Author Topic: Official Eminem "Relapse" Discussion Thread  (Read 21112 times)

Bch

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • NoSuchThing as Failures Only QuittRs & BullshittRs
Re: Official Eminem "Relapse" Discussion Thread
« Reply #180 on: May 07, 2009, 08:21:39 PM »
damn man.. im torn here
i'd expect so much more from a Dr Dre beat .. the usual basic perfectly mixed Kick  Snare/Clap 1.2 .. however im not feelin alot of the elements he fills those empty spaces with..disapointed

i am feelin what meho said, those beats are sick.. underground is dope as hell though em's delivery is shitty as hell on it dunno

Chamillitary Click

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The greatest entertainer ever.
« Reply #181 on: May 07, 2009, 08:22:30 PM »
Again not his best but I still bump the album. Might grow on me a lil bit.

thats the best way to sum it up. 8)

LyRiCaL_G

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I love YaBB 1 Gold!
« Reply #182 on: May 07, 2009, 08:23:15 PM »
yooo the stay wide awake beat is ill for real! Second time saying it haha

D-Nice

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I Made Jesus Walks/So I Ain't Never Going To Hell
« Reply #183 on: May 07, 2009, 08:26:00 PM »

Yeah my ear for music has evolved enough that I can still enjoy albums from artists even if it is not their best work. I don't go into it listening and expecting MMLP or SSLP, Those are their own albums and both great in their own right.

Stinger

• Lil Geezy
« Reply #184 on: May 07, 2009, 08:26:38 PM »
The only reason Dre's production on The Documentary was so fine was it being made for a version of Detox and Game getting the leftovers after the project got scrapped.  And, as it goes, 3 of them were originally 50's but that's besides the point because the og intent was for Detox, not Game.   That said, Dre did fine with this release.  He delivered the goods and had a cohesive product.

Lyrical/creative analysis

Relapse begins with Dr.West.  We're dropped into Marshall Mather's checking out of Rehab for his abuse of alcohol and pills.  Marshall is having a conversation with Dr.West concerning his concerns of relapsing into addiction post-rehab and controlling himself through the 12-step program.  He is encouraged by Dr.West to give into drugs to get through his worries.   As the pressure builds on Marshall Dr.West transforms into an alter ego.  It is his devil that is unleashed.  An alarm clock rings, it's a nightmare.

He wakes up at 3 AM.  The door is unlocked, Marshall has relapsed, and is now Slim Shady.  The usual dosage of grotesque depictions of violence occurs as Shady describes his memory murder.  A review of Marshall's experiences with addictions are included prior to relapsing are included.  He's up late at night, can't sleep, and wishes to sleep so he returns to his drugs.  3 AM tracks the transformation from Marshall to Slim Shady; by the third verse Shady is in full mode.  

He takes us back to the beginning, to the days of his youth, to the day when his addiction began.  This act is part of the 12 steps.  One must admit they're addicted, that they're powerless.  He tells us that through his Mother actions that that he exists today but that despite the outside circumstances he is no different then his Mother.  This is less of a critique as it is more of a review.  There is no hatred for his mother, only the realizition that this is how events in his life went down, this is how he became who he is today.

The story of his past continues as Shady tells us of the rape he received as a child from his step-father. Always aware of the gossip, on the chorus Shady addresses those who wonder about his mental state.  He continues to face what has haunted him.      

Shady then focuses the light on the thoughts that race through his head today: failed relationships, hatred and jealousy, and insecurities about accepatance.  He demonstrates that he is Shady and he is insane.  He gives in to the perceptions.  

His continued desires to be accepted are expressed on Hello.  Another source of why he turns to addictions are described - women.  Tonya transitions the story of external problems from his past to his issues with females.    
Shady's past experiences with relationships are described on Same Song & Dance.  We Made You continues as a lighter variation of Same Song & Dance, this time focusing on female celebrities.  

Medicine Ball continues the tale of addiction and how Shady constantly attacks the world as if it were his playtoy.  This all roots from the belief that people have got to hate him.  

Paul comes in as a voice of reason, he comes in as the perception of us the audience.  Shady responds to the critique by telling the world to accept it, this is who he is, it's a part of Marshall, and dares the audience to delve into the sick thoughts within on Stay Wide Awake.  He continues to appeal to this recommendation on the next track Old Time's Sake.  The track also begins to address another addiction - Weed.  Must Be The Ganga confirms the depth of his addiction.  

Mr.Mathers continues to tell us that Mathers has been gone on this cd and Shady has only existed.  We know why, Marshall overdosed on medication that he used to try to fall asleep.  Deja Vu is no longer Shady. Eminem is back and he tells the story of his recent addiction until his overdose.  During the track Shady is present but is underneath as a whisper.  

Marshall comes out and tells us his truth on Beautiful.  He reviews his career, his position in life, his current actions, his thoughts, and his fears.  It's his truth without the devil, without Shady.  He's told us his story in the past 16 tracks - his you, his alter ego, his addictions.  Marshall knows all this but it doesn't matter, this is therapy.  It doesn't matter that he's said this already, that he's expressed his contempt for his mother, his hatred for the world, his desrive to be accepted - none of this matters.  This is Marshall Mathers.  You are are you.  This is what he wants to do.  You do what you want to do.  He's being himself.

Crack a Bottle is the celebration of this realization, of being yourself, of his career and what he has done.  His therapy is nearly done.  He has made it through his post-rehab phase.  Eminem is ready to come back so he visits Steve Berman.  Berman is the audience who's waited for Eminem, who's tired of his antics - Berman represents the world outside of Marshall.  

Underground concludes the album.  Eminem is back to form.  He resorts back into his battle flow,  his crazy rhymes, his passion, and he's ready to prove the world he's back.  He's admitted to his story and he even makes fun of his own material via Ken Kannif - We Made You's corniness and poppiness is made fune of.  

In conclusion of this lyrical analysis, honesty and self-expression is why I dig Encore and it's why I dig Relapse.  It's all deliberately planed out.  It's the story of Marshall Mather/Eminem/Slim Shady.  A story is told of part of what he's been up to the in the past couple of years.  His accents are on purpose, his lack of emotion on tracks is on purpose.  They all serve to be part of the collective whole.  That's why I dig this.  It's not just a collection of random tracks that sound hot like on most albums.  

As do the beats match what's being spit?  I would say yeah they do.  Even those more manufactured towards consumer appeal such as We Made You are picked at via Ken Kannif.

True, other artists would have done something different but Eminem made it his own.  That's why I dig this shit.  He only presents what he knows and doesn't tell us otherwise.  He doesn't rap as if he's slinging weight or packing heat or as the hot headed Shady he used to be.  He even know the material itself is kind of contrived and tells us this but he doesn't care because it's something he has to go through, this is how he wants to be represented.  

I say it's as good as Encore.  I'll stick with my og score of 6.5/7 out of ten.  Why? I don't know.  Lack of re-playability for one.  But it's still all dope.  

I read this and then listend to the album.  Shit makes sense.  And pretty much says this album isn't as good as relapse 2 will be.  Well i can hope.

Bch

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • NoSuchThing as Failures Only QuittRs & BullshittRs
« Reply #185 on: May 07, 2009, 08:27:30 PM »
wow.. that engineer and dre mixed the hell out of that bass line from Deja VU.. shit sounds lovely

Chamillitary Click

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The greatest entertainer ever.
« Reply #186 on: May 07, 2009, 08:29:29 PM »

Yeah my ear for music has evolved enough that I can still enjoy albums from artists even if it is not their best work. I don't go into it listening and expecting MMLP or SSLP, Those are their own albums and both great in their own right.

exactly, i tried to lower my expectations & this actually surpassed mine, so it sounds good to me.

if i went in expecting his best shit, it would have been a major disappointment.

plus its a familar voice with a different look.

to be honest, i kind of dig the hooks on this album; they just fit the song, even if their kind of "weird". they are a good weird. 8)

Matty

« Reply #187 on: May 07, 2009, 08:32:24 PM »
can anyone else hear NATE DOGG on that HELLO joint? that beat is the perfect kinda joint for nate to kill the hook on.

D-Nice

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I Made Jesus Walks/So I Ain't Never Going To Hell
« Reply #188 on: May 07, 2009, 08:33:03 PM »

exactly, i tried to lower my expectations & this actually surpassed mine, so it sounds good to me.

if i went in expecting his best shit, it would have been a major disappointment.

plus its a familar voice with a different look.

to be honest, i kind of dig the hooks on this album; they just fit the song, even if their kind of "weird". they are a good weird. 8)

Stay Wide Awake he lyrically assualted that track. His cadence was dope on that.

LyRiCaL_G

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I love YaBB 1 Gold!
« Reply #189 on: May 07, 2009, 08:42:46 PM »
arite quick listen first listen off this and my thoughts,

Stand out tracks - Underground, beautiful, stay wide awake, bagpipes from baghdad and insane. Beautiful and underground actually have eminem spitting without no wierd shit and he actally is coming good on these tracks. Underground has a heated beat.

Stay wide awake, sounds like sometimes from between the gunit and game era, it has that effect between the drums on the hook and the piano is dope, nice dark dre beat. Eminem is on some accent shit again, makes him barely listenable. Insane and bagpipes from bagdad have dope beats too but again, eminems fucking up.

I would say replapse = fail, as meho said, alot of this shit sounds horrible, first listen is usually the most fresh and there really is no stand out shit on here, sure albums grow and all but on first listen, im not impressed, i felt like skippping alot of shit.

I dont know what to think of eminem as an artist anymore.

Dre came good, a few times very good but its about the whole package, and this on first listen = major fail

pz!

Lil Jay

• Solution Of Prostitution
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #190 on: May 07, 2009, 08:54:14 PM »
While Dre beats are very impressive, he really did his thing on this one, he experimented alot and the sound is all over the place. Eminem ruins the majority of the tracks with the retarted accent and even when he uses his normal voice I haven't been impressed. He told his story, being the white rapper and all, it was even under more of a microscope. This will have zero replay value, unless an instrumental cd gets released.

This pretty much sums up what I wrote in my "I just heard Relapse" thread  ;)
www.dubcnn.com - west coast news network  |  www.westcoast2k.net - independent west coast hip hop network

LyRiCaL_G

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I love YaBB 1 Gold!
« Reply #191 on: May 07, 2009, 08:55:50 PM »
relapse= encore 2,  i guess y'all were right. wonder what relapse 2 will be like.. ::)

still love the stay wide awake beat though lol

pz

BiggBoogaBiff

« Reply #192 on: May 07, 2009, 09:31:36 PM »
What's with everybody being a tuff critic?  It's good music, it wasn't meant 2 be mind shattering or the soundtrack for world domination.

Triple OG Rapsodie

« Reply #193 on: May 07, 2009, 09:43:27 PM »
relapse= encore 2,  i guess y'all were right. wonder what relapse 2 will be like.. ::)

still love the stay wide awake beat though lol

pz

Relapse 2 is Relapse re-recorded in Em's normal voice

R1ZE

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Do 4 Love
« Reply #194 on: May 07, 2009, 09:43:55 PM »
What's with everybody being a tuff critic?  It's good music, it wasn't meant 2 be mind shattering or the soundtrack for world domination.

people have diff tastes... for some people rapping about lindsey lohan and popping vicodins isnt what we wanna hear