Author Topic: Official Eminem "Relapse" Discussion Thread  (Read 21091 times)

Digital Pimpin'

Re: Official Eminem "Relapse" Discussion Thread
« Reply #225 on: May 08, 2009, 04:53:33 AM »
Mark Batson co-produced "Goriila Pimpin 5008" off Bishop's Confessional with Che Vicious...that was one of my favourite tracks last summer. 8)
you've got to admit that the drumsounds were cheap as hell.

ask Matty

Maybe they were, but it bangs on my big speakers so I haven't bothered to dissect and critique the beat.

Of course, now you've mentioned this I'll be checking for cheap drum sounds every time I listen to it lol

R1ZE

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Do 4 Love
« Reply #226 on: May 08, 2009, 05:03:18 AM »
What's with everybody being a tuff critic?  It's good music, it wasn't meant 2 be mind shattering or the soundtrack for world domination.

people have diff tastes... for some people rapping about lindsey lohan and popping vicodins isnt what we wanna hear

what people wonna hear? Nate Dogg singig abaut geting bitches and he can fuck hes own wife?? Or Hearing Kurupt or Knock rapping abaut gang bang and they never beat some one..what u wonna hear..?

True shit.

Different taste is one thing but people take their opinions and themselves way too serious.  I'd like to see someone on dubcc makes music better and not some FL Studio groove that's a variation of their favorite producers work.

ugh, worst defense ever

if all critics had to be able to be better than what they're reviewing then there wouldnt be any.

eminems lyrics are fucking garbage.

Dre-Day

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • No justice, no peace
« Reply #227 on: May 08, 2009, 05:07:37 AM »
'Deja Vu' is the best track on the album. one of the only tracks where the production and the delivery actually fit together and eminem isn't doing a stupid voice or a terrible hook.

the beats i like the most - 'Medicine Ball' and 'Must Be The Ganja' 'My Mom' and 'Hello'. i can think of artists who would do a much better job on these though. for example - 'Must Be The Ganja' would be the IDEAL beat for snoop or even knoc ;D

i got a feeling Dre-Day will be into 'Underground' for the big opera/orchestra dramatic tones.
hell yeah, this shit is  :o and Em's flow is  :bomb: :rock:
this track is the highlight of the album.

i like Deja Vu too; did Dre flip the french sample?

Mark Batson co-produced "Goriila Pimpin 5008" off Bishop's Confessional with Che Vicious...that was one of my favourite tracks last summer. 8)

ask Matty

Maybe they were, but it bangs on my big speakers so I haven't bothered to dissect and critique the beat.

Of course, now you've mentioned this I'll be checking for cheap drum sounds every time I listen to it lol
i hope that this is a compliment, and not a diss  :laugh:  :'(

Whos the cat who mixed all of Dre's beats?
Dre's engineer

Okka

« Reply #228 on: May 08, 2009, 05:09:41 AM »
Aye yo Dre-Day, what you think about the beat on "Stay Wide Awake" ?

Laconic

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Barracuda With It.
« Reply #229 on: May 08, 2009, 05:11:01 AM »
Not feeling Em's subject matter at all regardless of the "concept."  However, his flow is crazy and you can definitely tell he's been hittin the treadmill with that type of breath control.

The beats are pretty good for the most part.  Still don't completely understand the Dre dickriding though.  There are better producers out there who don't take years to release product.
like who?

Kno of Cunninlynguists, Ant from Atmosphere, Sabzi from Blue Scholars/Common Market, Dj Khalil, etc.
i can't speak on most of them, but DJ Khalil? lol.
his sound is sometimes experimental, but that doesn't necessarily make the final product better.
i find it funny that you mention him though, cause he imitates Dre from time to time  :P

to me there's no one as consistent as Dre: he's been dropping quality for several years now

Khalil does Dre beats better than Dre does them IMO.  And apparently he's not afraid to actually release product to be dissected.  Don't get me wrong, it's great that Dre did all of Em's new record minus the 1 but we're talking 10 years now since he's done that.  And again, he needs others to make his shit as hot as it is.  Just like his lyrics, almost everything is co-written/produced.  I personally feel like it's a kick in the balls to Rakim, Joell Ortiz, Bishop and many others, including and, especially the fans, out there who could be doing some thing AMAZING with the production that is supplied.  This shit kills me.  At the end of the day like so many others, DRE is concerned with making money instead of integrity.   :-[

i thought we were discussing Dre's work, not the actual person  :P
cause i can write pages about that too  ;)

but the statement that Dre needs other people to make his stuff hot is just bullshit.
that's bias right there

How is that bias?  Dre has a whole team with him almost every time he drops something.  Co-producers, key players, guitar players, mixers, engineers and so forth.  That's a fact. 

his sound is sometimes experimental, but that doesn't necessarily make the final product better.
i find it funny that you mention him though, cause he imitates Dre from time to time :P

to me there's no one as consistent as Dre: he's been dropping quality for several years now

Well, Khalil has been workin with Dre for a long time, maybe he is responsible for some of the Dr. Dre "sounds" we all love. In 2003 Bad Azz said that Dr. Dre got this guy called Khalil ghostproducing for him.
if anything, Khalil serves as an inspiration for Dre ( for Detox)

Jynxx

• Muthafuckin' OG
  • Hip Hop Producer/Artist
« Reply #230 on: May 08, 2009, 05:16:14 AM »
underground is the best shit on this cd!!!

Dre-Day

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • No justice, no peace
« Reply #231 on: May 08, 2009, 05:17:25 AM »
Not feeling Em's subject matter at all regardless of the "concept."  However, his flow is crazy and you can definitely tell he's been hittin the treadmill with that type of breath control.

The beats are pretty good for the most part.  Still don't completely understand the Dre dickriding though.  There are better producers out there who don't take years to release product.
like who?

Kno of Cunninlynguists, Ant from Atmosphere, Sabzi from Blue Scholars/Common Market, Dj Khalil, etc.
i find it funny that you mention him though, cause he imitates Dre from time to time  :P

Khalil does Dre beats better than Dre does them IMO.  And apparently he's not afraid to actually release product to be dissected.  Don't get me wrong, it's great that Dre did all of Em's new record minus the 1 but we're talking 10 years now since he's done that.  And again, he needs others to make his shit as hot as it is.  Just like his lyrics, almost everything is co-written/produced.  I personally feel like it's a kick in the balls to Rakim, Joell Ortiz, Bishop and many others, including and, especially the fans, out there who could be doing some thing AMAZING with the production that is supplied.  This shit kills me.  At the end of the day like so many others, DRE is concerned with making money instead of integrity.   :-[

but the statement that Dre needs other people to make his stuff hot is just bullshit.
that's bias right there

How is that bias?  Dre has a whole team with him almost every time he drops something.  Co-producers, key players, guitar players, mixers, engineers and so forth.  That's a fact. 

it is bias because you take a subjective argument as a fact.
it is a fact that Dre doesn't do everything by himself, but that doesn't mean that he's not the locomotive.
you might as well discredit Paris & other producers that work similar as Dre

it has a cool vibe, but it's a bit repetitive to me like 3am

Digital Pimpin'

« Reply #232 on: May 08, 2009, 05:18:10 AM »

ask Matty

It's neither  ;)

I know that if I analyse the beat too much I'll find something I don't like - and now I'll be bitching about the drums everytime I hear it...thanks  :-\

Also the reason why I've not really been reading all the replies in this thread; I'm enjoying Relapse at the moment, ignorance is bliss  ;D

Laconic

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Barracuda With It.
« Reply #233 on: May 08, 2009, 05:30:51 AM »

like who?

that's bias right there

it is a fact that Dre doesn't do everything by himself, but that doesn't mean that he's not the locomotive.

Paris doesn't have an entire squad of people around him.  He writes, produces, arranges, performs and mixes almost everything he releases.  He also does the photography, cover designs, layout and graphics.  However, he has an engineer, Bruce, who also does some guitar work.  That's one hell of a difference between the 2.

Locomotive?  Is that why he never gets anywhere (aka releases anything?)  I would say yes.  If Dre wasn't such a perfectionist, a lovely euphemism BTW, then he would release something every year.  These excuses need to kick rocks.

shoo

• Muthafuckin' Double OG
« Reply #234 on: May 08, 2009, 05:38:27 AM »
mu opinion on the album - 7 dope songs, rest of it is garbage... i hate all the drama songs. And Beautiful is a fuckin garbage.

Lucifuge

« Reply #235 on: May 08, 2009, 05:40:00 AM »
What's with everybody being a tuff critic?  It's good music, it wasn't meant 2 be mind shattering or the soundtrack for world domination.

people have diff tastes... for some people rapping about lindsey lohan and popping vicodins isnt what we wanna hear

what people wonna hear? Nate Dogg singig abaut geting bitches and he can fuck hes own wife?? Or Hearing Kurupt or Knock rapping abaut gang bang and they never beat some one..what u wonna hear..?

True shit.

Different taste is one thing but people take their opinions and themselves way too serious.  I'd like to see someone on dubcc makes music better and not some FL Studio groove that's a variation of their favorite producers work.

ugh, worst defense ever

if all critics had to be able to be better than what they're reviewing then there wouldnt be any.

eminems lyrics are fucking garbage.

why u cheking it? see i dont check yo fav raper,he's garbage 8) :D
ALESSANDRO DEL PIERO!!!

Detox 2000Never

tyranasaurus rex like fuck a bitch
i once saw a pterdactyl fuck a bitch
eat a bowl these bitch gobbling dick
hoes forgot to eat a dick a shut the fuck up
roll through crenshaw on my pterdactyl like what up!
By kevin t as Kurupt :D

Episcop Cruel Cvrle

« Reply #236 on: May 08, 2009, 05:43:47 AM »
bagpipes from baghdad bangs also.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

SLAUGHTERHOUSE PLAYER YOU ALREADY KNOW THO,A PIG IS OUR LOGO, BUT WE AINT THA PO-PO

WWW.DYNASTYENTGROUP.COM    WWW.THEBOSSBOARD.COM

Dre-Day

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • No justice, no peace
« Reply #237 on: May 08, 2009, 05:47:56 AM »

ask Matty

It's neither  ;)

I know that if I analyse the beat too much I'll find something I don't like - and now I'll be bitching about the drums everytime I hear it...thanks  :-\

Also the reason why I've not really been reading all the replies in this thread; I'm enjoying Relapse at the moment, ignorance is bliss  ;D
you know you can be a critic & still enjoy a track.

like who?

that's bias right there

Paris doesn't have an entire squad of people around him.  He writes, produces, arranges, performs and mixes almost everything he releases.  He also does the photography, cover designs, layout and graphics.  However, he has an engineer, Bruce, who also does some guitar work.  That's one hell of a difference between the 2.

Locomotive?  Is that why he never gets anywhere (aka releases anything?)  I would say yes.  If Dre wasn't such a perfectionist, a lovely euphemism BTW, then he would release something every year.  These excuses need to kick rocks.
stop looking so deep into the example; you were discrediting Dr.Dre for the fact that he doesn't do everything by himself.
i used Paris as an example, just to point out that there's nothing wrong with not doing everything by yourself.

also, lol at the sarcasm. why are switching the subject & taking my word out of context?

by the way, there's no point in trying to save your face in this conversation.
this isn't about who's right or wrong.
but i would appreciate it if you just admitted that you're biased about Dr.Dre
he may be overrated, but that's another story.

Laconic

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Barracuda With It.
« Reply #238 on: May 08, 2009, 06:04:02 AM »

ask Matty

It's neither  ;)

you know you can be a critic & still enjoy a track.

like who?

that's bias right there

Paris doesn't have an entire squad of people around him.  He writes, produces, arranges, performs and mixes almost everything he releases.  He also does the photography, cover designs, layout and graphics.  However, he has an engineer, Bruce, who also does some guitar work.  That's one hell of a difference between the 2.

Locomotive?  Is that why he never gets anywhere (aka releases anything?)  I would say yes.  If Dre wasn't such a perfectionist, a lovely euphemism BTW, then he would release something every year.  These excuses need to kick rocks.
stop looking so deep into the example; you were discrediting Dr.Dre for the fact that he doesn't do everything by himself.
i used Paris as an example, just to point out that there's nothing wrong with not doing everything by yourself.

also, lol at the sarcasm. why are switching the subject & taking my word out of context?

by the way, there's no point in trying to save your face in this conversation.
this isn't about who's right or wrong.
but i would appreciate it if you just admitted that you're biased about Dr.Dre
he may be overrated, but that's another story.

I'm discrediting Dre because he does very little himself and yet he gets all the recognition when, in fact, he has a good number of people who make him who he is.  And I'm discrediting his fans who only give recognition to Dre himself.  And the Paris example is perfect for what I originally said in my 1st post.

LOL@ trying to save face.  You've got to be kidding me!!  I'm one of the few on here who uses logic when I write.  And I'm not biased towards Dre.  I'm honest.  I love some of his work and the guy has an incredible ear for music but that's it.  I know of many who have an incredible ear for music though.  And it doesn't take them 10 years to produce a record.  Not sure what you're trying to accomplish here. 

T-Dogg

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #239 on: May 08, 2009, 06:12:22 AM »
I listened through the album, and it's pretty much what I expected it to be based on the singles.

Production bangs, without a doubt. But with Dr. Dre and the team lacing all the beats except one, that's hardly a surprise.

Eminem comes off good - not mindblowing stuff, but it's the type of Slim Shady stuff you're allowed to expect from the man by now. The flows are on point and there's a consistent theme of insanity/drug addiction/trauma going on throughout - unlike on Encore, where the tracks weren't connected by any theme. And while Encore had a lot of bad stuff and a few gems, Relapse has just good stuff and a few gems. The lyrics aren't that hard hitting on all tracks and sometimes dude goes off tangent, but those lapses aren't that serious that they'd ruin anything. Em uses some accents here and there, but at least to me they weren't annoying this time around.

Em delivers a solid dose of Slim Shady on Relapse - the drug addicted psycho that he is. There isn't anything radically new in the whole concept - but what's done is done well. But frankly, this is Eminem's 5th album - I'm not expecting him to surprise me anymore. I leave that to the new cats. 'Cause let's face it - if the old favourites stopped doing what we expect them to do, we'd feel they're selling out. Redman has alwyays been Redman, Biggie was always Biggie, Ice Cube is always Ice Cube - and Em is always Em.

So all in all - a solid package of dope beats, never-tiring flows and a solid theme throughout. The lyrics aren't always quite up to par and thematically there's nothing really new here, but overall Relapse was a good experience. Just like I expected - not bad, not excellent, but good. It'll get the occasional spin once added to my collection, but won't get the special treatment the classics do. If I were to give it a number... let's say a 7 /10. Maybe even an 8 when the mood/company/weather is just right.

[EDIT]

Oh, and to add one more thing - there's only one track that sticks out in a negative way: the first single "We Made You". And it sticks out for exactly what it is - the last minute, pop-track addition that they thought they needed to have on the album.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2009, 06:17:15 AM by T-Dogg »