Author Topic: Going to Ghana/Kenya/Tanzania  (Read 222 times)

TobyTizzle

• Muthafuckin' Don!
Going to Ghana/Kenya/Tanzania
« on: June 02, 2009, 04:36:24 AM »
Hey guys,

im going to live in Ghana for 2 months and then travelling around Kenya and Tanzania as of July 1st, and was wondering if people had some advice, thoughts to share on those countries and their lifestyles. Wasn't sure if this forum was the appropriate place, just move if needed mods.

Cheers

LONDON!!!

• 'G'
Re: Going to Ghana/Kenya/Tanzania
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2009, 05:48:15 AM »
i heard there beautiful places, i'd like to reach those places later on in life, but do your thing, just make sure you have money and plenty of condoms

Rprcnt.cold.Nnorth

• Lil Geezy
  • spell Master
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2009, 11:02:17 AM »
I was in Ivory Coast, think it's just west of Ghana, back in 94'. They speak french, atleast where I was, because it's a former colony. Not the snobby french, but the relaxed version. Offcourse watch out for malaria and the other medical stuffs.
IC was one of the most developed area's in Africa at the time, but only holds a shivering truth at the moment; Rebels in the north, governments at the south.
I lived 2 months in the middel, back at the time. The people themselfs are very friendly, and they open up like a book. Get ready to see slaugther of goats, children pulling feathers of live chickens and gigantic frogs.

One of the greatest travels I had outside my own country, have fun.

TraceOneInfinite Flat Earther 96'

• Shot Caller
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Permanent Resident Flat Erth 1996 Pre-Sept. 13th
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2009, 12:08:08 PM »
Hey guys,

im going to live in Ghana for 2 months and then travelling around Kenya and Tanzania as of July 1st, and was wondering if people had some advice, thoughts to share on those countries and their lifestyles. Wasn't sure if this forum was the appropriate place, just move if needed mods.

Cheers

I've been to Africa twice in the last two years, and spent two months there.  I was in Senegal and Gambia.  I heard they are somewhat like Ghana, although Ghana is probably more developed economically.  Ghana is also the historical kingdom of West Africa so it has a rich history.

There is no way you will be untouched by the experience, provided that you aren't afraid to make your own moves if you have to.  There will be things you will want to see and do on the trip, and if the people you are with aren't doing things the way you want to, you have to be prepared to abandon them.  When I first arrived in Gambia for example, I was with some people who pretty much had me sitting around the house all day just sweating and eating all day.   It sucked, and I was trying to go around a little by myself, but things weren't working and I was about to leave and go home early.  I would have left with a wrong opinion and bad taste in my mouth about the country and it's people. 

Right at that time I ended up meeting one Gambian who really sat me down and was interested in what I wanted to get out of my trip, rather than just deciding for me.  This dude would end up becoming my best friend, and my second trip I organized the whole trip with him from arrival to departure.

I'm a Muslim, so I spent my trip in Muslim countries.  And the culture there is Islamic combined with an emerging Rasta culture in Gambia.  They are Muslim without the Arab influence.  Music is frowned upon in many Arab cultures, but in West Africa it is one of the central components of their everyday life and culture.   Which was great for me because that was part of my reason for going, I loved all their sights and sounds and got deep into the culture and way of life.

I made a thread about my whole trip last November so I will post a link later on.  Peace. 

My First Officially Schedule Rap Battle on Stage as an undercard to the undercard match

(btw, Earth 🌎 is not a spinning water ball)

TobyTizzle

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2009, 01:09:48 AM »
Thanks for the replies guys.

Well I am teaching in Ghana for 2 months so not really going with a tour group, and have asked to be situated in a remote area to get a good experience of African life.

Finishing off with 6 days in Zanzibar  ;D

I heard they are very religious in Ghana, but Musilims and Christians get along quite well?

TraceOneInfinite Flat Earther 96'

• Shot Caller
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Permanent Resident Flat Erth 1996 Pre-Sept. 13th
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2009, 01:52:39 AM »
Thanks for the replies guys.

Well I am teaching in Ghana for 2 months so not really going with a tour group, and have asked to be situated in a remote area to get a good experience of African life.

Finishing off with 6 days in Zanzibar  ;D

I heard they are very religious in Ghana, but Musilims and Christians get along quite well?

They get along very well!

From everything I've read and heard Christians and Muslims get along very well in Ghana, like brothers and sisters.  In Senegal and Gambia it was like that as well.

This isn't true for all of Africa.  I know Somalian Muslims don't get along well with Ethiopian Christians.  And there are no Christian Somalians in Somalia because in some cases it is not tolerated. 

I wish I could say that this is because Somalia is East African and point the blame at their Arab influence in making them so stubborn.  But even in West Africa their are some regions known for intolerance.  Nigeria has intense conflict between Muslim and Christian.  Nigeria seems to be the exception to many rules when it comes to West Africa. 

Anyway... why don't you tell us more about your job, and how you ended up getting a contract to work in Africa, and what your looking forward to in your trip?
My First Officially Schedule Rap Battle on Stage as an undercard to the undercard match

(btw, Earth 🌎 is not a spinning water ball)

TobyTizzle

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2009, 03:48:34 PM »
Thanks for the info.

Well I just found I was stuck in a rut at work and honestly my long term girlfriend (8 year relationship, broke up last march) split up with me and i was pretty low. I was sitting at work (I teach grade 6 in Australia) and decided I needed a change of environment. I looked at teaching overseas on the net for like a whole day, but then decided maybe it was for another time and applied for another local job. Heard back from the job and got an interview so put the overseas plans on hold. Had the interview, went well I thought, but then heard 3 weeks later I didn't get it. That day I went back to the Projects Abroad site and locked myself in and the ball got rolling since last august.

It's a voluntary position so I had to take unpaid leave from my current teaching job to do so. I tried to go term one but my principal wanted me at school in term 1, so we agreed on term 3.

Projects Abroad said I could go in a built up area, like Accra or Kumasi I guess, or a more remote region, so I opted for that. The details of where I will be and the age groups I will be teaching are still very vague, as they have a lot of 3rd parties involved they don't give off the details until the end.

I stay with a family there, and can travel and do what I want on the weekends. I am hoping to get a look at Ivory Coast, but it seems very unstable at the moment. Haven't heard much about Togo.

Just looking forward to finally meeting the kids and the people of Ghana, been on my mind since last August!! Been shopping and buying little shoes and soccer balls etc to take to them.

I'm a little concerned about health, I have had all the needles and have malaria tablets but they don't fully protect you. A lot of people say a white person willl attrack extra attention and people begging for money will be assuming I am rich (far from it!), so I have to be careful to hold my ground but still be generous for those who really need. I dunno, will be intereting. I really want to immerse myself in the community, and I want to contribute to it.

President Obama is going to be in Ghana on the 10th and 11th of June in Accra, so I will be going out to the city to hopefully catch a glimpse!