Author Topic: Official Eminem "Relapse" Discussion Thread  (Read 21196 times)

BlueSwan

• Muthafuckin' OG
Re: Official Eminem "Relapse" Discussion Thread
« Reply #495 on: May 12, 2009, 10:59:34 AM »
Yeah, I love Rain Man too. The only track I like more than that on Encore is the title track. But he's not Rain Man on "Relapse". He calls himself Slim Shady on several tracks and has himself stated that this is the return of the Slim Shady of his first two albums.

Action!

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #496 on: May 12, 2009, 11:32:26 AM »
Yeah, I love Rain Man too. The only track I like more than that on Encore is the title track. But he's not Rain Man on "Relapse". He calls himself Slim Shady on several tracks and has himself stated that this is the return of the Slim Shady of his first two albums.

I agree.  For me, I think he generally just views himself as Rainman.  I'm not bought on the theory of Rainman-as-alter-ego.  Instead of interperting the chorus as the introduction of an alter ego I took it as reflection of his current career stance.  He never thought he'd this famous and before he was rich he swear he'd never act a certain way,  but he did exactly what he swore not to.  Now he just knows how to do something exceptionally well (rap) but without a reason as to why (content).   I don't know but I do like the theory of Rainman as an alter ego because he supposedly kill Shady on When I'm Gone though When I'm Gone was also a dream like story.

Whatever, I don't care.  Dope shit!  that's all that matters.
Cool breeze; I'm hopping out of new Beams
My outfit ran me a few G's but none of that will matter if you leave
I used to be an Adam with two Eves and shawtys automatically do me
Excuse me, all that happened before you doesn't matter
I'm a vision of the future climbing the success ladder
Recline, in the mean time, twenty three shine, diamond bling blind as I rewind
- Banks

Dre-Day

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • No justice, no peace
« Reply #497 on: May 12, 2009, 01:46:00 PM »
Brother Ali>>>>>>Eminem

Ant>>>>>Dr Dre
i like how you were one of the first posters on here to check out Relapse  :laugh:

Thanks for noticing.  You got me again.

And actually if you look back, I didn't comment on the record until the 2nd page thus making me NOT one of the 1st posters.  Good try though, buddy  :-*
i didn't say anything about commenting  :nahnah2:

Not sure what happened to you recently but you've been quite the narcissist.  Anyway, how do you know that I was one of the 1st posters to check out Relapse?  Where is your empirical evidence? 

lol! i can understand why you got that impression, but it's not right.
you see,i can't help it that i'm able to recognise things, that most people aren't able to; so i'm not overestimating anything.
it's just an advantage  8)

it's interesting that your observations made you come to the conclusion that i've changed though  :laugh:
i haven't changed at all, but i've become more and more active on here over time.

anyway, well the forum has a tool, with which you can observe what other forum members are doing on here.
by coincidence,i saw that you were checking the discussion topic (which was made shortly after the leak of Relapse) and you posted your thoughts about it not long after that ( just check the post time & compare them with the first one of the topic), so it was obvious.
that's why i was able to make the statement about you being one of the first ones.
with your reponse to that, you tried to make it look like it wasn't a legit claim, while you didn't know my reasons for making the claim in the first place.

again, as with the argument about Dre, i just stated the truth.
i understand that it can be inconvenient, but don't blame me  ;D

Of course I knew your claims.  It's really not a big secret around here that there are numbers and dates and timestamps for everything.  So, dude.  Get off your own shaft for a moment.  Just because I commented early in the thread doesn't mean I was one of the 1st posters to check out Relapse.  And even if that was the case, which it's not considering the album leaked elsewhere beforehand, it doesn't make a shred of difference.  Furthermore, you know I'm not on here very often and you actually were the one who encouraged me to start engaging in more threads or creating more threads.  I just happened to start checking the forum when Lunatic had made the thread and so I commented.  As a matter of fact, I had already heard the record before the thread.  And as I stated before I'm a fan of Dr Dre so what is the point.  He just gets too much credit.  I sure as hell don't agree with everything you're doing but I don't start shit for the fuck of it.  That's counterproductive.  Stop acting like a baby.

lol it's funny how you get offended everytime i put you in check  :laugh:
i'm not too confident at all, so stop blaming me for your own mistakes.
i made a valid claim & i backed it up properly.
if that insults you, then that's your fault, not mine.

sure you can discuss what can be considered being "one of the first", but that's subjective.
however, i think my claim wasn't far fetched at all, which i tried to back up with my arguments.

also what has my encouragement towards you, to do with this conversation?
i haven't changed my mind about that.
not to mention that my claim about you checking Relapse relatively early, did not meant that it's bad to check out relapse in general(or that it's a bad thing that you checked it out).
i just thought it was funny (afterwards )that you checked the album out quite early when i saw you running your mouth about Dr.Dre.
as you noticed, i made that comment after i had an argument with you about Dr.Dre.

now that you mentioned that you're a fan of Dr.Dre, it makes it even more hilarious that you went so far in the argument.

also, i stated before that i wasn't going to argue whether Dr.Dre is overrated by the public: you can go back & find my quote where i stated that.
by the way, if you intended to start the conversation purely about that, then you're too late now: you should have limited yourself more with your comments.
all you can do now is come clean or stick your head in the sand.

also, not sure whether you accused me of starting shit randomly, but if true: then  :loser: at you for having the wrong idea.
don't speak on something you have no clue of.

last but not least, so now i'm also acting like a baby?  :D
first i'm acting narcissistic according to you and now this?  ;D
you're such a hypocrite.
say what you want about me, but unlike you, i'm actually able to swallow my pride; i've done that several times( on here, even after a heavy argument with D~Nice a long time ago; eventually we both came clean & everything has been cool again for a while now)
that doesn't make me a better person than you, but i'm just saying that you can learn from that.

PS: keep in mind that my tone in the Dr.Dre argument, switched slowly: the more you dug yourself in, the more it changed.

Remember you initiated this whole back and forth with your seemingly snide Khalil lol comment.  Not me. With that said:

1st off you didn't put anyone or anything in check.  Please read this and go back and read our conversations.
2nd, I'm not blaming you for any mistakes but I will say misinterpretations or reinterpretations and perhaps some over zealousness.
3rd, when I brought up the discussion encouragement I did so because by doing whatever you're doing right now (misinterpreting) it leads me to not want to discuss in depth because words can be mingled to death and taken the wrong way.  Hence my screen name Laconic and my past posts.  I try to be concise so this doesn't occur.
4th, I know you didn't mean it was a bad thing to check out Relapse.  That would be foolish unto itself.
5th, I wasn't "running my mouth" about Dr. Dre, and even if I was then who cares.  He's certainly not above criticism and dissection and that's what people should do with him because he's put on a pedestal while the group around him who make the music aren't treated likewise.  When I said there are better producers I meant that because these other guys are beat makers and producers not someone who takes skeletons or other people's beats( http://www.hiphopdx.com/index/news/id.9098/title.eminem-s-we-made-you-co-producer-explains-his-big-break ) and tweeks them, among other things.  When you said I don't know shit about producing, that is completely off base because you made those comments based on something general that I said about Dre's production.  Obviously I didn't go into an entire tirade about everything he does.  But you really got "upset" when I said Dre needs others around him to make his shit hot and you called me biased.  You'll probably be hard pressed to find people that disagree with me because everyone knows through books, interviews, etc that Dre has a gaggle of people around him playing for him and mixing and writing and making beats and so forth.  I really don't think that is debatable.   I would like to hear music from DRE without the actual team but it just ain't gonna happen.  And that is why I brought up Paris because he does so many things and has little assistance in comparison.  Yeah, the music may not sound as "big" but it certainly stands the test of time and I enjoy it more than "Dre's work" for a variety of reasons.
6th, this is a waste of time going back and forth like this.  I have way better things to be doing but I would like to clear this up because I have respected your opinion in the past on several things.  I'm just not a fan when someone comes at me sideways and makes snide remarks (you initiated those) and calls me biased when clearly Dre has many "assistants" that contribute to the outcome of the music.  If he has individuals who make beats for him, write for him, mix for him, play music for him, engineer for him, and so forth then it's plain and simple to see that he needs others around him to make him who he is.  I don't understand why that is so difficult to comprehend.  So I'm not running and ducking my head in the sand for something that I didn't do.  If I was wrong then I would admit it.  But you haven't proven to me that I was because everybody knows Dre has a "team." Let's start a true/false poll and ask the other posters if it's likely Dre has many "helpers"  and if they contribute to making the shit as hot as it is.  I bet most will say True.  And just cause I'm a nice guy I apologize to you if I came at you in a non-helpful way but again you initiated it.  But I will not apologize for something I didn't do.  Peace...

- no i didn't, as i didn't disrespect you with the Khalil comment. i just felt that it was kind of funny that you preferred Khalil over Dr.Dre.
that you took it the wrong way & felt that i was disrespecting you, is not my fault.
you misinterpreted my comment after all.
it's sad that it you feel that this set it off, but again i don't feel responsible for that.

-well, you only let it escalate, even though you could have prevented it as i pointed out several times before.
again, i don't take responsibility for that: you're to blame for the escalation.

-i won't question that, maybe text based communication is indeed partly to blame for the argument.
and maybe you're in general, very careful with your statements, but in this argument ( if you feel that misinterpreted your comments) you weren't very clearly, if you had different intentions, than how i interpreted your comments.
even when looking back at the quotes, i don't see how i could have interpreted them differently  :P i really tried!

-well i'm glad that's clear then ;)

-i care, as you pissed me off with your arguments, but i didn't switch my tone immediately.
i don't mind that you're criticising Dr.Dre, but your arguments aren't solid.
the reason Dr.Dre gets a lot of props, is because he has done a great job as a producer.
his "partners" haven't done the things he has done, simple.
Dre has been accusing of stealing credits so many times, but why didn't they sue him?
if it was so obvious, he would have been caught a long time ago.
so it's just rumours & assumptions, nothing more.

lol at you for using We Made You as an example though.
hahaha, that's a perfectly legal situation.
so even if the producer that sold the original beat won't be mentioned in the booklet, you still won't have proof that Dre is stealing.
but yeah it's not the first time that Dre bought a beat from someone else & certainly won't be the last one, as he'll continue to buy more for Detox('s vault).
after the transaction, he can do what he wants with it.
lol at you if you think that buying beats for someone's own use, takes credit away from the producer  :laugh:
even if he does that for every track he has his name on, you would still not be able to tell what he did with it & come up with proper arguments of why you would think that he took too much credit; all you could do is assume.

and if my claim about you not knowing shit about producing was wrong, then you would have known what Dre does as a producer.

and yeah you'll probably find lots of people that feel the same way as you, but i don't care about subjective biased opinions( not to mention that there's a lot of shallow people on this planet; not you though).
i care about objectivity.
and if you did so too, and checked proper sources, you would have known what exactly Dre does + what his partners do + why Dre is the locomotive (aka the frontman
).
i will continue to counter the claim that his partners make Dr.Dre.
i mean you can even clearly hear why Dre is the frontman in his music: he has switched partners so many times, yet you can hear in his music that it has his name written all over it ( not meaning literally, before you start making a joke about that).
not to mention that his (ex) partners give him props for his contributions ( excluding the bitter ones off course), because they actually know what they're talking about.
Dawaun Parker & Mark Batson for example, do their part & get acknowledged for that too, that's fair.

you may want to hear what the music sounds like when Dre does everything by himself, but to me it wouldn't really make a difference, other than Dre playing the actual instruments himself, while playing similar notes.
as far as Paris & your comments: those had more to do with Paris the person, than what he strictly does as a producer.
the fact remains that he works similar as Dre: you can take that however you like, but there's no way around it.

- if you feel that you're wasting your time, then do what you feel is better. it's not that i love having an argument with you, but i do what i think is necessary.
the sarcasm helps me get my point across: i'm sorry if i insulted/disrespected you, but the sarcasm wasn't meant to reach such a goal(as it's nothing personal).

but i don't take back any of the statements i made, as the points still stand.
i actually don't understand why you can't see that you're being biased about Dr.Dre as a producer.
Dr.Dre working with musicians doesn't discredit him as a producer.
Dre is the frontman, whether you like it or not.
you can continue to come up with the silly statements & back them up with weak arguments, but i will come back strong & smash the view you have about Dr.Dre's contributions.

go ahead and make a poll, but for the billionth time, i don't care about bullshit opinions.
i already know what the outcome of such a poll would be.
it's like a monthly event that some bitter poster makes a topic about Dr.Dre taking too much credit.
you need more objectivity support your view, otherwise it's pointless.

anyway i appreciate that you tried to come clean, i guess this is a beginning.
but other that your short apology, you still don't recognise the mistakes you made, so you're falling short with trying to end the argument.
not to mention that you point the finger at me again.
i can't help you any further with pointing out the mistakes you made: you need to figure that out yourself via self reflection.
i didn't start it.

« Last Edit: May 12, 2009, 01:48:20 PM by From Dre-Day to Helter Skelter »

Conan

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • "Holler at your Uncle Snoopy..."
« Reply #498 on: May 12, 2009, 02:52:03 PM »
I've noticed a lot of people saying Relapse is better than The Eminem Show. I think some of you are just happy that Relapse wasn't an abortion like Encore. The Eminem Show is still way better than Relapse.

easily, The Eminem Show is a near classic in my book.

but this is hated on WAY too much & its way better than Encore.

some of you guys have to bump beautiful and get what he's saying.
;) 8)

+1 to you, sir. Wholeheartedly agree.

Haven't finished my DUBCNN review yet, but I basically suggest the same thing at one point. Excerpt:

"The album’s finest moment is undoubtedly “Beautiful.” A startlingly poignant outpouring, it is perhaps the only moment on Relapse that snapshots Marshall Mathers’ current existence. Sounding uncharacteristically beaten, Em is heartbreaking as he explains how his self-imposed exile has left him, “So fucking depressed.” The track is as telling as it is affecting, however, and goes some way to explaining Relapse’s perceived weaknesses. If the jokes sound labored, it’s because they probably are; “I think I’m starting to lose my sense of humor / Everything’s so tense and gloom,” is his haunting confirmation. The album’s occasional incoherence is also suddenly understandable. If Relapse lacks satisfactory insight into the life of the best rapper alive, it’s simply because he no longer has a life to rap about. Untrusting of outsiders that cater to his whims like, “A fucking manservant,” his retreat to Detroit consequentially left him alienated from the wider world."
"Shit ain't all peaches and cream, and I ain't Sara Lee, bitch!" - Lloyd Banks

"I'm Morpheus in this Hip-Hop Matrix, exposing fake shit." - Common

"With consecutive platinum hits, I up my status. Ain't no more Calvin Broadus!" - Snoop

"Look at all these conscious rappers - guess who influenced them?" - KRS One

Action!

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #499 on: May 12, 2009, 04:29:49 PM »
I've noticed a lot of people saying Relapse is better than The Eminem Show. I think some of you are just happy that Relapse wasn't an abortion like Encore. The Eminem Show is still way better than Relapse.

;) 8)

Haven't finished my DUBCNN review yet, but I basically suggest the same thing at one point. Excerpt:

"The album’s finest moment is undoubtedly “Beautiful.” A startlingly poignant outpouring, it is perhaps the only moment on Relapse that snapshots Marshall Mathers’ current existence. Sounding uncharacteristically beaten, Em is heartbreaking as he explains how his self-imposed exile has left him, “So fucking depressed.” The track is as telling as it is affecting, however, and goes some way to explaining Relapse’s perceived weaknesses. If the jokes sound labored, it’s because they probably are; “I think I’m starting to lose my sense of humor / Everything’s so tense and gloom,” is his haunting confirmation. The album’s occasional incoherence is also suddenly understandable. If Relapse lacks satisfactory insight into the life of the best rapper alive, it’s simply because he no longer has a life to rap about. Untrusting of outsiders that cater to his whims like, “A fucking manservant,” his retreat to Detroit consequentially left him alienated from the wider world."

Based on this paragraph,

Good lord! Finally someone gets it!  It's not brain science.  Mutherfuckas need to listen to what's being spit more.

Though, you're review might be harsh, I don't know.
Cool breeze; I'm hopping out of new Beams
My outfit ran me a few G's but none of that will matter if you leave
I used to be an Adam with two Eves and shawtys automatically do me
Excuse me, all that happened before you doesn't matter
I'm a vision of the future climbing the success ladder
Recline, in the mean time, twenty three shine, diamond bling blind as I rewind
- Banks

Chamillitary Click

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The greatest entertainer ever.
« Reply #500 on: May 12, 2009, 05:15:29 PM »

;) 8)

wow, sound like a dope review! :o

can't wait for you to drop it. ;) 8)

Dre-Day

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • No justice, no peace
« Reply #501 on: May 13, 2009, 12:25:56 AM »
^yeah, like the analysis.

Drop A Gem On Em

« Reply #502 on: May 13, 2009, 12:59:00 AM »
I aint listen to a full track yet, except for the singles. i wanna hear that shit fresh when i buy it.

meecca

• 'G'
« Reply #503 on: May 13, 2009, 02:12:06 AM »
I aint listen to a full track yet, except for the singles. i wanna hear that shit fresh when i buy it.

yeah, me too. At first I wasn't gonna buy it but then I read so many positive posts about this that I preordered it 8)
And do a driveby, fuck that, I walk by and I spray shit
then carve my name in your pavement

da chronic

• Muthafuckin' OG
« Reply #504 on: May 13, 2009, 02:35:08 AM »
Hey guys,

The last page (20) was really interesting. Some of you have really good points about the rain man character and the lyrics on beautiful that says it all.

Can't wait for the review of the album.

Eminem and Dr. Dre are both pure musical geniuses and the album is DOPE !
Perfect album to listen to blunted, with all the details in the music, it sounds crazy. Especially with good headphones of course, its very different.
I listen to it everyday, and the melodies are stuck in my head.

Relapse 2 and Detox are gonna be insane...

The D.O.C and

Rob

• Lil Geezy
« Reply #505 on: May 13, 2009, 07:21:38 AM »

yeah, me too. At first I wasn't gonna buy it but then I read so many positive posts about this that I preordered it 8)

Make sure you sit real comfortable with nice headphones or speakers and play that shit from beginning to end ;)
This is not an album that everyone are gonna forget about after 2 weeks or so, its the kind of album the haters will start recognize after a while hehe
First i didnt fell Dre´s new style, i thought it sounded too much like the beats he gives to 50cent, but now when i listened to it everyday non-stop (which i never do with albums) i can hear the greatness that Dre wants to deliver to our ears - He REALLY did it with this one! Eminem too, he rides thoose beats like no one else could! (Well of course Crooked & Co could too)
3AM, crack a bottle, We Made you and For old Times Sake are the songs i dont listen to so much - I cant figure out why they released those songs as teasers, it makes no sense because the album includes so many other songs that are str8 BANGERS!!

Where did all the Haters go that claims that Dre falled off?

Hahaha this album is a long-ass middlefinger pointed str8 in your BitchAss-Faces!
« Last Edit: May 13, 2009, 07:56:43 AM by Rob »
Now you don´t really know me, The muthafukkin´ nigga from the D.P.G, The K.U.R.U.P.T, i´m too smooth.../Kurupt - Dogg Pound Gangztaz

morbidenigma

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #506 on: May 13, 2009, 09:08:07 AM »
fcuk Dre n his generic production.. his beats just get worse n worse

Conan

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • "Holler at your Uncle Snoopy..."
« Reply #507 on: May 13, 2009, 12:03:30 PM »
Question: anyone know if a CLEAN version of the album leaked? I've got the explicit rip, but I'd only be able to play the edited one at the day job.  :-\
"Shit ain't all peaches and cream, and I ain't Sara Lee, bitch!" - Lloyd Banks

"I'm Morpheus in this Hip-Hop Matrix, exposing fake shit." - Common

"With consecutive platinum hits, I up my status. Ain't no more Calvin Broadus!" - Snoop

"Look at all these conscious rappers - guess who influenced them?" - KRS One

HipHopISalive

• 'G'
« Reply #508 on: May 13, 2009, 02:36:31 PM »
just gave this album a solid couple listens and the whole concept is very cool... its dark eearie the only thing i dont like about it is songs like "We Made You" and "Crack A Bottle" it seems as if they dont belong with this dark album.
CHARGERS, BLAZERS, CANUCKS, UCLA

Rickdeeznutz

• Muthafuckin' Don!
The wait is over…Eminem’s Relapse is here
Category: Music
Starting today, Eminem fans can pre-order exclusive versions of Eminem’s long-awaited album, Relapse.

Here are a few of the things you’ll find only at www.eminem.com:

·Autographed Relapse prints
·Limited-edition Relapse T-shirts and Hoodies
·Premium 320kbps MP3 downloads
·iPod compatible videos
·Bonus songs, CDs, Vinyl, and more
All Relapse pre-orders come with an immediate download of an iPod-compatible video for “3 a.m.”, and fans will be emailed a link to download the remaining digital content when Relapse is available on May 19.

Head on over to Eminem.com and pre-order your copy of Relapse now!

« Last Edit: May 13, 2009, 04:28:16 PM by Rickdeeznutz »