shady alter Ego was fueled by his failure.  He was broke, had lost the rap Olympics, came back with nothing after putting it all on the line.  His Infinite album had failed.  He failed like a failure to his daughter, him and Kim were on the ropes.  Finally he downed all those pills.  Dude was at "Rock Bottom" and then his alter ego hit him and he became "Slim Shady" and the song "Just Don't Give A Fuck" explains the whole style.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/A1PyaWDDN34&amp;hl=en&amp;fs=1" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/A1PyaWDDN34&amp;hl=en&amp;fs=1</a>

In Encore he basically kills off his Slim Shady alter ego.  Look at the liner notes to the album, and also listen closely.  He is coming back on for an "Encore Performance" after his previous (Eminem Show).  But he has a sick plan to shock everyone, and while they think it's an Encore he really plans to kill himself during the show.  Notice before the 50 song he says something like "...last one baby" to indicate that he's coming hard on this track, but that he doesn't have much left.  Then by the end of the album it's "One Shot, Two Shot, this is where the party stops" (in his track with D-12).  Then ofcourse he finishes with one last Encore with Dre and then kills himself.

He said in interviews around the time, that Slim Shady had retired.  That he may still do music but that it wouldn't be as Slim Shady.  Come to think of it I don't recall him referring to himself as Slim Shady in the new album, but I could be wrong.

So now his alter ego is this who Rain Man thing that he brought out during the Encore song.  I didn't realize it at the time, because the song sounded like a joke, but the "Rain Man" track on that album was actually him unveiling his new persona on the mic.  He uses the voices in the song that has become his signature, and the new style was born.  He also mentions this in interviews how much inspiration he has gotten from the movie character in "Rain Man" played by Dustin Hoffman.  I remember back in 99 Dustin Hoffman even showed up at an Eminem concert.  So he's actually admired him for a long time.

Listen to the chorus of "Rain Man" he says, "Hi My Name Is.... my name was not meant to become what it came (indicated he's gone has far as he could with the Slim Shady persona)... my new name is, RAIN MAN".

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/IeKLBTlbTT4&amp;hl=en&amp;fs=1" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/IeKLBTlbTT4&amp;hl=en&amp;fs=1</a>

« Last Edit: May 12, 2009, 06:13:43 AM by Prescribed By Infinite »
Givin' respect to 2pac September 7th-13th The Day Hip-Hop Died

(btw, Earth 🌎 is not a spinning water ball)

D-TalkX

Re: Why Em changed his voice? Exit Slim Shady-enter RAIN MAN
« Reply #479 on: May 12, 2009, 06:20:22 AM »
makes sense....still miss Slim Shady though ha...the song Rain Man was as much as I could take of Rain Man