Author Topic: The New Marketing Techniques For Selling Relapse Should Be Discussed Here  (Read 195 times)

TraceOneInfinite Flat Earther 96'

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Permanent Resident Flat Erth 1996 Pre-Sept. 13th
Interscope is really going to set some new trends with this album, ya'll have to peep....

This is a new digital age, people aren't buying cd's anymore.  We should catch up with the times.  We always post sales numbers for albums but we need to take notice of the other avenue's in which Interscope is profiting off of Eminem's newest album, Relapse.  Here's a few things I've noticed from his website, I want you guys to comment on these and add more things I may have missed.  Because this is going to be the new way in which record labels are going to profit off their artists.  In fact, the whole record industry is not only waiting to see how Eminem is going to come artistically so they can bite his style, but they are also waiting to see what Eminem and Interscope records will come up with and bite their marketing techniques as well.  Next thing you know Dame Dash and those guys will be doing the same thing for artists like Jim Jones....

Anyway, here's a list of all the ways in which Interscope is planning to profit off Em's album-

#1.  Record Sales-  That's the obvious one, the traditional avenue for profit.  But in today's general market they can maybe only expect to sale 4 million on an album that probably would have sold nearly 10 million in the mid 90's before the Napster era began.

#2.  ITunes-  Notice on his website it advertises "Old Times Sake" with a link that takes you straight to Itunes where you can purchase the song.  By releasing nearly 4 singles before the album was released I think Interscope has already profited a great deal off sales for those singles on Itunes.  Although the problem with this is I don't know how many people actually BUY songs at ITunes when they can probably find them for free elsewhere.

#3.  Video-  Did you notice "3 A.M" is premiering on Cinemax?  Interscope is probably getting some money from Cinemax to be the first to air his video.  So notice they made the video more cinematic, therefore it could play like a movie on Cinemax.  So look for more artists in the future to start making movies out of their songs and then place them on movie channels like HBO or Cinemax.  Maybe even Payperview in the future?  who knows...

#4.  Marvel Comics-  Eminem As The Punisher!   Notice their is a link to Marvel Comics website.  This is attracting alot of people to Marvel Comics website where they can now read comics online.  So therefore this could be a jump-off for the promotion of Online Comics!  Something new people are going to be exposed to.  And if Eminem's album generates alot of exposure for Marvels new Online Comics and many people sign up at the link, no doubt Marvel Comics will reward Interscope handsomely.

#5.  Relapse Video Game for Iphone-  Did you guys notice the Relapse video game they are selling for the Iphone?  It looked pretty sick.  This could also be a new thing for albums to come with video games you can download to your phone.  Therefore Interscope can make up for lost album sales by selling video games of the album.  Very interesting, could be a new trend.

#6.  Text.  There was an option to be on Eminem's "mobile list".  I'm not sure what that was all about.  Maybe someone else can explain. It's over on the left side of his website.

#7.  Ringtones.  Many ringtone sales may be generated off this album.  This is a trend that has already begun and allowed many labels to profit in the new market.

Ya'll take it from here...
My First Officially Schedule Rap Battle on Stage as an undercard to the undercard match

(btw, Earth 🌎 is not a spinning water ball)

weedhead

• Muthafuckin' Don!
take that idea and shuve it up ass...thats crazy homie.why would i want to push that shitty lp.any further.please. ???

• Muthafuckin' Don!
Just realized another one...

#8.  Directory for Rehab Centers-   Eminem has a clever advertisement for his album at the website.  It's him standing in front of a fictional rehab center.  However, if you look further it actually has links and names to REAL rehab centers.  Which possibly means Interscope may be making money anytime a person links to their Rehab center through Eminem's website!
My First Officially Schedule Rap Battle on Stage as an undercard to the undercard match

• Muthafuckin' Don!
take that idea and shuve it up ass...thats crazy homie.why would i want to push that shitty lp.any further.please. ???

Because.. Interscope is setting new trends with this album that are going to become the future of music.  So if you interested in the music industry you need to pay attention.

weedhead

• Muthafuckin' Don!

Because.. Interscope is setting new trends with this album that are going to become the future of music.  So if you interested in the music industry you need to pay attention.
now i agree 110 on that.good look.

OcToExtraordinaire

• Hookup Maestro
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
You forget a lot of things. Product placement, viral marketing, etc etc.

J.E.

• Muthafuckin' Don!

• Muthafuckin' Don!
You forget a lot of things. Product placement, viral marketing, etc etc.

I know I forgot a ton of stuff.  That's why I wanted people to add to my list or discuss those other things in this thread.

OcToExtraordinaire

• Hookup Maestro
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
I know I forgot a ton of stuff.  That's why I wanted people to add to my list or discuss those other things in this thread.
Don't worry, i'm not blaming you.

• Muthafuckin' Don!

Jynxx

• Muthafuckin' OG
  • Hip Hop Producer/Artist
Interscope is really going to set some new trends with this album, ya'll have to peep....

This is a new digital age, people aren't buying cd's anymore.  We should catch up with the times.  We always post sales numbers for albums but we need to take notice of the other avenue's in which Interscope is profiting off of Eminem's newest album, Relapse.  Here's a few things I've noticed from his website, I want you guys to comment on these and add more things I may have missed.  Because this is going to be the new way in which record labels are going to profit off their artists.  In fact, the whole record industry is not only waiting to see how Eminem is going to come artistically so they can bite his style, but they are also waiting to see what Eminem and Interscope records will come up with and bite their marketing techniques as well.  Next thing you know Dame Dash and those guys will be doing the same thing for artists like Jim Jones....

Anyway, here's a list of all the ways in which Interscope is planning to profit off Em's album-

#1.  Record Sales-  That's the obvious one, the traditional avenue for profit.  But in today's general market they can maybe only expect to sale 4 million on an album that probably would have sold nearly 10 million in the mid 90's before the Napster era began.

#2.  ITunes-  Notice on his website it advertises "Old Times Sake" with a link that takes you straight to Itunes where you can purchase the song.  By releasing nearly 4 singles before the album was released I think Interscope has already profited a great deal off sales for those singles on Itunes.  Although the problem with this is I don't know how many people actually BUY songs at ITunes when they can probably find them for free elsewhere.

#3.  Video-  Did you notice "3 A.M" is premiering on Cinemax?  Interscope is probably getting some money from Cinemax to be the first to air his video.  So notice they made the video more cinematic, therefore it could play like a movie on Cinemax.  So look for more artists in the future to start making movies out of their songs and then place them on movie channels like HBO or Cinemax.  Maybe even Payperview in the future?  who knows...

#4.  Marvel Comics-  Eminem As The Punisher!   Notice their is a link to Marvel Comics website.  This is attracting alot of people to Marvel Comics website where they can now read comics online.  So therefore this could be a jump-off for the promotion of Online Comics!  Something new people are going to be exposed to.  And if Eminem's album generates alot of exposure for Marvels new Online Comics and many people sign up at the link, no doubt Marvel Comics will reward Interscope handsomely.

#5.  Relapse Video Game for Iphone-  Did you guys notice the Relapse video game they are selling for the Iphone?  It looked pretty sick.  This could also be a new thing for albums to come with video games you can download to your phone.  Therefore Interscope can make up for lost album sales by selling video games of the album.  Very interesting, could be a new trend.

#6.  Text.  There was an option to be on Eminem's "mobile list".  I'm not sure what that was all about.  Maybe someone else can explain. It's over on the left side of his website.

#7.  Ringtones.  Many ringtone sales may be generated off this album.  This is a trend that has already begun and allowed many labels to profit in the new market.

Ya'll take it from here...

umm...this been done for the longest....

• Muthafuckin' Don!

umm...this been done for the longest....

Who else has Iphone video game downloads for their albums and Marvel Online comics for their albums and links to Rehab Centers and video's premiering on Cinemax?

MediumL

nice post for those that are interested in setting up their own label or just in the music biz. I wonder how much money music companies make from video sales on iTunes btw cause if the vids dont come with the album people will have to buy them off itunes again making the company $$$s.

These used some of the old marketing tactics like the We Made U vid which gets people like bill o reilly promoting the album unintentionally. And by dropping regular singles with vids Ems presence on radio and music channels is pretty strong. On UK itunes old times sake is 33, we made u 6, 3am 42 and crack a bottle 85. Not bad for one album, with two of the songs not having music vids released and 3am being pretty radio-unfriendly.
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/DjGVAwyb454" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/DjGVAwyb454</a>