Author Topic: Official Eminem "Relapse" Discussion Thread  (Read 20879 times)

Reventón Bogotá Rolla

• Muthafuckin' Double OG
  • High Roller
Re: Official Eminem "Relapse" Discussion Thread
« Reply #195 on: May 07, 2009, 10:00:37 PM »
These beat are too fresh and generic. Most of the beats are different variations of each other (ie: My Mom/Insane)...

May sound dissapointing at first listen but I'm sure these song will grow to be mediocre...

2009 Kid CuDi - Man on the Moon: The Guardians

Sickaluffa

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • my bitch drives what u drive and she got new tits
« Reply #196 on: May 07, 2009, 10:13:43 PM »
I got the full album now
holla if you need a link

toss me a link

dameons

« Reply #197 on: May 07, 2009, 10:48:22 PM »
A good album for sure . Darker than I thought , but we knew "Slim Shady" was gonna be back with a bullet . But , it does feel like it's missing something. Beats thump , skits are top quality , but the beats have a similarity through out the disc . This will be seen as a solid effort , above average .It just needed a little more personality , maybe a few top notch guest spots to stir it up.

Lucifuge

« Reply #198 on: May 07, 2009, 10:54:04 PM »
What's with everybody being a tuff critic?  It's good music, it wasn't meant 2 be mind shattering or the soundtrack for world domination.

people have diff tastes... for some people rapping about lindsey lohan and popping vicodins isnt what we wanna hear

what people wonna hear? Nate Dogg singig abaut geting bitches and he can fuck hes own wife?? Or Hearing Kurupt or Knock rapping abaut gang bang and they never beat some one..what u wonna hear..?
ALESSANDRO DEL PIERO!!!

Detox 2000Never

tyranasaurus rex like fuck a bitch
i once saw a pterdactyl fuck a bitch
eat a bowl these bitch gobbling dick
hoes forgot to eat a dick a shut the fuck up
roll through crenshaw on my pterdactyl like what up!
By kevin t as Kurupt :D

Booz

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Ookkonää Oulusta, pelekääkkö nää polliisia?
« Reply #199 on: May 07, 2009, 10:56:57 PM »
Well obviously it's much better than Encore, pretty good album.
You can actually listen to the whole album without getting headache.

BiggBoogaBiff

« Reply #200 on: May 07, 2009, 11:04:10 PM »
What's with everybody being a tuff critic?  It's good music, it wasn't meant 2 be mind shattering or the soundtrack for world domination.

people have diff tastes... for some people rapping about lindsey lohan and popping vicodins isnt what we wanna hear

what people wonna hear? Nate Dogg singig abaut geting bitches and he can fuck hes own wife?? Or Hearing Kurupt or Knock rapping abaut gang bang and they never beat some one..what u wonna hear..?

True shit.

Different taste is one thing but people take their opinions and themselves way too serious.  I'd like to see someone on dubcc makes music better and not some FL Studio groove that's a variation of their favorite producers work.

maybe if y'all shorten Relapse to look a little bit like this then y'all all be okay

01 - Steve Berman
02 - Hello
03 - My Mom
04 - Mr. Mathers
05 - Deja Vu
06 - Beautiful
07 - Stay Wide Awake
08 - Insane
09 - Paul
10 - Medicine Ball
11 - Same Song & Same Dance
12 - Underground/Ken Kaniff
« Last Edit: May 07, 2009, 11:27:39 PM by RadioTube! Da Don »

dubsmith_nz

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #201 on: May 07, 2009, 11:28:10 PM »
The only reason Dre's production on The Documentary was so fine was it being made for a version of Detox and Game getting the leftovers after the project got scrapped.  And, as it goes, 3 of them were originally 50's but that's besides the point because the og intent was for Detox, not Game.   That said, Dre did fine with this release.  He delivered the goods and had a cohesive product.

Lyrical/creative analysis

Relapse begins with Dr.West.  We're dropped into Marshall Mather's checking out of Rehab for his abuse of alcohol and pills.  Marshall is having a conversation with Dr.West concerning his concerns of relapsing into addiction post-rehab and controlling himself through the 12-step program.  He is encouraged by Dr.West to give into drugs to get through his worries.   As the pressure builds on Marshall Dr.West transforms into an alter ego.  It is his devil that is unleashed.  An alarm clock rings, it's a nightmare.

He wakes up at 3 AM.  The door is unlocked, Marshall has relapsed, and is now Slim Shady.  The usual dosage of grotesque depictions of violence occurs as Shady describes his memory murder.  A review of Marshall's experiences with addictions are included prior to relapsing are included.  He's up late at night, can't sleep, and wishes to sleep so he returns to his drugs.  3 AM tracks the transformation from Marshall to Slim Shady; by the third verse Shady is in full mode.  

He takes us back to the beginning, to the days of his youth, to the day when his addiction began.  This act is part of the 12 steps.  One must admit they're addicted, that they're powerless.  He tells us that through his Mother actions that that he exists today but that despite the outside circumstances he is no different then his Mother.  This is less of a critique as it is more of a review.  There is no hatred for his mother, only the realizition that this is how events in his life went down, this is how he became who he is today.

The story of his past continues as Shady tells us of the rape he received as a child from his step-father. Always aware of the gossip, on the chorus Shady addresses those who wonder about his mental state.  He continues to face what has haunted him.      

Shady then focuses the light on the thoughts that race through his head today: failed relationships, hatred and jealousy, and insecurities about accepatance.  He demonstrates that he is Shady and he is insane.  He gives in to the perceptions.  

His continued desires to be accepted are expressed on Hello.  Another source of why he turns to addictions are described - women.  Tonya transitions the story of external problems from his past to his issues with females.    
Shady's past experiences with relationships are described on Same Song & Dance.  We Made You continues as a lighter variation of Same Song & Dance, this time focusing on female celebrities.  

Medicine Ball continues the tale of addiction and how Shady constantly attacks the world as if it were his playtoy.  This all roots from the belief that people have got to hate him.  

Paul comes in as a voice of reason, he comes in as the perception of us the audience.  Shady responds to the critique by telling the world to accept it, this is who he is, it's a part of Marshall, and dares the audience to delve into the sick thoughts within on Stay Wide Awake.  He continues to appeal to this recommendation on the next track Old Time's Sake.  The track also begins to address another addiction - Weed.  Must Be The Ganga confirms the depth of his addiction.  

Mr.Mathers continues to tell us that Mathers has been gone on this cd and Shady has only existed.  We know why, Marshall overdosed on medication that he used to try to fall asleep.  Deja Vu is no longer Shady. Eminem is back and he tells the story of his recent addiction until his overdose.  During the track Shady is present but is underneath as a whisper.  

Marshall comes out and tells us his truth on Beautiful.  He reviews his career, his position in life, his current actions, his thoughts, and his fears.  It's his truth without the devil, without Shady.  He's told us his story in the past 16 tracks - his you, his alter ego, his addictions.  Marshall knows all this but it doesn't matter, this is therapy.  It doesn't matter that he's said this already, that he's expressed his contempt for his mother, his hatred for the world, his desrive to be accepted - none of this matters.  This is Marshall Mathers.  You are are you.  This is what he wants to do.  You do what you want to do.  He's being himself.

Crack a Bottle is the celebration of this realization, of being yourself, of his career and what he has done.  His therapy is nearly done.  He has made it through his post-rehab phase.  Eminem is ready to come back so he visits Steve Berman.  Berman is the audience who's waited for Eminem, who's tired of his antics - Berman represents the world outside of Marshall.  

Underground concludes the album.  Eminem is back to form.  He resorts back into his battle flow,  his crazy rhymes, his passion, and he's ready to prove the world he's back.  He's admitted to his story and he even makes fun of his own material via Ken Kannif - We Made You's corniness and poppiness is made fune of.  

In conclusion of this lyrical analysis, honesty and self-expression is why I dig Encore and it's why I dig Relapse.  It's all deliberately planed out.  It's the story of Marshall Mather/Eminem/Slim Shady.  A story is told of part of what he's been up to the in the past couple of years.  His accents are on purpose, his lack of emotion on tracks is on purpose.  They all serve to be part of the collective whole.  That's why I dig this.  It's not just a collection of random tracks that sound hot like on most albums.  

As do the beats match what's being spit?  I would say yeah they do.  Even those more manufactured towards consumer appeal such as We Made You are picked at via Ken Kannif.

True, other artists would have done something different but Eminem made it his own.  That's why I dig this shit.  He only presents what he knows and doesn't tell us otherwise.  He doesn't rap as if he's slinging weight or packing heat or as the hot headed Shady he used to be.  He even know the material itself is kind of contrived and tells us this but he doesn't care because it's something he has to go through, this is how he wants to be represented.  

I say it's as good as Encore.  I'll stick with my og score of 6.5/7 out of ten.  Why? I don't know.  Lack of re-playability for one.  But it's still all dope.  

I read this and then listend to the album.  Shit makes sense.  And pretty much says this album isn't as good as relapse 2 will be.  Well i can hope.

Yeah it sounds like Relapse 2 is where Marshalls gonna come back and murder shit. Whos the cat who mixed all of Dre's beats?

CHUCK KNOXXX

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • FUCK LOVE & FUCK THE WORLD
« Reply #202 on: May 07, 2009, 11:29:40 PM »
These are probably the best Dre beats since The Big Bang.

The only problem with this album is Eminem's sudden lack of content.  The beats are insane, the flow is still sick (aside from the accent).  Content never used to be a problem for him.  After 8 Mile told his story, he had nothing left to say.

He should of rapped about Proof, I thought Proof's death would give his music some content.
+1 i was just thinking the same thing as i listen to medicine ball.....half way thru the album and im enjoying it for the most part, and thats cuz im not over thinking or analyzing anything, just killing sum tall cans and chillin'.....way better than encore, but not better than any of his other albums.....love the production, and i thought same song and dance was dope for the record
http://www.facebook.com/AllAngles818 
CLICK ALBUM COVERS TO DOWNLOAD

TraceOneInfinite Flat Earther 96'

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Permanent Resident Flat Erth 1996 Pre-Sept. 13th
« Reply #203 on: May 07, 2009, 11:32:12 PM »
Okay, here's a quick review, and I will do an extended one better.  I must say, it's a totally different experience listening to this album on your Ipod or bumpin it in your ride.  Because this shit BANGS! so if you bump it in your ride it's a whole lot better.  Also, Imagine if Eminem were a new artist and we heard this album, we'd all be talking about how sick his flow is and how great the album sounds.

1.  Intro-  Very nice lead in to "3Am"
2.  "3 A.M"-  9 out of 10 -Sick flow, horror rap, cinematic.  Great beat, rhymes, the content is a little too loose, doesn't tell a clear story.  
3.  "My Mom"-  7.5 out of 10-  this shit bangs... one of the better content songs on the album.  Reminds me a little bit of his old unreleased track "Our House" although Our House was a better song with better content, it didn't bump like this track does.
4.   "Insane"-  2 out of 10-  Didn't like this song.  Couldn't really stomach the content, and the sound couldn't make up for it.
5.  "Bagpipes From Baghdad" 9 out of 10-  THIS SHIT BANGS LIKE A MUTHERFUCKER!!!!!!!  The beat is a MONSTER!  Dre used some middle eastern sounds and Eminem flows his ass off.
6.  "Hello"  (will review this one later)
7.  "Tonya"  skit
8.  "Same Song And Dance"-  2 out of 10-  Didn't like this, I guess he was talking about Lindsey Lohan or Britney's drug problem or something
9.   "Medicine Ball"  -9 out of 10-  I think this is that next level sound we were looking for.  
10.  "Paul" skit
11.  "Stay Wide Awake"-  9 out of 10-  next level shit
12.  "Old Times Sake"-  4 out of 10-  don't know why people liked this song.  It was simple, the hook was the best part and it was only decent.
13.  "Must Be The Ganga"-  8 out of 10-  starts out great, second verse kind of weakens.  Should of been a great smokin song but he may have ruined it with some of his lyrics, not sure.
14.  "Mr. Mathers"-  skit
15.  "Deja Vu"-  9.5 out of 10-  Solid content.  Not just him trying to say fucked up shit, but this song was actually a complete train of thought from beggining to end.
16.  "Beautiful" -  9 out of 10-  Kind of reminds me of "Mocking Bird".  Pretty good concept, last verse is great.  Very personal track sort of like something off of his Eminem Show Album.  Kind of like "Say Goodbye To Hollywood" but not quite as good as that.
17.  "Crack A Bottle"-  8.5 out of 10-  Don't know why this song caught so much hate.  It's pretty bangin!!
18.   "Steve Berman"  skit, very funny, very true... lol
19.   "Underground"   8 out of 10-  beat is a MONSTER, maybe I should give it a higher rating but I haven't listened to it enough.  Obviously he was going for a similar theme as "Criminal" to end his MMLP.  It's not as great as "Criminal" obviously, but it's very dope.

(by the way I'm one track short because all 20 couldn't fit on my cd, so I had to cut one so I cut "We Made You")
My First Officially Schedule Rap Battle on Stage as an undercard to the undercard match

(btw, Earth 🌎 is not a spinning water ball)

Episcop Cruel Cvrle

« Reply #204 on: May 08, 2009, 12:08:46 AM »
after my first listen i gotta say..album is solid for real.

starting again, gotta check one more time

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

SLAUGHTERHOUSE PLAYER YOU ALREADY KNOW THO,A PIG IS OUR LOGO, BUT WE AINT THA PO-PO

WWW.DYNASTYENTGROUP.COM    WWW.THEBOSSBOARD.COM

crip-hop

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #205 on: May 08, 2009, 12:59:27 AM »
this is unlistenable, hes voice is annoying, waste of great beats

BlueSwan

• Muthafuckin' OG
« Reply #206 on: May 08, 2009, 01:00:43 AM »
Also, Imagine if Eminem were a new artist and we heard this album, we'd all be talking about how sick his flow is and how great the album sounds.
^Truest thing written in this thread!

I'm feeling this album. I don't really want to compare it to Eminems other albums just yet, but this is solid stuff. The beats are on point and the flow is insane. My only objection is the same as most others: the accent is annoying as hell. Imagine how this album would bang if he used his normal voice.

Trizzle

• Muthafuckin' Double OG
  • #Section80
« Reply #207 on: May 08, 2009, 01:13:38 AM »
can someone send me a link plz?

da chronic

• Muthafuckin' OG
« Reply #208 on: May 08, 2009, 01:26:04 AM »
My quick opinion on the whole album after one listen :

Damn, Dr. Dre did it again !!!  8)
I mean, seriously, the album is a one hour long BANGER ! It's pure dope, like an eminem version of detox...

After that, yeah em has not changed and is still a bit childish sometimes ... but anyway

On the whole, the album is an instant classic in terms of production, as it's one of the most perfectly produced hip hop albums of all time.

Dre made it sound crazy ! DETOOOOXXXXXXXXXXXX BABY, can't wait

The D.O.C and

Lucifuge

« Reply #209 on: May 08, 2009, 01:29:17 AM »
i think the last song is prewiew how relapse 2 gonna sound
« Last Edit: May 08, 2009, 01:30:59 AM by Bosna Boi »
ALESSANDRO DEL PIERO!!!

Detox 2000Never

tyranasaurus rex like fuck a bitch
i once saw a pterdactyl fuck a bitch
eat a bowl these bitch gobbling dick
hoes forgot to eat a dick a shut the fuck up
roll through crenshaw on my pterdactyl like what up!
By kevin t as Kurupt :D