Author Topic: "Classic" Albums that you didnt really feel were classics  (Read 2636 times)

Raphael

"Classic" Albums that you didnt really feel were classics
« on: May 17, 2009, 08:53:52 AM »
Thought id make this thread since classic is being thrown around like a everyday word, No hate just some of my opinions

off the top of my head

Jay-Z - Reasonable Doubt.....Amazing album and hands down jays best but it didnt quite do it for me for some reason
Souls Of Mischief - 93 Til' Infinity....Regarded as a classic by hiphop heads but i think most of the songs were dull , the title track is one of the best rap songs ever though.
Tha Dogg Pound - Dogg Food...considered classic by 99% of the users here but imo some boring ass tracks kept it from being a classic.

add on........

D-Nice

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I Made Jesus Walks/So I Ain't Never Going To Hell
Re: "Classic" Albums that you didnt really feel were classics
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2009, 09:32:07 AM »
I know one the Source said was a classic that was not only because Lil Kim was sucking off one of the employees is The Naked Truth. Safe bet that is not a classic lol

I thought the 1st Blueprint (Jay-Z) was mad overrated to me. Great album, classic no

Lunatic

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2009, 09:39:03 AM »
I know one the Source said was a classic that was not only because Lil Kim was sucking off one of the employees is The Naked Truth. Safe bet that is not a classic lol

I thought the 1st Blueprint (Jay-Z) was mad overrated to me. Great album, classic no

was gonna say that, DEFINITELY not a classic :D

Blueprint I go back and forth between classic or good album, so i can see where u coming from there.
Co-Director of Site Content For Raptalk.Net
Staff Writer For WordOfSouth.Com
Staff Writer For Illuminati2G.Net
Staff Writer For SoPrupRadio.com

D-Nice

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2009, 09:43:53 AM »

was gonna say that, DEFINITELY not a classic :D

Blueprint I go back and forth between classic or good album, so i can see where u coming from there.

I think beats wise yes, lyrically that is not his best album. Raphael I kind of understand what u saying as far as Jay's 1st album. It really got lost in the shuffle when it came out because it was right around the time Ready To Die was getting heavy burn, It Was Written was dropping and Pac and Snoop was running shit out west. It really picked up late 96/ early 97 and by 97 he was on Volume 1 so RD kinda made Vol 1 overlooked as well. It's was at first a underappreciated album and now after he has put more work out it is appreciated more.

MediumL

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2009, 09:49:12 AM »
I was never into any of the Naitive Tongues stuff tbh although I respect it. Stillmatic and Blueprint were dope but to me its a toss up whether they're classics. Likewise College Dropout has some skippable tracks and quite a few pointless skits which imo make it far from the flawless album it would need to be if it were a classic.
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/DjGVAwyb454" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/DjGVAwyb454</a>

Lunatic

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2009, 09:53:49 AM »
^Stillmatic is definitely a classic IMO. But I guess me saying that defeats the purpose of this thread :P

KaiserSoze

• Muthafuckin' OG
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2009, 10:03:30 AM »
You really don't think Reasonable Doubt is a classic album? I think its possibly one of the best albums ever, although I know there's a lot of Jay-haters who'll be quick to bash me. I can still listen to that album after god knows how many times and hear some dope wordplay or clever metaphor that I missed before, the way Jay hides those lyrical techniques in that album is classic in itself. This surely must be a favorite of any true fan of lyricism.

Although with that said neither Blueprint, nor the Black Album for that matter are classic in my book.

Lunatic

« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2009, 10:05:30 AM »
^Black Album is definite classic IMO. Right behind RD imo.

D-Nice

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2009, 10:07:23 AM »
You really don't think Reasonable Doubt is a classic album? I think its possibly one of the best albums ever, although I know there's a lot of Jay-haters who'll be quick to bash me. I can still listen to that album after god knows how many times and hear some dope wordplay or clever metaphor that I missed before, the way Jay hides those lyrical techniques in that album is classic in itself. This surely must be a favorite of any true fan of lyricism.

Although with that said neither Blueprint, nor the Black Album for that matter are classic in my book.

I lean more towards yes on RD being a classic album.

KaiserSoze

• Muthafuckin' OG
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2009, 10:09:07 AM »
I honestly can't see it. It's a real dope album, no question, but you can't compare what Jay did lyrically on the Black Album to Reasonable Doubt. Probably like comparing Stillmatic to Illmatic.

Lunatic

« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2009, 10:09:41 AM »
I honestly can't see it. It's a real dope album, no question, but you can't compare what Jay did lyrically on the Black Album to Reasonable Doubt. Probably like comparing Stillmatic to Illmatic.
I loved Black Album so much lol. December 4th is such a Jigga classic.

Meho

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2009, 10:11:12 AM »
Great topic. It seems to me like a lot of people on these message boards claim that an album is a classic just because everybody else says it and it's cool and it's suppose to be like that.

For me personally only classic albums are Doggystyle and Chronic. For other albums that are always claimed I either don't like the production, some tracks are boring, don't like the off beat flow... Especially most of the records in the early 90's, maybe I'm too young so I can't get with the sound back then but it's the way it is. I'm not gonna lie just because all the cool hip hop fans say so. But I can definitely appreciate the craft back then. I definitely miss the whole 1 Mc & 1 producer for the whole album.

D-Nice

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2009, 10:13:54 AM »
How bout Life After Death? Classic or no?

KaiserSoze

• Muthafuckin' OG
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2009, 10:15:14 AM »
Life After Death is another definite classic in my book. I know some people say it isn't as good as the first album and whatever because it has a universal sound and some R'n'B sounding beats, but BIG came 100% correct with the lyricics and flow as he did on the first album.

Speaking of The Chronic, how do people on this message board rate 2001?

Raphael

« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2009, 10:15:57 AM »

I feel you i can see why people think its a classic its just me i guess but i liked the pre RD jay-z more. A 1993/1994 album from Jay would be a definite CLASSIC :) jay killed that shit

btw props to all for keeping it positive and not going "fuck you thats a classic bitch" :D
« Last Edit: May 17, 2009, 10:19:14 AM by Raphael »