Author Topic: Want to find God?  Then FAST!!!  (Read 287 times)

infinite59

Want to find God?  Then FAST!!!
« on: April 08, 2002, 11:50:39 PM »
If I hadn't hit rock bottom a little over a year ago, I'd probably be an atheist just like the rest of ya'll.
And if it wasn't for FASTING being one of the pillars of Islam, I probably would have lost Islam as soon as my life began to turn around for the better.  I fast atleast once a week to remind myself of that emptiness I felt leeding up to my conversion.
The technique of fasting allows us to feel that emptiness that only the love of the Creator can replenish.  In the Qu'ran, Allah says that we will never be short of spiritual knowledge, and never at a loss for the wisdom of Allah, and it is that love that can fill emptiness, no matter how deep our hunger may be.  The Qu'ran offers the metaphor of the the rock, of which Allah hath made gush the freshest water in the land.  From something as hard as a rock, their are fresh springs.  In this is a lesson, that our thirst for spiritual knowledge, will never go unsatisfied, for those who have eyes.

So if you are looking to find God, rather than having to hit rock bottom first, I recommend you begin fasting, no eating or drinking from sun-up to sun-down, so you can feel that emptiness.  And strip yourself of the false illusions of life.  Only to be replenished by the love of God.

Salaam brothers- ~1~

DJ_Phiasko

Re: Want to find God?  Then FAST!!!
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2002, 12:12:04 AM »
this is the last place i would have expected to come and hear that, but thank you alot, that means alot to me. Ima take that into consideration. At the moment, and for like the past year or two i've struggled and am still struggling with finding God, or finding my God. I'm sooo confused on the matter of religion, i have so many opposing thots about it that just clutter my mind and then it causes me to want to avoid it, even tho i know i shouldn't. But thanks again
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 04:00:00 PM by 1034398800 »

Don Seer

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2002, 12:35:28 AM »
LOL...... it would be a useful way of losing weight ;) (i aint fat anyways.. but I could do with losin a little ;) )

unfortunately i cant avoid meals lik that - people would think i've gone nuts if I said i was fasting..  ::)

infinite59

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2002, 12:46:42 AM »
Here is the scholarly paraphrase of the passage (story) from the Qu'ran I was trying to re-call above.......where water springs from rocks.

Spiritual Hunger-  The story is used as a parable.  In the desolution and among the rocks of this life people grumble.  But they will not be left starving or thirsty of spiritual life.  Allah's messenger can provide abundant spiritual sustenance even from such unpromising things as the hard rocks of life.

'Illicit'

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • i rarely smoke... but i love mickey d's
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2002, 01:36:57 AM »
I agree on the fasting issue, totally. Its just I hadnt heard yet that you can fast once a week, I thought there were certain times eg. Ramaddan?    School me on that infinite if you find the time. I'll try to catch up on it myself if I find something.

I once walked into a brothel with a honeycomb and a jackass...

"Perhaps the most valuable result of all education is the ability to make yourself do the thing you have to do, when it ought to be done, whether you like it or not."

WCC Hall Of Famer

Don Jacob

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • don status, bitch
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2002, 01:56:40 PM »
they do this in christianity too, but my church teaches that fasting is just one way....because for some people (like my mom who use to be anerexic)fasting is easy and easier DONE than said,lol. so they recomend putting your biggest vice in check....like smoking, sex, tv, ect

R.I.P.  To my Queen and Princess 07-05-09

Doggystylin

« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2002, 02:03:57 PM »
yeah i fast all the way through the month of ramadan every year, and oh yeah, when you fast usually you cant do anything bad that whole day numsayin? i mean you cant go and cuss someone out, steal, or do some shit and then say yeah im fastin, lol, the whole purpose is too do good deeds and get closer to god......i can get deeper into this but i dont think i will, lol....anyways this fasting thing is good for yall, it keeps you healthy too, i mean its good for your mind and your body

ROCCY

« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2002, 02:20:56 PM »
lmao@ I need to do this..

Now_Im_Not_Banned

« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2002, 02:32:30 PM »
lmao@ I need to do this..

FUCK A MONTH! YOU NEED TO FAST FOR THE WHOLE YEAR!!! LMAO, JK....

PS, See Phiasko, we fuck around like that, we dont take it personal like your cry baby ass...Same to Blade, I dont need to talk shit behind my friends back, if i wanted to joke i would do it to his face and we'd both laugh about it, not cry like babies...

infinite59

« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2002, 04:23:52 PM »
yeah i fast all the way through the month of ramadan every year, and oh yeah, when you fast usually you cant do anything bad that whole day numsayin? i mean you cant go and cuss someone out, steal, or do some shit and then say yeah im fastin, lol, the whole purpose is too do good deeds and get closer to god......i can get deeper into this but i dont think i will, lol....anyways this fasting thing is good for yall, it keeps you healthy too, i mean its good for your mind and your body

Word, Doggy is right, and to Cee, if your a Muslim definetely fast for the month of the Ramaddan, everyday in the month, and outside of that month it's up to you if and when you want to fast, the prophet Muhammad (pbuh) fasted on Mon. and Thurs.  I usually fast every tuesday.  

Trauma-san

« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2002, 06:15:18 PM »
Latter day saints fast too, Once a month, usually, but you're supposed to whenever you have a particularly trying time, or question you need answered, or whatever.  The deal is this: Your body's physical needs are so demanding, that usually we walk around caught up in our urges, and we can't think clearly.   But if you fast, It puts everything in perspective, since it helps you more clearly see your problems.  We have fast & testimony meeting every first sunday of the month, it's a trip.

On saturday, everybody eats breakfast, then skips lunch and dinner.  We don't even drink water, just NOTHING.  Then, you wake up sunday morning, and head to chutch.  We take the sacrament (just a crumb of bread, and a vial of water) to remember Christ, then the Bishop turns the time over to whoever feels like coming up and talking.  Usually, people are waiting in line to go up and talk about what they know about god, and what they feel prompted to say.  It's a trip, I really earn a lot each month from those folks.  I haven't gotten up the balls yet to do it.  There's always grown men up their balling like a baby, and girls talking about how much Jesus has done for them, it's crazy.

Afterwards, we have a big dinner, all the women cook all this great stuff, something different every sunday.  It's really a trip, really, really fun, as boring as it sounds, it's awesome.
Peace~

PoeticJustice

« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2002, 07:34:51 PM »
why would u fast to remind u how fucked up ya life was?

infinite59

« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2002, 08:31:13 PM »
why would u fast to remind u how fucked up ya life was?

If I don't remind myself of how "fucked up my life was" I will fall right back into the trappings that made my "life fucked up"