Author Topic: The Artists or the Fans?  (Read 1397 times)

you gon always be my latin queen bitch

• Muthafuckin' Don!
Re: The Artists or the Fans?
« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2009, 09:11:58 PM »
ive been sayin FUCK THA INDUSTRY FOR YEARS and it jus so happens thats been tech n9nes movement and has numerous traxx dedicated to that exact movement
but like i said rappers like tech n9ne need mtv or for that matter tech n9ne dont need wack rappers like wayne's co-sign or nuthin why:
1.HE STARTED HIS OWN GRIND
2.HE HAS HIS OWN TOUR BUSSES THAT HE OWNS
3.HE DOES BETWEEN 250-300 SHOWS A YEAR, SOMETIMES EVEN MORE THAN THAT
4.HE HAS HIS OWN LABEL
5.HE RELEASES HIS ALBUM AND HIS ARTISTS ALBUMS

so he doesnt wait for wayne to buy him a tour bus, or for t.i. to co-sign and try and get his album out
look at jae millz?
look at red cafe?
look at saigon?
look at paopose?

not to mention "legends" like yukmouth, look how hard he is tryna to get back in the game but look at the way hes tryna come back in recordin wit tpain, akon, ray and them types, thats a failure but he wont admitt it

and theres many more?
they all waitin for that co-sign, for that shit to be fed to em, but yeah they claim they the dopest rapper alive.  they all waitin for bet, mtv, help from someone wit that skrilla and that power to get them out there.  
difference wit tech, he put his face and muzik out there and hes out there but at the same time
1.he makes the muzik he wants
2.he says "fuck tha industry" on his records
3.he doesnt record wit tpain, akon, rick ross etc...

but leave that mtv shit for wack rappers like t.i, wayne, slim thug, tpain who make that teenager type shit. 
yeah its a loss for underground rappers but at the end of the day
PRIDE>>>mtv, bet...
MONEY>>mtv, bet

« Last Edit: May 15, 2009, 09:16:47 PM by enyce »
damn u still havent logged off...ur hurting everyone with all this wack shit u drop, it hurts more then getting the swine flu
Tue, Mar 16, 2010 at 8:15 AM By: Ice Cube
Me and Mack 10 together again? I never say never, but he has the kiss the ring first.
Cube
gbee:@ Petey: you sound like a broken record, time to grow up.

Dre-Day

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • No justice, no peace
« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2009, 01:31:37 AM »
Who is to blame for the bullshit music that gets put out today?  A lot of people keep pointing fingers at the artists (including myself at times). But are the artists really to blame? Or are they simply giving the people what they want?  I think the Hip Hop fanbase has changed so drastically, that we now have to hear what the majority of so called Hip Hop fans want...and thats watered down, booty-shake, bullshit Hip Hop that should be considered more Pop then anything. Whatta yall think?
the fans: they complain, but secretly support the wrong type of music

Triple OG Rapsodie

« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2009, 02:30:03 AM »
i agree with daygo.  the fans want that ring tone shit.  thats why wayne, tpain, kanye, etc go multi-platinum, while tech sells 500K.  

i see where you coming from enyce, but MTV would have no incentive to promote an underground rapper.  the mtv audience doesnt care about  substance in the music, they just want that autotune in the club lets get drunk shit.  PLUS, not to mention all the payola MTV gets from labels to promote their artist on a heavy rotation.  

Whats wrong with 500k? Most of the mainstream cats don't even platinum, even with all the airplay and support.

.:DaYg0sTyLz:.

« Reply #18 on: May 16, 2009, 09:10:07 AM »
I think its just a matter of whether or not the music media (MTV, Radio, etc) influences the fans....or do the fans influence the media. Im sure its a little bit of both. But at the end of the day, the media has to play what the fans want to hear...or else their network goes away.  Like out here for example, theres been plenty of radio stations throughout the years (the most recent, 98.9) that started up with the idea of playing mostly local artists, westcoast artists....and just more REAL shit.  It was all gravy at first, and slowly....they switched just like all the rest. Why? Not enough people were tuning in.

And yeah, the majors dont go after talent...we know that shit. The go after marketability. Whos got the best gimmick.  But whoa re they marketing to? The fans.  If tomorrow, there were more fans who wanted to hear a rapper like tech n9ne.....tech n9ne would instantly be on MTV.

"...and these niggas gettin tattoo tears...industry Bloods that show fear, when the authentics are near"

.:DaYg0sTyLz:.

« Reply #19 on: May 16, 2009, 09:11:04 AM »
i agree with daygo.  the fans want that ring tone shit.  thats why wayne, tpain, kanye, etc go multi-platinum, while tech sells 500K.  

i see where you coming from enyce, but MTV would have no incentive to promote an underground rapper.  the mtv audience doesnt care about  substance in the music, they just want that autotune in the club lets get drunk shit.  PLUS, not to mention all the payola MTV gets from labels to promote their artist on a heavy rotation.  

Whats wrong with 500k? Most of the mainstream cats don't even platinum, even with all the airplay and support.

if youre smart about your paper...then 500K on an Indy could net u more then goin platinum on a major. Thats for sure.
"...and these niggas gettin tattoo tears...industry Bloods that show fear, when the authentics are near"

kuruptDPG

« Reply #20 on: May 16, 2009, 10:42:12 AM »
Who is to blame for the bullshit music that gets put out today?  A lot of people keep pointing fingers at the artists (including myself at times). But are the artists really to blame? Or are they simply giving the people what they want?  I think the Hip Hop fanbase has changed so drastically, that we now have to hear what the majority of so called Hip Hop fans want...and thats watered down, booty-shake, bullshit Hip Hop that should be considered more Pop then anything. Whatta yall think?

thats true, if the fans never bought whoevers album then the rapper might just think damn whats goin here? got to go back to my old style.

Triple OG Rapsodie

« Reply #21 on: May 16, 2009, 11:39:47 AM »
I think its just a matter of whether or not the music media (MTV, Radio, etc) influences the fans....or do the fans influence the media. Im sure its a little bit of both. But at the end of the day, the media has to play what the fans want to hear...or else their network goes away.  Like out here for example, theres been plenty of radio stations throughout the years (the most recent, 98.9) that started up with the idea of playing mostly local artists, westcoast artists....and just more REAL shit.  It was all gravy at first, and slowly....they switched just like all the rest. Why? Not enough people were tuning in.

And yeah, the majors dont go after talent...we know that shit. The go after marketability. Whos got the best gimmick.  But whoa re they marketing to? The fans.  If tomorrow, there were more fans who wanted to hear a rapper like tech n9ne.....tech n9ne would instantly be on MTV.

you got a point. But I think there's also a good percentage of the fans who just follow along and listen to whoever is hot, or are just too lazy to go out and find better music. There's a TON of people who only listen to mainstream hip hop and only know about mainstream rappers. Even if they only like that pop style, there's a lot of underground rappers who emulate the pop style so you would think they'd know about those rappers as well. Lets face it, a lot of people are just sheep and only listen to what's popular, not cause of the style but just because its popular. this includes the people complaining about the state of hip hop. If they really cared they would be searching out the underground artists who are making good music and not spending all their time bitching about the popular artists.

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #22 on: May 16, 2009, 11:44:58 AM »
yeah your right rapsodie
for example:
theres a few underground groups that another member on a board kept on tellin me to check out
i didnt cuz i thought he was bullshitin and and i was thinkin they were some wanna be rappers jus tryna get in the game (and there are many of them) but i finally checked their muzik out and by far they got some of the dopest muzik ive heard in years.  but it was my extra step of wantin to hear them (finally)
and also another problem is I think theres so many rappers or people that want to be rappers, but are wack and shouldnt be rappin

you got a point. But I think there's also a good percentage of the fans who just follow along and listen to whoever is hot, or are just too lazy to go out and find better music. There's a TON of people who only listen to mainstream hip hop and only know about mainstream rappers. Even if they only like that pop style, there's a lot of underground rappers who emulate the pop style so you would think they'd know about those rappers as well. Lets face it, a lot of people are just sheep and only listen to what's popular, not cause of the style but just because its popular. this includes the people complaining about the state of hip hop. If they really cared they would be searching out the underground artists who are making good music and not spending all their time bitching about the popular artists.
damn u still havent logged off...ur hurting everyone with all this wack shit u drop, it hurts more then getting the swine flu
Me and Mack 10 together again? I never say never, but he has the kiss the ring first.
Cube

Crockett

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Smile Boys Were About To Retire
« Reply #23 on: May 16, 2009, 12:08:14 PM »
sony told eiht.. you gotta be more like "puffy" to get your next deal he turned it down and hasent sold over 20k a release but no one shows him love for sticking to his guns... btw is there anyway to find out what "last man Standing" did in sales also sony re released "We come Strapped" and "death Threats" for the 3rd time so they must be selling to a degree

D-Nice

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I Made Jesus Walks/So I Ain't Never Going To Hell
« Reply #24 on: May 16, 2009, 01:36:45 PM »

^^^ yep ^^^
so fuck the fucks who bought ego trippin'.

www.dubcnn.com

Let's get to Washington DC rap sensation Wale, who's buzz has been growing by the day. Bun B mentioned him as one of his favorites in his dubcnn interview, he's co-signed by Kanye West and Jay-Z, and now he's officially under the wing of musical mastermind Mark Ronson. It looks like this could be Wale's year and in preparation for his album, the shoe fanatic is releasing a "Mixtape About Nothing". We have a track off the tape available for ya'll to check out, peep "The Perfect Plan" below:

Wale - The Perfect Plan

Don't sleep on Wale.
Dope lyrics about the state of Hip Hop..... listen up!  ;) (a message to the fans  ;))

What is that supposed to mean, fuck the fucks that bought Ego Trippin?

kazam

• Lil Geezy
« Reply #25 on: May 16, 2009, 02:28:56 PM »
ITS THE BUSINESSMEN BEHIND THE ARTISTS... ANYTHING THAT IS WELL PRODUCED CAN GET FULL POSITIVE ATTENTION AS LONG AS ITS PUT IN FRON OF THE EYES OF THE FANS... COME ON, THE MEDIA DOES NOT CONTROL WHAT WE THINK THEY CONTROL WHAT WE SHOULD THINK SOMETHING ABOUT SO THATS WASSUP THEY MAKE US AUDITION SHITTY MUSIC.

D-Nice

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I Made Jesus Walks/So I Ain't Never Going To Hell
« Reply #26 on: May 16, 2009, 05:04:22 PM »
Who is to blame for the bullshit music that gets put out today?  A lot of people keep pointing fingers at the artists (including myself at times). But are the artists really to blame? Or are they simply giving the people what they want?  I think the Hip Hop fanbase has changed so drastically, that we now have to hear what the majority of so called Hip Hop fans want...and thats watered down, betake, bullshit Hip Hop that should be considered more Pop then anything. Whatta yall think?

^^^ yep ^^^

www.dubcnn.com

Let's get to Washington DC rap sensation Wale, who's buzz has been growing by the day. Bun B mentioned him as one of his favorites in his dubcnn interview, he's cosigned by Kanya West and Jay-Z, and now he's officially under the wing of musical mastermind Mark Ronson. It looks like this could be Wale's year and in preparation for his album, the shoe fanatic is releasing a "Mixtape About Nothing". We have a track off the tape available for y'all to check out, peep "The Perfect Plan" below:

Wale - The Perfect Plan

Don't sleep on Wale.
Dope lyrics about the state of Hip Hop..... listen up!  ;) (a message to the fans  ;))

It means "you" support the watered down shit.  ;)
If you look at it,what mainstream that came last year deserves support? (a direction that ain't corny)
Scarface did a great job,Nas and Cube went halfway... so what I'm saying support "good" music,not corny ass bullshit.

That is a subjective statement though. For example, well actually this is fact, but anyways, I bought Ego Tripping only listening to a couple tracks from the album. I always do that when I am buying albums, I try not to get into listening to alot of leaked material. In the same breath I bought Snoop's, I bought Paris, Cube, Nas, Scarface and others.

It's a very broad statement to say what is watered down shit and what is not. Some peeps are saying this Busta Rhymes album is a return of the Leaders Of A New School Buss. Others say it is watered down. Who is right and wrong? I understand ya statement Chad and by no means am I offended by it, but when it comes down to spending my hard earned money, I buy what I want to buy. I try to get a gauge a lil for the sound before hand but if I like it I will support it. It just so happens for me alot of the watered down bullshit I do not buy lol, but i have bought some albums probably alot of people don't like. It's all good, I enjoy it so that is really all that matters.

Triple OG Rapsodie

« Reply #27 on: May 16, 2009, 05:12:39 PM »
Who is to blame for the bullshit music that gets put out today?  A lot of people keep pointing fingers at the artists (including myself at times). But are the artists really to blame? Or are they simply giving the people what they want?  I think the Hip Hop fanbase has changed so drastically, that we now have to hear what the majority of so called Hip Hop fans want...and thats watered down, betake, bullshit Hip Hop that should be considered more Pop then anything. Whatta yall think?

^^^ yep ^^^

www.dubcnn.com

Let's get to Washington DC rap sensation Wale, who's buzz has been growing by the day. Bun B mentioned him as one of his favorites in his dubcnn interview, he's cosigned by Kanya West and Jay-Z, and now he's officially under the wing of musical mastermind Mark Ronson. It looks like this could be Wale's year and in preparation for his album, the shoe fanatic is releasing a "Mixtape About Nothing". We have a track off the tape available for y'all to check out, peep "The Perfect Plan" below:

Wale - The Perfect Plan

Don't sleep on Wale.

It means "you" support the watered down shit.  ;)
If you look at it,what mainstream that came last year deserves support? (a direction that ain't corny)
Scarface did a great job,Nas and Cube went halfway... so what I'm saying support "good" music,not corny ass bullshit.

That's stupid logic. I'm not saying the album was "good", but at least he was trying to be creative with it. If he was doing watered down shit he would've released another gangsta rap album.

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #28 on: May 16, 2009, 05:14:19 PM »
yeah but rapsodie you think if snoop, would have made another album soundin like tha last meal, it wouldnt have sold?
(that album had muzik for everyone to listen to)
Cube

LodiDodi

• Muthafuckin' OG
« Reply #29 on: May 16, 2009, 06:00:18 PM »
I think like alot of other things music is very trend based now. Labels will go with a "safe bet" dance song or album over something that might get critical acclaim but not as much commerical. Both the fans and the labels are at fault if you even want to say that. But like everything else, it goes in cycles.
Yes, it does go in cycles.  But why does it seem that most of this decade has been one long cycle?

They say trends come back every 20 years.  90's  Hip Hop was very 70's influenced because of the samples used, so maybe the '10s will be 90's influenced??