Author Topic: Official Eminem "Relapse" Discussion Thread  (Read 20878 times)

Chamillitary Click

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The greatest entertainer ever.
Re: Official Eminem "Relapse" Discussion Thread
« Reply #165 on: May 07, 2009, 07:23:21 PM »
i can bump this shit.

the beats bang, so great instrumentally.

lyrics are different from song to song, some better than others.

if your doing drugs you could so VIBE to this album. 8)

MMLP=SSLP(classics)>>>Infinite>Eminem Show(great albums)>>>>>>>>>>Relapse>>>Encore(his weakest shit).

now i just gotta sit back & still bump Padded Room (album of the year :P) & Relapse from time to time & just pray for a great 50 album (high-er hopes after hearing these Dre beats & 50 can spit over beats like Dre gave Em); hopefully then Dre drops Detox & then we gotta hope the Relapse 2 theory is true. ;D

dont sleep on Em's flow on this album though, he could use some lyrical work though. :-\

6/10, but bumpable, for me. 8)

DTG Entertainment

« Reply #166 on: May 07, 2009, 07:25:08 PM »
The only reason Dre's production on The Documentary was so fine was it being made for a version of Detox and Game getting the leftovers after the project got scrapped.  And, as it goes, 3 of them were originally 50's but that's besides the point because the og intent was for Detox, not Game.   That said, Dre did fine with this release.  He delivered the goods and had a cohesive product.

Lyrical/creative analysis

Relapse begins with Dr.West.  We're dropped into Marshall Mather's checking out of Rehab for his abuse of alcohol and pills.  Marshall is having a conversation with Dr.West concerning his concerns of relapsing into addiction post-rehab and controlling himself through the 12-step program.  He is encouraged by Dr.West to give into drugs to get through his worries.   As the pressure builds on Marshall Dr.West transforms into an alter ego.  It is his devil that is unleashed.  An alarm clock rings, it's a nightmare.

He wakes up at 3 AM.  The door is unlocked, Marshall has relapsed, and is now Slim Shady.  The usual dosage of grotesque depictions of violence occurs as Shady describes his memory murder.  A review of Marshall's experiences with addictions are included prior to relapsing are included.  He's up late at night, can't sleep, and wishes to sleep so he returns to his drugs.  3 AM tracks the transformation from Marshall to Slim Shady; by the third verse Shady is in full mode.  

He takes us back to the beginning, to the days of his youth, to the day when his addiction began.  This act is part of the 12 steps.  One must admit they're addicted, that they're powerless.  He tells us that through his Mother actions that that he exists today but that despite the outside circumstances he is no different then his Mother.  This is less of a critique as it is more of a review.  There is no hatred for his mother, only the realizition that this is how events in his life went down, this is how he became who he is today.

The story of his past continues as Shady tells us of the rape he received as a child from his step-father. Always aware of the gossip, on the chorus Shady addresses those who wonder about his mental state.  He continues to face what has haunted him.      

Shady then focuses the light on the thoughts that race through his head today: failed relationships, hatred and jealousy, and insecurities about accepatance.  He demonstrates that he is Shady and he is insane.  He gives in to the perceptions.  

His continued desires to be accepted are expressed on Hello.  Another source of why he turns to addictions are described - women.  Tonya transitions the story of external problems from his past to his issues with females.    
Shady's past experiences with relationships are described on Same Song & Dance.  We Made You continues as a lighter variation of Same Song & Dance, this time focusing on female celebrities.  

Medicine Ball continues the tale of addiction and how Shady constantly attacks the world as if it were his playtoy.  This all roots from the belief that people have got to hate him.  

Paul comes in as a voice of reason, he comes in as the perception of us the audience.  Shady responds to the critique by telling the world to accept it, this is who he is, it's a part of Marshall, and dares the audience to delve into the sick thoughts within on Stay Wide Awake.  He continues to appeal to this recommendation on the next track Old Time's Sake.  The track also begins to address another addiction - Weed.  Must Be The Ganga confirms the depth of his addiction.  

Mr.Mathers continues to tell us that Mathers has been gone on this cd and Shady has only existed.  We know why, Marshall overdosed on medication that he used to try to fall asleep.  Deja Vu is no longer Shady. Eminem is back and he tells the story of his recent addiction until his overdose.  During the track Shady is present but is underneath as a whisper.  

Marshall comes out and tells us his truth on Beautiful.  He reviews his career, his position in life, his current actions, his thoughts, and his fears.  It's his truth without the devil, without Shady.  He's told us his story in the past 16 tracks - his you, his alter ego, his addictions.  Marshall knows all this but it doesn't matter, this is therapy.  It doesn't matter that he's said this already, that he's expressed his contempt for his mother, his hatred for the world, his desrive to be accepted - none of this matters.  This is Marshall Mathers.  You are are you.  This is what he wants to do.  You do what you want to do.  He's being himself.

Crack a Bottle is the celebration of this realization, of being yourself, of his career and what he has done.  His therapy is nearly done.  He has made it through his post-rehab phase.  Eminem is ready to come back so he visits Steve Berman.  Berman is the audience who's waited for Eminem, who's tired of his antics - Berman represents the world outside of Marshall.  

Underground concludes the album.  Eminem is back to form.  He resorts back into his battle flow,  his crazy rhymes, his passion, and he's ready to prove the world he's back.  He's admitted to his story and he even makes fun of his own material via Ken Kannif - We Made You's corniness and poppiness is made fune of.  

In conclusion of this lyrical analysis, honesty and self-expression is why I dig Encore and it's why I dig Relapse.  It's all deliberately planed out.  It's the story of Marshall Mather/Eminem/Slim Shady.  A story is told of part of what he's been up to the in the past couple of years.  His accents are on purpose, his lack of emotion on tracks is on purpose.  They all serve to be part of the collective whole.  That's why I dig this.  It's not just a collection of random tracks that sound hot like on most albums.  

As do the beats match what's being spit?  I would say yeah they do.  Even those more manufactured towards consumer appeal such as We Made You are picked at via Ken Kannif.

True, other artists would have done something different but Eminem made it his own.  That's why I dig this shit.  He only presents what he knows and doesn't tell us otherwise.  He doesn't rap as if he's slinging weight or packing heat or as the hot headed Shady he used to be.  He even know the material itself is kind of contrived and tells us this but he doesn't care because it's something he has to go through, this is how he wants to be represented.  

I say it's as good as Encore.  I'll stick with my og score of 6.5/7 out of ten.  Why? I don't know.  Lack of re-playability for one.  But it's still all dope.  

Nice explanation +1!

CaCtUs2003

« Reply #167 on: May 07, 2009, 07:26:06 PM »
Meh, I like the album.  Nowhere near Eminem's other shit (Marshall Mathers LP) but I still like it.

Lunatic

« Reply #168 on: May 07, 2009, 07:27:39 PM »
the chris reeves part on medicine ball represents everything that is wrong today with Eminem. He forced the shady persona on this album, doesn't feel natural at all. I remember when Em would make fun or take shots at ppl he actually had issues with. A shot at Chris Reeves who is dead on this album is so stupid, and makes no sense, it's unbelievable.

Co-Director of Site Content For Raptalk.Net
Staff Writer For WordOfSouth.Com
Staff Writer For Illuminati2G.Net
Staff Writer For SoPrupRadio.com

Retro

• Muthafuckin' OG
« Reply #169 on: May 07, 2009, 07:29:56 PM »
Ok I listened to everything up to "Same song and dance" and the album is better than i thought. The album feels and sounds like Eminem, Im not really noticing the accent that much anymore.

Chamillitary Click

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #170 on: May 07, 2009, 07:32:47 PM »
^word.

what do you think about Underground?

that song sounds so good to me, he goes in hard, with an angry flow.

if he made a whole cd with that flow over a hard beat like that; it would be some old school shit. 8)

Hatesrats™

• Tha Drunk Gem-in-I
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • "Gz Up, Hoes Down"
« Reply #171 on: May 07, 2009, 07:41:00 PM »
the chris reeves part on medicine ball represents everything that is wrong today with Eminem. He forced the shady persona on this album, doesn't feel natural at all. I remember when Em would make fun or take shots at ppl he actually had issues with. A shot at Chris Reeves who is dead on this album is so stupid, and makes no sense, it's unbelievable.

I agree. it was Laaaaaaaaaaaaame.

Action!

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #172 on: May 07, 2009, 07:45:49 PM »

It doesn't feel right to you but it's exactly what Eminem/Marshall Mathers wanted.  He doesn't give a fuck.  He says shit just to say shit.  His chorus addresses you.  Tell him, "how should he begin it?  how should it all end?"  

Hell, that's his point on Beautiful.  He's doing him, you're doing you.  It doesn't matter!  
Cool breeze; I'm hopping out of new Beams
My outfit ran me a few G's but none of that will matter if you leave
I used to be an Adam with two Eves and shawtys automatically do me
Excuse me, all that happened before you doesn't matter
I'm a vision of the future climbing the success ladder
Recline, in the mean time, twenty three shine, diamond bling blind as I rewind
- Banks

D-Nice

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I Made Jesus Walks/So I Ain't Never Going To Hell
« Reply #173 on: May 07, 2009, 07:54:34 PM »
Just put this on, so far so good for me.

Chamillitary Click

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #174 on: May 07, 2009, 07:55:52 PM »
Just put this on, so far so good for me.

i am actually pretty interested in your opinon of this lol.

your always 100% honest on shit. 8)

drop thoughts when your through. ;)

J.D. Wykid, Esq.

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Id rather be rich n unhappy than poor n miserable
« Reply #175 on: May 07, 2009, 08:03:18 PM »
whos got a link?

'Oh I can't see him, I can't see God', YA'LL CAN'T SEE FUCKIN' AIR NEITHER!
Quote from: QuietTruth
Prove to me the wind. Show me the wind man. I want proof of that shit. Cuz I don't see it.

LyRiCaL_G

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I love YaBB 1 Gold!
« Reply #176 on: May 07, 2009, 08:10:34 PM »
Anyway who listens to encore and think its good hiphop music dont know shit.

As for this, ive only got upto bagpipes from baghdad so far, its interesting hearing the beats off dre, theres crazy variety in the beats so far...for example, this in comparison to insane are completely different which are both so different from 3am...

Eminem is going nice in terms of flow on insane in his second verse, but whats with all this accent shit? He words dont even stand out, nothing fits out, hardly any quotables, just stupid shit.

Dres music sounds pretty live upto now, eminem on the other hand, seems like a dude who if he could try and be a lil more serious with his energy on a beat could do damage, instead he keeps fuckin up these joints lol...and i aint even heard the rest of the album yet...sounds pretty bizzare so far...

oh and my mom beat horns sounds like 'whats the difference' horns...nearly exactly the same, yet look how eminem sounds today on a beat of that sort in comparison to before...he ruining ill beats so far

Dogg Ly Dogg

« Reply #177 on: May 07, 2009, 08:18:28 PM »
Ok I just gave the album his first listen and its not so bad...
Eminem rap are acceptable and Dr. Dre got some dope beats on it
"HELLO" is the shit!

LyRiCaL_G

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I love YaBB 1 Gold!
« Reply #178 on: May 07, 2009, 08:19:13 PM »
oh stay wide awake has a live beat, infact this beat is some vintage dre shit, funny it has no co producers!
« Last Edit: May 07, 2009, 08:20:55 PM by LyRiCaL_G »

D-Nice

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I Made Jesus Walks/So I Ain't Never Going To Hell
« Reply #179 on: May 07, 2009, 08:20:54 PM »
So far not bad. Far from his best though. The accent is different let me say that. This album is missing those lyrical bangers like a Remember Me, Squaredance, Till I Collaspe, etc. Almost seems like he is in character too long on this album (Shady). Beats are FIRE, those saying Dre should retire I personally do get it. Eminem's style has made Dre's style completely change and that shows evolution and range in him as a producer. Most of the beats I can't even tell Dre did them (one of the things that sucks when ya burn albums early lol).

Again not his best but I still bump the album. Might grow on me a lil bit.